Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2094 2095 [2096] 2097 2098 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6094367 times)

PDF urist master

• Bay Watcher
  • Born from cold iron
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #31425 on: November 04, 2013, 08:45:53 pm »

been building a vertical tower for my military so i can train without worrying about cave adaptation.

1st multi level tower i've built, so there's still a lot of kinks.

i wonder what would happen if cave adaptation affected military combat?

like dwarves who have adapted would get fighting penalties when fighting outside and above ground invaders would get penalties fighting underground.

instead of the goblin siege i wanted, a kobold ambush happened. right in front of the dwarven caravan. I only saw one squad and it got destroyed by the guards. couldn't even land a single hit. A kobold got kicked in the head by a horse. he did not survive the encounter.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2013, 08:55:10 pm by PDF urist master »
We are not evil by choice, but evil by necessity.

Skuggen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31426 on: November 05, 2013, 05:25:06 am »

I've segregated my population based on religion; the three gods that between them cover the first 7 are the 'correct' gods. Those who worship them are given the best quarters with golden furniture. The rest are nicknamed "Faithless" and get to sleep in dirt dormitories. Can personalities change? And if so, can the change be influenced by me sticking up statues of the three gods? :)

I''m also in the process of filling a nice lava moat (a natural formation from a frozen river canyon), but I'm having a slight problem:
A goblin siege was led by a demon. When his steed stepped on a trap he fell into the moat, but he can't currently get out because the moat is still filling and the current holds him back (at least I hope that's the cause).
The marksdwarves went to the stormtrooper marksmanship academy, and no one can get anything done outside because they see him and freak out, while the rest of the siege ran off long ago.

Fen

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretly A Kobold Werebull
    • View Profile
« Reply #31427 on: November 05, 2013, 09:42:19 am »

currently running a low-population fortress (at time of writing, a mere 20 dwarfs.) We just got hit hard by a double ambush of goblins which wiped out 6 military dwarfs, including the militia commander who was working her way up to becoming a bit of a badass. Her husband had also died in military service several months ago to an earlier attack from elves and their child (the only one in the whole fort) went with her. Fortunately the growing Yak herd survived to a degree. I feel like I ought to make them an enclosure to keep them safe, but they're down the hill from the fort and it seems like it'd be quite a hassle.

Having so few dwarfs is very strange, all the deaths seem meaningful and the fortress doesn't need to grow very much, so my efforts are focused on more baseline things. I've got the closest thing to a decent hospital I've ever had, my military is small but relatively effective, and trading has been going decently well, There's decent sized bedrooms for everyone that I'm in the process of furnishing and our food and drink supplies are decently varied. The dwarfs seem happy, but I feel like the fort is always at risk of being invaded by more than it can possibly handle.

Edit; A war party of 48 bear and giant weasel riding elves has approached the fortress. They must have been waiting in the trees for the goblins to weaken our defenses. The fortress is now on lockdown and nobody is allowed outside until the elves either go away or starve to death. I only hope they will spare the Yaks before passing.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2013, 09:49:19 am by Fen »
This space for rent

Finn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31428 on: November 05, 2013, 11:00:57 am »

Having so few dwarfs is very strange, all the deaths seem meaningful and the fortress doesn't need to grow very much, so my efforts are focused on more baseline things. I've got the closest thing to a decent hospital I've ever had, my military is small but relatively effective, and trading has been going decently well, There's decent sized bedrooms for everyone that I'm in the process of furnishing and our food and drink supplies are decently varied. The dwarfs seem happy, but I feel like the fort is always at risk of being invaded by more than it can possibly handle.

My favorite way to play DF is to savescum my original seven, sit and watch them eat the provisions in the wagon until two form a relationship, then restore back to the beginning and kill off the other 5.   After that I use a tool once a year to prevent migrations and I play with one couple and their eventual children.   You can learn a lot about how DF functions because it's very easy to pay attention to all details, there is less chaos.
I thought 'complained about the draft lately' meant they didn't have a door to their room.

boddha

• Bay Watcher
  • [ALCOHOL_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
    • tumblr
« Reply #31429 on: November 05, 2013, 12:14:18 pm »

Sending dwarves into the underground caverns without a military...
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: November 05, 2013, 12:20:42 pm by boddha »

Grey Goo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • The Metallic
« Reply #31430 on: November 05, 2013, 02:27:04 pm »

Found adamantine below my temple. After, hm, doing some check validated it be just right veil. Planning create hole going very straight into hell. Hole right into hell in my temple. In future invaders are going have extra fun...

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31431 on: November 05, 2013, 08:15:49 pm »

I cheated a screwed-up mooder back to sanity (reverted to beginning of year) - i'd totally failed to keep track of him while i was busy overseeing the clothesmaking effort and he went melancholy, probably for lack of unforbidden bones. It was all about the loss of a useful dwarf really - it was an engraving mood, and a possession, too. I had already lost two dwarfs recently to a hunting mishap; it probably wasn't such a bright idea to let the only married female dwarf in the entire fort act as sole hunter on a savage embark. She kept going quite a while, but eventually, the wildlife caught up with her, in the shape of an angry giant hyena. And since her youngest child was only four months old, the second death was inevitable.

I finally, at long last, managed to purge the infestation of gigantic tortoises from the map: they just squat down and become completely invulnerable when attacked. The annoying thing is that some of the more aggressive tame animals, notably dogs, will sit on top of the tortoise and attack it for years on end. I eventually built cage traps all around the beasts, then ordered the dog slaughtered (and revoked the order after the dog got moved). The tortoise would then stumble into one of the traps and could be tamed and butchered. I also used them to kick-start my citizen militia, they're all adequate to skilled with crossbows now.

ShadowHammer

• Bay Watcher
  • God is love.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31432 on: November 05, 2013, 10:29:56 pm »

I cheated a screwed-up mooder back to sanity (reverted to beginning of year) - i'd totally failed to keep track of him while i was busy overseeing the clothesmaking effort and he went melancholy, probably for lack of unforbidden bones. It was all about the loss of a useful dwarf really - it was an engraving mood, and a possession, too. I had already lost two dwarfs recently to a hunting mishap; it probably wasn't such a bright idea to let the only married female dwarf in the entire fort act as sole hunter on a savage embark. She kept going quite a while, but eventually, the wildlife caught up with her, in the shape of an angry giant hyena. And since her youngest child was only four months old, the second death was inevitable.

I finally, at long last, managed to purge the infestation of gigantic tortoises from the map: they just squat down and become completely invulnerable when attacked. The annoying thing is that some of the more aggressive tame animals, notably dogs, will sit on top of the tortoise and attack it for years on end. I eventually built cage traps all around the beasts, then ordered the dog slaughtered (and revoked the order after the dog got moved). The tortoise would then stumble into one of the traps and could be tamed and butchered. I also used them to kick-start my citizen militia, they're all adequate to skilled with crossbows now.
You can also use them to get ALL the wrestling levels; recruits will just smack them around without actually doing any damage, and when they start complaining, you can just relieve them from duty and they run away.

Viking

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31433 on: November 05, 2013, 10:31:56 pm »

So after a few unfortunate incidents involving werewolves, goblins and the resulting downward spiral my fortress population has been halved. I now have 14 adults and 21 children which is quite like a V6 engine firing with 1 cylinder. On the brightside they have mostly calmed down.

Skuggen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31434 on: November 06, 2013, 01:37:14 am »

I managed to coax the demon out of the moat (though I didn't notice until he was wandering the halls). Luckily he was for some reason only using his web attack, so the only injuries sustained during the long while it took to kill him were some crushed bones from counterstrike pushes.

Also, the elven diplomat has made one short joke too many, so now I'm investigating how much time it'll take to cut down every tree on the map (also making elf totems).

KingBacon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31435 on: November 06, 2013, 11:29:25 am »

Year 302, 15th of Granite

Greetings from Tinfingers Doren,

You were right about moving to Tinfingers. It is nothing but an obsidian waste, no foliage as far as the eye can see. I know why cousin Kadol says he led The Red Hand to this place, but I don't think obsidian is the only reason they are here. I overheard him discussing, well actually arguing, something about mining with the chief architect. Something about a deep structure made of an alien stone. I have to ask the wife about this one, she's been to the deep mines of late.

Oh brother, lest I forget, I smuggled out an obsidian knife with the last caravan. You'll know where to look, same place as always. Be careful though, that stuff is insanely sharp. It can cleave a rocknut in two.

Your dearest brother,
Id
    e    e   e    U   U     
, , , . , , , , , , , ; , , , , , ; , , , , , 
. . . . . . . e U e   . . 0╬0 
###x##############
###x .  . ☼ ☼####£####
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31436 on: November 06, 2013, 11:45:42 am »

1200 mechanisms and counting. I think i should be able to finish the project with another ~500. The rest are mainly easy linkage jobs (there should be a gearbox taking input from 15 pressure plates in there; yay?), although i'll also need to balance the loads in fourteen circuits.

In short: multiplication is terrible. I mean, really, does it take ~2000 transistors to build a minimal multiplicator in electronics (multiplying two eight-bit numbers), or do they cheat their way around it by saving partial results?

The first child grew up. He immigrated from another fort, so he's a legendary grower, very useful. The main carpenter became legendary, thanks to an order for 80 minecarts.

Lich180

• Bay Watcher
  • Avatar by PlutoniumApe, "Urist McGuyFieri"
    • View Profile
« Reply #31437 on: November 06, 2013, 08:29:28 pm »

Took a little break from DF, suffered from a lack of creativity.

Looked through my save files, found an old one for a fort in the last throes of a massive tantrum spiral that resulted in 98% of the population dying (sparked by a child getting his skull crushed by a sock in the Coinstar danger room).

5 dwarves are alive, a speardwarf who has had the duty of killing many, many berserking dwarves and is pretty well hardened, the mayor who is upset about being yelled at but thrilled because half the fortress belongs to him, a mason and a farmer who are cranking out slabs and engraving them as fast as they can, and a lone kid wandering around whose parents died in the massive melee.

Gonna see how far I can take these guys, just managed to get the last murderous ghost put to rest, so we will see.

PDF urist master

• Bay Watcher
  • Born from cold iron
    • View Profile
« Reply #31438 on: November 06, 2013, 08:53:36 pm »

I'm still baffled as to how a kid got his skull crushed by a sock.
We are not evil by choice, but evil by necessity.

Lich180

• Bay Watcher
  • Avatar by PlutoniumApe, "Urist McGuyFieri"
    • View Profile
« Reply #31439 on: November 06, 2013, 09:00:06 pm »

The Coinstar danger room consists of a pile of coins on a retracting drawbridge, when the bridge retracts it flings the coins (and everything else) around, giving some really good armor user skills; some kid went in after his parents while another military member decided his socks no longer needed to be worn and dropped them, causing the constantly retracting bridge to fling the sock around at terminal velocity and impacting the kid in the head.

Queue half the fort going melancholy, a quarter berserk and the rest dying to thrown objects, corpses, etc. Thankfully only a few non-essential levers were damaged, leaving the magma-trade depot open for business... if the undead siege ever gets bored and leaves.

EDIT: Well, this is nice. A baby has been born to the remaining couple in the fortress. Sucks that the baby has to be exposed to the piles of rotting corpses that still litter the ground, but that's the way things are here.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2013, 09:09:18 pm by Lich180 »
Pages: 1 ... 2094 2095 [2096] 2097 2098 ... 3842