Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2722 2723 [2724] 2725 2726 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6111312 times)

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Certified geezer & only man to win 0.40.24
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #40845 on: April 13, 2015, 03:41:08 pm »

I've stockpiled enough blocks right near hell that I feel confident in moving in and building a bunker. I'm briefly releasing the demons I have trapped so I can take care of a potentially deadly FB that showed up in hell. After I finish with that, I'll recapture the demons and start building the outside of the bunker. I'll fill in the interior walls later after the bunker is sealed.

The demons and FB are fighting now. The demons won easily, just like every other demon/FB encounter, and now a one-eyed brute has a name. The beast's poison gas did nothing, it seems. I've ordered the demon trap resealed and the hell gate opened. My soldiers are moving in now, just to be sure of no resistance. The way I set up the demon trap makes it hard to tell whether or not it is sealed.

And the trap is sealed, the military dismissed, the miners called down to dig the tube wider, staircases designated. Hell is ours!

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #40846 on: April 13, 2015, 04:51:13 pm »

How do you intend to deal with wandering clowns?

locktwo

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #40847 on: April 13, 2015, 04:53:09 pm »

An undead eagle killed all of my livestock

Freedom eagle needs to stop ruining my fortress
>Likot Edtullimul cancels Combat: Getting married.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40848 on: April 13, 2015, 05:15:13 pm »

How do you intend to deal with wandering clowns?
Well, my demon trap keeps new demons from wandering on to the map. But that's kind of cheating, so my eventual goal is going to be to construct a floor-to-ceiling wall around the entirety of hell.

The bunker is going well. With ~100 peasants, I have a lot of idlers for odd jobs like this. The roof of the bunker is almost sealed. After that is finished, I will be building walls, a floor, workshops, and stockpiles within the shell of the bunker.

Bastiongate is now 25 years old. One of my legendary miners died - I replaced him with one of his daughters.

EDIT: The hell bunker is currently being filled with everything a hell bunker needs: 20 brave (young and expendable) laborers, 10 elite marksdwarves, a dorm, barracks, and archery range, a small dining hall, and finally, an unending supply of food, drink, stone bricks, and silver bolts to fuel the Hell Bastion.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2015, 06:01:47 pm by TheFlame52 »

StrikaAmaru

• Bay Watcher
  • [GMT+2][forum time +8]
    • View Profile
« Reply #40849 on: April 14, 2015, 12:58:03 am »

One of my civilian dwarfs went mysteriously missing :o. Dropped off the face of the world, basically...

No combat logs, no 'Urist Adon McClothier has { bled to death | succubed to infection | other cause of death }', no nothing.

He had been injured by a goblin ambush the previous season, and then went to the fort on his own two feet (yes, he had both); disabled all jobs off doctors and forgot about it. Now I just noticed my pop had one less, Mr. Adon can't be located in the [ u ]nits list, be it living or dead, I haven't seen his corpse anywhere, and there are no mysterious clouds of miasma floating around.

EDIT: [ u ] for units, [ u ] for underline...
« Last Edit: April 14, 2015, 02:23:29 am by StrikaAmaru »
Needs caffeine to get through the working day.
[Sigtext. Contains links to mods, LPs and an index of all the things I wrote on this forum. Does not contain a viable sig. http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=49316.msg6860463#msg6860463]

Jefthefirst

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40850 on: April 14, 2015, 02:39:36 am »

Apparently Cave Dragons can dispatch some Forgotten beasts with ease. Who knew?
I just atom smashed 30 children.

StrikaAmaru

• Bay Watcher
  • [GMT+2][forum time +8]
    • View Profile
« Reply #40851 on: April 14, 2015, 03:09:44 am »

Depends on FB, as some are wimps? In my relatively brief plays of DF2014, had one killed by a single blind cave ogre, which is even less impressive than a cave dragon.

----

Heh, apropos of nothing... in the same fort mentioned above, I had the strange experience of an anti-catsplosion problem: the vast majority of my cats were asexual. I spent 4 years without any kittens around, despite buying any and all fuzzballs from the caravan. IIRC, I ended up having: 4 asexual male cats, 5 asexual female cats, 1 lesbian cat, and 2 straight female cats, who presumably ended up feeling very frustrated. For some reason I didn't post this when I was playing
Needs caffeine to get through the working day.
[Sigtext. Contains links to mods, LPs and an index of all the things I wrote on this forum. Does not contain a viable sig. http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=49316.msg6860463#msg6860463]

Neo_Spade

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:ginger neck-beard]
    • View Profile
« Reply #40852 on: April 14, 2015, 04:33:34 am »

He had been injured by a goblin ambush the previous season, and then went to the fort on his own two feet (yes, he had both); disabled all jobs off doctors and forgot about it. Now I just noticed my pop had one less, Mr. Adon can't be located in the [ u ]nits list, be it living or dead, I haven't seen his corpse anywhere, and there are no mysterious clouds of miasma floating around.

Wait for it to say he's been missing for a week, or if you've already had the announcement, make a slab and engrave it at the Crafts Workshop, when you place it you can examine it (I can't remember if you examine it using k, t or q) and determine the exact cause of death.

I've had Titans made of water, and Forgotten Beasts made out of salt, they generally don't live very long. The only cavern creature to kill more than one of my Dwarves directly was a Cave Dragon, in about the 2nd year of Yelledwheeled my 2 mechanics at the time were loading cage traps in cavern 3 when they were attacked and killed by a Cave Dragon, fortunately, their deaths likely saved many others, as they managed to get one of the traps set up before the Cave Dragon could go into the fort, and the named CD has been sitting in a cage ever since.

Speaking of Yelledwheeled (which I just noticed I've written wrong in every other post, whoops) I've cleared out almost the entire bottom floor of the 1st Cavern layer (well, the level above where the water is, I'm flooring over the water for now, and pretending it isn't there), soon I'll set-up some ballista to deal with the water death trees/shrooms so I can create a safe building environment for the slaves        Cheese Makers        builders as they put in the other floors and walls on the remaining 2 layers between. After that's done, I might even give them a bedroom expansion... under the stipulation that they manage to get it done with 0 work related casualties.
If you've got dwarf problems, I feel bad for you, son.
I've got 99 whales because I killed Urist with one.

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #40853 on: April 14, 2015, 09:08:30 am »

Some giant keas came and stole some steel junks.
I managed to trap one of them who was carring a steel minecart in my drowning chamber.

But unfortunately, it didn't drown and carried the minecart away... ::)

I used dfhack tweak makeown on a cave fish woman and found she's legendary in observer, fighter and dodger.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2015, 09:29:43 am by utunnels »
The troglodyte head shakes The Troglodyte around by the head, tearing apart the head's muscle!

Risen Asteshdakas, Ghostly Recruit has risen and is haunting the fortress!

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #40854 on: April 14, 2015, 09:52:11 am »

Ziril Nakuthenkos, Engraver has given birth to quintuplets !

Oh. Right. I modded sentient races so the populations are higher...

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #40855 on: April 14, 2015, 11:35:45 am »

A siege has happened, in the second summer. That is, pretty fucking early.

It's a few goblins, I should be able to kill them and three goddamn great fiend spiders why whyyyy

Edit: Apparently GFS's do not use webs. Well, that was noticeably more easy then, still lost a few recruits... and my militia commander

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40856 on: April 14, 2015, 01:54:40 pm »

Hell bunker is complete.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Hell Bastion construction is underway - I'm about half done with the first layer, which is the hardest. I had my first two deaths - an engraver and a woodcrafter were thrown into a bottomless pit when a construction collapsed. Some new babies will be born to replace them. Still no demons sighted.

My goal is less than ten deaths. Honestly, I'm walling off hell, any number of casualties should be acceptable. But this is Bastiongate, and we don't do things halfway.

Fishanchips

• Bay Watcher
  • Look! The cliffs of INSANITY!
    • View Profile
« Reply #40857 on: April 14, 2015, 05:06:01 pm »

For some reason when the dwarf caravan came this time it said this

"No outpost liason? How curious..."

Any thoughts?
http://wiki.ss13.co/images/c/c8/ClownandAlien.jpeg

A screeching clown car pulls up to the safe house!
Circus members pour out of it and start throwing pies at the windows!

Aristion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40858 on: April 14, 2015, 05:51:45 pm »

Possibly a dying civ or the caravan lost the liaison along the way.
I kept imagining this guy go "By Armok, not the dead roaches! Oh gods the hamsters oh the dwarfmanity!"
Devotes several hours a day making vampires an endangered species.

Jefthefirst

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40859 on: April 14, 2015, 06:33:32 pm »

For some reason when the dwarf caravan came this time it said this

"No outpost liason? How curious..."

Any thoughts?

Your home civ is dead, but don't fret. Toil away and it may return in time.
I just atom smashed 30 children.
Pages: 1 ... 2722 2723 [2724] 2725 2726 ... 3842