Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2253 2254 [2255] 2256 2257 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6096893 times)

Lord Snow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #33810 on: March 31, 2014, 05:20:17 am »

I'm just sitting here, watching over Dakost Nomalduthal as she engraves our provisional dining hall.

It appears dwarven history has been rather dull. One half of the engravings is general, the other is various humans being smashed by minotaurs and giants :)

Fluoman

• Bay Watcher
  • Anything the game allows.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33811 on: March 31, 2014, 05:49:47 am »

Fortress currently under undead siege STOP Food and drink stocks high STOP Many ressources available for moods STOP Morale high STOP No soldiers STOP Magma moat project on hold STOP Awaiting sufficient dwarfpower STOP STOP
"hey, look, my left hand! It's only bones now, gosh, has it been that long since that cave dragon bit it off?"

RtDs!

Knick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33812 on: March 31, 2014, 10:36:36 am »

Elven caravan came.  The elves made it inside, just as a goblin siege started.  I activated the military, manned the bastions with marksdwarves, and positioned the melee dwarves in the trade depot.  Once the elves were safe, I raised the bridge, and sealed off the fort.

Some notes:

1.  The goblins went after my animals in pasture outside the fortress.  This was good, in that it brought them within bolt range from my squads, but it was costly for the animals.

2.  The goblins still refuse to use my lovely trap-lined tunnel, preferring to ford the river where it is shallower.

3.  It took a while, but the marksdwarves alone were able to defeat the goblins.  The melee dwarves were sent out to finish off the survivors only.  It does not make sense to me to put the melee dwarves at risk.

4.  The animals may have run from the pastures when they were attacked.  Is that normal?

5.  One of my melee dwarves died before the start of the siege.  I have no idea how or why.  May have been wounded and died in hospital.

6.  There appeared to be a single dwarf that hung out in the front, during the siege.  Turned out to be a ghost.

So after all of that, I was looking forward to trading with the elves to restock my animals.  They had a cougar and a grizzly bear.  Unfortunately, I somehow offered them a wood product.  I have no idea what or where, so they left in a huff.  Regrettably, the goblins were all gone, so there was no chance to send them into the teeth of the siege.

In other news, I am starting the next level down from my great hall.  It cannot be as wide as I hoped, since it turns out the magma sea is too close. 

Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day.  Light a man on fire and you keep him warm for the rest of his life.
The great Dwarfen Philosopher Urist McConfused said it best:  "Light a kitten on fire and it will run screaming into the booze stockpile and catch the whole fort up.  I know, we tested it in twelve different forts and it always happened."

Aristion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33813 on: March 31, 2014, 02:18:10 pm »

4.  The animals may have run from the pastures when they were attacked.  Is that normal?

Yes it is.
I kept imagining this guy go "By Armok, not the dead roaches! Oh gods the hamsters oh the dwarfmanity!"
Devotes several hours a day making vampires an endangered species.

Aristion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33814 on: March 31, 2014, 02:31:39 pm »

Elf ambush happens. But it is all war animals- lions, (not war)horses, giraffes, elephants, tigers ad unicorns.
Also clowns take their time reaching the main staircase to my fort from below, the ones that appear when you open the circus up.

EDIT: There were arches riding the animals, just appeared after the animals did.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2014, 02:33:11 pm by Aristion »
I kept imagining this guy go "By Armok, not the dead roaches! Oh gods the hamsters oh the dwarfmanity!"

Hetairos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33815 on: March 31, 2014, 04:27:02 pm »

My legendary hammerdwarf lost his right arm to a hydra. Time to train a new one. The dwarf is currently working and has not gone to the hospital yet to rest.
Dwarves can still fight with one arm! He might not want to use a shield, though, so make sure his armour is up to scratch.

He'll use both a shield and a weapon, holding them in his remaining hand. A legendary warrior should have no trouble doing that effectively.

bennerman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33816 on: March 31, 2014, 04:37:48 pm »

When you use "reveal all" in dfhack, and then dig, and then unreveal, it hides everything you've dug in between. any idea how to fix that? A bunch of my dwarves are hidden in black as a result >.<

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33817 on: March 31, 2014, 04:40:26 pm »

When you use "reveal all" in dfhack, and then dig, and then unreveal, it hides everything you've dug in between. any idea how to fix that? A bunch of my dwarves are hidden in black as a result >.<

Try sending miners to dig out a few areas near where the darkness is.

bennerman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33818 on: March 31, 2014, 04:54:45 pm »

I can't, it's near an aquifer, but "revflood" fixed it. It also revealed all the ice. But thanks :)

Aristion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33819 on: March 31, 2014, 05:02:15 pm »

Messing around with DF Hack force event, I have basicly caused a stampede of war animals by the elves. 700+ things under the other including ~100 clowns, a bit more than a page of goblins and trolls and the elves keep coming at a very fast rate.

bennerman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33820 on: March 31, 2014, 05:08:51 pm »

Messing around with DF Hack force event, I have basicly caused a stampede of war animals by the elves. 700+ things under the other including ~100 clowns, a bit more than a page of goblins and trolls and the elves keep coming at a very fast rate.

GG man. GG.

KingBacon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33821 on: March 31, 2014, 05:55:03 pm »

In my glacier, since apparently the top two caverns lacked any flora, I dug into the third one.
And immediately found the great light metal, some magma, and a circus tent.
I AM BECOME DEATH.
EDIT: So many zombies...
...so many...

Been there, done that. I accidentally dug out from my main stair case into such a place. My forges were cut off from the surface fort. Every smith was forced to make weapons, every available dorf conscripted to hold back the hoard of 600. I lost 60 dorfs out of a population of 100. I love circus tents :/. I did leave all the corpses to rot for like 2 years.
    e    e   e    U   U     
, , , . , , , , , , , ; , , , , , ; , , , , , 
. . . . . . . e U e   . . 0╬0 
###x##############
###x .  . ☼ ☼####£####
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Aristion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33822 on: March 31, 2014, 07:19:19 pm »

GG man. GG.

I have only lost a marksdwarf, a recruit, and an axe lord(died to a rhino). Also the clowns are trapped as of right now. Don't know why the flew to the top of the tent when the base is opened up to my dwarfs

bennerman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33823 on: March 31, 2014, 09:53:13 pm »

Anyone know where in the raws I can find how much fertalizing increases the yield of plants? I think the guy who made Masterwork neglected to add that for tree farms, and I only have 3 spores (apparently saplings will go bad if you wait too long to process them at the sawmill, and thus, only 3 were still good by the time it was up)

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33824 on: March 31, 2014, 09:56:08 pm »

Anyone know where in the raws I can find how much fertalizing increases the yield of plants? I think the guy who made Masterwork neglected to add that for tree farms, and I only have 3 spores (apparently saplings will go bad if you wait too long to process them at the sawmill, and thus, only 3 were still good by the time it was up)

Fertilizing is a hardcoded thing, and cannot be changed in the raws.
Pages: 1 ... 2253 2254 [2255] 2256 2257 ... 3842