Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2096 2097 [2098] 2099 2100 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6093623 times)

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #31455 on: November 09, 2013, 05:39:09 am »

Two miners with overlapping fractures, legs torn open and extreme pain.
My chief medical dwarf won't even treat them. He just sits in his room and has "no job".

The best thing about is, that the chief medical dwarfs room is just next to the rooms of the miners.

Check the wounded dwarfs' health screens, especially the treatment plan (from unit view - "z" for general information, "h" for health, "<tab>" to move through the registers). Only dwarfs who have the jobs required for treatment activated will perform the required healthcare labours: if you have "diagnosis needed", you need someone with diagnosis enabled, if you have "needs suturing" you need someone with the suturer labour. If there are overlapping fractures involved, you'll need a traction bench installed. AFAIK, the jobs in the treatment plan need to be done in the order listed, if you lack anyone with suturing allowed, all treatment will stop at that stage (without notifying you of the problem) and won't ever continue.

If the dwarfs have no treatment plan yet, they haven't been diagnosed and _may_ have failed to properly get registered as patients. Do you have a hospital zone defined? Healthcare tends to get even less efficient if you didn't define one yet.

If everything's set up right, healthcare dwarfs still have a tendency to idle for a few in-game hours occasionally, because healthcare jobs are only generated very sporadically, even if enough patients and doctors are available.

EDIT: own fort - tried out an "all hunters" embark to pass some time: five dwarfs with ambusher, archer, marksdwarf and animal trainer, one with fishery, one for everything else, starting with enough quivers and dogs for everybody, but weapons and ammo need to be made on-site, starting with one barrel of booze and no food. Waiting for the single workerdwarf to get done with all the building and smelting got rather tiresome, but when the hunters finally had their gear by late spring, they started bringing in carcasses at an alarming speed. Keeping ahead of much-needed amenities like dining tables was a bit of a hassle and i had to occasionally switch the fisherdwarf's fishing labour off to get the mussels cleaned - i had thought about using the workerdwarf for that job, too, but then absolutely nothing of consequence would have gotten done. No booze was produced before the first immigrants arrived and were instantly drafted into basic food jobs, mining and woodcutting had to wait until the autumn migrants.

In short: starting out with a single proper working dwarf is an interesting mini-challenge.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2013, 05:58:34 am by Larix »

Axe27

• Bay Watcher
  • Put down the crossbow
    • View Profile
« Reply #31456 on: November 09, 2013, 01:37:07 pm »

Well, The fortress is on the way. Still haven't established an industry, so I have 20+ idlers and I can't think of anything to do with them yet. My squad of geriatric axedwarves (As all of them are +50 years) have been through hell and back. Despite a multitude of major injuries sustained in combat, none of them have died or lost any limbs. In a recent goblin ambush, one of them got absolutely wrecked by a goblin axeman, who ripped up my axedwarves arm, broke his ankle, and then broke his elbow. Today, he got out of traction and walked away, still flashing yellow from the multitude of various other minor and nerve injuries he's sustained, but he'll live. We'll make a master crutchwalker of him yet.

As for the idlers, I can't seem to figure out what the deal is. My stone stockpiles aren't getting stocked, and the multi-purpose stockpiles, food, and wood stockpiles are. Any idea why dwarves would suddenly stop hauling stone?

Edit: First siege! Wrecked a singular squad of goblin with the aforementioned crutch-walking geriatric squad. Not a single death, and only one injury (A broken arm). My haulers are busy picking up the goblinite.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2013, 04:14:22 pm by Axe27 »
And thus did the dream of dwarven antigravity fade away, not with a massive explosion or a flood of magma, but with a whimper.

I'm going to be depressed all day now.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31457 on: November 09, 2013, 02:09:58 pm »

In addition to emus, dingoes, and giant coyotes(still waiting on a male giant great horned owl), I also am now in the process of domesticating one-humped camels. I have no idea where they came from, but a whole herd of them got caught in cage traps.

War emus riding war camels while wielding giant war coyotes, anyone?
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

PDF urist master

• Bay Watcher
  • Born from cold iron
    • View Profile
« Reply #31458 on: November 09, 2013, 02:51:42 pm »

i recently discovered a half rotting cat that's spreading miasma everywhere. a mercy kill is in order.
We are not evil by choice, but evil by necessity.

KingBacon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31459 on: November 09, 2013, 03:31:29 pm »

Accidentally dug into the third cavern layer, 400 undead started pouring into my main stairwell. I ordered an emergency draft of all able bodied dorfs and plugged the deluge with a wall of flesh. Worked out pretty well. I might write some missives on the events later.
    e    e   e    U   U     
, , , . , , , , , , , ; , , , , , ; , , , , , 
. . . . . . . e U e   . . 0╬0 
###x##############
###x .  . ☼ ☼####£####
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Axe27

• Bay Watcher
  • Put down the crossbow
    • View Profile
« Reply #31460 on: November 09, 2013, 05:19:57 pm »

Holy balls. I just had a 63+7 trolls siege by Goblin. My fifteen man military all in all performed outstandingly (only 14 dwarves met their end), but one dwarf in particular went above and well beyond the call. After killing a squad of swordsgoblins at my trade depot, my main military started fighting the trolls that had followed them.

At this point, I look across the river and see my poor hammer dwarf getting whooped by a squad of twenty swordsgoblins. I send my dwarves along the way to save him, but I think it's too late. But then, holy shit. As my dwarves run off to fight with some goblins running toward them, the hammerdwarf just starts dodging like mad, goblin body parts flying everywhere. Then I see his arms fly off, and I think that's game over. Nuh-uh. Dude stands up and kicks a goblin so hard he goes flying, and then while the goblin is flying through the air, the dwarf chases after him biting him the whole way. Holy shit. He then proceeds to bite two more goblins to death, a legendary fighter. At this point, I think he's going to die because he's pale.

But no. The siege lifted, the goblins running, he zooms across the map to my fortress, goes down three z-levels, hits the bed in the hospital, and then gets off the bed again. Yeah, that's right. Despite having no arms, this dwarf gets off the bed because he doesn't give a shit, and runs back to the barracks. My pale, armless Legendary Fighter is such a badass he doesn't need medical treatment after losing both his arms. Holy crap.

As for the rest, 14 dead dwarves, two wounded. Five military dwarves were killed in the action, but now I have a legendary badass in Iron armor, I don't think we'll need to restock the military for a while. A number of the goblins and a troll also fell into cage traps, so I think I'm probably just going to unleash the my fifteen name long Fighter on 'em later. The flow of goblinite into the fortress threatens to overwhelm my stockpiles. Thankfully, I won't have to actually produce anything for years. I can just live on goblinite.

I looked at the dwarf. She's lacking a nose and sports a badass eye scar that apparently healed instantly. She's very pale, but no longer bleeding, I think. Apparently someone cleaned her with soap before she got out of the bed.

« Last Edit: November 09, 2013, 05:23:35 pm by Axe27 »
And thus did the dream of dwarven antigravity fade away, not with a massive explosion or a flood of magma, but with a whimper.

I'm going to be depressed all day now.

Meme

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31461 on: November 09, 2013, 07:31:22 pm »

Since i'm quite new to this game, I have made a fort for animal training in an Untamed Wilds. All those animal men are now fodder for my military to kill with their bare hands.

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #31462 on: November 09, 2013, 07:32:45 pm »

I'm planning on starting a terrace-building alpaca-farming human settlement.

Should be fun eh?

wer6

• Bay Watcher
  • SCOUT DOESNT WANNA GIVE A KISS
    • View Profile
    • Pirate baaaayyyy!~
« Reply #31463 on: November 09, 2013, 08:57:44 pm »

Then suddenly Demons/ Wild horses.
Just before leaving, Psysquid quickly summons a Burrito in his mouth.

KingBacon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31464 on: November 10, 2013, 10:39:15 am »

Mining slade, making slade war hammers. Expect combat reports.
    e    e   e    U   U     
, , , . , , , , , , , ; , , , , , ; , , , , , 
. . . . . . . e U e   . . 0╬0 
###x##############
###x .  . ☼ ☼####£####
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

WoobMonkey

• Bay Watcher
  • High Lobster of Fluffy Wamblers
    • View Profile
« Reply #31465 on: November 10, 2013, 10:49:56 am »

Crumbling.  Learned some lessons, though:

i) Joyous Wilds with only one haunted corner square of a 6x6 embark will still spawn undead elephants - and more often than I would expect;

ii) Zombie elephants, and zombie giant boars, will utterly destroy a fortress population;

iii) Children kept underground don't seem to draw the attention of surface undead;

iv) Children are incredibly resistant, psychologically;

v) Hostile ghosts are fatal to sprogs, even when nothing else seems to be;

vi) Migrants don't like to come to a fort that has no adult population, and hasn't had the opportunity to trade a single darned thing!

Seriously, all I wanted to do was hunt unicorns.  Was that so much to ask?  :P
Edangzak Utharsanad Gedor - think you have what it takes?
CharmCrafted

The dog misses the ball!
The ball softly hits Urist McTrainer in the head, breaking the paper-thin skull and denting the non-existent brain!

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31466 on: November 10, 2013, 11:03:52 am »

A ghostly speardwarf just appeared out of nowhere, I don't even have the corpse (though to be fair, it might have been atomsmashed at one point) and I don't have any speardwarves (or have had), so I assume its one of the mercs. Made a copy save and looked in legends, nothing. Making some slabs now to engrave.

Edit: Not available to be memorialized either. Going to use DFhack to fix I guess. He is currently standing in a high traffic hallway probably scaring the crap out of everybody.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2013, 11:07:46 am by smjjames »

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #31467 on: November 10, 2013, 12:58:24 pm »

The theme of my fort is apparently Dingoes. Most history on the walls relate to Dingo People killing humans, Humans killing Giant Dingoes, Dingoes killing humans, humans killing Dingo-men, etc. In addition, the elves have supplied me with dingoes, of both the regular size and giant variety, both of which now guard the fort entrance. And yet I have not seen 1 wild dingo. The Elves also brought grizzlies, so I will soon have a small war grizzly army as well.

A well is up, after many years of complaints. The Cavern it leads to has a web-spitting Dinosaur FB, but since it can't fly I'm safe for now. The Metal industry is suffering, as coal ran out, and we haven't made any charcoal to smelt the bituminous coal we've mined out. Must send the miners to find Magma.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

DubDub

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31468 on: November 10, 2013, 01:07:03 pm »

Trying to raise an army of Tiger/Alligator/Anacondas.
Only got the Alligators so far. :/

Tarqiup Inua

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31469 on: November 10, 2013, 01:07:12 pm »

The theme of my fort is apparently Dingoes. Most history on the walls relate to Dingo People killing humans, Humans killing Giant Dingoes, Dingoes killing humans, humans killing Dingo-men, etc. In addition, the elves have supplied me with dingoes, of both the regular size and giant variety, both of which now guard the fort entrance. And yet I have not seen 1 wild dingo. The Elves also brought grizzlies, so I will soon have a small war grizzly army as well.

A well is up, after many years of complaints. The Cavern it leads to has a web-spitting Dinosaur FB, but since it can't fly I'm safe for now. The Metal industry is suffering, as coal ran out, and we haven't made any charcoal to smelt the bituminous coal we've mined out. Must send the miners to find Magma.
Your engraver either likes or dislikes dingoes... simple as that...

...meanwhile in my fort, someone who likes skinless demons was appointed as a mason and I also put aside someone who likes ice devils... the decorations might get interesting, eventually...
Nuri al-Gnat - dwarven apidologist
notable works: al-Gnat's test (for determining the child snatcher's ability to pass undetected while getting stung by bees... or at least look human while at it)
Pages: 1 ... 2096 2097 [2098] 2099 2100 ... 3842