Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3190 3191 [3192] 3193 3194 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6126276 times)

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #47865 on: July 19, 2016, 09:44:54 am »

I'm not sure if it ticks off the elves more to go over the lumber quota or to refuse to negotiate a new quota, so I did both this year.  Then I offered the elven caravan one of my surplus feather wood shields, and they promptly left in a pique.  I hope to be at war soon.  The goblins are at the point where they're barely able to muster 10 soldiers for sieges, and Greatercrypts needs some excitement that goes beyond selecting items for a strange mood.

Don't forget, you can also seize some stuff afterward, if you don't close the trade window. Unless they fixed that. ;w;
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

StarWars1981

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47866 on: July 19, 2016, 10:06:56 am »

In my new fort, I received news of "Minedcraft" being built by some other group from the civilization. My group is known as the Frosty Traders, the fortress as Fountaindriven. I'm planning to use that name in a large aboveground complex - however I've built it atop an aquifer. Last night, I found what appeared to be the bottom. It was a layer of non-damp stone! But there was damp stone to either side, and when I tried to reach the edge of the map, I found only doom. Digging exploratory shafts to search a dry spot out (hopefully), my Legendary (and only) miner, with my only pick, fell and drowned in a single downwards staircase, after successfully negotiating no fewer than five or six aquifer layers over several real days and two in-game years.
Savescum.
No idea where I scummed back to, but it isn't far. I was dang careful to keep my stupid mooded metalcrafter (object of 3 savescums to save the fort from a tantrum, at only 14 people I could NOT have that happen) alive after he FINALLY mooded with stuff I had on hand. And he made an iron ring. Dang you, Urist. So ... today, the fort continues with the aquifer penetration using the double-slit. It goes well, but boringly. And I still have no dang stone. Also, pain in the rear to do for years on end. Where does it end???
The fort lives on, the nice sandy loam gives me plenty of plump helmets and cave wheat, so no starvation. Also, the hunters are brutally effective Marksdwarves who rarely fail to kill something. And my civilizations tab shows no hint of the goblin fortress I should be really close to, or the human town even closer. I'm wondering if world-gen was too brutal for them. This fort may become an abandon-fort, or maybe just retired, if I can't get past this aquifer soon, and also if I can't get some goblin Fun in here. It's boring. I established a rapid wooden palisade but have, so far, faced no larger threat than terrified Horses being used to train my military interrupting the wood-haulers.
Onwards and Downwards! *Splash*.
EDIT1: Maybe, MAYBE, ten minutes later: "After a polite discussion with local rivals, Bembul Sunnybridges has claimed the position of Queen of The Glove of Courage.
But I don't even have stone yet! Forget metals, or fancy crap! Heck, I've not even built any freaking ROOMS or BEDS yet!
Mandates and unhappy Queen incoming. Oh crap.
Worldgen was definitely too brutal... Very High natural savagery has apparently brought my entire civilization to its knees in a year and a half. Crap. No wonder the goblins haven't appeared ... they've probably all died. Wonder what happened to the previous King/Queen.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2016, 10:27:39 am by StarWars1981 »

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Still sad
    • View Profile
« Reply #47867 on: July 19, 2016, 10:35:08 am »

Why isn't this stickied?
Imic's no longer allowed to vote.
Quote from: smyttysmyth
Well aren't you cheery
Quote cabinet
Regrets every choice he made and makes, including writing this here.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #47868 on: July 19, 2016, 12:39:20 pm »

So, we've got our first wave of migrants, no one with any military skills, so I've set the least useful arrival has been set side for training. Having to make an extra pick for the miner that arrived, whereas the woodcutter we got was kind enough to bring an axe. :V
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Certified geezer & only man to win 0.40.24
    • View Profile
« Reply #47869 on: July 19, 2016, 02:00:33 pm »

Why isn't this stickied?
I guess because I've never seen it leave the first page.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #47870 on: July 19, 2016, 02:03:58 pm »

Oh shit son.

Spoiler: screenshot (click to show/hide)

I was expecting something slightly easier for a whopping 2 bowkobolds to plink at, and more importantly wasn't expecting a siege in my first year. D:

EDIT: Well that was an anticlimax. I set up a burrow to order everyone inside, prepare to hastily wall up the entryway due to not having hatches...and the horde vanished.

EDIT 2: Aside from that brief scare, a year has passed uneventfully.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2016, 05:48:59 pm by Random_Dragon »
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

Wolock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47871 on: July 19, 2016, 06:06:07 pm »

Found a fort on a major river. The plan is to span the river and build forts on each side with a tower in the center of the span.

So far it is Autumn and a small fort is built on the north shore while the bridge itself is completed. So far everything is made of wood but when I'll have the worforce I'll switch to stone.

Also the miners have breach the first cavern and there's a magma pipe which opens the possibility to make an obsidian foundation for the central tower.

Derro

• Bay Watcher
  • Imprisoned Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #47872 on: July 20, 2016, 05:16:00 am »

I embarked in a Terrifying wasteland.

First I got attacked by undead ravens. Fortunately, a quick conscription of a strong dwarf proved enough to kill them.

Then it started raining elf blood. Several of my dwarves, whose thoughts up to then amounted to 'horrified after being in conflict' and 'horrified after being attacked by the dead', started despairing, further slowing down my attempts to get the wagon equipment inside. Also, the river on my embark is now more blood than water.

Then I got visited by five more undead ravens, except these ones are giant ravens. I've got something to look forward to...

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47873 on: July 20, 2016, 06:59:14 am »

Best tip for evil embarks.

As soon as you start deconstruct/start channeling underneath your wagon if appropriate, surround it with stairs (4 sets of 3 wide stairs or if you are concious of flooring the hole 2 sets of 1x1 stairs on each side , then after you've cleared the first z level with channeling the 3x3 space underneath the wagon, immediately start digging stairs next to those stairs so you have a 3x3 hole to be sealed up a set of open stairs that can be covered with hatches, and if you continue channeling alongside and create a open space, a 5x5 barracks floor with air access at the bottom where all your wagon goods will settle without dwarves having to unload them.

Level 1
 D+D
DHHHD
+HHH+
DHHHD
 D+D

Level 2 onward to the desired/nessecary depth
  XXX
  U U
XUHHHUX
X HHH X
XUHHHUX
  U U
  XXX

The idea is that dwarves enter from the top, and move forcefully into the outer staircase to get down, ideally if everyone has a pick this makes things faster. do the staircase first, then you can create a meeting zone on the desired lower level to get the idlers out of the way. Nine tunnel tube wood logs should cover up the top (because fungiwood is too valuable for its lightness for tools)

Key - (+) block of ground , (D/U/X) down - up - updown stairways , (H) hole or the channeled area,
===============================================

As for my own fotress, as ever im taking too long fixing up the infrastructure and forgot to get the farms sorted. I need the infrastructure in order to get my minecart driven wood storage up and running so i can clearcut this huge savage forest i started in and get it fortified with rough clay walls along the small hills in it to create chokepoints/entrances. It was lucky i found a spot without a aquifier (oh i hate those things, bleh)

vekar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47874 on: July 20, 2016, 12:45:27 pm »

My fortress had quite the night: (if you have watched Starship Troopers and remember "Whiskey Outpost" with the theme song playing with fits nicely)

Battle of the Wall
City of Lertethushrir (Tanglequake) 275

The battle of the wall started out as any other goblin siege, not enough heavy infantry to join the fray but tall walls to keep them out. Lertethushrir had enjoyed strong walls and a dedicated marksdwarves squad (MARKS 1A) to patrol said walls. Past goblin sieges had been beaten off as they passed the walls, a few casualties being enough to scare them off. However in 274 the goblins brought an abnormally large swarm of goblin riders (beak dogs) with them and after a show of force headed off taking few casualties. It was during all this that an outdoor farming pit was built and walled in. This new fortification to the southeast of the main structure (not joined) would be the place of quite a struggle.
   Woodcutters were routinely sent out to clear trees from around the walls, however for one year (275) the woodcutters went on mass sabbatical and refused to cut a single tree come hell or high water. The result was two trees grew up against “The Tower” (farming pit) forming a ladder. Alarms were sounded as the goblin swarm crested the far ridge and poured down rapidly mounted high on their beak dogs. With them, came a mass swarm of trolls. The burrow alarm was sounded, gates slammed shut and the marks dwarves sent to their post. The goblins were heading towards “The Tower.”
   The ten marksdwarves climbed the steps and waited and as the goblin swarm passed they dismounted several goblins, wounding others but not doing much otherwise. As the goblin swarm and trolls passed away though and moved east of the tower, things changed. The troll swarm suddenly turned and threw itself against the wall, the dismounted goblin packs following. All hell broke loose. The trolls began to climb the trees slowly as MARKS 1A shot them back out of the tree’s and held the northeast corner of the wall. The heavy infantry was summoned but they too were on sabbatical and could not make it for quite some time. It was up to these ten dwarves, only three of whom were elite to hold off the entire troll hoard plus goblins on their own. The ratio was more than 5:1 and the marksdwarves had no armor.
   Slowly the trolls made their way atop of the wall and began jumping off the trees and into the fortifications with the dwarves, still firing rapidly and picking off a troll here and there. Slowly the trolls pushed the dwarves back, the dwarves split into three groups, the north wall, south wall and pit group. One Elite went with each group. The pit group formed as the trolls swarmed over the wall and dwarves fell back dodging, sometimes a dwarf would dodge off the wall into the pit then regroup in the dead center forming a little circle of dwarves. North group was slowly pushed back, sometimes firing sometimes bludgeoning trolls to death as they were pushed back or jumped off the walls. It was not long till only South Group was still on the wall holding their own along with one lone dwarf trapped in a tree inside the pit holding off a troll. About this time the goblins began climbing the trees and making their way inside.
   In the pit the little circle was blazing away at anything that moved and troll bodies littered the pit but occasionally one or two would rush the circle and be beaten to death and or shot. The heavy infantry was now on the way but the marksdwarves were still on their own. Ammo was running low as a lone farming came whistling up the tunnel, opened the door, beheld the scene “Starship Troopers Whiskey Outpost,” dropped his seeds, slammed the door shut and walked away whistling Dixie. The southern group was still holding as the goblins jumped onto the wall and made a mad dash for them, the three acting like a Vickers machinegun crew. Dead goblins lined the walls from the combined fire of the pit group and south group.
   A lone goblin archer made it to the top of the wall and from the tree began to snipe at the elite marksdwarf on the southwall, a well placed bolt shot the goblin sniper back out of the tree. As the battle raged the first of the heavy infantry opened the door and rushed out three elites (axe and hammerlords) rushed into the fray and began slaughtering the remaining trolls and goblins, an overzealous swordlord threw himself off the wall into a pond and drowned. The tree dwarf was saved as a hammerlord jumped into the tree with him and brained the troll and goblin that were about to kill him. Not to be outdone however the swarm of goblin riders turned back around and headed towards the tower while the marksdwarves readied their firing line. Holding fire till the goblins within range of all of them they fired one volley that fell one goblin and wounded several others including beak dogs, this broke the goblin army and they fled. The Battle of the Wall was over, Lertethushrir would live on into 276.
   Three dwarves were wounded but refused to leave the fight till it was over and walked themselves to the hospital for treatment, the swordlord who drowned himself was the only casualty. The squad MARKS 1A is still at 100%, all wounds were minor. Members of MARKS 1A now have some rather impressive kill lists.

This story is abnormal to the extreme for me because I never use marksdwarves because they had always, ALWAYS (500%) failed no matter the situation and been unable to kill even a fly in all my past forts. This is the first time I have ever had marksdwarves that not only fought and killed, but killed and killed and killed without dying in a melee battle, while unarmored and without support.

Also a dwarf slave requested to live in the fortress, she has one kill, a human, from the same human empire that claims to own her, the kill being the same year she showed up to my fortress, she is now a marksdwarf. Also my duchess got munched by a clown about twenty minutes after accepting the immigrant slave, but Lertethushrir lives on.

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47875 on: July 20, 2016, 01:12:06 pm »

Started a test fortress in 43.03 using a similar ruleset from CursedKnowledge succession fort.

1. All migrants will be Peasants Haulers with no labors, nursing allowed.
2. Military service are not haulers; 50% active training at most, 50% resting/reserve per year.
3. Cursedknowledged citizens commit to learning one labor. 
4. Founders are allowed 2 novice labor skills, but beware yeah who gains more than one.
5. Citizens with labor skills will be named.
6. Death of a named citizen passes on skills to a peasant.
7. A child turning to adult in the fortress gains one labor skill.
8. Mayor, Commander and Sheriff noble position are allowed to have 1 skill.
9. Manager, Bookkeeper, Broker is a full time position, no other labor allowed. 
10. Chief Medical Dwarf is allowed two skills, one being diagnostician.  So a CMD may choose one from Suturer, Wound Dresses, Surgeon or Bone Doctor which leaves 3 positions open.
11. Each year (spring) the fortress gains one skill labor to be given to one peasant.

Year 1 Founders
1. Carpenter + Architect
2. Mechanic +  Architect
3. Brewer
4. Herbalist
5. Cook + Wood Cutter
6. Broker
7. CMD + Wound Dresser

Having no pick, but thankfully an iron battle axe, we have a forest to clear for our building material: wood.

Build 3x3 rooms, floored and roofed with bed, chest, cabinet, table, chair, and door for each of the first 7.

Worked towards a 7x7 dance floor, with 4x7 dinning area, upstairs with 6 2x2 inn rooms, and 4x7 food and drink stockpile for the tavern set to Citizens and Residents only.

Brought 10 orthoclase all turned into 10 mechanisms, for 3 bridges with levers, and 1 well.  But no labor to make rope or chain yet.

Trade Depot finished in the summer, and making lavish meals for trading.

Traded for picks, cloth and thread, a couple of ropes, water skins, backpack and quivers, more food and bags, bolts and weapons.

Two migrant waves later, we're near 20 pop with 6 children.  The wooden walls are not secured, but so far, on kobolds showed up and were scared away.

Winter is almost over, and we need a Miner labor for the year to come.

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #47876 on: July 20, 2016, 05:11:55 pm »

Don't you love when all ten of your decently trained and heavily armoured and armed dwarves die helplessly to an Ettin, yet a dog and an alligator absolutely destroy it?
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #47877 on: July 20, 2016, 05:26:02 pm »

Don't you love when all ten of your decently trained and heavily armoured and armed dwarves die helplessly to an Ettin, yet a dog and an alligator absolutely destroy it?

If I remember correctly, someone said the boring solution was cage traps.

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #47878 on: July 20, 2016, 05:30:05 pm »

If I remember correctly, someone said the boring solution was cage traps.

I have tons of those laying around, I was trying to catch some giant elephants. Only got one, and when I butchered it someone got possessed and turned all 475 of those precious bones into a crossbow, as well as the regular elephant bone and giant giraffe bone... I had them atom smashed.
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #47879 on: July 20, 2016, 08:55:46 pm »

What that is the coolest crossbow tho
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0
Pages: 1 ... 3190 3191 [3192] 3193 3194 ... 3842