Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2251 2252 [2253] 2254 2255 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6096493 times)

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #33780 on: March 29, 2014, 04:28:13 pm »

Playing Losing is !!Magic!!.

Built a cistern for my wells with an intake from a stream and a drain for maintenance access.
After building floodgates on both sides and linking them to levers I open up the floodgates at the intake and let miners mine out the last wall between the river and the intake. Water starts flowing in and because the distance between river and cistern is so big it takes a while.
Suddenly I see one of my unicorns down in the cistern. I look what it's doing:
"Smelt Galena ore"
Yeah, right. The floodgates at the intake are closed (the water still hasn't reached the point where they are) and the floodgate at the drain is opened to allow the unicorn to exit (maintenance access is where the drain is) so the unicorn can get out. After it left I, once again, let the two switches be flipped and the water starts flowing throught the floodgates at the intake.
After a while I see a dog in the cistern. Once again, two switches are flipped, but the dog doesn't move. First I decide that I really don't want to bother anymore and switch them once again, but then I decide that this would just cause unnecessary bad thoughts in the owner, so I open up the exit and close the intake. The dog finally decides to leave.
I close the exit and open the intake again and watch the water flowing in further. Suddenly I see there's a pegasus in there, so I repeat the whole procedure.

Three tries to get everyone out of that reservoir...
You should've just settled with drowning the dog. Nothing a few statues can't fix.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

doublestrafe

• Bay Watcher
  • [PONY_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #33781 on: March 29, 2014, 04:39:39 pm »

Three tries to get everyone out of that reservoir...
You should've just settled with drowning the dog. Nothing a few statues can't fix.

Not a good idea. Reservoir dogs never end well for anybody.

Antsan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33782 on: March 29, 2014, 04:52:26 pm »

Besides it probably would be very unhygienic. Rotting corpses in the drinking water might not fare so well.
Well, I don't know whether there is any problem with them in DF (I don't think so but there should be), but pretending is half the game, isn't it?
Taste my Paci-Fist

Antsan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33783 on: March 29, 2014, 05:06:49 pm »

i think I've got a big problem: Those wells seem to be pegasus killers. For some reason there now where two pegasus foals in the cistern, months after there has been any access to it. I guess they're entering through the wells - especially because after I opened the exit one flew out through a well. I foresee this ending in tragedy.
Taste my Paci-Fist

Ragnarock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33784 on: March 29, 2014, 05:31:10 pm »

Just had the biggest siege ever - in one minute, 5 separate groups came.

Serpentfolk siege
Two goblin sieges
Two necromancer sieges

I mean... give me a break... barely defended the fortress, lost 14 militiamen in the process, 8 dorfs are severely wounded.
Dabbling Overseer

doublestrafe

• Bay Watcher
  • [PONY_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #33785 on: March 29, 2014, 05:33:52 pm »

i think I've got a big problem: Those wells seem to be pegasus killers. For some reason there now where two pegasus foals in the cistern, months after there has been any access to it. I guess they're entering through the wells - especially because after I opened the exit one flew out through a well. I foresee this ending in tragedy.
Probably the flier pathing bug, which always hits the pegasi hard. Make sure than anywhere you can stand has a path to it, such as stairs or ramps, or fliers will fly there and then be unable to find a way to get out.

Antsan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33786 on: March 29, 2014, 05:49:30 pm »

Probably the flier pathing bug, which always hits the pegasi hard. Make sure than anywhere you can stand has a path to it, such as stairs or ramps, or fliers will fly there and then be unable to find a way to get out.
Yeah, already feared that. Going to have to build a direct stairwell into the cistern.

While moving crafts to the depot for trading I normally look at all the descriptions of status depicting something with a name. Just now I learned that Ertal Masterhoneys turned into a violent ghost in my village in 55. It is winter 56 now.
I also learned my princess is named "Náshas Suitorwhims". Yay for corruption?
Taste my Paci-Fist

MrsStick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33787 on: March 29, 2014, 07:14:14 pm »

Ownrag is up to 111 dwarves now with several rounds of migrants coming in. I've finally figured out how to equip my military and force them to train since they'd decided not to recently. The result is several bad thoughts on the military. I wait until they're down to orange in therapist before removing from the squad, just in case they decide they like serving after doing it for a bit. Was able to take one from orange to tan by giving her a pet. Score!

Haven't had any kids lately, and no marriages but I don't really care at this point. We still haven't breached the caverns (soon, once our military's better trained). I've been having issues with the military dropping their armor as soon as they're off duty, which makes it hard for me to figure out what I can and can't melt (e.g. what's claimed and what's not). Stupid dorfs.

Our dining room is getting ridiculous. I haven't done any waterfalls, but it's masterly engraved with masterpiece tables/chairs and gem windows set into both the wall to the hallway and in spaces between tables/chairs. It's like a party in itself!

Finally, I'm getting annoyed with waiting for people to store goblinite and dead caravan items in stockpiles. It's getting rather annoying - even those without item hauling enabled seem to be doing it, and more people are doing that than anyone else. I've figured out how to stop it by assigning my legendaries to an internal burrow...they can't leave to do anything else. But still...aargh.
My hubby got me into DF...then abandoned his for MineCraft.
Husband has been possessed!
I'm sorry your husband had a strange mood and ended up making a useless trinket out of useless materials without gaining any experience in the process.

FallenAngel

• Bay Watcher
  • !!x(oᴥo)x!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #33788 on: March 29, 2014, 08:39:04 pm »

Started new fort in glacier.
Quickly butchered the two pack animals since it's a Terrifying biome, but due to the lack of pretty much all life it's surprisingly safe except for the doom clouds and stuff.

klefenz

• Bay Watcher
  • ミク ミク にしてあげる
    • View Profile
« Reply #33789 on: March 29, 2014, 09:44:43 pm »

Embarked at the foot of a mountain, no trees here. Went straigt to the deep, building magma forges and making copper furniture.

Got an undead siege. Atom smashed them and caged one of the necromancer for future use.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

the1337doofus

• Bay Watcher
  • Grand Master Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #33790 on: March 29, 2014, 09:51:41 pm »

Another forgotten beast, another township. Today I decided to be a sadist and embark my ponies in a terrifying biome. Everything started exactly as one would expect:
Blood, dismemberment, and the undead. Both the woodcutters are dead, the miner is cowering in a tiny hole, the farmers are being chased around by the woodcutters, and the soldiers are busy harassing the undead on the other side of the map. What else could possibly go wrong?
Quote from: /k/
Multiple babies means that the force is distributed per baby, so less force total per baby.
burning dwarves is a sign of productivity

klefenz

• Bay Watcher
  • ミク ミク にしてあげる
    • View Profile
« Reply #33791 on: March 29, 2014, 10:27:05 pm »

Another forgotten beast, another township. Today I decided to be a sadist and embark my ponies in a terrifying biome. Everything started exactly as one would expect:
Blood, dismemberment, and the undead. Both the woodcutters are dead, the miner is cowering in a tiny hole, the farmers are being chased around by the woodcutters, and the soldiers are busy harassing the undead on the other side of the map. What else could possibly go wrong?

You could get clouds

the1337doofus

• Bay Watcher
  • Grand Master Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #33792 on: March 29, 2014, 10:32:12 pm »

You could get clouds

Already did. Bruising and vomiting.
Quote from: /k/
Multiple babies means that the force is distributed per baby, so less force total per baby.
burning dwarves is a sign of productivity

Alphabet Jones

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33793 on: March 30, 2014, 03:49:25 am »

Well the king just showed up out of nowhere. Went from city to mountainhome, no barons, dukes or counts in between.

I was not at all prepared for this; the king is going to have to deal with having crappier rooms than the average peasant for a little while.

Ragnarock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33794 on: March 30, 2014, 04:16:35 am »

I've got a question, since I can't find the small questions thread.

Will this layout work?
WCWCWCWCWCWC

_ wall
W - weapon trap
C - Cage trap
x - a 7 z-levels channel with upright spikes on the end

This is my first time using traps and I'm just wondering if the enemies will be able to walk over the traps, and if they'll work, cuz there's no walking space in between the pit and the traps.

Second question - what to do with caged gobbos?
Dabbling Overseer
Pages: 1 ... 2251 2252 [2253] 2254 2255 ... 3842