Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 54 55 [56] 57 58 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6123544 times)

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #825 on: January 08, 2010, 08:30:25 pm »

I just bought an entire human caravan for a single platinum mug.

A human caravan. Now, granted my gem setter put a lot of semi-precious and precious gems in it, and granted it's made of platinum, but I bought everything worth having from them with a single platinum mug.

Unfortunately, I'm having labor issues. Getting my dwarves to properly stockpile obsidian blocks is becoming a problem, and I can't make enough bins to keep up with them. I may start construction to keep up with them.

Edit: I just got ambushed by a dorf! Interesting... must have been kidnapped.

A human caravan brought me away from the brink of starvation. Well, that's a little over dramatic, I put too much emphasis on growing cloth and dye plants instead of food, so we were in a death spiral. I'm debating what to do, probably will start fertilizing my outdoor farms. Most of my food supply is wheat or potato, so between cooking the wheat and dedicating the second farm to growing corn and carrots instead of wheat we'll be fine.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2010, 08:44:38 pm by Grendus »
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

Shrike

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #826 on: January 08, 2010, 08:40:31 pm »

I've embarked at a volcano with a brook nearby...

And this place has a huge amount of minerals. Magnetite nodes right on top of each other, Garnerite everywhere, huge amounts of platinum.

It's only accessible by the dwarves and goblins (despite there being orcs in the world, thanks the the ring of mountains around it), and there's plenty of arable land.

I'm digging out a lake with an island for farming... but with no elven or human caravans, I have to gather plants to get above-ground crops.

It's going rather well. Capped the population at 70, finished the barracks and defenses, have a military working, and a large-scale smelting operation. So much magnetite!
And despite being at a volcano, there's also plenty of bauxite. Obsidian layers all over, blackmetal and bloodmetal in large quantities (This is dig deeper), and more gemstone deposits than I've ever seen before.

Sadly, no chasm, and I've no idea if there's any HFS on this map. There are, however, many, many rabbits and phoenixes.

A fun diversion while I wait.

Shrike

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #827 on: January 08, 2010, 08:41:54 pm »

And I just struck kimberlite. Maybe there's diamonds here, as well as rubies and precious fire opals.
Also a vein of coal.

Only thing I don't have is flux... and my civ doesn't have that to trade.

Loyal

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:rogueish looks]
    • View Profile
« Reply #828 on: January 09, 2010, 01:33:28 am »

Decided to give "Dig Deeper" a try.

I got WAAGH'd before the first year was even over. Poor dwarves didn't stand a chance. :(

Graven

• Bay Watcher
  • Don't we all just love contact juggling?
    • View Profile
« Reply #829 on: January 09, 2010, 05:31:46 am »

A rather strange, if not exactly unexpected situation occurred. It's my fort's second year, and I'm constructing a magma reservoire at the entrance. It's a several z-levels tall tower, and I have my best masons there, which happen to be my original miners. No troubles yet, just a single snatcher, so I figure I'm dandy.

Suddenly I get the "An Ambush! Curse Them!" message, and I scroll around with brief interest to see what crocodile ran into the goblins, as the map is infested with them. Suddenly I feel my heart pound. Gravenous, my best miner and namesake has uncovered the ambush and is surrounded by 6 goblin swordsmen. I figure he's out, but he can at least buy us some time. I order everyone in, and activate him, hoping he slows them down enough, as they're actually right above the entrance.

A few seconds later I check up on him... All goblins - dead. Not a single scratch on him. I guess legendary mining makes a dwarf an actual threat to those damn goblins. I was quite pleased with him.
What a strange and beautiful world I beheld, but dangerous too, I was certain. And I was friendless and homeless. And so I prayed.
"Hear me, exalted spirits. Hear me be you gods or devils, ye who hold dominion here. I am a wizard without a home. I am a wanderer seeking refuge."

The Architect

• Bay Watcher
  • Breeding supercows. What I've been doing on DF.
    • View Profile
« Reply #830 on: January 09, 2010, 07:08:59 am »

Miners use their pickaxe and mining skill for fighting, making them decent fighters in a pinch. Decent for a dwarf being someone who can kill 5-20 goblins depending on luck.
Dwarf Fortress: where blunders never cease.
The sigs topic:
Oh man, this is truly sigworthy...
Oh man. This is truly sig-worthy.

Graven

• Bay Watcher
  • Don't we all just love contact juggling?
    • View Profile
« Reply #831 on: January 09, 2010, 08:18:10 am »

Yeah, I knew that mining is used to determine unarmed for miners, but I didn't expect him to last against armed goblins :)

And ... the magma pipe is across the 6x6 map from my fortress. Of course it is, I mean, after all, I am planning to actually DO something with it for the first time in years, rather than just power forges.

Then again, for the first time in years I'm actually having more FPS than dwarves - 72 dwarves against average FPS of 75. I think I should go celebrate or something before I've started the across-map lava aqueduct lavaduct.

Can't argue with a Dwarven Architect.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2010, 09:50:59 am by Graven »
What a strange and beautiful world I beheld, but dangerous too, I was certain. And I was friendless and homeless. And so I prayed.
"Hear me, exalted spirits. Hear me be you gods or devils, ye who hold dominion here. I am a wizard without a home. I am a wanderer seeking refuge."

Kidiri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #832 on: January 09, 2010, 09:21:15 am »

I'm about to cut down my very first Tower Cap. Ever. and the queen has arrived. Shorast Gatinzulban, Shorast Pantherbanner for her friends, used to be a fishery worker, until she decided to go for glory and wrestled Aroz Spurtedhog the Minotaur to death in the year 3. Five years later, in 8, she killed Moguk the Bronze Colllosus. She's strong and very agile, and only has (no-adverb) wrestling, novice shield and armour user. Yet she killed a bronze Coloosus. the drowning part of my entrance has been completed, now only the draining and magma-part. In the meantime, my bonecarver is making bolts and totems out of the last Orc siege, my five champion wrestlers are training their shield and hammer skill. As it is, the best one's a proficient hammerdwarf, and the worst one's a plain hammerdwarf.

lava aqueduct.
An aqueduct implies it guides water: aqua (water) + ducere (to lead). So it should actually be lavaduct. Unless it's all underground, in which case it should be a magmaduct.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2010, 09:30:00 am by Kidiri »
Veni, Vidi, Pompeii.
Soylent Green is kittens!
Sometimes, when my Dorfs are exceptionally stupid again, I wonder what exactly the [INTELLIGENT]-tag does.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #833 on: January 09, 2010, 10:17:07 am »

I was wondering for a long time why I wasn't getting seiges at year 5 of my chasm fortress.  Then I remembered that I had turned invaders off for an experiment in an alternate world and forgot to turn it back on.  Oh well.

Now it's back on and I am looking forward to being seiged while in a basically complete full military fortress instead of a half built one.  Its likely going to end badly for the invaders, but the goblins in this world should have access to some wyvern mounts which should increase their difficulty significantly.

As a side note, if you are using a custom race using human leader details, your fortress can still become a mountainhome and it will announce the arrival of the king when conditions are met.   You just won't get one.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Julien Brightside

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Artblog
« Reply #834 on: January 09, 2010, 10:46:09 am »

Got a siege from goblins and realized that one of my hallways were not "trapped" enough.
I quickly drafted 7 dwarves into the military, they rushed to the barracks and equipped themselves before going to the station.

There they waited for the goblins to pass by, whereas they rushed to the goblins and killed several with their axes.

Just to really get in the mood, I was listening to "Immediate Music".

Shade-o

• Bay Watcher
  • It's my greatest creation yet!
    • View Profile
« Reply #835 on: January 09, 2010, 09:33:43 pm »

I just embarked on a nice little map with all our favorite features, and I had high hopes for my intrepid seven. I didn't count on the caravan popping up next to the chasm, on a steep slope. They were swarmed by various chasm critters, most notable ratmen and giant rats. Four of them died rather quickly, but I managed to get my woodcutter/axedwarf to cut a path through the attackers immediately around the wagon site. Nearly all the animals I brought died, leaving me with a single war dog and some ox. The other two were rather miserable, and had a tantrum a few times.

While working in the shallow tunnel I was scraping out for shelter, one had a fit and killed the other with his pick, then promptly went melancholy. That left my axedwarf alone with a named war dog. Incidentally, the entire mountain was covered in the remains of scattered creatures, from dwarves to rats. The two named chasm beasties were swiftly hunted down, but the last one broke my champ's arm. They have begun moving the bones of all six dead dwarves into the shallow cave, along with the food supplies. 

Now, at the end of spring I have one skilled axedwarf with a kill-list as long as their beard, a war dog that has lost everyone it loved, and a mountain covered in roaming bands of ratmen, which are killing all the kobold thieves that try to steal the socks from my fallen.
Apparently having a redundant creature entry causes the game to say, "Oh, look, it's crazy world now. Nothing makes sense! Alligators live in houses!"

bmaczero

• Bay Watcher
  • Smokie, Tame Parakeet (On Head)
    • View Profile
    • I make games
« Reply #836 on: January 09, 2010, 09:55:40 pm »

I'm attempting my first semimegaproject - an aboveground tower consisting mainly of Obsidian and Rhyolite with Alunite and Rock Salt covering most of the outside.  It's going to be fun to build - I have four pump stacks planned going up the corners carrying magma and water anywhere I need it to be.  I'm going to build an obsidian farm inside the tower, just for the heck of it ;).

Progress is slow right now.  The first Dwarven caravan got caught in a fire-imp wildfire (sans wagons).  I've built temporary living quarters and farm underground, and I have my founding miner doing exploratory shafts around the entire 6x6 map while everyone else except my farmer/brewer is set to masonry.

Unfortunately, we are WAY understaffed for this project because we've had zero immigrants.  Everyone is so busy that several sets of steel chain from the destroyed caravan were left out and stolen by Kobolds.

On a happier note, my miner has found and excavated NO LESS THAN SEVEN veins of native copper.  It's absolutely ridiculous.  He is classified as "perfectly agile" by now and actually outran the outpost liaison by a LOT.

EDIT: The liaison got off his opening words just before my miner decided to dash back down into the mines, leaving him in the dust again :p.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2010, 09:57:54 pm by bmaczero »
The Forgotten Beast Art Archive.  Nightmares 100% guaranteed!

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #837 on: January 10, 2010, 12:05:07 am »

A rather strange, if not exactly unexpected situation occurred. It's my fort's second year, and I'm constructing a magma reservoire at the entrance. It's a several z-levels tall tower, and I have my best masons there, which happen to be my original miners. No troubles yet, just a single snatcher, so I figure I'm dandy.

Suddenly I get the "An Ambush! Curse Them!" message, and I scroll around with brief interest to see what crocodile ran into the goblins, as the map is infested with them. Suddenly I feel my heart pound. Gravenous, my best miner and namesake has uncovered the ambush and is surrounded by 6 goblin swordsmen. I figure he's out, but he can at least buy us some time. I order everyone in, and activate him, hoping he slows them down enough, as they're actually right above the entrance.

A few seconds later I check up on him... All goblins - dead. Not a single scratch on him. I guess legendary mining makes a dwarf an actual threat to those damn goblins. I was quite pleased with him.

I had that happen once, except I didn't draft the miner. He walked away with a light gray wound to his spleen, which healed about two steps later. He killed 6 goblins, the seventh was run down by my hunter.

The constructed obsidian tower is coming along slowly. Even with ten masons workshops and plenty of haulers to sort and build, it's taking a very long time just to make the blocks. I've decided the first floor should be a legendary dining room, with a small meeting hall of 10 gold tables and chairs and then the rest of the room filled with high quality clear glass furniture and clear glass windows along the walls to illuminate. I have one glassmaker almost to legendary, and another who was on his heels got a secretive glassmaker mood. By my calculations I'll need to deforest a bit which will be very fun. There's something dwarfy about it, we aren't carving a mountain, we're building one.

The goblins have started sieging, which is anticlimactic after the orcs. I dispatched four dwarves to take out their first siege, they mangled a baby shield but other than that were fine.

I just had a black dragon show up, but it's friendly. Very strange. I've heard of this, but never seen it happen. Wish I'd been able to cage it, but at least he'll ward off sieges from the west side.
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

Kidiri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #838 on: January 10, 2010, 11:41:01 am »

An Orcish seige just arrived. 4 squads of 14 Orcs each. There were Orcs with spears, with hammers, with whips, with axes and without any weapons. I prepared and holed up. When I get the message that an Adamantine golem has appeared. My very first megabeast. and then the Orcs started meddling. Surely, they killed it. But I think it got a couple of them as well. And free masterwork Adamantine statue! A whopping ☼180000 (90000 for the thing, 90000 for the building) added to my fortress wealth. Thank you, Orcish fiends!
Veni, Vidi, Pompeii.
Soylent Green is kittens!
Sometimes, when my Dorfs are exceptionally stupid again, I wonder what exactly the [INTELLIGENT]-tag does.

Binamrad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #839 on: January 10, 2010, 12:48:24 pm »

I have finally managed to completely recover from getting half my fortresses population killed by three goblin sieges, and have done some exploratory mining all over the map.
Since I embarked on terrain with the most useless stone possible (BLOODY F*CKING GABBRO!) I found only heaps of uslessine and orthoclase, and no metals except for nickel and a single vein of silver. But then I saw that I had dug through a path of limestone on the corner of the map for my underground entrance, so I decided to dig there instead.
The first thing I found was Magnetite. :) Joy!
And after some additional half-hearted digging I found two more clusters, but this time with large veins of platinum in them  ;D

Also, my megaproject is making progress.
Also my Captain of the Guard wants a suite but I can't assign him to any object.
Nevermind, turns out her upper body was missing.
Pages: 1 ... 54 55 [56] 57 58 ... 3842