Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2370 2371 [2372] 2373 2374 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6098848 times)

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #35565 on: July 12, 2014, 01:12:19 pm »

My dwarves are surprisingly smart. Third werebull attack (or possibly fourth, I lost track,) and like the ones before, the teeth were among the first thing to go. Seriously dunno why werecreatures seem so intent upon attacking this place. Maybe they want to die.

EDIT: Oh fuck, that one used to be an elf. It must've been a scout, IT MUST HAVE BEEN.

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #35566 on: July 12, 2014, 01:28:18 pm »

Started my first fortress in .40.02. Nothing special, woodland 4x4 embark w/ an aquifer not far from the mountain homes, hoping I can produce some good metal gear for a dwarf adventurer. There's a bunch of goblin sites nearby, so we may be getting goblin visitors early.

Wow, FPS is poor. Used to be able to run at at least 100 frames after embark in a 3x3, now it's only 25. Probably partly because it's 4x4 and not 3x3, which I didn't realize until already embarking.

I kinda like managing labors without Dwarf Therapist. It just feels simpler. I'm sure once I get my first huge migrant wave I'll feel differently.
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

Aristion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35567 on: July 12, 2014, 01:39:59 pm »

The dwarf merchants' pack animals have wandered away from the depot after arrival.
I kept imagining this guy go "By Armok, not the dead roaches! Oh gods the hamsters oh the dwarfmanity!"
Devotes several hours a day making vampires an endangered species.

KingBacon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35568 on: July 12, 2014, 01:48:34 pm »

Not much is going on at my fort. I retired it and visited as an adventurer (so much free booze and armor :P) There are some complaints about a necromancer tower, might go check that out.

Reclaiming an inhabited fort is bugged, but visiting one you've retired does not seem to cause FPS troubles or crashes.

So has anyone modified their fort designs after seen the pregenned dwarf mountainhomes? I really like the 1 tile hallways for bedrooms jutting off from main walking paths. I used to do 2x wide paths but I think this style is more aesthetically pleasing.
    e    e   e    U   U     
, , , . , , , , , , , ; , , , , , ; , , , , , 
. . . . . . . e U e   . . 0╬0 
###x##############
###x .  . ☼ ☼####£####
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35569 on: July 12, 2014, 01:50:11 pm »

The dwarf merchants' pack animals have wandered away from the depot after arrival.
There's a serious problem with animals. They tend to jump around and studder when being led somewhere and it's not possible to train them.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35570 on: July 12, 2014, 01:54:00 pm »

There's a serious problem with animals. They tend to jump around and studder when being led somewhere and it's not possible to train them.

I saw that too, but they do return to the depot come time to pack up and piss off and wagon pullers stay with the wagon.

fomori

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35571 on: July 12, 2014, 02:03:45 pm »

Currently using the old version since I'm not sure if the new one is stable (did 40.02 deal with the mass cowardice thing?). Human embark, going well. Quite a few firsts, it must be said:

I got a weapon Lord for the first time-from competent Maceman to Macelord in one year of training :o prodigy.

I had a three-year old get a Strange Mood. She made a nice oaken sceptre, became a Legendary woodcrafter and then went to bed. Aww.

One of my custom Secrets turned up, a water-mage. He cheats at hunting by suffocating the animal, bombarding it with ice and then finishing it off with a crossbow bolt. His kill-list consists of various wildlife and 42 trolls.

As of now I've just had a huge migrant wave bringing me up to 56 people. Aside from losing two babies to goblins though, nothing serious has happened yet. But considering the frequency I've been getting thieves and snatchers, the fact that my wealth is increasing, and that the embark is surrounded by Goblins and Drow (custom races hooray)...

Well, I have a feeling things might be about to get Fun.

AernJardos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35572 on: July 12, 2014, 02:25:50 pm »

I was attempting to dig a self cleaning well using the river from the other side of the grasslands. My wells always become these pointlessly elaborate constructions involving too many doors, grates, channels, and levers. Somehow I placed a door in the wrong section, and the miner was stuck at the bottom of the newly-flooding well. He proceeded to ignore both ramps that led to safety and just kind of flaff around in the 7 deep water. After about half an hour (realtime) he decided he was hungry and climbed right out. His thoughts showed that he "enjoyed a nice bath recently. " ...Righto then!

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #35573 on: July 12, 2014, 02:28:41 pm »

Currently using the old version since I'm not sure if the new one is stable (did 40.02 deal with the mass cowardice thing?).

Not the mass cowardice thing. I think that might be in for the long haul, but obviously pretty much everything's subject to change right now. Fixed a whole bunch of other bugs though.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

vjek

• Bay Watcher
  • If it didn't work, change the world so it does.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35574 on: July 12, 2014, 02:39:11 pm »

Found this after worldgen in my world_sites_and_pops.txt:

4: Ogurolngö, "Blackmonstrous", dark fortress
   Owner: The Seductions of Turquoise, goblins
   Parent Civ: The Sullen Scourge, goblins
   lord: Nguslu Weredrills the Unthinkable Hegemon of Meeting, goblin
   10138 goblins
   1 ass devil
   5100 trolls

Yes indeed.  ass devil.  Very scary. :P

Aristion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35575 on: July 12, 2014, 03:29:04 pm »

Just hit all 3 caverns in 40.02 and they were all below Z-level 0.

EDIT: Just roasted my king who has only been king for a year in the magma sea.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2014, 03:35:05 pm by Aristion »
I kept imagining this guy go "By Armok, not the dead roaches! Oh gods the hamsters oh the dwarfmanity!"

Wolfhunter107

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35576 on: July 12, 2014, 03:29:36 pm »

The plumbing for the well has been finished, and the water is flowing. All it needs now is a well. The bedroom wing is almost done, most of the rooms have beds, and half have doors. I set up an ore/economic stone stockpile so the dwarves will bring the coal in from outside. Stone crafts are being produced now. I hope that dwarves are immune to mercury poisoning, there's Cinnibar everywhere.

Elsewhere in the embark, the Hippos and River Otters are reproducing while in the river. Thankfully, they are at the bottom of the canyon, and it'll take them a long time to get to the fort if they ever want to bother me. There is now a second badger skeleton at the bottom of the second waterfall, near the edge of the map. I have no idea where they are coming from.

I also got the most underwhelming migrant wave ever- a potash maker and a carpenter. The former now makes crafts, since I needed somebody to do it, and I don't need potash right now.

Autumn has come.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2014, 03:35:32 pm by Wolfhunter107 »
Just ask yourself: What would a mobster do?
So we butcher them and build a 4chan tallow soap tower as a monument to our greatness?

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35577 on: July 12, 2014, 03:41:47 pm »

I can't wait for spring to come. The Special Diamond and ripe Fragrance are still locked in bloody conflict and I sincerely wish for my dorfs to do thier part. Winter is passing quietly, though the populous of Spiritnets chaffs under constant booze shortages brought on by overzealous chefs and a triple digit population. Mercifully the hospital well and the old well built two years prior in the face of a similar shortage brought on by lack of a suitable farmer.

Inspection of the civ screen reveal a baron named Limul Kekimkadol has also now taken up arms as well, become a hammerdwarf. Royals who actually do something indeed.

EDIT: Also I am waiting for something to not get produced resulting in a fortress guard having to explain that he has no idea how to non fatally beat someone with his sword.

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35578 on: July 12, 2014, 03:57:36 pm »

New fort, scouting for the underground layers. Found layer 1 and... it's got a chalk block 'road' of floor tiles? Looks like I should expect underground civilisation when I eventually send soldiers.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

Aristion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35579 on: July 12, 2014, 04:21:33 pm »

New fort, scouting for the underground layers. Found layer 1 and... it's got a chalk block 'road' of floor tiles? Looks like I should expect underground civilisation when I eventually send soldiers.

Thats a tunnel either made by dwarfs or gobblins. Most likely dwarfs.
Pages: 1 ... 2370 2371 [2372] 2373 2374 ... 3842