Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2082 2083 [2084] 2085 2086 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6096172 times)

bennerman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #31245 on: October 19, 2013, 12:50:12 am »

I think she will be part of the first test of Knotsea science

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #31246 on: October 19, 2013, 02:04:03 am »

Serrated discs are the best tools for gibs.

Apricotius

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #31247 on: October 19, 2013, 02:15:06 am »

I'm a fairly new player and I'm starting to make some of those dwarfy projects that I've been hearing about. Currently I'm trying to make a drowning chamber in my fort that will also double as a well. Gotta start somewhere!

I'm curious, does anyone else obsessively round off the corners of rooms larger than a few squares like I do?

Niccolo

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Sweet top hat]
    • View Profile
« Reply #31248 on: October 19, 2013, 02:42:45 am »

I'm a fairly new player and I'm starting to make some of those dwarfy projects that I've been hearing about. Currently I'm trying to make a drowning chamber in my fort that will also double as a well. Gotta start somewhere!

I'm curious, does anyone else obsessively round off the corners of rooms larger than a few squares like I do?

Yeah, sometimes. Mostly 'cause I hate giant squares.

One note about a well/drowning chamber... If huge water floods in too quickly and bats the hapless victims around too much, they'll bleed from injuries. This will taint the water and give dwarves more of a bad thought than usual it they drink it... Doubly so if you try and drown a fleshy Titan or something with noxious thingies in its blood!

Not saying don't do it, just... Don't be surprised when your entire cistern is suddenly red.
What's wrong with using magma? That's almost always the easiest method.
I have issues channeling it properly to do that method. I end up flooding the fortress with magma.
Check out my RtD!

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31249 on: October 19, 2013, 02:52:47 am »

Our first full crop of ghost fingers and gutter lho came in. Good thing I had the storage space for them expanded. Especially with the gutter lho, which comes in bulk with a bunch of decently skilled planters. Sadly production of blacksap fungi has gone less than well. And I have no idea how to further process it to ink so I can start copying things besides schematics (which are apparently worthless without the box they come in except for their production purposes, which is odd.)

We appear to have purge the first segment of colony dome of unseemly creatures, namely carrion bats and ripperjacks, as they haven't accosted our dome silk collectors in some time. Good for us! And it only cost us a dozen dogs and two militia members. We've also gotten a heavy flamer and two heavy MGs set up. Can't wait to test them out! Well, the heavy flamer will predictably cook people. I'm more wondering how the MGs will fair (before anyone asks, they of course syndrome/interaction the operator into an immobile heavy weapon gunner creature for a bit.)

Raggsockan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31250 on: October 19, 2013, 04:23:31 am »

I am trying out adventure mode and testing everything out, take those first steps following a keybind guide and oh i can look what my companion is wearing cool! Leather armor thats good and... he is... covered from top to toe in elf blood. What has this guy been doing!?

Edit:I found out where the blood came from! I am running through elf blood drenched fields! It truly is Armok's doing!
« Last Edit: October 19, 2013, 04:34:44 am by Raggsockan »

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31251 on: October 19, 2013, 04:26:31 am »

Armok's work clearly.

stormyseasons

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31252 on: October 19, 2013, 08:01:32 am »

Generated a new world and started a new fort, using the Masterwork mod.

Struck the earth, preliminary diggings started... then the notice of striking 'foreboding shadow' pops up. I cancel the designation on that tile. The next notice of 'foreboding shadow' I get is when I'm digging out a long 3 tile wide corridor - before I can cancel the designation, my miners break that tile. Straightaway, interrupted mining, and dwarves frozen in terror. I go to check... and out of the foreboding shadow comes a balrog. A large, firebreathing, balrog. Three balrogs, who wreak havoc on my mining team. One miner gets lucky and smashes a balrog's soulgem before dying, so now there's only two balrogs looking for dwarven lunchsnacks.

Off I go to military screen to conscript my latest batch of immigrants, where luckily some came with weapon skills and the weapons to go with them. One of which has a spear, and some skill with spears, who eventually takes out one of the named balrogs. The surviving one goes on a rampage through my dining hall and bedroom apartments, avoiding the speardorf.... and falling to the prototype speargolem pet of one of my immigrants.

Fortress survives, at the cost of 13 dwarf lives.

Masterwork definitely has returned to me the feeling of 'Losing is Fun!'
I'm Digging Deeper... AGAIN... You Should Too!

Dig Deeper GOLD - 475+ items of new content including; new plants, new creatures, new metals, new woods, new gems, new stones, new crafts and much, much more.

Merari

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31253 on: October 19, 2013, 08:09:43 am »

After complaints that having to take stairs thirty levels down and up again to put the remains and items of those that were put into the splatter-shute to fall to their death was an inefficient waste of dwarf time, the overseer decided to simply extend the splatter-shute down into the magma where enemies are hygienically incinerated.
This saves a lot of going up and down stairs, carrying some trolls tooth.

Of course the shute can be blocked off by a steel drawbridge, in case of something unforseen happening.

Dwarves can now leisurely take cages from the traps outside a few stairs down to the general storage level, store them in the full cage stockpile/ pit room and when the order is given about half an invasion force and their animals get to enjoy quite a long fall down into the magma sea.

Orders were also given to build a tower going upwards from the ramparts level, only reachable from underground, all the way up to the highest elevation dwarves can build.
There a platform will be constructed to house a precious adamantine statue encrusted with gems so that a statue room dedicated to Armok will entertain dwarves while giving them a superb view of their lands, as well as serve as a beacon to the rest of the world.
It shall have walls made of the most precious of gemstones.

The overseer sees no apparent problem in saving a timewaste here while introducing another one there. After all, where dwarves choose to spend their break is up to them but work is important.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2013, 08:13:38 am by Merari »

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #31254 on: October 19, 2013, 08:32:05 am »

All my dwarves are busy cleaning up the corpses that are omnipresent after the great onslaught of goblins, there's only 25 dwarves left and only one of my initial 7. No more miners, I've had to turn my crypts into mass-graves to accomodate and I'm patiently waiting for migrants, hopefully gaining some more defenses.

"A vile force of darkness has arrived!".

FFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU-

E:
The dwarven merchants that were just leaving have destroyed my first siege.
;_;
« Last Edit: October 19, 2013, 08:40:00 am by miauw62 »

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31255 on: October 19, 2013, 12:06:19 pm »

First tower built. We're also getting good with training and even close to domesticating chinchillas, dingos, emus, and giant coyotes, and possibly even wolves. I even have a female giant great horned owl, although I lack an appropriate male.

Soon, the world will tremble as I release the war emus.

I also have a number of grasshopper men and jumping spider men. No idea what I'm going to do with them. They'll die of old age before I can build a colliseum.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

ImagoDeo

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_THINK:UNTHINKABLE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #31256 on: October 19, 2013, 12:48:39 pm »

A few years back, some crazy elven merchants took a nose dive into the nearby stream.

His female horse survived. And has been swimming there for three years.

And has given birth twice.
What would it be like to live in a world that was copy/pasted? Would we even notice? If not, how many times have we switched celestial harddrives or whatever?

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31257 on: October 19, 2013, 12:51:55 pm »

Is that magnetite, bitimous coal, and limestone right next to each other? Lucky bastard.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

flabort

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a demilich, despite the 4e and 5e nerfs
    • View Profile
« Reply #31258 on: October 19, 2013, 12:52:29 pm »

hippocampus, anyone?
The Cyan Menace

Went away for a while, came back, went away for a while, and back for now.

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31259 on: October 19, 2013, 04:05:19 pm »

Hmm, could be "Minerals: everywhere", judging by the number of gem clusters and mineral veins. Lots of fun, but you can get a bit too used to having everything. And it might be some image processing effect, but the matrix stone looks a bit too greyish for limestone to me, might be chalk instead. Same difference, though - chalk is a flux stone, too.

Do you still get elven caravans? In my experience, caravans commonly fail to show up if there are still members of an earlier caravan of the same civ loaded on the site, and the mare should have been a pack beast.
Pages: 1 ... 2082 2083 [2084] 2085 2086 ... 3842