Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2331 2332 [2333] 2334 2335 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6100867 times)

Knick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #34980 on: June 16, 2014, 08:58:32 am »

For some reason, the Goblin civ is at peace with the Dwarves.  I am actually pleased since the last siege damn near broke my military, killing almost a quarter of my force.  I would be pleased to trade with them if they ever send a caravan.  I think this is the first time I have not been at war with the goblins.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day.  Light a man on fire and you keep him warm for the rest of his life.
The great Dwarfen Philosopher Urist McConfused said it best:  "Light a kitten on fire and it will run screaming into the booze stockpile and catch the whole fort up.  I know, we tested it in twelve different forts and it always happened."

callisto8413

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34981 on: June 16, 2014, 10:26:47 am »

And behold....

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Next project - Waiting for the children to become adults and force them to take the G.O.A.T.

Oh, wait, wrong game.
The most EVIL creature in Dwarf Fortress!

deepfreeze78

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34982 on: June 16, 2014, 12:56:38 pm »

For some reason, the Goblin civ is at peace with the Dwarves.  I am actually pleased since the last siege damn near broke my military, killing almost a quarter of my force.  I would be pleased to trade with them if they ever send a caravan.  I think this is the first time I have not been at war with the goblins.

They'll be at war again very, very, very soon. They're snatchers, so there's no way to stop it.
Nothing's truly dwarfy until it's been weaponized to kill elves with magma.

callisto8413

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34983 on: June 16, 2014, 01:19:44 pm »

I trade with the goblins all the time.  I give them release from this prison we call life in the form of a slow, painful, bone crunching death.  And they give me iron, copper, and other metal items.  Its win/win.
The most EVIL creature in Dwarf Fortress!

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #34984 on: June 16, 2014, 03:13:22 pm »

Starting a little challenge fortress on a haunted glacier called "The Black Glacier." Peasants, a pick, a plump helmet, year 2 of the world, haunted glacier, let's build the mountain home.

To start things off well, a blizzard man somehow got a hold of a dwarf's llama wool cap and now he's whacking my dwarves with it.
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

ZzarkLinux

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_BUN:#1]
    • View Profile
« Reply #34985 on: June 16, 2014, 05:19:08 pm »

The Drunian butchering is going alright. We killed most of them, and one got knocked off a bunker roof into the cavern lake. But two dwarves also fell into the lake too, and they came back up into the farm and got two more dwarves. Then some injured dwarves got moved to the hospital and suddenly I got zombies up there too. I think I lost ~7 dwarves and all of my adult dogs (though I still got puppies).

So overall, drunian meat and dog meat for everyone. One dwarf celebrated by tantrumming and throwing the meat at a cat's head.

Archereon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34986 on: June 16, 2014, 05:54:12 pm »

So a pterosaur made out of steel with deadly dust just appeared in my first cavern layer, and, as none of the dorfs seemed to be interested in getting off their arses to wall of the caverns, it got into the fortress unmolested, and proceeded to systematically slaughter my entire military to the last dwarf and kill the majority of the population. I didn't even realize FB's could be made of metal, and nothing I threw at it (I had no feasible way to drop a cave in on it at the time) even dented it.

The deadly dust appears to be the most fun kind of syndrome dust, aka the "instant systemic necrosis that kills you in about 5 seconds", and by the time the dust settled, there were about 10 dwarves walled off from the FB, 100 or so dead, 20 trapped in the main fortress, and of the ~30 survivors, nearly half of them were miserable and tantruming.

gg Toady, gg.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2014, 06:03:43 pm by Archereon »
I want to tell you they were bad men, cephalo.  I want to tell you that with a better overseer the Fortress never would've gotten so bad someone would get offed in a pointless fisticuffs.
But the sad truth charlie?
It was inevitable.

nickbii

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34987 on: June 16, 2014, 05:59:08 pm »

Thanks for the help. Once I get my dwarves clad in full steel I'll have 2 ambushes worth of goblins to slaughter. ;)

If only I had bituminous coal on the map though... Charcoal is kind of ineffective, but it's not like I have that much to do... 5 sets of shields, gloves and boots...

To take everything from caged goblins, run a d-b-d on the cage, then exit out of the menu. k over the cage, and un-designate the cage itself for dumping. It will take eons for them to take everything. Before you assign them to a chain, check them in the u [tab][tab] c i menu. That should pull up the inventory of the gobbo in question. If they have stuff on them, don't assign them to a chain.
When I was active I didn't like doing it this way. It took forever, and then one axe-blow killed the gobboes. If you leave them in their armor all the dorfs have to do is steal one weapon from each gobbo, and then when the mass execution happens the gobboes get protected by their armor, and can use their shield-user/dodger/etc. skills. the result is your military dwarves get more experience.

My method requires a very accurate inventory, so you better have a pretty good book-keeper. This is in addition to the active dump zone, of course.

First I claim all the stuff the gobboes are wearing. This uses d-b-c. Just tell it to claim the entire cage stockpile. When that's done you uses d-b-h to hide the the entire cage stockpile.

Then you go into stocks from your status screen, and go down to your weapons. Hit tab so instead of viewing a list of how many of each weapon you got, you're viewing the list of weapons. Go through and hit 'd' whenever you see a weapon with a blue 'H' by it. Then you un-hide the cage stockpile with d-b-H.

I actually found myself use hide and unhide a lot, because I really hated it when some stupid lump of rock was in the way of me seeing whether the loveable little twerps had dropped a chair when somebody decided to run from a cockroach or something.

ZzarkLinux

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_BUN:#1]
    • View Profile
« Reply #34988 on: June 16, 2014, 06:12:22 pm »

So a pterosaur made out of steel with deadly dust just appeared in my first cavern layer ... it got into the fortress unmolested, and proceeded to systematically slaughter my entire military to the last dwarf and kill the majority of the population.
The deadly dust appears to be the most fun kind of syndrome dust, aka the "instant systemic necrosis that kills you in about 5 seconds", and by the time the dust settled, there were about 10 dwarves walled off from the FB, 100 or so dead, 20 trapped in the main fortress, and of the ~30 survivors, nearly half of them were miserable and tantruming.

gg Toady, gg.

Please, please go find an artwork thread and post this. Or draw something yourself. This must be visualized.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2014, 06:14:44 pm by ZzarkLinux »

Archereon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34989 on: June 16, 2014, 06:47:11 pm »

Tell me about it; that thing is probably the most brutal FB I've ever encountered, and, according to the wiki, is just about the worst FB possible; a clear sign that my dwarves haven't been sacrificing enough babies to the random number god.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2014, 07:56:18 pm by Archereon »
I want to tell you they were bad men, cephalo.  I want to tell you that with a better overseer the Fortress never would've gotten so bad someone would get offed in a pointless fisticuffs.
But the sad truth charlie?
It was inevitable.

KiBoy

• Bay Watcher
  • You have been struck down! It was inevitable.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34990 on: June 16, 2014, 07:21:05 pm »

When I was active I didn't like doing it this way. It took forever, and then one axe-blow killed the gobboes. If you leave them in their armor all the dorfs have to do is steal one weapon from each gobbo, and then when the mass execution happens the gobboes get protected by their armor, and can use their shield-user/dodger/etc. skills. the result is your military dwarves get more experience.

My method requires a very accurate inventory, so you better have a pretty good book-keeper. This is in addition to the active dump zone, of course.

First I claim all the stuff the gobboes are wearing. This uses d-b-c. Just tell it to claim the entire cage stockpile. When that's done you uses d-b-h to hide the the entire cage stockpile.

Then you go into stocks from your status screen, and go down to your weapons. Hit tab so instead of viewing a list of how many of each weapon you got, you're viewing the list of weapons. Go through and hit 'd' whenever you see a weapon with a blue 'H' by it. Then you un-hide the cage stockpile with d-b-H.

I actually found myself use hide and unhide a lot, because I really hated it when some stupid lump of rock was in the way of me seeing whether the loveable little twerps had dropped a chair when somebody decided to run from a cockroach or something.

Yeah, I noticed it too. Even dabbling axedwarves were lethal to naked gobbos and majority of them barely got to novice. Great...

And well, my fortress of Bluetower was struck with tragedy today. Everything started fairly normal. I got another migrant wave which put me at around 70 dwarves strong, and soon later I get another snatcher announcement. This time however that one snatcher stabbed a random migrant carpenter ( couldn't care less about him ) and shortly after he suffocated. The first death in my fort.

For some reason he didn't want to leave the map and he kept scaring other dwarves off, so the genius me decided: "Let the axedwarves deal with him and gain experience!" And so they were send to kill the snatched, clad in full steel equipment...

Then an ambush came. It was just a single gobbo, so I though he's just gonna fall into the cage trap. But then another ambush came. This one was FULL ARCHERS. Oh shitting and thinking I retreated my dwarves into the dining hall for their own safety.

Both fortunately and unfortunately, my 5 greenhorn axedwarves were still outside, but on the opposite side of my microcline tower. And then they discovered another ambush; This one had 2 axe lords. They quickly dispatched 3 of my 5 soldiers, leaving my axe commander to deal with them... Ah, did I mention they STILL HAD THEIR TRAINING AXES?

Yep. My DABBLING commander with WOODEN AXE was courageously taking on 3 axegobbos, 2 lords, the other dwarf was... just standing around. So after stationing him right next to the fight... he promptly got one-shotted.

The archers have been dispatched by human caravan guards ( Heh, 2nd human caravan that saves my bacon from gobbos ) and my poor axe commander is being constantly struck by those 3, unconscious, bleeding and pale. In exchange he's now a master axedwarf and I think he even got up to legendary fighter, just parrying blows until he kills one of the lords. I don't know how long will he last, and the help I send him ( my huntress, the one who slain the minotaur ) has been promptly gutted. If that dwarf survives the whole ordeal he's gonna be greeted with utmost dwarven honor... and no booze, since these slackers in burrows don't do anything and my stocks are dangerously close to single digit...

Another day in Bluetower, it seems...
« Last Edit: June 16, 2014, 07:24:06 pm by KiBoy »
"Ha-ha-halt in the name of the Obeisant Vegetation!  Okay, Princess, you can speak to the Necromancer now."
"A-anou, Necromancer-san, could...  C-Could I have your autograph?"
If you imagine an 8-bit Hinata with elf ears, it gets even more ridiculous ^_^

FallenAngel

• Bay Watcher
  • !!x(oᴥo)x!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #34991 on: June 16, 2014, 07:38:47 pm »

Just got my first legendary BEFORE THE FIRST MIGRANT WAVES.
Miners get experience fast.
The other miner is Accomplished, which is still quite good.
The other people are Proficient, except for the Stonecrafter, who is Expert.

PDF urist master

• Bay Watcher
  • Born from cold iron
    • View Profile
« Reply #34992 on: June 16, 2014, 09:37:16 pm »

my giant cave spiders finally gave birth one year after modding in [child:1]. the stats aren't very good, but it is female, and a strong breeding base is essential before I get too picky.
We are not evil by choice, but evil by necessity.

Zaerosz

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼sperm whale leather thong☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #34993 on: June 17, 2014, 01:01:18 am »

My animal training area looks like a mushroom.
くコ:彡

flabort

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a demilich, despite the 4e and 5e nerfs
    • View Profile
« Reply #34994 on: June 17, 2014, 01:10:27 am »

My animal training area looks like a mushroom.
That's.... actually a pretty cool quirk of the cave systems.
Koodos to another randomly generated image that actually resembles something real.
(Saying it's impressive might be too much, but it's still pretty cool)
The Cyan Menace

Went away for a while, came back, went away for a while, and back for now.
Pages: 1 ... 2331 2332 [2333] 2334 2335 ... 3842