Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3189 3190 [3191] 3192 3193 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6126296 times)

Doc Voston

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #47850 on: July 17, 2016, 03:48:36 am »

I just finished my magma launcher. It fire 2 balls of 833 magma about every 40 ticks I think. My noble was the first one to try it out.
He died painfuly. Now i'm waiting for some gobs to siege me  :D
"I'll grind you into porridge!"

Thuellai

• Bay Watcher
  • Nobody's business but the Turks
    • View Profile
« Reply #47851 on: July 17, 2016, 06:46:19 am »

My entire fort of orcs was kicked to death by a single incredibly angry zombie camel.

Part of the problem is that orcs run TOWARDS enemies, instead of away, so all my civilians chose to attempt to wrestle it to death.  It went poorly.

My new fort is much better armed, with three squads of troops (although only one is fully staffed - I've got a total of 24 troops between sword orcs, maul-equipped ologs, and bow snaga) so the only thing threatening me at the moment is cave dragons.  And FPS death, but I seem to have gotten that under control with vigorous butchering assignments.
When you're following an angel, does it mean you have to throw your body off a building?

"So kids, what story do you want me to read to you tonight?"
"Oooh!  Oooh!  Goldibeard and the The Rotting Corpses!"
~LegacyCWAL

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #47852 on: July 17, 2016, 08:16:52 am »

So an ettin showed up in my fortress.

I had no military to speak of except for two soldiers.

That bastard broke down the doors and killed four or five people (one of the two soldiers survived by virtue of being asleep and thus not being an immediate threat to the ettin?), before the civillians all mobbed them and killed them.

A few are wounded, but I don't have any diagnosticians and don't want to risk someone diagnosing diseased lungs or something crazy.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #47853 on: July 17, 2016, 01:13:26 pm »

The tribe has fortified. Top soil is dry. Good to dig hollows in. Warlord has his own. The rest have a communal hollow to sleep and eat in.

We chose a central hollow for worship. It eases the minds of many of us.

There is no cave as was promised to us by the old map. Only a handful of cave people and three men. We slew one of them, the cave people the other, but one seems content to glare at us with menace as we work; he does not threten us however. Perhaps when forest men come he will fight at our side?

No eggs hatch. Concern that the eggs are infertile. Will wait a season. If no chicks, then we must start over.

We have new weapons as well: A long spear for fighting forest beasts, and a longknife for slaying forest men.

Carts pulled by cattle approach from the west: Nomads. Brothers. They will tell our brothers where we are. That they will find safeness here.

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #47854 on: July 17, 2016, 01:16:24 pm »

A giantess appeared.

She ruined the farm plot I was building and kept killing animals, pretty much like last time.

A reindeer somehow gave her trouble, she kept collapsing from exhaustion, getting scared, running away, and then running back.

The hell?

Then a spearman visited us and killed the damn thing, so we're all grateful to him.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #47855 on: July 17, 2016, 01:57:29 pm »

Fields sown. Two brothers come.

One, a brave woman, takes up a long knife and dones the hollow eyes of the war mask.

Must devise means of creating a mechanism. We had only one rock to use for a milling item, and our fool digger made a strange device of interlocking rolling olivine wheels. Unfortunately, they are too cumbersome to use by hand, and we have no way to connect it to our waterwheel that we thought would run it. But it requires this critical part.

We fear the trees. And the birds. We require yet more brothers if we are to survive.

Daris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47856 on: July 17, 2016, 03:51:37 pm »

In the first days of the world, a small settlement of dwarves with no past selected Mistem Helpedearthen as their king.  Mistem was not the strongest or most hale of the dwarves, but he was clever.  He realized before anyone else that the world is a dangerous place, and that a single settlement is vulnerable.  It was he who sent two small bands out into the world, to hopefully found new settlements and grow the strength of the Scarlet Lanterns.  Some questioned this decision, as Postdabble had few residents as it was.  Could they really spare citizens?  Could they really send their neighbors out into the hostile world?

Now, forty years later, Mistem has arrived at that new settlement, which has grown larger and more wealthy than Postdabble, more wealthy even than Vaultpaints, the other major success of the diaspora.  Greatercrypts is a far more suitable Mountainhome than its parent city, and so Mistem has brought his queen consort and the outpost liaison to settle beside the great volcano Mint Torches in the Taciturn Forests.

He finds a thriving metropolis, 146 citizens, including himself and the two dwarves he brought with him.  The dwarves here have burrowed into the flanks of the volcano, and have full control of the flat land at the mountain's knees.  All three known caverns are fully pacified, with a quantity of livestock drawn from the caverns' populations; even three types of megabeast have been captured and tamed by the city's four master animal trainers.  The volcano has been tapped for both industry and defense.  The dwarves here eat well, drink well, wear fine clothing, and have fended off a dozen goblin raids, with a few goblins kept in cages in the dining room for the children to taunt.  The goblin general is kept in the duchess' throne room.  Sometimes she and the duchess have conversations.

Mistem is proud of the expedition and their many descendants, but thinks they might be a bit too cozy with the humans, who regularly send caravans to Greatercrypts, and especially with the elves.  He's shocked to realize that the elves impose a unilateral lumber quota and the dwarves of Greatercrypts just go along with it.  The fortress is currently experiencing a lumber shortage, in fact, but the Greatercrypts dwarves are so accustomed to obeying the quota that it never occurred to them to just cut more trees.  "Cut the trees," he says.

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #47857 on: July 17, 2016, 04:35:48 pm »

Summer comes.

Plants for everyone. Constructing additional pylons barrels and pots is currently ongoing.

Human caravan turned up. Traded a few barrels of prepared food for... A lot of stuff. Maybe a metal industry isn't necessary for this fortress after all.

I have breached the caverns! Hooray! I wonder what's underneath... In any case, there haven't been any horrifying slaughters as of late, so that's all good.

Our tavern seems to be pretty popular. Maybe I should establish a second one just for my citizens?

What do you think?

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #47858 on: July 17, 2016, 04:41:52 pm »

Yesss. Install the foreigner tavern outside so they can greet goblins.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

Shurikane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.shurikane.com
« Reply #47859 on: July 17, 2016, 06:35:42 pm »

One of my oldest dwarves, Mammouth Tank, has died.

He was among the first waves of migrants at the fortress, back in the 500s.  As the fort was struggling itself to greatness, a weremammoth bit him in the arm, irreversibly infecting him, and rendering him into a danger to the rest of his brethren.

Quietly, he was led to the Vault, on the pretense of a guard duty.  A drawbridge raised behind him, and it remained so, sealing him away for all eternity.

Month after month, he transformed into a weremammoth, and back into a dwarf, never experiencing hunger, or thirst, or exhaustion.  A man of simple tastes, he spent his time simply wandering the surface of his entombment, and admiring the craftsdwarfship of the drawbridge between him, and civilization.  Not once was he heard complaining.  Not once did he throw a tantrum.  He remained calm and peaceful - unlike the vampiress in the next cell over: the vile, cunning, reality-breaking Samantha Fisher.

And then, in the spring of 601, he lied down, and at last went to sleep, forever.  He died as peacefully as he had lived, after living one hundred and sixty-six years.  Stoic, never breaking.

A monument was erected in his honor, and placed next to the memorial dedicated to the first werebitten dwarf of the fortress: Poor Bastard 1.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2016, 06:38:50 pm by Shurikane »

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #47860 on: July 17, 2016, 10:56:30 pm »

The camp of Shrogokopumber got off to a rough start. Turns out the stream started out frozen, though it started to thaw before it became a problem. Also had the dogs suffer some troubles with wild yaks, but none of them died from it.

I'm hoping we finally get some hint of invaders to test the hatch defense method, and also to see how kobold life is affected by the always-irksome armor damage system.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

Derro

• Bay Watcher
  • Imprisoned Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #47861 on: July 18, 2016, 05:52:07 am »

I managed to save my drowning dwarves with an escape shaft, but the old fortress was lost. After several exploratory tunnels revealed no holes in the aquifer existed, I started digging it out with the double-slit method. So far, I'm about one-forth done.

Until I can get a proper fortress going, my dwarves will live in a simple one-level home dug in the hillside, sustained by herbalism and butchering migrant animals.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #47862 on: July 18, 2016, 06:15:21 pm »

After retiring a fort to deliver books, and unretiring, I had to deal with flooding: all open spaces under the lake it was built next to and under were full of water. Had to dig drainage shafts, so next time I unretire/visit it'll drain quickly instead of flooding the whole fort again. Pain in the ass that, now everything's covered in mud and overgrown with underground vegetation.

I wish I hadn't forgotten that little detail about lake/seaside forts.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Pirate Santa

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_EATER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #47863 on: July 18, 2016, 09:44:37 pm »

Skullmine is finding its feet. The palisade is now a strong stone wall and the food industry is 100% operational.
Traded with the dwarves and robbed the elves, with any luck they'll send some sieges.
My slowly building army of pickaxe wielding warriors needs opponents.
Welcome to Dwarf Fortress. Where peaceful death of old age is something nobody sees coming.
it turns out Dog Bone Doctors aren't very good at doctoring.

Daris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47864 on: July 19, 2016, 05:59:13 am »

I'm not sure if it ticks off the elves more to go over the lumber quota or to refuse to negotiate a new quota, so I did both this year.  Then I offered the elven caravan one of my surplus feather wood shields, and they promptly left in a pique.  I hope to be at war soon.  The goblins are at the point where they're barely able to muster 10 soldiers for sieges, and Greatercrypts needs some excitement that goes beyond selecting items for a strange mood.
Pages: 1 ... 3189 3190 [3191] 3192 3193 ... 3842