Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2613 2614 [2615] 2616 2617 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6120361 times)

Iamblichos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #39210 on: January 19, 2015, 12:01:10 pm »

You... what, WHAT?

Most random observation of the dwarven year goes to...
I'm new to succession forts in general, yes, but do all forts designed by multiple overseers inevitably degenerate into a body-filled labyrinth of chaos and despair like this? Or is this just a Battlefailed thing?

There isn't much middle ground between killed-by-dragon and never-seen-by-dragon.

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
  • Achievment *Fail freshman year uni*
    • View Profile
« Reply #39211 on: January 19, 2015, 12:05:38 pm »

Attempted digging to a cavern and failed badly. Didn't find a cavern and wasted a months worth of work in hauling.
Caravan came by and decided to make crafts the month while they were there and gave them to the caravan for seeds and drinks
Fueled by caffeine, nicotine, and a surprisingly low will to live.
Cryxis makes the best typos.

Kuikka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39212 on: January 19, 2015, 01:18:28 pm »

You... what, WHAT?

+1 for killing those pests. I hate grey langurs, normal or big versions, it's full war if I see one.

That dude just stopped combat and threw some chit chat in the combat log for a moment, pretty normal.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #39213 on: January 19, 2015, 01:30:40 pm »

You... what, WHAT?

+1 for killing those pests. I hate grey langurs, normal or big versions, it's full war if I see one.

That dude just stopped combat and threw some chit chat in the combat log for a moment, pretty normal.

"WHO CAN TAKE PLEASURE IN A PAVED ROAD WHEN DEATH IS ALL AROUND US I ASK YOU! WHO!?"

"Well, an axe lord probably."

"SHUT UP BOMREK NOBODY ASKED YOU!"

Awessum Possum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39214 on: January 19, 2015, 02:36:18 pm »

Maybe he's just being philosophical?

I just lost dwarves to dehydration for the first time. Twelve, in the same exact instant. Thanks to a series of unfortunate events (reclaim gone wrong resulting in to many dwarves + forgetting to set booze uncookable + no water source = Fun).

On the other hand, I've never seen a fort handle the loss of a dozen dwarfs so well, no one even unhappy.
because everyone here is OCD and ADHD, and then complain when their dwarfs act similarly in game.
@I used to be an axelord like you, until I took a (+bronze bolt+) to the upper leg, chipping the bone through the *copper leggings*!@

NeatHedgehog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39215 on: January 19, 2015, 03:53:02 pm »

A wave of ten or eleven migrants had repopulated Gangtours to 15 grown dwarves, and three or four children. The task load on each dwarf was now lightened to the point where they could dedicate themselves to singular tasks, such as barrel-making, booze-making, gem cutting, and so on. One brave dwarf was even selected as a militia commander, and outfitted with a bronze spear and nearly full metal armor, which they acquired from the mountain home caravan.

The trouble began when the seasons changed and the overseer decided to open the gates in anticipation of the elvish caravan. Ordinarily, they wouldn't care to deal with the pointy-ears, but they were low on any non-edible supplies and were willing to trade anything with anyone for just a few stray pieces of armor, ammo, weapons, or more animals to expand their farming operations.

One of the war dogs they had brought with them on embark, long since turned into a zombie, slipped past the gates before they could be snapped shut. Poor fortress planning at its finest, to be sure. The lone military dwarf rushed out to great the foe, followed by a rag-tag band of hastily recruited chefs and farmers.

The courageous dwarf stabbed and hacked the undead beast with his spear time and time again, cutting off the monster's nose and thrashing the innards all about the main hall. Still, it would not die. The fight was in the dwarf's favor until, in a stroke of bad luck, the dog caught him in the hand with his powerful jaws, wresting the spear from his hold. Still, he fought on with the last of his strength, biting and shaking the dog by the feet until he collapsed from exhaustion. A newcomer to the fight, arriving late after picking up his gear, quickly ended the fight soon after, cutting off the beast's head with a powerful stroke.

Four brave dwarves were sent to the infirmary, unconscious and dying. Before the doctors could attend to them, another terror was upon them! A zombified falcon! The blasted overseer had not ordered the gate shut during the previous melee! The best armored and skilled dwarves were all laid out in the hospital, unable to fight for their fortress. The children burrowed into the hospital as well as a last resort to hide from the undead bird.

One by one, all able-bodied dwarves outside the hospital died, slain by the winged monster. Then, possibly, salvation! The elvish caravan had arrived! But, no, what were they doing?! They wandered too near to the undead turkey in the mountains, and it proceeded to kill the entire company. There would be no help from those poor souls. The children huddled around their fallen heroes in the hospital and waited to die.

And then, a miracle! A migrant wave of 30 dwarves, just in the nick of time! Several fell to undead falcons on their way to the fortress while the rest dashed through the gates as quick as they were able. They found themselves suddenly recruited, picking up whatever fallen arms were nearby, and attacked the lone undead bird still terrorizing the inner fortress. One dwarf, whether he was strong, skilled, or just lucky, defied all odds when he punched the beast in the chest, blasting it to smithereens. The horror which had nearly destroyed an entire fortress, finally destroyed by a single blow.

The fallen heroes of the original group died of their infections and thirst only a few days after before proper care could be arranged, so long had they been waiting. Only the children had witnessed their deeds, and they would tell the engravers and statue-makers what they had seen so they might be properly remembered. No dwarves from the original embark had survived. Would the overseer and these new dwarves learn from those who came before them and properly secure their halls? Only time would tell...

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #39216 on: January 19, 2015, 05:36:13 pm »

Using a world gen I found in the cookbook thread, I've set up a world to test both the spawn and Onol-kor (a race of fearless, pain insensitive warriors,) due to stupidity on my part costing me my other test fort. I have embarked on a volcano that my ignoring of names ed to it being called Cobaltfurnace, which as expected has no cobalt in sight, and settled by....

The Giant Furnace.

Apparently my dwarves have as much naming creativity as me.

Being surrounded with no allies, defense is a priority, especially if I'm the farthest out fort like I think I am. While in a pinch we could just bore a hole in the volcano, soldiers will be needed on the east side of the mountain, and traps inside if they manage to fight thier way past the militia, and probably an emergency magma drain to incinerate anything that tries to seize the main stairs. So far there's galena and marble on site, which worries me as blunt weapons are virtually worthless against the Spawn of Holistic.

At any rate, this place will probably be the last bastion of dwarfdom before long, assuming everyone focuses on killing the dorfs and not eachother.

EDIT: Or not. Apparently there's a tiny sliver of evil savage ground and a giant tercile peregrine about to attack the place and all I have is six dogs and the miners and one woodcutter to fight it, since they're the only ones armed right now.

Taking all bets, at least two dead. Bare minimum either directly or of injuries.

Total party kill due to the dogs leading it inside. I'm not even going to attempt a reclaim, that fucking bird will be waiting to slauughter everyone anyway andI don't feel like dealing with cleaning up the shit that'll be scattered even if they survive.

Knit tie

• Bay Watcher
  • Consider avatar too slim until end of diet.
    • View Profile
« Reply #39217 on: January 19, 2015, 07:05:48 pm »

oh wow my new embark is awesome geologically

not only i have magnetite and coal and volcano access on a 2x2 embark (thank you, volcanism variance) but i have marble at z-level -2 and only 11 levels deep what the serious fuck

i think i broke advanced worldgen

Also there are some heated rock errors. And I'm not sure I have water access, gotta check the caverns.
Seed?

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #39218 on: January 19, 2015, 07:11:42 pm »

I have lots of oversized rhino meat stacks that can't be put in barrels. The chef will be pleased.

The glassmaker went berserk shortly after I locked him up in his workshop. He was then killed by a hammer dorf.

Then the human caravan came, with some raw green glass the glassmaker had demanded.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2015, 07:24:13 pm by utunnels »
The troglodyte head shakes The Troglodyte around by the head, tearing apart the head's muscle!

Risen Asteshdakas, Ghostly Recruit has risen and is haunting the fortress!

NeatHedgehog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39219 on: January 19, 2015, 09:32:01 pm »

Well, that was just odd. After all the various killings by undead which have been wide-spread and fortress threatening, a wrestler / training hammerdwarf flipped out after helping kill a zombie elf and tore all around the map killing undead everywhere like they were nothing. My remaining 40-ish dwarves are having a pretty easy time of things now.

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #39220 on: January 20, 2015, 01:37:16 am »

My hamlet became a barony.

The caravan from mountainhome ran away.
I found two missing wagon in the deceased list.
It appears the caravan was attacked by some dingos.

So no steel bars this year.

The troglodyte head shakes The Troglodyte around by the head, tearing apart the head's muscle!

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #39221 on: January 20, 2015, 02:42:05 am »

I tried to lower the bridge to my dorfs could go out to load the cage traps.
But when I checked the bridge, it was gone.
Maybe I deconstructed it by mistake, but I can't recall.

Urist Tilaturist

• Bay Watcher
  • The most dwarven name possible.
    • View Profile
« Reply #39222 on: January 20, 2015, 03:19:39 am »

Can you loot the spilled wagon contents?
On the item is an image of a dwarf and an elephant. The elephant is striking down the dwarf.

For old times' sake.

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #39223 on: January 20, 2015, 03:32:00 am »

Can you loot the spilled wagon contents?

Yeah, I found them.

Astrid

• Bay Watcher
  • This is a text.
    • View Profile
« Reply #39224 on: January 20, 2015, 06:05:59 am »

In a fit of rage my Manager decided to craft a giant lovebird bone short sword.
Let's see how good it is going to perform. Probablot very, but meh, who cares. :P
Pages: 1 ... 2613 2614 [2615] 2616 2617 ... 3842