Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2080 2081 [2082] 2083 2084 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6096171 times)

The_Peanut

• Escaped Lunatic
  • Not the Bees!
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #31215 on: October 15, 2013, 10:22:22 pm »

Continuing in my fort's theme of crazy shit happening, DOUBLE SIEGE! undead and goblins. Im gonna recall my military and hope they sort each other out.
"Fire is the ultimate antibiotic" ~ Squint

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31216 on: October 15, 2013, 11:05:54 pm »

Well, my miserable pit in the ground in the shadow of a cave full of ripperjacks is amazingly doing somewhat ok thanks largely to the deaths of several wolf spiders, a feral grox that picked a fight with my own "docile" herd, and the fungal flour they brought on embark. We've lost one highly valued worker named Bell to one of the offending spiders before a grox kicked it to death. Unfortunately, we forgot to bring any kits with the tools we need to sift through all the junk piles we've managed to dig up (and brought with us,) so only the merciful abundance of compressed masonry will likely get us what we need next winter, since I doubt the traders from our old settlement will have any toolkits on hand, though they should have some bandoleers so we can use our shotguns for more than bashing angry bugs to death.

But we really need some tools, otherwise we'll be left with two unloaded shotguns, some drills, and two ferrum axes to fight off the bands of escaped pit slaves (of which both hiver civs were at war with, but seem to be winning.) We got lucky in the resource department, as lots of carbon-heavy waste and slag of various sorts are on hand.

Now my hivers are complaining about a lack of buckets to give eachother that nasty fetid water we have in that pollution-laden thing called a river.

EDIT: ANd now we have a servant of chaos hiding in our midst. One of our workers, a short plain fellow named Idem who was tasked with getting some metal out of our damnable piles of ferrum-laden slag and iron bloom, was found dead in his own bed while his wife and two others were bringing some lockers and a box in for thier use. Evidently whoever did it silenced his cries for help and drained the blood from his body, likely for some dark ritual or offering to the dark gods. We'll root this bastard out and once we find him or her, we'll find a nice cozy closet to lock them in until we have something suitable to smash their brains in with.

EDIT II: We caught the bastard before he could get another one of us it was our prawn cleaner Stansen. The door's cogitator detected something amiss with him and locked up tight and the bastard face planted after walking into the thing. We've built him a nice cozy little cell to die in, either by starvation or me eventually figuring out a way to let a plague zombie loose in there with him.

shrike.ex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31217 on: October 16, 2013, 06:19:40 pm »

I just had one of my hammerdwarves hit so hard in the face by a thrall that his severed head killed one of my rookie marksdwarfs that were behind him. I genuinely didn't know that was possible. O.O

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31218 on: October 16, 2013, 07:06:52 pm »

Finally started on production of what I assume in the equivalent of regular ol' cigarettes, known in the hive as Lho Sticks. And each carton is quite valuable at  250 and if there's a quality  modifier based on the plant processor's own skill, they'll get more valuable. But even if they aren't, we'll easily be able to afford the tools and munitions we need to fight off any roving bands of escaped pit fighters.

EDIT: Some warp spawned monstrosity crawled up out of the cave by the name of Crassus. It was a fuck-all huge scorpion composed of Coral and one of the hivers seems to have been blessed by the Emprah because he got his third kill, by cutting that gigantic abomination in half with little more than an old sword bayonet that was probably broken off some unfortunate lasgun. His first was a pit slave general and his second a plague zombie.

In celebration of our victory over that.... thing, one of the ghost finger plants, a man named Donovan, has decided to throw a party. Well earned I'd say. Shame that it caught two dogs while they were out hunting vermin though.

Khegit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31219 on: October 16, 2013, 08:53:49 pm »

Gonna lure a web-shooting FB into a silk farm by chaining up a couple of Goblin hammerlords, and a macelord. Also my fortress was attacked by a Giant recently. I actually felt kind of bad for it, as it passed out, due to pain, after one iron bolt to the leg.

Maul_Junior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31220 on: October 17, 2013, 12:34:19 am »

Geeze. I have some vicious animals.

And a large stockpile of meat thanks to a pair of inept sasquatches.

nope, three saquatches. I was wondering where that sasquatch head came from.

And they are ALL totally inept. Out of the three, only the middle one has managed to do any damage at all. Every other time my animals and recruits have dodged away.

So far the total is:

Hunter Recruit I got specifically for the free crossbow's left hand, bruised
Hunter Recruit's Left Thigh, bruised
a Hunter Shaggy Badger Dog's right forepaw, bruised

That was the good fight. Five pages long. The latest sasquatch lunged at one of my cave turtles, and one of my war drakes, a War Cragtooth Boars, and both my hunting and war Shaggy Badgerdogs tore him a new one before the military could even show up.

Considering I was out of food before this, and the first sasquatch gave me 53 meat, I'm pretty damn happy.

Though no option is showing up in the Tannery that I'd built for the Hunter to turn the Tough Skin into Leather. or is the Tough Skin used as Tough Skin?

Whatever. I've got PLENTY of meat, my war animals that I've pastured directly next to the current, temporary easy access entrance have gotten a taste for blood, and soon I'll have Sasquatch Rope/Waterskins. That's what you get for going after my turtles, Sasquatches!

The great thing is, my Military Commander is a Legionnaire, and the Recruit trained all the animals. So.......fighting machine and animal trainer. :D

Once I get a breeding pair of each, I'll have either Iron or Steel-clad Badgerdogs/Cragtooth Boars. And Drakes. :D

And it's only Summer of the first year.

EDIT: aaaaand there we go. It took a while for the Tough Skin-> Leather to show up in the TAnnery options, but there it is now. So I believe I've only butchererd 1 Sasquatch for 53 meat, waterskin, rope, 19 leather........

yup. I'm set. Probably gonna move the non-combat animals away from the entrance as soon as more dirt area is dug out, though.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2013, 12:42:42 am by Maul_Junior »
Quote from: Meph
I didn't actually say this.

Quote from: smurfingtonthethird
there is nothing funnier than watching a goblin army get assaulted by hundreds of war chickens.

Any new discovery, sufficiently weaponize, is indistinguishable from !!FUN!!

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31221 on: October 17, 2013, 12:50:53 am »

Finally got the tools I needed and now we've begun some honest to god weapon production underway, starting with getting the Wolf Spiders and Vent Lurkers (A shotgun and autogun squad respectively,) bayonets for their weapons. Buttstrokes are all well and good but they just piss off zombies and giant wolf spiders. And we've just gotten the materials made to make an ammo press.

Thanks to the sheer blind luck of having plentiful carboniferous waste (though I am loath to think about what the "carbon" part of said waste is) and not having a large amount of toxin-laden compressed rubble and presumably toxic polluted halite in the path of accessing the good stuff like ferrous slag and iron bloom, and once we got into processing our copious amount of junk dug out the first year gave us the means to produce said parts for the ammo press.

Also, Lho sticks were a life saver.

Maul_Junior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31222 on: October 17, 2013, 01:39:14 am »

So the first cavern is breached, and I will soon be able to move my booze goats and the lucky breeding pair of Tuskox I got that pulled the wagon underground.

So far the only metal I've seen is Cassiterite. ....yay tin?

I....suppose I can make all kinds of bin with it, since I'll have a lot of it and it's light. And crafts, obviously. But I don't want throwing tin soldiers at my enemies to be my primary defense. Unless they're literal Tin Dwarven soldiers, until I find something stronger.

Oh, and I apparently have a bit of Anthracite near the top of the first Cavern.

Heh.

Sweet.

Things are going pretty decently. Which means in about two months everything is going to go cataclysmically wrong. I do believe I'm at war with some civ, actually. Break Wolves or something like that? Beak Wolves.

Looking over the Masterwork races, I kind of want the Tigermen to invade, I always picture Rath from Ben 10. An entire species of nothing but Rath.

And it is beautiful in my imagination. "Let me tell you Dwarf Fortress that's going along decently! We're going to bring all kinds of fun!"

Baby Drake in with the new Migrants?

Heh.

Sweet.

I......may have gone a little beserk in clearing out non-Dwarfs on my map. Killed Giant Thrips, King Snakes, and coyotes. The guy that I'm most proud of is Muthkat Ozurgoen, resident Hunter (the crossbow seems to have been misplaced), animal trainer, and resident bad-ass. None of the three soldiers that were running arund had armor or weapons, and were kicking ass and taking names. Muthkat especially proved himself to me. I'm probably going to bump him up to new Military Commander, and if/when I find weapons-grade ores, he willl be the first to get a full set of armor, and his choice of weaponry. And after him, his loyal band of animal followers. The Shaggy dogs, the Drakes, the Boars......all will be fully clad in iron or steel at the earliest opportunity. He'll get massive quarters with all three of the sasquatch skull totems on full display.

I just love the guy. Going to give him a bit of a rest despite the fact that 8 new Coyotes just showed up. The guy is bruised to hell and nauseous--he kept vomiting between fights but he and his band of war animals kept going. Right now the list of his bruises are:

Chest
Right Breast
Torso
Left Arm
Left Forearm
Right Thigh
Left Thigh
Right Shin
Gut

And at one point his Groin was bruised too.

He only has three kills (Military Commander with his battle pick tend to steal the kills), but his last one, he got a grip on the coyote, and then literally yanked its head off of its body.

The Military Commander is fine btw, as are the animals. Well, aside from minor bruising. No War Animal has more than 2 bruised areas, however. All in all, for 14 kills not bad. Nobody died, nobody seriously injured.

Can't wait for weapons and armor. Then I'll have to have a professional patrol at most times, with Muthkat in the lead.

Goblins will probably make short work of the relatively inexperienced and unarmored military though. Considering it has only 3 people and isn't anywhere near HolisticDetective's level (though if I could equip everyone with backpacks for weapons I would)......
« Last Edit: October 17, 2013, 04:24:47 am by Maul_Junior »
Quote from: Meph
I didn't actually say this.

Quote from: smurfingtonthethird
there is nothing funnier than watching a goblin army get assaulted by hundreds of war chickens.

Any new discovery, sufficiently weaponize, is indistinguishable from !!FUN!!

Erils

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31223 on: October 17, 2013, 02:47:47 am »

My militia commander, who also happened to be my only dwarf who was competent at fighting, just went berserk in my dinning room/meeting hall. Not sure what to do just yet.

Tarqiup Inua

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31224 on: October 17, 2013, 05:01:52 am »

My last fort is still prospering, I am catching wild animals and training my animal trainer on them... and my military on the animal people that get caught up in the traps as well...

I generated another world, too... large one, long history... still in age of myth... there is dwarven civilization called "Entangled Shields" and the leader, as it sometimes happens, is a vampire extraordinaire... she has been a queen since the year 1 and has over 37 thousand kills... I've seen this before but not to this extent...
Vampire lady with an appetite... living snack every tenday for the last one thousand years...

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

...can you imagine that? That's about 36 migrants taken care of every year - sounds so productive!

EDIT: Apparently, 9 out of 10 dwarven civilizations have vampire rulers. One has goblin ruler whose mother was goblin vampire.

Also - apparently one of the dwarven queens from the history books was named Monom Passiondagger and was in fact elven werelizard... and since one can't hide that long, neither did her rulership last to these days.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2013, 08:03:40 am by Tarqiup Inua »
Nuri al-Gnat - dwarven apidologist
notable works: al-Gnat's test (for determining the child snatcher's ability to pass undetected while getting stung by bees... or at least look human while at it)

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31225 on: October 17, 2013, 11:35:53 am »

Well, I've finall managed to take control of the upper parts of the old rubble-slag stack that lead down to the old colony domes. I've finally gotten just enough industry to outfit a gang of five autogunners with enough ammo and autoguns with fixed bayonets that I decided to deploy the Vent Lurkers on exploration.

As they were poking around looking for whatever Emprah-forsaken horrors and riches may be down there (perhaps a source of promethium or archeotech? Components for spook and frenzon maybe?) and they are promptly jumped by four plague zombies. One of the less skilled autogunners, Corva, put a round right through one's skull, finally ending whoever that poor sap was' existence. Unfortunately, the leader of the gang, Tia, was literally chewed up pretty badly despite one of the other rookies, John, trying desperately to back her up in the melee. Thankfully it wasn't bite-tear injuries so if the fourth doesn't blunder into her she might survive.

John meanwhile, as Corva and Tomas took shots where they could, is managing to hold his own against two of the zombies, his bayonet making all the difference.

EDIT: Damn, that fourth one got Tia but not before she actually headbutted out some of it's teeth. Oh well. Such is life in the underhive.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #31226 on: October 17, 2013, 01:24:35 pm »

Laborurge is facing it's last days. The goblin ambush has been stricken down, but I'm down to about 15 healthy dorfs.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I sent out all of my dorfs to fight. There are dead dorfs piled in my food stockpile and everywhere else.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31227 on: October 18, 2013, 03:18:48 am »

A giant raft spider has decided to stop by my little settlement.

It's dead now, by sheer blind luck or divine intervention from the Emprah or Khorne. It knocked the killer, Deimos, down, and in three desperate attacks he killed it (punch to leg: Fail. Punch to head: Fail: Bayonet through head: Spider very very dead.) Or that bog standard steel bayonet is absurdly lucky. It has taken down two FBs and now my first Underhive megabeast. Or was it that Ferrum one that was lucky... Either way, other than that other guy my swordsmen have been quite the lucky fellows!

Before that we were recognizes as an official segment of the counted population as a minor settlement with a junior administratum scribe being selected from our number. Following the victory, a party was organized and the scribe took care of ripping the crazy valuable eyes out of that thing's head herself.

And preceding that was an attack by the pit slaves, which claimed the life of a guilder merc and Onager, one of the shotgunners and a settlement founder. Frankly he deserved it for not bringing his shotgun to the fight. It also displayed the raw power autoguns have over the older mod. Also pit slaves, while tough, don't function so well after getting an armor piercing bullet sent through their skull.

wer6

• Bay Watcher
  • SCOUT DOESNT WANNA GIVE A KISS
    • View Profile
    • Pirate baaaayyyy!~
« Reply #31228 on: October 18, 2013, 06:35:08 am »

snip

What mod you playing? I am so very interested :)
Just before leaving, Psysquid quickly summons a Burrito in his mouth.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31229 on: October 18, 2013, 06:59:35 am »

snip

What mod you playing? I am so very interested :)

A mod started by Destroid and Abregado, and since taken over by Suds Zimmerman: Underhive.

It's based around the running of a settlement of wayward Hive Primus citizenry in the dank, horrible place that is the polluted wasteland of the underhive, with your survival very uncertain early on, with aggressors like outlawed hivers, escaped pit-fighting slaves, and mutated folk known as scavvies, along with all the wildlife being set to "kill your people on site."

Everything other than vermin will try to kill you at some point, but then if you survive long enough, you'll have everything from sledgehammers and fighting knives to military grade firearms like autoguns and if you have the mean to purchase them, bolters, to fight back with.

Food is often hard to come by early on or horribly inefficient, wood will almost entirely need to be imported no matter where you go, and efficent smelting can and will claim the lives of unprotected workers. ANd just as food is harder to acquire early to mid-game, so  are means of defense. Hell unless you bring some shotguns and ammo (in the form of bulk shotshell and shotgun crates,) your miners and their mining drills will likely be your only defense against hostile wildlife until you deplete the number of them in the region.

And good luck surviving if you forgot a fuel rod.

Just got another raft spider and again Deimos put his blade through it's head, though this time two war mutts backed him up. I have since gifted Deimos the profession of "Raft-Wrecker" in recognition of his service. The pitslaves came for another round, similar loadout but twice as many men with axes instead of swords. The Wolf Spiders and Vent Lurkers rushed out to the depot to assist the guilder caravan and the hail of autogun rounds and shotgun slugs disabled several and killed two outright as the guilders' mercenaries rushed forward and began putting down the wounded who'd given in to their injuries. A Miner named Diana, one of the founders, got started by the attack from the west and ran smack into the other enemy officer.

And jammed her drill into his sternum.

The battle is still ongoing but now both enemy commanders are dead, one from being literally gutted by three shots to the body and the other from fatal drill-in-brain syndrome.

EDIT: ONce I'm more familiar with the mod/ the next release comes out with updated chaos cultists I intend to start a community game with it, see if this time I can gain a decent enough audience for some participation.
Pages: 1 ... 2080 2081 [2082] 2083 2084 ... 3842