Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 55 56 [57] 58 59 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6123539 times)

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #840 on: January 10, 2010, 02:57:21 pm »

Limestone = win! Limestone and chalk are the best stones in the game. Screw dolomite, nothing but talc there, and marble only has copper. Limestone has malachite, magnetite, and nice veins of coal and lignite.

I just lost a fully crosstrained (legendary wrestler, shield user, and swordsdwarf) to an elite goblin sniper. Two more were wounded. I have 30 more champions, not a huge deal, but it makes me mad to lose three years of investment in training to a couple of iron bolts.

Edit: And squad 5 is made up of wusses. After their first minor injuries, they're all unhappy. Pathetic, squad 4 (the squad who lost dwarves) didn't even shed a tear.

HOLY CRAP! A freakin SWORDSDWARF just broke my record for orcput, knocking one 47 tiles! How the eff did that happen?

Edit2: and I just found the dragon nesting in my glass furnaces. Nice guy really. I guess the goblins chased him in there, I like the concept of my fort having a pet dragon. It's like a mascot.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2010, 05:37:11 pm by Grendus »
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #841 on: January 10, 2010, 04:32:31 pm »

Spoiler: Hidden Fun Stuff (click to show/hide)

Nothing to see here folks.  Just a few perverted clowns.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #842 on: January 10, 2010, 06:11:18 pm »

Spoiler: Hidden Fun Stuff (click to show/hide)

Nothing to see here folks.  Just a few perverted clowns.

How many professional military did you have to take on the pervy clowns? Just curious.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

brainfire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #843 on: January 10, 2010, 06:26:11 pm »

Not a whole lot on the fort front- I realized a while after starting to build two towers that they line up on either side of what looks like a pass that runs into the mountain range I embarked on the edge of, so it looks like they're guarding the pass. Lucky that it happened to line up that way, it makes them a lot cooler :P

One amusing thing happened, though- two giant lions wandered semi-close to my fort, and a single dwarven caravan guard wandered off from the depot to hack one of them into a couple pieces. It mangled his leg in the process, but he still decided to slowly limp after the second giant lion... and scared it all the way across the map and off the edge. Caravan guards are hardcore.
You can allow or stop your dwarves from eating these mushrooms, but it's entirely optional and doesn't turn Dwarf Fortress into Dwarf hookah-smoking pad.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #844 on: January 10, 2010, 06:32:55 pm »

How many professional military did you have to take on the pervy clowns? Just curious.

I don't have the numbers readily available anymore but I think it was something along the lines of
8 Crossbow (1 champion 4 elite 3 normal).
6 Sword (1 champion 3 elite 2 normal)
10 spear (2 champion 5 elite 3 normal)
and 3 or 4 spinal wound wrestlers using either sword or spear that took internal wounds sometime during wrestling skill training that were just given their weapons when I noticed the injuries.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #845 on: January 10, 2010, 06:37:53 pm »

Hide the women and drown the children, the baron has arrived.

Well, technically it's a baroness. And technically it's not a disaster since none of my nobles demand anything I don't have locally (short of blue gold, which I have to import the zinc for but w/e). The only irritating noble is the consort, who has a thing for idols. I may carbonite him, or I may just deal with it.

The Architect

• Bay Watcher
  • Breeding supercows. What I've been doing on DF.
    • View Profile
« Reply #846 on: January 10, 2010, 06:38:51 pm »

That's a recipe for suicide.

Spears just get stuck and force your spearmen to wrestle, so you better have them as legendary wrestlers. Champion swordmasters would be an excellent idea.

Point #2: You needed a pile of legendary soldiers, not a couple. They get tired. Also, sending in a pile of non-legendaries is likely to result only in your troops being slaughtered. Your crossbowmen were unlikely to even hit the enemy at "normal" levels of skill.
Dwarf Fortress: where blunders never cease.
The sigs topic:
Oh man, this is truly sigworthy...
Oh man. This is truly sig-worthy.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #847 on: January 10, 2010, 09:35:34 pm »

P.S. And yea regular troops usually just get slaughtered, I stick the high skill meleers in front, so that they take (and hopefully counterattack with) all the punishment while the lower skill guys jump in behind them and add a few extra attacks.  Ideally the front guys are using their skill to parry and counter preventing the lower skill guys from getting many attacks sent their way.  Doesn't work on gobbos, since they can counter too, but stuff without weapons skill like megabeasts and wildlife it seems alright.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2010, 09:45:30 pm by Greiger »

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #848 on: January 10, 2010, 09:51:51 pm »

That's a recipe for suicide.

Spears just get stuck and force your spearmen to wrestle, so you better have them as legendary wrestlers. Champion swordmasters would be an excellent idea.

Point #2: You needed a pile of legendary soldiers, not a couple. They get tired. Also, sending in a pile of non-legendaries is likely to result only in your troops being slaughtered. Your crossbowmen were unlikely to even hit the enemy at "normal" levels of skill.

Swords are meh against tentacle clowns. You need a lot of speardwarves, enough that they can kill a tentacle clown quickly and regroup before more clowns come, and enough that if one's spear gets stuck the others can kill it before it forces the first to abandon his weapon and seek shelter.

Crosstraining as a wrestler is not just a good idea in this situation. Wrestling is used for dodge calculations and gives absurd amounts of exp. Crosstraining a professional legendary soldier as a wrestler is the number one way to make him/her stronger. For taking on the circus, it's almost mandatory.

But yea, sounds like you had some clowny fun.

Edit: As a side note, my fortress dropped to 9 FPS when I marked the entire fort for engraving. I removed the designation and turned off temperature and my FPS jumped back up to 75. Holy crap! Now I can get through more than a year every two days, I love it. I was about to give up on my fortress, now I'm back to work on the constructed obsidian tower.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2010, 10:10:38 pm by Grendus »

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #849 on: January 10, 2010, 09:57:42 pm »

Well I figure just about anything is meh against them, but at least swords reduce the number of limbs.  Spears won't do anything helpful if they hit a limb instead of a critical spot.  Though the lucky bodyshot is nice, and while I lack experience with hammer type weapons I can't imagine how they would be much better than the others.

Yes good clowny fun.  I don't think I actually lost a fort to a military situation in a good while.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2010, 10:01:12 pm by Greiger »

GrafZeppelin

• Bay Watcher
  • The Saddest Dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #850 on: January 10, 2010, 10:01:17 pm »

I managed to trap the oncoming "Warrior" onslaught (custom race) by trapping them in a one tile wide hallway. Then, I opened another way! They saw the light, and raced toward it...only to see the shadow of my champion, who slaughtered all 32 of them.

personofshadow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #851 on: January 10, 2010, 11:26:00 pm »

I'm playing with the dig deeper mod, and my usual tactic for orcs is pretend no one is home until they go away, partially cause I tend to be lazy with my military early on, but I digress, this happening isn't orc related.

I've got my five marksdwarves, only current military responsible for keeps the others safe. I get the message that my mason was interrupted by a gargoyle while trying to finish the fortifications my markswarves would later sit in. So I send them out to take care of the mess.

It goes alright, the gargoyle gets into melee with one of them and wounds him pretty bad before getting shot to death, I figure, whatever, couple months bed rest and he'll be good as new. I go and check whats wounded only to discover that the gargoyle ripped out BOTH OF HIS EYES!

Well, this leaves me with two options really, the first is to offer him an early retirement so that he can spend his days telling stories of his battle scars, or I can hand him a crossbow as soon as he finishes healing up his yellow wound and inform him that he has been promoted to captain of the marksdwarves.

The Architect

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #852 on: January 10, 2010, 11:38:21 pm »

Swords are unbalanced. They slaughter everything. Quibbling over spears and talking about them like they actually do what they should is silly. The only time a sword won't do better than anything else is... well, never. Maybe a mace vs severonbreaks.
The sigs topic:

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #853 on: January 11, 2010, 12:30:55 am »

I would prefer spears to swords, swords are too messy and have a lower crit chance, but to each his own. I would take my chances with weapon sticks, presuming I had enough dwarves that no single dwarf was critical. Of course, in the situation described, I'd almost prefer hammerdwarves. Lack of a stick chance is a huge advantage in long or outnumbered fights. I suppose swords are a happy medium, but it's not entirely clear cut.

However, that aside, he's right. Bolt stockpiles and more dwarves would have turned the tide in his favor. Also, locking the soldiers in so they couldn't retreat would have helped, functional dwarves with broken limbs will continue to fight if they can't reach a bed.

The Architect

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #854 on: January 11, 2010, 12:42:29 am »

Spears don't have a higher critical chance. They have a different kind of critical. Swords actually have a higher chance, and their critical is severing. Dealing with the mess is part of it; if you don't want to then you should use an impact weapon. Hammers are inferior to maces due to weight. Spears will stick, rendering your spearmasters into wrestlers (which is why I said it is necessary to train your spearmasters in wrestling, though of course you ideally train all military dwarves in wrestling). All of this will change, but at the moment swords are by far the most effective weapons there are. Nothing else even comes close. A sword will stick, but only *extremely* rarely, to the point that I've run a fort for 10 years now with champion swordmasters and orc/goblin sieges, with only two swords dropped.

Speaking normatively, swords shouldn't be as effective against tentacle demons as other weapons. But speaking factually, they are much MORE effective, against tentacle demons and everything else in the game. It's just what we have to work with right now. The system will change.
The sigs topic:
Pages: 1 ... 55 56 [57] 58 59 ... 3842