Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2372 2373 [2374] 2375 2376 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6098841 times)

Wolfhunter107

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #35595 on: July 12, 2014, 08:44:13 pm »

1st Moonstone was a bad day in my current fort:

Also, HFS absolutely murdered my FPS.
Not a bit fort, maybe 8 living dwarves, was sitting on the FPS cap up till HFS.
With HFS it's about 0.25FPS, or a frame every 4 seconds.
How did you manage to get three wereelk goblins?
Just ask yourself: What would a mobster do?
So we butcher them and build a 4chan tallow soap tower as a monument to our greatness?

Maolagin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35596 on: July 12, 2014, 09:10:47 pm »

I landed a world with a couple of dwarf civs, one of them apparently extinct. Its sites were next door to an extremely aggressive goblin civ led by a demon, so go figure. But, two of them were ruined by forgotten beasts instead of being taken over by the goblins, and were thus available for reclaiming. This led to the following set of actions:

Reclaim Esteemeddye. Spend a year attracting migrants, exploring the ruined fort, setting up basic industries, and failing to find the supposed monster scorpion. Retire fort.

Reclaim Roughlances. Spend a couple of months getting set up in the ruins, finding and walling in the "current resident," and exploring. Retire fort.

Go to un-retire Esteemeddye, but what's this? It's listed as a ruin again! Over to legends: a few weeks after retiring, the goblins came back and conquered it. Slaughtered all the dwarves in official positions in various gruesome ways, but seem to have left the commoners alone. Also, apparently a dwarf bandit gang formed there, like immediately after retiring.

But, since they didn't make it a goblin site, it's available to reclaim, which we do with a new expedition. Almost immediately, "An ambush!" I view the revealed unit, and the name rings a bell ... it's one of the dwarves from my previous embark! I find several of these, including an outpost liaison who was apparently still on-site when I retired the fort. Although hostile, none of them react to the new dwarves presence at all. Otherwise, everything is exactly where I left it. This includes the seeds in the farm plots, which apparently went into stasis for the duration.

After a few weeks, since we evidently aren't being attacked by a horde of goblins, I retire again to check the populations in legends. My previously dead civ now has a whole passel of royalty! Seems in the weeks since I left them, the dwarves at Roughlances decided to declare themselves nobility, and have become barons, ambassadors, generals, and a queen. Guess that means I resurrected the civilization.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2014, 09:15:25 pm by Maolagin »

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35597 on: July 12, 2014, 09:26:35 pm »

Copying the save and retiring and attempting a reclaim of another fortress has shown why I'm having such immense difficulty with getting attack: I'm pertty much in the literal ass end of the country from where the fighting is and two forts have been destroyed since and many others occupied.

I'm gonna be waiting a very long time for an attack.

Bobnova

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35598 on: July 12, 2014, 09:44:06 pm »

1st Moonstone was a bad day in my current fort:

Also, HFS absolutely murdered my FPS.
Not a bit fort, maybe 8 living dwarves, was sitting on the FPS cap up till HFS.
With HFS it's about 0.25FPS, or a frame every 4 seconds.
How did you manage to get three wereelk goblins?

Genned a pocket island with far, far, far more caves/lairs than normal and ran a 5000 year history. Had two lairs in that map, each with two goblin wereElks. Was a bit odd. They didn't come hunt the dwarves down or anything, but I could see 'em moving around.

Fort lasted about 10 days after that day, all but one of the dwarves living at the time were killed by the usual suspects. The goblins were too slow.
The odd dwarf out was killed by the queen in a tantrum. She spent a couple dozen rounds punching him in the head till she pulped it.
Then she was incinerated.
I should have manually incinerated her months prior. Having the queen in your starting 7 is an issue.
how do I lizard Werewolf
ther seems to be a little gecko problem somehwere.
O gawd, drank all ten beers. And 3/5 of this at dinner.  I'm dronk.

HunterBlackLuna

• Bay Watcher
  • [REQUIRES_LNP]
    • View Profile
« Reply #35599 on: July 12, 2014, 10:22:56 pm »

I just realized a mistake I've made.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Guess what it was, it relates to my attempts to dig a moat.

WanderingKid

• Bay Watcher
  • The Overfiend
    • View Profile
« Reply #35600 on: July 12, 2014, 10:40:35 pm »

It's... frozen?  Dunno, don't read ASCII.

Aristion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35601 on: July 12, 2014, 10:52:57 pm »

It is so hard to get anything done when a zombie siege prevents the 2 initial migration waves of a dead dwarf civ.
I kept imagining this guy go "By Armok, not the dead roaches! Oh gods the hamsters oh the dwarfmanity!"
Devotes several hours a day making vampires an endangered species.

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #35602 on: July 12, 2014, 11:02:54 pm »

It's... frozen?  Dunno, don't read ASCII.
There's a huge road from worldgen cutting through the middle of his map, and coincidentally his fort. So he can't channel out more for the moat, because there's the road in the way. There's literally a road through his defenses.
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

Solon64

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35603 on: July 12, 2014, 11:15:53 pm »

More than just that if I'm reading his ASCII correctly (havent used the base tileset in so long...)

A) His moat/channel is WAY too huge to be filled by just stagnant ponds.  They'll pour out to well past 1/7 depth and then evaporate. EDIT: Yup, they already are, just noticed the 1s and 3s, haha.

B) It looks like he goofed in digging the channel anyway.  Look at the western part of the road, where it dips.  A couple of those downramps are the blue of water pouring out.  Easily fixed, once the water is done evaporating (see point A).  Connected problem: the east end dip in the road.  What are you gonna do, build retaining walls for your moat that carry on past the dip?  That makes it more like an aqueduct, it's gonna look pretty goofy, haha

C) This one is only a possibility since I'm not on his map, but the large amount of yellow grass suggests a warm-to-hot environment.  It's entirely possible the site will suffer water evaporation while on the surface during the summer months, making even a small murky-pool-fed-moat improbable or impossible.

These are all just guesses from what I see.  If you got an aquifer, that solves pretty much all your moat problems.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2014, 11:18:14 pm by Solon64 »
PS: Seriously, you must have, like, super-getting-lost skills. You could go missing in a straight corridor and impale yourself on flat ground if I don't tell you where to go.

dirkdragonslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Modder, Proficient Failure
    • View Profile
« Reply #35604 on: July 12, 2014, 11:19:57 pm »

Two of my very talented starting seven died in a tragic bridge accident, then I got a migrant wave of a bone carver, and two fishery workers to replace them, and then a wave of 6 kids. I am currently making two sets of red panda leather armor, and two bronze pairs of swords and shields to outfit the next wave of migrants(my guess is it will be a fisherman and a cheesemaker, and their 18 kids.) Also, the two people who died did so under a bridge they were constructing, so no one sees their corpses and gets unhappy, and when they came back to haunt, they are only really spooking the salmon and river otters.
"Games come and go, and we all get tired of some games after time, but Dwarf Fortress seems to grab me by the leg every couple months and drags me back with it's bloody, ASCII claw. I think this game has given me Stockholm syndrome, but I love it so, and it's simplistic style yet extremely complex mechanics are like fine art, like a beautifully crafted ☼Cave Spider Silk Sock☼" - Dirk 3/31/2014
TAIL SHOOOOES!

Solon64

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35605 on: July 12, 2014, 11:23:33 pm »

Two training accidents in the space of a week. Captain Kreia suffered a severe injury to her shield arm, the wound "skidding" along the ground and splitting into gore. This is more likely a permanent injury, but it's been dressed, immobilized, put in a cast and... She basically tied her shield to her spear arm and continued like nothing happened. Militadwarf Merrick suffered a similar injury to his sword arm, and I know this is due to the lack of gauntlets, which is now being remedied (I thought I'd issued enough to avoid such accidents.)

How long to broken bones typically take to heal for a dwarf?

Also, make sure you armor your dwarves properly before letting them train boys and girls. Grapples can be nearly fatal. Which reminds me, I should probably make sure there's enough helmets and caps to go around.

EDIT: I have some good news, "split into gore" injuries are not permanent people. Kreia has regained the use of her left hand.

Hmm... You don't suppose in the right circumstances a training drill can be turned into an arena fight right?

Oh that's fairly simple.  Just make sure all your soldiers are tantrumming all the time.  One flips his shit, throws a punch, and suddenly everyone in there is going at it like starving badgers on a wounded dwarf baby.
PS: Seriously, you must have, like, super-getting-lost skills. You could go missing in a straight corridor and impale yourself on flat ground if I don't tell you where to go.

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35606 on: July 12, 2014, 11:29:38 pm »

Built the first drowning trap I've attempted in awhile, and managed to atomsmash three dwarves, two cats, and a goat in its inaugural run The thing works though, quick and dirty as it is, and has already done what my ten-strong militia failed several times to do: kill off half a dozen axe-wielding gobbos without fleeing the field in terror before they've even met the enemy. I've put the memorial slabs of those killed in the accident in the weapon's control room. Their deaths have ensured the fortress' safety should the militia abandon their posts before the gates can be closed.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

HunterBlackLuna

• Bay Watcher
  • [REQUIRES_LNP]
    • View Profile
« Reply #35607 on: July 12, 2014, 11:47:21 pm »

A, B, and C all happen to be correct. I thought I was clever for channeling to these pools of water, but all I did was remove my surface water sources and not make the outpost any more secure at all. I've hit the aquifer but am not quite sure how to get the infinite water up and flowing. Ah, well.

Maolagin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35608 on: July 13, 2014, 04:38:02 am »

Ugh. Un-retired a fort but my FPS didn't show up for work. Seems to have stabilized at about 4 FPS. I wonder if it's connected to the fact that everyone started out mysteriously hauling socks and barrels out of the caverns.

Also discovered: when the fortress comes back online, if a dwarf lands in an unrevealed area, they can't path to jobs elsewhere. And only revealed dwarves cause new areas to be revealed.

Rince Wind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35609 on: July 13, 2014, 04:40:47 am »

A, B, and C all happen to be correct. I thought I was clever for channeling to these pools of water, but all I did was remove my surface water sources and not make the outpost any more secure at all. I've hit the aquifer but am not quite sure how to get the infinite water up and flowing. Ah, well.

I would have removed the upramps as well, at least on the inside, not sure if they path through it now. But like this everybody who falls into the water can climb out anywhere they like.
Pages: 1 ... 2372 2373 [2374] 2375 2376 ... 3842