Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2614 2615 [2616] 2617 2618 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6120354 times)

Iamblichos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #39225 on: January 20, 2015, 06:44:44 am »

Brushaxe slaughtered a bronze colossus (my first spotted in .40.x) and it rewarded them with a masterwork bronze statue of two forgotten beasts.

One year later, there was a FB who killed about 15 in the Web Incident.  Still waiting to see how much rage that's going to inspire in the dorfs.
I'm new to succession forts in general, yes, but do all forts designed by multiple overseers inevitably degenerate into a body-filled labyrinth of chaos and despair like this? Or is this just a Battlefailed thing?

There isn't much middle ground between killed-by-dragon and never-seen-by-dragon.

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #39226 on: January 20, 2015, 06:51:38 am »

oh wow my new embark is awesome geologically

not only i have magnetite and coal and volcano access on a 2x2 embark (thank you, volcanism variance) but i have marble at z-level -2 and only 11 levels deep what the serious fuck

i think i broke advanced worldgen

Also there are some heated rock errors. And I'm not sure I have water access, gotta check the caverns.
Seed?

I can give you the advanced worldgen parameters but how do I find the seed ?

FallenAngel

• Bay Watcher
  • !!x(oᴥo)x!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #39227 on: January 20, 2015, 09:36:26 am »

I can't seem to get my two-man squad to spar. They go to "individual combat drills" and demonstrations but never spar.
As a result, they've gained nearly no skill.
I think I'm doing something wrong.
Just noticed the commander had Macedwarf skill instead of Axedwarf; exchanging them for a random person might help.

ptb_ptb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39228 on: January 20, 2015, 09:45:01 am »

I can give you the advanced worldgen parameters but how do I find the seed ?
If you load your game then
ESC -> Export local image -> (e)xport images

There will be a file with the worldgen parameters _including_ the randomly generated seeds used for your world.
()==[:::::::::::::>

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #39229 on: January 20, 2015, 10:09:45 am »

I can't seem to get my two-man squad to spar. They go to "individual combat drills" and demonstrations but never spar.
As a result, they've gained nearly no skill.
I think I'm doing something wrong.
Just noticed the commander had Macedwarf skill instead of Axedwarf; exchanging them for a random person might help.

Sparring only happens when both dwarves have sufficient fighting skill.

You need to let them a few months, even maybe a year, together before they make babies spar.

I remember 40d when you gave training orders to dwarves they started to spar immediately and all over the place, next to whatever they could in your dining room, and they also frequently killed themselves doing so. Either by one dwarf killing another, either by a dwarf falling in a cliff/volcano.

ptb_ptb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39230 on: January 20, 2015, 10:19:03 am »

I remember 40d when you gave training orders to dwarves they started to spar immediately and all over the place, next to whatever they could in your dining room, and they also frequently killed themselves doing so. Either by one dwarf killing another, either by a dwarf falling in a cliff/volcano.

Dorfs can knock each other through solid walls while sparring. ;)
()==[:::::::::::::>

Astrid

• Bay Watcher
  • This is a text.
    • View Profile
« Reply #39231 on: January 20, 2015, 10:45:48 am »

Alllright, i just went to my local Jeweler workshop and turned a ordinary piece of chert stone into a cut stone. And i noticed that i could even cut ores and coal if i wanted....

...Since when is That an option to cut more than just jewels? O.o

I know it seems logical to be able to do that, and logically that stuff is less worth than a cut jewel.
But still, that option must be new...

FallenAngel

• Bay Watcher
  • !!x(oᴥo)x!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #39232 on: January 20, 2015, 10:46:51 am »

Alllright, i just went to my local Jeweler workshop and turned a ordinary piece of chert stone into a cut stone. And i noticed that i could even cut ores and coal if i wanted....

I know it seems logical to be able to do that, and logically that stuff is less worth than a cut jewel.
If I recall correctly, this has been a feature since at least DF2012. Probably earlier.

Astrid

• Bay Watcher
  • This is a text.
    • View Profile
« Reply #39233 on: January 20, 2015, 11:06:26 am »

Interesting... then again, i never really messed with the jeweler. *shrugs*

Detros

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39234 on: January 20, 2015, 11:12:50 am »

If I recall correctly, this has been a feature since at least DF2012. Probably earlier.
I may have found it:
16th May 2007: Toady One "messed around with stone/gem/metal raws"
29th October 2007: Dwarf Fortress version 0.27.169.32a was released
The changelog ("file_changes.txt") for this version also says: "Got rid of gem subtypes, folded gems into stone"

I guess that's it. So it has been a part of DF already for more then 7 years.

Beside other things, bay12forums is also the leader website in calculations of saguaro wood density.
(noted by jwoodward48df)

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #39235 on: January 20, 2015, 11:15:54 am »

All 5 soldiers had become legendary. But they stand no chance against poisonous FBs. So I left the beast alone. I don't want to explore the cavern anyway.

The baroness's attributes screen said she had good patience. But she felt outraged when I didn't give her decent bedroom and dining room. Not even a king had that bad temper. ::) So I stuffed her rooms with those expensive but useless bags.

Still no goblins this year.
The troglodyte head shakes The Troglodyte around by the head, tearing apart the head's muscle!

Risen Asteshdakas, Ghostly Recruit has risen and is haunting the fortress!

Iamblichos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39236 on: January 20, 2015, 11:24:11 am »

You... what, WHAT?

Most random observation of the dwarven year goes to...
+1 for killing those pests. I hate grey langurs, normal or big versions, it's full war if I see one.

That dude just stopped combat and threw some chit chat in the combat log for a moment, pretty normal.

"WHO CAN TAKE PLEASURE IN A PAVED ROAD WHEN DEATH IS ALL AROUND US I ASK YOU! WHO!?"

"Well, an axe lord probably."

"SHUT UP BOMREK NOBODY ASKED YOU!"

This made my day.  +1 to you.
I'm new to succession forts in general, yes, but do all forts designed by multiple overseers inevitably degenerate into a body-filled labyrinth of chaos and despair like this? Or is this just a Battlefailed thing?

There isn't much middle ground between killed-by-dragon and never-seen-by-dragon.

Lord_lemonpie

• Bay Watcher
  • disco-froggin' since 2013
    • View Profile
« Reply #39237 on: January 20, 2015, 11:53:32 am »

Nope, I've been able to cut regular stones and ore since I started playing DF (0.34.xx)

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Certified geezer & only man to win 0.40.24
    • View Profile
« Reply #39238 on: January 20, 2015, 03:56:31 pm »

I HAVE 216 ETTIN BONE CRAFTS
Pages: 1 ... 2614 2615 [2616] 2617 2618 ... 3842