Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2254 2255 [2256] 2257 2258 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6096629 times)

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #33825 on: March 31, 2014, 10:05:12 pm »

Paintarmours has achieved a new record height for ballistically launched minecarts: 45 zlevels in a single jump. Actually, we ran out of horizontal space, it's not said this was the actual apex height.

For reference, the greatest height reachable by a cart coming from the longest possible line of impulse ramps is 26z (may be one more or less, i don't have it memorised). So how did we get a cart to fly higher than a cart travelling at terminal velocity, you ask?

By breaking the speed limit 8)

New research shows that in some cases, momentum in minecart collisions is properly conserved, in such a way that speed increases can result. The simple application is to generate derail-capable minecarts applying only rollers and collisions, without using ramps.

But of course i had my sights set on the prize: what'd happen if i sent two carts down an insanely long ramp drop before colliding them? Right enough, with different-weight carts (oak vs. willow, weight ratio ~1,85:1) a pushed lighter cart can gain increased speed (185% of the ~250k speed the oak cart brought to the party, so something between 450k and 500k probably).

The willow cart shot away five tiles from the collision point in a single step, then passed over the launch ramp and went up. And up. And up. Around z+25, the ascent started slowing down from 2z per step to 1z per step. The cart smashed into the embark tile border at z+45 and had not yet started descending.

Practical uses? None, of course. A dwarf riding any of the carts would dismount and blow apart. Cargo would be released from both carts at the moment of collision. It's just a stupid dwarf trick to create supercharged carts that zip around at speeds in excess of terminal velocity.

bennerman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33826 on: March 31, 2014, 10:08:00 pm »

Anyone know where in the raws I can find how much fertalizing increases the yield of plants? I think the guy who made Masterwork neglected to add that for tree farms, and I only have 3 spores (apparently saplings will go bad if you wait too long to process them at the sawmill, and thus, only 3 were still good by the time it was up)

Fertilizing is a hardcoded thing, and cannot be changed in the raws.

CRAP

bennerman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33827 on: March 31, 2014, 10:57:52 pm »

Anyone got any ideas for how to farm ice from an aquifer in a glacier world?

Do bridges stop water from freezing? Will it then freeze when you retract it, and thus expose it to the outside?

Edit: OH MY GOD, Worst caravan ever. WHY?!

Edit 2: And they left. x.x
« Last Edit: March 31, 2014, 11:23:12 pm by bennerman »

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #33828 on: March 31, 2014, 11:20:51 pm »

Swordfaces, on the southern (northern?) glaciers has so much iron and flux. It's magical. My smelters are going around the clock producing iron and steel (coke is a little awkward to get because there's no coal or trees). Common exports include sets of masterwork steel armour, bins full of steel goblets, steel swords, steel hammers, and steel serrated discs.
I've also sent an substantial offering to the Mountainhomes. Now I just have to wait and hope that the king likes steel.  8)
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

bennerman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33829 on: March 31, 2014, 11:24:09 pm »

Swordfaces, on the southern (northern?) glaciers has so much iron and flux. It's magical. My smelters are going around the clock producing iron and steel (coke is a little awkward to get because there's no coal or trees). Common exports include sets of masterwork steel armour, bins full of steel goblets, steel swords, steel hammers, and steel serrated discs.
I've also sent an substantial offering to the Mountainhomes. Now I just have to wait and hope that the king likes steel.  8)

WELL JESUS! WHY DON'T YOU JUST MARRY YOUR STEEL AND IRON?!

KingBacon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33830 on: March 31, 2014, 11:35:27 pm »

So apparently there is a forgotten beast extract going around which is causing my dorfs to spontaneously bleed to death. How can I solve this without cheating....
Lost a mayor and three random dorfs to it. Don't know how it's spreading given I killed the beast like 2 years back.
    e    e   e    U   U     
, , , . , , , , , , , ; , , , , , ; , , , , , 
. . . . . . . e U e   . . 0╬0 
###x##############
###x .  . ☼ ☼####£####
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Aristion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33831 on: March 31, 2014, 11:44:11 pm »

So apparently there is a forgotten beast extract going around which is causing my dorfs to spontaneously bleed to death. How can I solve this without cheating....
Lost a mayor and three random dorfs to it. Don't know how it's spreading given I killed the beast like 2 years back.

It is a curse from the monster.
I kept imagining this guy go "By Armok, not the dead roaches! Oh gods the hamsters oh the dwarfmanity!"
Devotes several hours a day making vampires an endangered species.

bennerman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33832 on: March 31, 2014, 11:48:02 pm »

Ok, when someone builds an artifact GYPSUM PLASTER COFFIN, it's time to call it quits. Forcing seiges and megabeasts with DFhack

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #33833 on: March 31, 2014, 11:53:50 pm »

WELL JESUS! WHY DON'T YOU JUST MARRY YOUR STEEL AND IRON?!
I would, but it's being a bit... cold.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Bludulukus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33834 on: April 01, 2014, 01:27:25 am »

Accidentally opened the way for 3 FB's to crawl all the way up the 3rd cavern to the fort, luckily one was made of mud and another of water meaning they were quickly dispatched. The scaly giant snail took more punishment before getting curbstomped.

klefenz

• Bay Watcher
  • ミク ミク にしてあげる
    • View Profile
« Reply #33835 on: April 01, 2014, 04:24:39 am »

Everything was going smoothly until a god damn miner failed a mood because he didnt have bones for his artifact and went berserk.
He killed a bunch of people with his pickaxe. It caused a conmotion in the fort. Then another miner went berserk with similar results.
Then a bunch of other dwarves went berserk as well.
Lets see how long does this last...

fragfish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33836 on: April 01, 2014, 09:18:19 am »

A miner and three puppies recently died (bled to death) from some forgotten beast toxic vapour syndrome I had a few years back (I lucked out and the beast was a blob of water, thus it "only" took four markdwarves with it who decided to charge it with their crossbows). I have a bathtub on the way to the caverns, no idea how the syndrome got past it. Time will tell if there are more cases. So you're not alone, Wealthchannels is in a similar position.

In other news, another miner died by deciding to stand on the tile he channeled instead of next to it; he was creating a pipe to the magma sea for some obsidian insulating so I can get to more adamantium.

Goblins haven't been learning, their last two sieges didn't even succeed in bruising a single dwarf while leaving a trail of dead from my arena to the map edge. I hope they bring some more bodies soon, still lacking honour names on a lot of dwarves.

Oh, and I successfully started operating a 150 z-level ore rail from the mines to the magma smelters. The last rail I tried to built (a booze rail from the stills to the meeting hall) resulted in one dead miner, who just sat on a minecart half-full of booze and dehydrated, while my first simply never got past 0% V. For my next fort, I have to check how to reduce the total amount of z-levels; even my pump stack for water from the first caverns spans 40 z-levels.

bennerman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33837 on: April 01, 2014, 10:01:39 am »

Woke up with renewed vigour this morning. Going to load a semi-recent save of my glacier fort and keep trying. Neither this local, nor my civilization has iron, though. My civ has rusty iron, but I'll need a crucible to turn it into steel :(

KingBacon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33838 on: April 01, 2014, 10:03:46 am »

Holly crap! So the syndrome causes the dorf to EXPLODE, resulting in PILES of blood in the circle around the corpse.

So this is how it ends. Gotta find the source of this.
GAAAAH IT'S ALL OVER THE FORT ENTRANCE!!!!

Current Theories:

1) CATS!!! All the cats are dead and I found one that had gone boom. Suggesting cats were toying around in the burial chambers where there is much contamination
2) Burial of Corpses
3) Soldiers grabbing contaminated weapons/clothing.....
« Last Edit: April 01, 2014, 10:16:05 am by KingBacon »
    e    e   e    U   U     
, , , . , , , , , , , ; , , , , , ; , , , , , 
. . . . . . . e U e   . . 0╬0 
###x##############
###x .  . ☼ ☼####£####
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Fluoman

• Bay Watcher
  • Anything the game allows.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33839 on: April 01, 2014, 10:06:51 am »

This is a glorious syndrome.
"hey, look, my left hand! It's only bones now, gosh, has it been that long since that cave dragon bit it off?"

RtDs!
Pages: 1 ... 2254 2255 [2256] 2257 2258 ... 3842