Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2252 2253 [2254] 2255 2256 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6096430 times)

klefenz

• Bay Watcher
  • ミク ミク にしてあげる
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #33795 on: March 30, 2014, 04:27:05 am »

Damn, had a fire imp crawl out of a hatch i used to throw gobbos into the magma sea, it killed a bunch of people and went back into its magma, that bastard.
Since i already had a shortage of food and booze my dorfs started tantruming and berzerkering.

Then i released the captive necromancer in the graveyard, however he had better ideas, he just ran back to his tower without raising anything.
Later i flooded the damn fort.

Alphabet Jones

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33796 on: March 30, 2014, 04:46:10 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Yeah, that looks like it should work fine. Goblins will either get caught in the cage traps or try to dodge the weapon traps and fall into the pit.

I tend to use captured goblins as live practice for the military or sometimes I just toss em off a cliff, depends on how I'm feeling at the time.

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33797 on: March 30, 2014, 06:36:18 am »

I've got a question, since I can't find the small questions thread.

The questions & answers thread is over on the Gameplay Questions board:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=101379.6075

Will this layout work?
WCWCWCWCWCWC

_ wall
W - weapon trap
C - Cage trap
x - a 7 z-levels channel with upright spikes on the end

Should work alright. If they have no untrapped square to stand on, they can't bypass the traps. Only trapavoiding units will get through unscathed. In theory, they could also get through by using up all cages and jamming all weapon traps, but a goblin siege's morale doesn't normally hold up well enough for six rows of weapon traps.

I go lightly on the cages: goblin squad leaders tend to charge ahead of their group, and when they get caught, the rest of the squad will stand around the cage trap like dunces, sometimes for weeks. Weapon traps are much more efficient at removing or repelling invaders, because each trap can welcome multiple visitors, while cage traps need reloading by (civilian) mechanics after every use.

The drop should be useful to force goblins to re-path when they dodge a weapon, but the upright spikes at the bottom may have unintended consequences. Spikes at the bottom of a drop don't seem to be useful as something for the victim to land on anyway, only to poke them (via linked lever or the like) after landing.

PABadger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33798 on: March 30, 2014, 08:03:10 am »

Tried to set up a dwarven reactor/wash bath in Copperhills. The reactor is attatched to a screw pump that pumps the water into a pipe, through a basin to wash dwarves as they come into the hospital, and then drops it out into my moat. Spent nearly an hour planning the whole thing, and then the moment of truth; I turned on the first pump.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Whoops. :o

This is the level above my reactor after my crack team of engineers waded into the water and broke the axles. And to cap it all, the water going into the wash basin was 7/7, so no dwarf would use my hospital anyway.

*Sigh.* Back to the drawing board.

Ragnarock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33799 on: March 30, 2014, 08:26:24 am »

I've got a question, since I can't find the small questions thread.

The questions & answers thread is over on the Gameplay Questions board:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=101379.6075

Will this layout work?
WCWCWCWCWCWC

_ wall
W - weapon trap
C - Cage trap
x - a 7 z-levels channel with upright spikes on the end

Should work alright. If they have no untrapped square to stand on, they can't bypass the traps. Only trapavoiding units will get through unscathed. In theory, they could also get through by using up all cages and jamming all weapon traps, but a goblin siege's morale doesn't normally hold up well enough for six rows of weapon traps.

I go lightly on the cages: goblin squad leaders tend to charge ahead of their group, and when they get caught, the rest of the squad will stand around the cage trap like dunces, sometimes for weeks. Weapon traps are much more efficient at removing or repelling invaders, because each trap can welcome multiple visitors, while cage traps need reloading by (civilian) mechanics after every use.

The drop should be useful to force goblins to re-path when they dodge a weapon, but the upright spikes at the bottom may have unintended consequences. Spikes at the bottom of a drop don't seem to be useful as something for the victim to land on anyway, only to poke them (via linked lever or the like) after landing.

Thank you kindly.

I separated upright spikes with a drawbridge, in case any intruders survive. I doubt they'll interrupt any dorf walking above.
Dabbling Overseer

Aristion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33800 on: March 30, 2014, 09:47:57 am »

My legendary hammerdwarf lost his right arm to a hydra. Time to train a new one. The dwarf is currently working and has not gone to the hospital yet to rest.
I kept imagining this guy go "By Armok, not the dead roaches! Oh gods the hamsters oh the dwarfmanity!"
Devotes several hours a day making vampires an endangered species.

Eidre

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33801 on: March 30, 2014, 02:39:44 pm »

Fairly successful embark so far, just breached the first layer of caverns and found, 3 z-levels down, the top of a magma pool (first time ever finding one of those)...

...except...

...volcano embark, so I've had surface level lava since the fortress was founded.  Thanks, but no thanks, worldgen!

FallenAngel

• Bay Watcher
  • !!x(oᴥo)x!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #33802 on: March 30, 2014, 03:14:19 pm »

In my glacier, since apparently the top two caverns lacked any flora, I dug into the third one.
And immediately found the great light metal, some magma, and a circus tent.
I AM BECOME DEATH.
EDIT: So many zombies...
...so many...

Thankfully I put the stairwell down to the caverns on a different stairwell than the fortress proper. The zombies will pay.
EDIT2: Whups, accidentally released the denizens of the underworld before the second spring. I thought they'd be slower. Is one person armed with two iron swords strong enough to hold them off?
EDIT3: OH CRAP ONE OF THE DEMONS STARTED MELTING THE GLACIER
ONLY THE PURE STONE AREAS ARE SAFE
EDIT4: By cleverly sealing the demons in their fortress, I can begin rebuilding with the small ragtag bunch of civilians who remain.  Orbsdistant will survive this early lapse of judgement. On the plus side, the adamantine weapon that I removed safely made it into the fortress proper.
EDIT5: Population of 17 reduced to 8. Survivors include:
Person with crippled arm trapped underground. Killed one fire ghost with her bare hands and a second with a spear dropped by underground tribesmen.
Four random miners.
The expedition leader.
And one soldier with a surprising kill history from before this fort began.

Is rebuilding this fortress from a near-end greater than that of Headshoots's near-end possible?
Especially in this life-hating glacier? Where giant clouds of doom float by from time to time?
Time to find out. Only a single workshop was lost, the mason's shop.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #33803 on: March 30, 2014, 07:44:38 pm »

My legendary hammerdwarf lost his right arm to a hydra. Time to train a new one. The dwarf is currently working and has not gone to the hospital yet to rest.
Dwarves can still fight with one arm! He might not want to use a shield, though, so make sure his armour is up to scratch.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Aristion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33804 on: March 30, 2014, 07:50:32 pm »

Dwarves can still fight with one arm! He might not want to use a shield, though, so make sure his armour is up to scratch.

It was. Bad luck I suppose. King has arrived and I didn't have a baron. I was going to sacrifice the baron to the demons who think that flying to the highest part of the candy spire is the best way to get to my fort.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2014, 07:52:59 pm by Aristion »
I kept imagining this guy go "By Armok, not the dead roaches! Oh gods the hamsters oh the dwarfmanity!"

Aristion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33805 on: March 30, 2014, 08:01:21 pm »

How hard is it to kill a slate monster?

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33806 on: March 30, 2014, 08:04:06 pm »

How hard is it to kill a slate monster?

It will be probably be difficult, since it cannot bleed out and has no brain, so it can only die via bisection or beheading.

PDF urist master

• Bay Watcher
  • Born from cold iron
    • View Profile
« Reply #33807 on: March 30, 2014, 08:18:37 pm »

I think slate isn't magma safe, so it can be melted. A cave in works too.
We are not evil by choice, but evil by necessity.

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33808 on: March 30, 2014, 08:23:21 pm »

Even demons made of snow are magma immune. Obsidianizing always works though.

KingBacon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33809 on: March 31, 2014, 12:28:31 am »

Lost three sword dorfs to a forgotten beastie. It's fumes made dorfs spontaneously hemorrhage. Still don't know how it got into the mining tunnels, can't find a gap...

I also got an artifact platinum splint (the same dorf also loved statues so I am a tad let down.) I pity anyone who is forced to use it next hospital visit. 
    e    e   e    U   U     
, , , . , , , , , , , ; , , , , , ; , , , , , 
. . . . . . . e U e   . . 0╬0 
###x##############
###x .  . ☼ ☼####£####
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Pages: 1 ... 2252 2253 [2254] 2255 2256 ... 3842