Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2092 2093 [2094] 2095 2096 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6094368 times)

11sparky11

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #31395 on: October 30, 2013, 04:11:04 pm »

Only if they have been taken as a pet. Can they even be taken as a pet? Or any kind of work or war animal.
HugoLuman: What got in?
MrSparky: The river.

poisoned_salami

• Bay Watcher
  • dabbling RAWsmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #31396 on: October 30, 2013, 06:00:32 pm »

RenownSpear has survived it's first siege...
Specifically, an undead siege. One that just so happened to coincide with the human caravan's arrival.
Fortunately, the siege soon came under attack by a goblin ambush party, and the resulting chaos gave us time to lower the drawbridge and send the militia out to clean up the stragglers.
The caravan had one of it's wagons destroyed by a zombie, and it's goods later pilfered by dwarves. I'm currently working on improving the fortress defense, should the humans get angry...
Current Fortress: Renownspear

PainRack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31397 on: November 01, 2013, 06:38:11 am »

Something........ epic just happened in my fort.

I created a necromancer live training facillity in my fort, one designed to train my new militia in the art of shooting the enemy face. After many many months of work, I finally set it in motion, releasing a caged goblin which went through a 'torture' passage before wandering into the open......

She crawled through the spear and the maul into the wide open passageway and promptly fainted in a pile of her own vomit..... And then, she woke up. Like an angry daemon of old, she refused to die. My rangers had finally arrived as I changed the orders to station but she blocked EVERY. SINGLE. SHOT. Her crawl through the torture chamber had made her wise to the ways of the dwarves and I exhausted my entire squad ammunition supply.............

Hmmm, no biggie said the dwarf captain. We'll send for more dakka.

But no. In spite, she went BACK into the torture chamber, blocked every single attack the trap threw at her and then dodged into the moat that was supposed to act as a bolt recovery pit...... And then I realised my danger. I haven't removed the ramps leading into the pit. They were all safely on my side of the area afterall, and no goblin was supposed to have survived that long, even as a revenant.

In a panic, I sent every single dwarf in my army swarming at her, 26 dwarves in all. They arrived in dribs and drabs, but my elite marksdwarf played hide and seek with her, tanking the puny hits her fractured arm threw at her. Yes, 2 other dwarves now rolled on the floor with broken feet, but help was coming. Help WAS coming.......

It took 10 dwarves combined effort to wear her down. Mostly noob soldiers from the Fortress Guard. And my hospital is now fully of resting dwarves who are now nursing major organ injuries..........

well, the elite marksdwarf is definitely going to get an upgrade. A new bedroom, a palace!

But I have no idea what to do with the goblin corpse now lying deep in the caverns of my fort. Should I reanimate it, to serve as a reminder of her danger, or should I respect her valour and lay her to rest, entombing her inside my fort itself?

Oh. And while the goblin was rampaging through my fort, a cyclops showed up and decided to commit hara-kiri on my weapons trap.... Its corpse is now stuck in it.

Well, I guess he was trying to rescue his sister.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2013, 07:22:28 am by PainRack »

mounf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31398 on: November 01, 2013, 08:25:16 am »

I'd vote for entombing. In a tomb suitable for a worthy enemy. Possibly with a magma flood or cave in lever to ensure she stays down this time....

Managed to succesfully drop 3 layers of soil down 22 levels for farming purposes without injuries. Had my miners dig out the sand layers then designated some farm plots on the... Granite floors??? It appears when digging out multiple caved in soil layers they revert to the origional rock type of that layer, oops. Back to muddying up the floors with evaperated water I guess. Oh well, my fort now features a 24 level skylight, time to grow some above ground plants down there.
----------------------------------
"Oops"

FireCrazy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31399 on: November 01, 2013, 09:28:38 am »

NOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

11sparky11

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31400 on: November 01, 2013, 09:35:30 am »

Oh well, my fort now features a 24 level skylight.

That sounds like a recipe for disaster. 

mounf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31401 on: November 01, 2013, 11:37:28 am »

Oh well, my fort now features a 24 level skylight.

That sounds like a recipe for disaster.

More of a sauce for fun....

and yes, the current priority project for my Masons is installing a green glass floor over said skylight. I think my dwarfs are developing a head for heights though due to the 27 level cliff that forms the eastern edge of the fort. Amazingly the only one of my dwarfs to fall off this (due to a slight channel designation error on my part, she didn't so much fall as get thrown off by a large cloud of collapsing debris) managed to miss the river and fall on the roof of the power station and survived with every limb broken.
----------------------------------
"Oops"

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #31402 on: November 01, 2013, 12:34:58 pm »

The horseplosion proceeds apace. They're up to 42 or 43. As soon as I get a military cobbled together out of my 38 remaining adult dwarves, I'll go in there after them. The slaughter shall be joyous.

...wait... if they're listed as 'friendly', will I cause a loyalty cascade...?

I don't think so; if I recall correctly, you said the animals originated from an elf caravan. So they all belong to the elves (children adopt the loyalties of their parents, including for animals), and killing other civilizations' pets won't result in a civil war for your own civilization. Unless some of them are secretly horse-loving elves. :P
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Tonic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31403 on: November 01, 2013, 01:11:37 pm »

As the trade wagons roll in from the mountainhomes, a goblin ambush springs up right along their route.  I send my military running to help.

One of my soldiers runs into the path of a wagon and is bowled over by the yak pulling it.  He promptly gets up, dusts himself off, and beheads the yak before going off to mop up goblins.

The caravan turned around and left.

In the caverns is the most phlegmatic forgotten beast ever.  A giant viper with exposed ribs and a jointed trunk, he appeared in the water next to the magma forges and hasn't budged an inch in two years.  I'm considering dropping some rocks on his head.

ImagoDeo

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_THINK:UNTHINKABLE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #31404 on: November 01, 2013, 03:43:51 pm »

The Great Horse Slaughter proceeds apace. Their numbers are down to fourteen now (one of whom is unreachable but of no consequence, since he's male and will never reproduce). The five marksdwarves I recruited from the ranks of my haulers have all excelled in their training and all of them have been awarded titles for playing their part in raising my FPS.

Several children were killed by scared horses running through the fortress. Praise Armok!

And the majority of the children are now moving towards being useful members of the fort instead of useless mouths. At least twenty of them should grow old enough to work in the coming year or two.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2013, 10:53:00 pm by ImagoDeo »
What would it be like to live in a world that was copy/pasted? Would we even notice? If not, how many times have we switched celestial harddrives or whatever?

11sparky11

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31405 on: November 01, 2013, 04:25:08 pm »

The Great Horse Slaughter proceeds apace. Their numbers are down to fourteen now (one of whom is unreachable but of no consequence, since he's male and will never reproduce). The five marksdwarves I recruited from the ranks of my haulers have all excelled in their training and all of them have been awarded titles for playing their part in raising my FPS.

Several children were killed by scared horses running through the fortress. Praise Armok!

And the majority of the children are now moving towards being useful members of the fort instead of useless mouths. At least twenty of them should grow old enough to work in the coming year or two.

Just use DT to enforce child labour. Child labour is this best labour. You should use child labour. Why don't you use child labor? I use child labour.

ImagoDeo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31406 on: November 01, 2013, 10:55:27 pm »

Just use DT to enforce child labour. Child labour is this best labour. You should use child labour. Why don't you use child labor? I use child labour.

To quote myself from another thread on the topic:

I'll do that when I get past playing vanilla. For now, I want to take DF on its own terms, not mine.

Thanks though. I'll keep it in mind for future forts where I want other challenges to deal with besides crummy overpopulation of useless mouths.
What would it be like to live in a world that was copy/pasted? Would we even notice? If not, how many times have we switched celestial harddrives or whatever?

Aslandus

• Bay Watcher
  • Slowly descending into madness
    • View Profile
« Reply #31407 on: November 02, 2013, 12:01:27 am »

I recently realized my fort had no metal besides tin, but I've worked around it, arming my dwarf militias with stuff the goblins generously "donated" to our cause, often along with one or two of their limbs. We may not have metal, but an infinite supply of glass and decent number of crossbows has caused the front of the fort to be covered in severed limbs, blood and skeletons of old kills... I imagine this may have something to do with why the traders are willing to give us metal bars for a bunch of tattered troll socks.... oh, and lets not forget the most recent addition: chaining our animal-person prisoners out in front of the bridge as the first line of crossbow fodder...

warwizard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31408 on: November 02, 2013, 02:34:28 pm »

My mayor was just adopted by a 20th cat...
I have set up three cages linked to levers surrounded the cages with deadly weapon traps.
The first cage has all the fortresses captured trolls, all the cats, ravens emus and eagles, yes even the mayor's pets :-)
2nd cage has all the mace, axe, sword, spear and hammer goblins.
3rd cage has all the lasher, crossbow and bow goblins.

I've been setting this up for two years since the last mass release. I'm doing a lot better job at dumping all the goblin's helmets weapons and shields this time, and my shooting gallery only has a single thickness so the dwarves will be forced to stand next to the fortifications. I'll wait till the mayor is very very happy, and see how far and fast I can make him fall into the lowest of moods, teach you to let cats adopt you in masses! The mayor will be one of the dwarves shooting trying to save his cats.

I'll be stationing all the forts 100 + war animals in a pasture just outside the door sealing the room. I intend for none of the prisoners to actually escape this time.

ImagoDeo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31409 on: November 03, 2013, 11:54:33 am »

Are there any jobs that a dwarf without hands can do?
Pages: 1 ... 2092 2093 [2094] 2095 2096 ... 3842