Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 53 54 [55] 56 57 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6123576 times)

Ubern00b

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #810 on: January 08, 2010, 02:01:19 am »

Attempted to create a water tank incase of seige, need that wonderful water.

Aciddently told masons to carve fortifications in the tank wall. Guess what happened to my whole underground fortress xD
Quote from: Canuhearme(Facepunch Studios)
Isn't Dwarf Fortress just a game of delayed free-fall into a hideously painful and frighteningly horrific death?

Loyal

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:rogueish looks]
    • View Profile
« Reply #811 on: January 08, 2010, 02:02:44 am »

Human Caravan's arrived.

This is the best name ever. XD

Ravenplucker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #812 on: January 08, 2010, 02:07:41 am »

Hahaha! Thats awesome.

mareck

• Bay Watcher
  • Ahhhh, Dwarf meat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #813 on: January 08, 2010, 02:08:05 am »

Took, a break from playing.
Loaded my epic fort.
Pulled the wrong lever....

The Devil's Tomb earned its name.
Art is a Blast

The Architect

• Bay Watcher
  • Breeding supercows. What I've been doing on DF.
    • View Profile
« Reply #814 on: January 08, 2010, 02:46:27 am »

Thank God DF doesn't come with the tileset Loyal is using!
Dwarf Fortress: where blunders never cease.
The sigs topic:
Oh man, this is truly sigworthy...
Oh man. This is truly sig-worthy.

Ravenplucker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #815 on: January 08, 2010, 02:49:25 am »

finished the tunnel through the aquifer, but forgot to go down further, so everything started leaking once i started mining.

Aquifer = RAGEQUIT

BodyGripper

• Bay Watcher
  • The dog is screaming.
    • View Profile
« Reply #816 on: January 08, 2010, 03:16:09 am »

I just started a fortress with the plan of making an army of war animals, particularly bears. I added the [trAINABLE] tag to just about every animal in the game, and made bears a common domestic animal.  Unfortunately, I don't have any wood, and I forgot to bring an axe, so I'm having a few minor problems.  Still, it's going pretty well. 

Update:
I was fortunate enough to be placed on a map that featured a large pack of Gorillas.  I just trained my very first War Gorilla!  He joins my already rad team of about 9 War Dogs, 4 War Grizzly Bears, 1 War Horse and 1 War Cougar. 
I've added the [CAN_LEARN] tag to Grizzly Bears and most apes, so they're getting tough, strong, and agile.  They're also becoming competent Negotiators and Judges of Intent.  Woo!  I've given Gorillas the [EQUIPS] tag, though I'm not sure if that will actually be useful.
I'm out of food, so I've had to slaughter all of my puppies.  Hopefully my dogs will keep popping them out, I don't know how long it'll be before we get anything else!
"I'm sorry. I'm so sorry... It's okay to sell quivers..."
I just ripped open a lions throat by biting it. Who's the lion now, bitch!

Kyronea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #817 on: January 08, 2010, 05:32:55 am »

I think it's just the Mayday set. What's wrong with it?
I have a woodcutter walking around who cancels his jobs and passes out every once and a while because he lost 3 of his 8 lungs

Danjen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #818 on: January 08, 2010, 07:38:09 am »

I think he's just upset about the way the "O" looks from Oqui's first name.

Regarding my fort, I ended up disabling invaders, because I still only have my initial 7 dorfs, and 1 immigrant, and since I'm kinda doing a megaproject, I can't really set up a proper military yet. Of my 8 working dorfs, ONE is female. I'm so glad she didn't accidentally die. However, she got married and is dropping around baby per year. So all my new dwarves will be part of her family. To this, I ask a few questions:

Can dwarves inbreed? and
Is it possible to force marriages, creating a bloodline of superior dwarves?

Regarding my actual megaproject, the first three floors are almost completely mined out and walled up now (at least, for the lower half of the area). My southern lower tier now contains an inn, two cheap houses (2x2, bed only), a moderate house (2x3, bed plus window), a smelter building, containing a wood furnace plus smelter (complete with little chimneys on the second floor :D), and an ore warehouse across the road from it. It's coming along well for once, so I'm wondering how long it'll be before I screw up massively commit Fun. Probably once I start flooding the lower levels.
Quote from: mrbobbyg
Hey, I'm cool with you tying a dog up and shooting it with a ballista if you're short on elves, but there's not need to lie about it to us.

Moosey

• Bay Watcher
  • [moose brute extract]
    • View Profile
« Reply #819 on: January 08, 2010, 11:56:23 am »

I'm starting my first game with the Dig Deeper mod.  I made the world with Milaga's "riverworld" worldgen from the "there goes the wagon" thread (unseeded), and I found a promising starting site...

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

It's got a brook that freezes in winter, magma, many converging rock layer types (already found some iron, woot), lots of z-levels (thanks to those two peaks), a chasm filled with nasties (some familiar, some new), and HFS.

Let's rock.
Backs to the wheel
There's granite to shove

Loyal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #820 on: January 08, 2010, 12:49:26 pm »

Yeah, the symbol for a pillar is "O", so therefore "O"s appear as pillars in names. Unfortunate, but you get used to it.

Kidiri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #821 on: January 08, 2010, 12:57:21 pm »

And the bags.
Can dwarves inbreed? and
Is it possible to force marriages, creating a bloodline of superior dwarves?
No idea, but I think so. I've heard of incestuous relationships in human towns in pocket worlds, so I guess it could also happen with Dwarves.
Yes, but genetics aren't in yet. If I'm not mistaken, they (kind of) will be in the next release.
Veni, Vidi, Pompeii.
Soylent Green is kittens!
Sometimes, when my Dorfs are exceptionally stupid again, I wonder what exactly the [INTELLIGENT]-tag does.

Percival

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #822 on: January 08, 2010, 06:09:25 pm »

Just embarked on my second map ever, and it's awesome. It's autumn of the second year. The map is Haunted Mountains meets Joyous Wilds Grasslands. My dwarves embarked on what seemed like the very top of the mountains. I built a temporary hall right under the wagon and then built a tunnel system down, down, down to the grasslands, where I started my real fort. Halfway there, I found my chasm, full of Batmen and Naked Mole Dogs. No GCS, sadly.

The mountains are really craggy, and immediately on embark I noticed tons of gems, lignite, platinum and iron ore. After quarrying out what I could find, I ended up with somewhere around 1500 total iron ore (I need to check that again, but considerably more than 1000), including all three ores. And I've barely done any mining at all.

So in the second summer I decided to do a little bit of exploratory mining, and within about one minute I ran into a special blue ore. How about that. I got out with 10 before closing down the tunnel - I won't look for more until I'm a little more prepared.

Because of the settings I used when looking for the site, I know there's at least an underground pool somewhere. There's the possibility of a river, and maybe a magma pool, too, though I'm not banking on it. No pipe, though.

The only downside, besides the lack of GCS, is that my dwarven outpost liaison seems to have died the second he walked in my fort. Probably raped by unicorns or satyrs (the map is often swarming with them) on the way over. I didn't even realize it until the caravan was gone and I was checking out my stockpiles.

"Urist, what are these dwarf bones doing in my wood stockpile? ... Oh, it's him, is it? Hmm. I was wondering why he was late to the meeting."
« Last Edit: January 08, 2010, 06:12:18 pm by Percival »

Fishbreath

• Bay Watcher
  • [AVATAR HERE]
    • View Profile
    • Many Words
« Reply #823 on: January 08, 2010, 06:34:22 pm »

I'm working with power and pumps for the first time, to turn my trade depot into a drowning chamber for the elves.

Oh, and I lost two crossbowdwarves to a goblin siege. Ten or twelve crossbowgoblins shooting at my elevated fortifications are bound to hit something, I guess.

Loyal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #824 on: January 08, 2010, 07:37:16 pm »

Trying to devise a safe and reliable way to kill as many carp/longnose gars/pike as dwarvenly possible in as little time as possible. Those riverborne freaks have already killed SIX dwarves in two years!
Pages: 1 ... 53 54 [55] 56 57 ... 3842