Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2333 2334 [2335] 2336 2337 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6100876 times)

§k

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #35010 on: June 17, 2014, 07:50:14 pm »

Lead might be too soft for spike. You may use minecart or retract bridge to throw lead bars in hallway when enemy approaches.
All of them are wearing copper and Iron masks saying "in a time before time somebody attacked somebody"

Show undead posts since last visit.

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35011 on: June 17, 2014, 08:04:00 pm »

You can't make weapons and trap components out of lead anyway.

Minecarts, projectile ammo (minecart shotguns and goblin tumblers), metalcrafter training material (make goblets of it; that produces three items per job, worth 20~x quality multiplier); that's pretty much it. Galena's a very heavy ore, so if you have more than you can smelt, you can simply use galena boulders to weigh down your minecarts.

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35012 on: June 17, 2014, 08:56:54 pm »

I just logged into an old(ish) fort of mine, and after a few minutes of expanding, a feathery scorpion FB appeared in the cavern lake I was using for water (I embarked on a glacier/taiga area).
Couple minutes later, he appeared in my fort, probably teleported up the well somehow.
He chased everyone out of my shallow-dug fort, and was in the walled-in trade zone of the surface, and was being attacked by a stray dog. I then set my militia on him, upon realizing he was doing nothing to the dog.
I realized he was STILL not fighting back, and drafted the rest of my dwarfs and set all 17 or so of THEM on him. (None of my dwarfs ever so much as used a pick on him, I have no weapons)
Within a minute, I checked reports, he had done nothing but push a dog twice. Then I checked his wounds...Everything in his body was broken (Complete function loss. He was a vegetable at this point, lol), except for his stomach, which was just "partial loss."
He died within 4 minutes from the ceaseless pounding. I then managed to butcher the "Towering feathered scorpion" who had lost his stinger to a dog, giving me over 360 FB meat. My fortress is hereby existing on nothing but FB products for a LONG, LONG time. He reached 15 pages of hit reports, and did nothing but push dogs no more than 6 times. I think that is the reason he had no titles, and perhaps not even more than a couple troglodyte kills, though I haven't checked his kills yet. I think I need a military, in case the next one can fight back.
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #35013 on: June 17, 2014, 09:11:40 pm »

A roc attacked Hammerflickered's surface. It died quickly once the 10 assorted melee dwarves warmed it. Despite all the edged weaponry causing lots of bloody wounds, ultimately it was a hammerdwarf who claimed the kill by caving in the bird's skull. Sibrek Channelboats the Tin Confinement of Deeps, founding hammerdwarf and militia captain, adds another name to her kill list. I pity the poor hauler who has to lug the roc's corpse all the way down to the butcher's shop.

In other news, the ~100 zlvl magma pump stack has been finished. Currently working on the last tweaks to the perpetual motion water engine that's hopefully going to power the stack. When a miner pierced the magma pipe to let the magma reservoir fill, another adamantine vein was found. I haven't hit the bottom of the first vein yet, I wonder how much blue stuff there is total. Already have 122 wafers from what I mined out of the first vein.

I'm so ready to finish this darn pump stack. It's taken years of game time. If the engine isn't enough to power it or doesn't work properly then I guess I'll need to resort to windmills. That'll take even more time to set up and link.

EDIT: So the roc got butchered. I got over 700 units of meat from it. That's, uh, quite a bit.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2014, 09:24:06 pm by Spehss _ »
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

MrsStick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35014 on: June 17, 2014, 10:26:41 pm »

Could you explain your pump stack setup? I haven't figured them out yet at all, and yours sounds fun. Do you need one pipe section for every z-level you're piping or are they just magic like mechanisms?
My hubby got me into DF...then abandoned his for MineCraft.
Husband has been possessed!
I'm sorry your husband had a strange mood and ended up making a useless trinket out of useless materials without gaining any experience in the process.

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #35015 on: June 17, 2014, 10:55:57 pm »

Could you explain your pump stack setup? I haven't figured them out yet at all, and yours sounds fun. Do you need one pipe section for every z-level you're piping or are they just magic like mechanisms?

Spoiler: pump stack stuff (click to show/hide)

-----

Fort news:

Got a real goblin siege finally. 60 goblins, 10 ogres, a full squad of goblin bowmen and two elite crossbow goblins along with a bunch of melee goblin mooks. Also a goblin spearmaster. Domas Helmedpeace the Matched Braid of Braids, he who's long hair is double braided, his beard is double braided, his mustache is double braided, he who forged the artifact adamantine bastard sword Certainturmoils, he who wields the sword now as a legendary swordmaster, that guy was first out on the battlefield. All by himself.

He charged the goblin cluster of archers and did some matrix dodging tricks, he avoided a hail of arrows as casually as another dwarf walks. Then he went into a martial trance and started hacking gobbos up. At one point he even cut off all of a goblin's limbs, one after another, turning it into a quadriplegic, before the goblin died of bloodloss. Hilarious.

The other militia are coming out now, but Domas Helmedpeace the Matched Braid of Braids and Stakkud Channelboats the Tin Confinement of Deeps the founding hammerlord are carrying the army right now. Each is in a trance and taking on half the besieging force by themselves. No injuries yet.
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

callisto8413

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35016 on: June 17, 2014, 11:35:21 pm »

Just had a massive siege.  Four groups of goblins, with four leaders, two of which were humans, and another group made up of Trolls.  I closed the drawbridge and watched them for a few minutes.  Half the goblins and the Trolls clustered around the entrance to kill my poor dogs.  The other half, coming from the south seemed to just wander, killing kittens at random.  So I have my Stone Cutters fire on the southern group from the dome while the Surface militia (the Grunts and the Spits) charged out and attacked the Goblins and Trolls at the Trade Depot.

It was bloody and action packed.  After softening up the southern goblins (I found a lot of dead goblins there, either killed by the archers or wounded by the bolts and the stone traps and later killed by the mop up crew) the Stone Cutters were sent outside to focus on Swordmasters and the greater threats.  I figured they could kill from a distance.  None of the goblins had bows, which made it a lot easier for my Dwarfs.  They made short work of the humans and special targets and I had them switch to help deal with the Trolls.

I lost at least two Dwarfs (one who took on three Trolls at once and did a good job of fighting them before death) and about a dozen were wounded (but all were recovered, treated in the hospitals, and returned to duty).  Only one soldier was dismissed from their position due to their wounds (one of the Stone Cutters) but being a bowyer she will likely be useful for the rest of her life.  The Duchess's husband, the Duke, once again proved his worth as a militia captain and the King's wife, the Queen also worked in the hospital, setting one soldier's broken bone(s).

Lots of loot to melt down but also now the map looks like a complete mess.  It will take years to dump all the bodies, sell off the goblin and Troll clothing, and once again the Trade Depot looks like a scene from a horror film.  And a few thieves tried to steal from the Depot during the siege.  One did get away with something but the others got stuck right in the middle of the battle.  Their silver daggers will add to my wealth.

Now most of the soldiers have kills under their belts (this was the first battle for a few of them) and also a few received their first wounds.  Many of my soldiers are now hardened, use to tragedy, and have scars.  Lovely.

Oh, and a few more captives for my training room.  Bwuahahahahaha!
« Last Edit: June 17, 2014, 11:44:06 pm by callisto8413 »
The most EVIL creature in Dwarf Fortress!

Kishmond

• Bay Watcher
  • What the pfargtl?
    • View Profile
    • My DF Stories blog.
« Reply #35017 on: June 17, 2014, 11:46:25 pm »

I just leave the corpses lying around. It adds to the atmosphere.

callisto8413

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35018 on: June 17, 2014, 11:59:14 pm »

I just leave the corpses lying around. It adds to the atmosphere.

Well, I like to keep the Fortress clean.  But you're right, there is some advantages to having a supply of corpses available.  Making bone bolts and bone armor for example. 

And I also want to see if I can sell them to the Elves or Humans.

Still, I feel bad about all those piles of rotting goblins outside the walls, blocking traffic, and messing up my clean lawn.  And the Trolls.  Oh, and the dead humans. 

I assume one day the siege will overwhelm my defenses.  After all, one can't really 'win' the game.   Wonder how long I can last?
The most EVIL creature in Dwarf Fortress!

Agent_Irons

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35019 on: June 18, 2014, 12:20:45 am »

Fort one: survived about a year, succumbed to a magma plumbing accident. erp.

Fort two, electric boogaloo. Much more successful, got a lovely little wall and moat setup going, but traders got stuck and triggered a civil war. double erp

Fort three, 'morningtaxes'. Lots of copper, sand, clay, and a volcano. Built preliminary workshops atop a mountain, next to the volcano itself, and the farms fifty z-levels down and maybe 55 tiles west. Time to figure out how minecarts work.

hjd_uk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35020 on: June 18, 2014, 06:14:11 am »

Another undead siege, also got a message ive not seen before "Intruders, drive them away!" or somesuch.

The cage and weapon traps worked well, driving many of the undead into the atom-smasher / drowning pit.

Not long after the kerfuffle of the walking-dead was coming to an end than a Goblin siege turned up, luckily only three squads, with trols, but my bridges have pits underneath to prevent building-destroyers. In the end , dealt with pretty well. drowned the goblins instead of atom-smashing them for the goblinite.

The only real problem i have right now is trying to find Flux. I have plenty of lignite/coal and terahydrate, i have a legendary armourer but ATM im buying all the steel gear from the Dwarven caravan (luckily i have masterful gold goblets to peddle) and scavenging steel from the dwarven caravan's -steel toy forge- collection. I just realised i ought to have asked the caravan for flux...

MrsStick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35021 on: June 18, 2014, 06:58:36 am »

Finally restarted my game after losing everything due to computer battery dying while playing last weekend.

Had a siege this time, which didn't happen before, but it was stupid. I killed 30-some with my traps and they left...meanwhile I'm picking up all their crap. Still working on getting the atom smasher up and running and disposing of all worn clothes. Tedious, but necessary based on how slow it is...
My hubby got me into DF...then abandoned his for MineCraft.
Husband has been possessed!
I'm sorry your husband had a strange mood and ended up making a useless trinket out of useless materials without gaining any experience in the process.

KingBacon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35022 on: June 18, 2014, 08:20:43 am »

Finally restarted my game after losing everything due to computer battery dying while playing last weekend.

Had a siege this time, which didn't happen before, but it was stupid. I killed 30-some with my traps and they left...meanwhile I'm picking up all their crap. Still working on getting the atom smasher up and running and disposing of all worn clothes. Tedious, but necessary based on how slow it is...

This is why I always rush magma or seek a high magma table. Cleaning up messes is a such a chore.
    e    e   e    U   U     
, , , . , , , , , , , ; , , , , , ; , , , , , 
. . . . . . . e U e   . . 0╬0 
###x##############
###x .  . ☼ ☼####£####
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

ImagoDeo

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_THINK:UNTHINKABLE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #35023 on: June 18, 2014, 10:05:40 am »

Some poor kobold thief just ran straight into my chief hammerdwarf. In the ensuing massacre, she bit him in the left foot and shook him around twice before punching his brains out.

She's a keeper.
What would it be like to live in a world that was copy/pasted? Would we even notice? If not, how many times have we switched celestial harddrives or whatever?

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #35024 on: June 18, 2014, 12:53:13 pm »

The pump stack works. Years of in game toil. Years of going without magma forges. Months of tinkering and rebuilding and waiting for cisterns to fill and dwarves to make all the tweaks. Finally. That satisfaction at finding the construction works is immense.

The perpetual motion water engine works, and provides just enough power to keep everything running. Provides a max of 1400 power, the entire system when linked requires 1290 power to keep it running constantly.

It can't run constantly while linked to the stack, through some issue the power cost becomes too much and the engine shuts down. Something to do with the water flow in the engine or something not being constant enough. As a result, the entire system can afford to run for a few brief irl seconds before shutting down. However, a lever put on a gearbox lets the engine switch between powering itself, which it has no problem with, and powering itself and the stack. With a dwarf constantly pulling the lever back and forth on repeat, the engine can keep a constant water flow to keep the engine at full power and keep the stack running.

The magma reservoir is filled at last. A new age in Hammerflickered has begun. The Age of "Now We Can Do Shit Other than Work on the Dang Pump Stack all the time."
Pages: 1 ... 2333 2334 [2335] 2336 2337 ... 3842