Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2332 2333 [2334] 2335 2336 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6100879 times)

Zaerosz

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼sperm whale leather thong☼
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #34995 on: June 17, 2014, 01:14:10 am »

My animal training area looks like a mushroom.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
That's.... actually a pretty cool quirk of the cave systems.
Koodos to another randomly generated image that actually resembles something real.
(Saying it's impressive might be too much, but it's still pretty cool)
To be fair it's only partially randomly generated. I just digv'd the cassiterite veins coming from the staircase, then dug out the sections between them, and then thought "what the hell" and dug out the top part of the chamber.
くコ:彡

FallenAngel

• Bay Watcher
  • !!x(oᴥo)x!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #34996 on: June 17, 2014, 07:22:29 am »

Migrants arrived at Slingsold for the first time. A weaver, a clothier, a glazer, and a lye maker.
Nobody immediately useful for our goals.
They will be given different jobs due to the fact we need other things.

Lich180

• Bay Watcher
  • Avatar by PlutoniumApe, "Urist McGuyFieri"
    • View Profile
« Reply #34997 on: June 17, 2014, 07:59:45 am »

First weaponsmith mood in ages, and all he grabs is the single steel bar we have from melting down random steel items. He likes steel, and has no weapon preferences, so hopefully I get something worthwhile out of this.

Zaerosz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34998 on: June 17, 2014, 08:47:01 am »

First weaponsmith mood in ages, and all he grabs is the single steel bar we have from melting down random steel items. He likes steel, and has no weapon preferences, so hopefully I get something worthwhile out of this.
To be fair, steel is pretty badass for any kind of weapon.

PDF urist master

• Bay Watcher
  • Born from cold iron
    • View Profile
« Reply #34999 on: June 17, 2014, 08:57:17 am »

the worst thing you could probably get is a trap component or a crossbow, but even those are still kinda badass.
We are not evil by choice, but evil by necessity.

Zaerosz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35000 on: June 17, 2014, 09:24:13 am »

the worst thing you could probably get is a trap component or a crossbow, but even those are still kinda badass.
And ludicrously expensive, in the case of trap components.

FallenAngel

• Bay Watcher
  • !!x(oᴥo)x!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #35001 on: June 17, 2014, 09:57:07 am »

≡Spiked Steel Balls≡ make absurdly epic trade goods.
Even copper ones are very valuable.

EDIT: Oh, and in my fort, for whatever reason, there appear to be no caverns besides the first one.
Exploration of the downward passage that was discovered is down to Z-Level 20 and still nothing but tiny caves.
EDIT2: Just as I unpaused, the 2nd cavern was discovered, at Z-level 13. Typed too soon.

Zaerosz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35002 on: June 17, 2014, 11:25:26 am »

Cleaning up after two consecutive sieges. A quarter of my fort is dead. It's honestly more than a little painful to watch them scrounging up every little chunk of the dead that they can find.

Lich180

• Bay Watcher
  • Avatar by PlutoniumApe, "Urist McGuyFieri"
    • View Profile
« Reply #35003 on: June 17, 2014, 01:11:52 pm »

I've been melting random trade goods and bolts down for steel, so it is still a precious resource.

And he made a steel battleaxe, worth 158400, with pictures of acacia in steel on it. One of the two founders, who I use to jumpstart my military, has been given it.

callisto8413

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35004 on: June 17, 2014, 02:09:49 pm »

I've been melting random trade goods and bolts down for steel, so it is still a precious resource.

And he made a steel battleaxe, worth 158400, with pictures of acacia in steel on it. One of the two founders, who I use to jumpstart my military, has been given it.

Steel Battle Axes, in the right hands, can turn a force of goblins into tiny pieces of bloody body parts all over the map.

Things in my Fortress have slowed down.  I did some winter clean up after making a magma trash chute, replacing the old atomic smasher and making that area into a training room for my militia to fight armed captives.  Also, I wounded my cougar by accident when expanding the grand hall upwards.  A stone fell on it.  D'oh.  So I placed the big cat in a pasture outside (well, inside the dome and outside the underground chambers anyway).

As I wait for the first children to become adults (the oldest is 8 so I believe I have 4 years to go - yuck) I have been watching and enjoying the Fortress like one enjoys watching an ant farm.  Outside of some job management on my part, and selecting where to dig and probe for ore, and nitpicking where statues should go, I just watch them live their daily soap opera lives.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Seems a Bone Carver, a Surface Class individual, is falling in love with a Miner, a Stone Class individual.  No doubt for the Miner's position and wealth within our Mountainhome.  Haulers are just the names I give to children once they are no longer babies - not sure how she got a uncle who is younger than her but I don't question this things.  I think it does happen in real life sometimes. 

PS oh, and the last caravan of Dwarfs brought me what I most wanted - LOTS of wood.  ^_^
« Last Edit: June 17, 2014, 04:35:40 pm by callisto8413 »
The most EVIL creature in Dwarf Fortress!

Staalo

• Bay Watcher
  • It's all for the betterment of Dwarfkind - honest!
    • View Profile
« Reply #35005 on: June 17, 2014, 04:38:50 pm »

Since Palacedeserts went somewhat stale after the arrival of Asmel the Goblin Queen of Dwarves, I decided to try a new fort in a new world full of megabeasts and other horrors.

Outpost Ngotolerib, "Ghostgorges" was founded in 230 on warm Joyous Wilds grassland area. On first glance the site seemed disappointing; what had looked like a waterfall on the map turned out to be just a deep canyon and prospectors reported only meager amounts of metal underground.

Then hydra Rorte was found sleeping in its lair across the river. This launched dwarves into feverish activity: emergency shelter was dug out, stores were moved underground, and hastily constructed workshops started building doors, beds and other necessities for soon to be sealed fort. Dwarves were preparing resignedly for a long stay in a tiny hole dug into soil layer.

At some point an idea was had: carpenter Atír Bandpicks would build a rickety wooden bridge over the river, while at the same time mason Lolor Swordtalked would fashion out a rough granite hatch cover. Then, while others waited inside the sealed shelter, one brave volunteer would sneak over to the lair's entrance and lock the monster safely within it's own cave.

The plan was a resounding success, and with the hydra safely contained the dwarves can now start building the real fortress of Ghostgorges.

So, now I have a hydra in storage, ready for all sorts of Fun applications. Any ideas how to put it in use?

Kasmko Taldequihu, Human Criminal corrupted zombie is visiting.
Mong Todsporro, Human Criminal death zombie is visiting.

Uhhh... welcome?

Kishmond

• Bay Watcher
  • What the pfargtl?
    • View Profile
    • My DF Stories blog.
« Reply #35006 on: June 17, 2014, 05:11:46 pm »

The only ores I have are galena and sphalerite. So I only have silver, lead, and whatever comes from sphalerite. My militia is equipped with silver warhammers and I enjoy making lots of silver crafts (the future throne room has over two dozen statues in it) but now I have over 500 bars of lead.

So, any ideas on what I can do with over 500 bars of lead?

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #35007 on: June 17, 2014, 05:17:41 pm »

You can make lead pots to store food and booze in. Lead minecarts, lead statues, stuff.
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

Koremu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35008 on: June 17, 2014, 05:27:25 pm »

The only ores I have are galena and sphalerite. So I only have silver, lead, and whatever comes from sphalerite. My militia is equipped with silver warhammers and I enjoy making lots of silver crafts (the future throne room has over two dozen statues in it) but now I have over 500 bars of lead.

Giant Spiked Ball Traps?
It's a dwarf.  Their natural habitat is "trapped on the wrong side of a wall".

Flinging children halfway across the map to land in magma is good, wholesome fun, but extramarital reproduction?  Why, that's just unseemly!

Kishmond

• Bay Watcher
  • What the pfargtl?
    • View Profile
    • My DF Stories blog.
« Reply #35009 on: June 17, 2014, 06:49:03 pm »

Lead furniture takes forever for dwarves to haul around and isn't worth much. Do spiked ball traps do more damage when they weigh more? The DF wiki is down so I'm crippled.
I heard that heavy floors do more damage when things fall on them, so maybe I'll make a lead spike pit trap.
Pages: 1 ... 2332 2333 [2334] 2335 2336 ... 3842