Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3191 3192 [3193] 3194 3195 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6126289 times)

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Certified geezer & only man to win 0.40.24
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #47880 on: July 20, 2016, 10:25:33 pm »

I have tons of those laying around, I was trying to catch some giant elephants. Only got one, and when I butchered it someone got possessed and turned all 475 of those precious bones into a crossbow, as well as the regular elephant bone and giant giraffe bone... I had them atom smashed.
Are you fucking kidding me, son? That's an amazing work of art. Give it to your legendary marksdwarf and watch them smite from afar.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #47881 on: July 20, 2016, 10:28:41 pm »

I have tons of those laying around, I was trying to catch some giant elephants. Only got one, and when I butchered it someone got possessed and turned all 475 of those precious bones into a crossbow, as well as the regular elephant bone and giant giraffe bone... I had them atom smashed.
Are you fucking kidding me, son? That's an amazing work of art. Give it to your legendary marksdwarf and watch them smite from afar.

While I wouldn't consider it worth smushing a perfectly good worker, as someone who doesn't like ranged combat in DF because of how paradoxically difficult it is to train marksdwarves I can understand why someone would be just a teensy bit upset that a possession used up a whole tankload of very valuable trade materials.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Certified geezer & only man to win 0.40.24
    • View Profile
« Reply #47882 on: July 20, 2016, 10:35:49 pm »

I've got a very useful system for training marksdwarves.
1. Embark somewhere with both animals and weapon-quality metals
2. Set up magma smelting and bolt-smithing
3. Wait for hunters to arrive
4. Arm hunters, watch them shoot everything that moves
5. When danger threatens, call them inside and put them in a squad
6. Enjoy your legendary marksdwarves!
Seriously, this system is why Bastiongate survived more than two years. A webber titan showed up in 252 and I hid behind the walls while my marksdwarves slowly shot it to death.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #47883 on: July 20, 2016, 10:38:30 pm »

I didn't mean that it wasn't useless - I've certainly gotten some serious mileage out of more than a few of them against things that it'd be suicidal to fight in melee. I just don't rely on them like some players do, just as some players don't rely on melee fighters and some don't rely on soldiers at all.

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #47884 on: July 20, 2016, 10:57:04 pm »

Oh I do appreciate the crossbow, just that was so much expensive bone he used for it... I was going to put most of it into crafting and decoration for my other crafts. I've given it to my best hunter, who's already grown attached to it and killed quite a few goblins with it. The most of my hunters are legendary marskmen now, which is quite useful in my eventual plan to fight hell, which involves a pit of alligators, a square of locked off fortifications filled with marskmen and ballistae, and then a room filled with legendary fighters.
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47885 on: July 21, 2016, 12:58:54 am »

A human law-giver has just arrived... What does she want? Hopefully this is useful...

EDIT: Well, she conducted a meeting with my baron, and told me all the news of the kingdom... Holy crap that was a lot. They've been reclaiming tons of old sites. That's all they talked about, she's just sitting around talking to the outpost liaison now.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2016, 01:06:56 am by StagnantSoul »
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

Henry47

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47886 on: July 21, 2016, 02:04:40 am »

My above-ground, no mining or farming allowed fortress was ticking along nicely in its 4th year(other than the lack of booze), till some human traders wagon blew up in the trade depot, for the second year in a row. I reloaded the game, and it blew up again, and again.

Fed up, i ordered my military to kill all the merchants, and the diplomat too. This should finally end the problem of wagons blowing up my trade depot.

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47887 on: July 21, 2016, 05:05:47 am »

I had my first full size, troll and beak dog filled goblin siege, before I was just getting minor groups of archers... Killed everyone, made sure they were all dead, spring came, and ended... We're still under siege apparently. The elves never came, despite coming every year before this. Why won't the siege status lift?

Derro

• Bay Watcher
  • Imprisoned Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #47888 on: July 21, 2016, 07:37:25 am »

So, about those undead giant ravens...

They attacked a group of migrants, killing two and injuring several more before being scared off.

Being the pragmatist I am, I decided to just wall off the surface and never look back until I'd gotten some legendary dwarves trained up. That's when I realized I had only three pieces of wood (treeless embark!) and no stone (aquifer embark!). The idea of having so little goods made me wait for the caravan.

A caravan arrived a short while later and set up camp in a bloody gale, so I traded my wheelbarrow, stepladder, and four barrels of wine for a bit of stone and wood. That's when I realized the corpse of one of the migrants had raised and was now harassing my dwarves. I quickly ordered the wall to be built, but a flock of giant vultures made that impossible. Several dwarves died to the undead scavengers.

I burrowed everyone inside and set up a secondary wall designation, but the undead were too fast. A horde of dwarvish, vulturic and horsian zombies rushed in and killed my entire fort. Last to die was a mechanic who'd gotten injured in the giant raven attack, who rushed towards an undead horse screaming something about revenge.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #47889 on: July 21, 2016, 10:15:50 am »

I had my first full size, troll and beak dog filled goblin siege, before I was just getting minor groups of archers... Killed everyone, made sure they were all dead, spring came, and ended... We're still under siege apparently. The elves never came, despite coming every year before this. Why won't the siege status lift?
Besiegers can get stuck off map.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

vekar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47890 on: July 21, 2016, 12:07:05 pm »

I have dwarves stalking me... Ever since I updated to the recent version I have this little group of dwarves that stalk me fortress to fortress... Sometimes they die but most have lived and keep stalking me... But hey, it means first migrant wave I get my legendary sword-lord, carpenter, hammer-lord, weapon-smith and or armor-smith back.

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47891 on: July 21, 2016, 04:26:44 pm »

Wow, despite having 120 dwarfs and 187 animals, on a 5x5 map, I haven't reached FPS death yet... Everything's going at a respectable pace...

scourge728

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47892 on: July 21, 2016, 05:34:07 pm »

building a giant golden tower as a base for a giant golden something that I haven't decided yet... I have over a thousand golden bars and many still to be smelted, even more to be mined and I haven't even hit the caverns yet...

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47893 on: July 21, 2016, 05:57:26 pm »

Started a new fort... The outpost liaison asked for mail shirts, battle axes, war hammers, shields, and helmets, along with scepters, rings, and cloth bags. I guess they're readying for war?

Daris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47894 on: July 21, 2016, 09:04:25 pm »

Still not at war with the elves, and the year is coming to a close.  If they send a caravan next year, I might consider stealing their stuff (if they bring anything worth stealing, which they usually don't).

One of my dwarves just wrote the fort's 20th book, after making a breakthrough on cauterization.  She's now pondering traumatic injuries.  I'll note that this dwarf has gone from zero to Adept in surgery solely through library work, and although it has taken her 25 years to do it, I feel it's been a good use of her time.  Much better than the two who prefer to talk about history.  What's up with the history, guys?  The world has no history yet!  It's year 42!

Pages: 1 ... 3191 3192 [3193] 3194 3195 ... 3842