Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2071 2072 [2073] 2074 2075 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6097001 times)

Lielac

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:PEDANTRY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #31080 on: September 30, 2013, 07:10:41 am »

New fort, Sabregods. Went well for a couple years, until in the late Autumn of 203 I opened the gates to let the dwarven caravan in and a kobold bowman sniped one of my planters. Chaos ensued. As of 24th Slate 205 I have 6 dwarves, 1 of whom is adult, and 72 goblins, mounts, and MOTHERFUCKING WAR CAVE DRAGONS (8 of those, included in the 72) sitting outside. Oh, and 3 violent ghosts. I'm gonna let this siege in, death by dragon sounds like the fucking best.

Lielac likes adamantine, magnetite, marble, the color olive green, battle axes, cats for their aloofness, dragons for their terrible majesty, women for their beauty, and the Oxford comma for its disambiguating properties. When possible, she prefers to consume pear cider and nectarines. She absolutely detests kobolds.

Hague

• Bay Watcher
  • How do I shot web?
    • View Profile
« Reply #31081 on: September 30, 2013, 03:01:14 pm »

Fort's in a cold area so I like to pit excess junk and burn it with the immolate command.

I will also use the immolate command to remove undead bodies. Fire should definitely be something dwarves have more control over.

Maybe someone could mod a torch type weapon that deals burning damage and has a syndrome that causes the corpse to ignite?

Ice-Man

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #31082 on: September 30, 2013, 04:26:05 pm »

Looks like sea wanted to enter my fort badly.

After some fights with goblins I had to build a hospital. Standard thing. But it needed a clear water. So decided to build a water tank under it, like I always do. Dug out some tunnels and channeled chimney down, used standard doors to seal walkways from water tunnels, like I always do, elsewhere floodgates. Everything prepared, tank constructed, pump for clearing water made, all that was left was to mine out 2 last squares standing in the way for me to make my standard water tank.

I carefully planned tasks so both squares would be mined out at the same time, and both miners would just run away, like always.

But it wasn't like always. Before today I haven't tried to mine into the sea. And sea's a harsh lover. As first miner dug into the sea whole water went bursting through and filled aqueduct in an instant. I was like "hell, I can live without those two miners". And then I saw the bigger picture.

My safety doors didn't stop the water flow, and my fort was instantly filled with 7/7 water, except top floor. Last hope were caverns underneath my fortress, hoing they would take all the water. But for my luck I had sealed access to them, to not let any FUN out of them.

So, apart from now-ended siege outside, probably a vampire or two in my fort I have a loads of water with no means to dispose it somewhere.

Good thing I recorded the whole mess I made, for those interested: http://www.twitch.tv/thatplayingdude/c/3014348

And that song at 3:00 mark just made everything worse.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31083 on: September 30, 2013, 05:24:08 pm »

Mudo Sposustru has come! A great eight legged zebra with external ribs! Beware its fire!

Um.... I think I'll let my marksdorf squad deal with this one via archery platform and kitten bait.

Cuddles

• Bay Watcher
  • Who wants to cuddle?
    • View Profile
« Reply #31084 on: September 30, 2013, 08:48:11 pm »

Welcome to my fortress! Come right in!

First, observe the lovely agricultural and storage portions! They provide the majority of food for my lovely and thriving fortress! You might also notice a few dangerous monsters and goblins! They are nothing to be afraid of, having been caught in the cage traps during a siege!

Now, the hospital! Dwarves enjoy coming here so much they practically throw themselves in harm's way just to get an excuse!

Turns out that 9 cage traps wasn't enough and a long entrance hall was a death trap against marksgoblins. At least I got their damn mounted captain with the traps. I forgot to attach my bridge to a lever and when the siege hit I was desperately trying to hook it up. I don't know if you can see the mechanism there on the entrance hall picture but it was two blocks away before my dwarf was hit by arrows and decided to flee. so close... things are spiraling out of control right now. 4 berserk dwarves I think. Handful of melancholy. And of course a fey mood hits right now, so that guy will go insane as well.
I don't bite.

Bludulukus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31085 on: September 30, 2013, 09:56:57 pm »

That is a lot of dead dwarves, good job Cuddles!

fourpotatoes

• Bay Watcher
  • N DSD & Sw
    • View Profile
« Reply #31086 on: October 01, 2013, 12:55:08 am »

A wererat child showed up, but before I could mobilize the militia, two babysnatchers appeared right next to it. They seem to be doing a good job of dealing with each other without my intervention.

Meanwhile in the second cavern, I've finally begun constructing a facility into which I'll relocate my cloth & garment industry from its current temporary location just behind the trade depot. It has its own drawbridge to control access (with the lever on the outside, naturally). My copious supply of wood (this fortress's main export has been exceptional & masterwork wheelbarrows & minecarts) means it'll soon fill with wood bins to store cloth. I call it the Octagon Sock Factory. Surely nothing can go wrong!

Lielac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31087 on: October 01, 2013, 01:09:26 am »

Razoract

6th Obsidian, 202

Learning from the mistakes of my previous two fortresses, Razoract has a much reduced topside footprint, roofs over everything that is topside, and an airlock system to allow caravans passage into my fortress without exposing my dwarves to such wonderful things as goblins, kobolds, and giant keas. (Which I don't have right now, thank fuck.)

Razoract has weathered its first siege, the only fortress casualties a cat and stray puppy. 3 of the dwarven caravan guards died, however, as well as the outpost liaison and a yak, and two of their three wagons were scuttled. Are merchant guards still bugged so you can't slab them?

EDIT

10th Malachite, 204

THERE IS A CANDY SPIRE. IT EXTENDS INTO THE THIRD CAVERN. HALLE-FUCKING-LUIAH

12th Malachite

NO. GET YOUR OWN CRAFTDORF SHOP, YOU POSSESSED MONSTER OF A CHILD. THAT ONE IS FOR STRAND EXTRACTION. FUCK OFF.

16th Malachite

A... harp.

Spoiler: A harp. (click to show/hide)

A HARP.

Dear, sweet, precious... what was your name again? Zefon? Sweetest Zefon, would you mind terribly taking a bath in the magma sea?
« Last Edit: October 01, 2013, 03:25:23 am by Lielac »

Lielac likes adamantine, magnetite, marble, the color olive green, battle axes, cats for their aloofness, dragons for their terrible majesty, women for their beauty, and the Oxford comma for its disambiguating properties. When possible, she prefers to consume pear cider and nectarines. She absolutely detests kobolds.

Grey Goo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • The Metallic
« Reply #31088 on: October 01, 2013, 05:52:27 am »

Candy harp... must have very good sound...

Cuddles

• Bay Watcher
  • Who wants to cuddle?
    • View Profile
« Reply #31089 on: October 01, 2013, 06:52:43 am »

That is a lot of dead dwarves, good job Cuddles!

I think it's only like 40 in total out of ~80 pop. I've done better before. There was one great time before I learned about burrows and locked 50 or 60 dwarves outside during a siege from some rather nasty mounted goblins and then sent my 40 member military out to deal with them.
They all died.
I don't bite.

shadenight123

• Bay Watcher
  • Death. To all. Except my dwarves.
    • View Profile
    • My Twitter
« Reply #31090 on: October 01, 2013, 06:57:47 am »

New fort in mirthful place.
Random name assigned.
Incestousmassacres...
Only in df.
Only in df.
“Well,” he said. “We’re in the Forgotten hunting grounds I take it. Your screams just woke them up early. Congratulations, Lyara.”
“Do something!” she whispered, trying to keep her sight on all of them at once.
Basileus clapped his hands once. The Forgotten took a step forward, attracted by the sound.
“There, I did something. I clapped. I like clapping,” he said. -The Investigator And The Case Of The Missing Brain.

Tarqiup Inua

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31091 on: October 01, 2013, 09:37:57 am »

Candy harp... must have very good sound...
Perhaps it's a misnomer and it is really a tool for grating fingers.
Nuri al-Gnat - dwarven apidologist
notable works: al-Gnat's test (for determining the child snatcher's ability to pass undetected while getting stung by bees... or at least look human while at it)

Snaake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31092 on: October 01, 2013, 09:44:37 am »

...Are merchant guards still bugged so you can't slab them?

The bug still occurs, but e.g. last time I had it, only 1 caravan guard bugged, the other 5-6 or so got buried or slabbed just fine (I'm fairly certain I did have at least 1 other that had to be slabbed; it was a fire-breathing titan that got the caravan).

malimbar04

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31093 on: October 01, 2013, 09:51:38 am »

Greatestsword is so far a relatively successful fort. Population of 36, 3 really good sword dwarves with at least a shield and a bronze short sword (hey, I am short on metals to work with). And I got a bunch of migrants as wrestlers preparing for a future of military when I get the supplies. What could possibly go wrong?

Well, I accidentally carved into an aquifer on z level -12. My masons couldn't get the wall built in time to stop it, so now all the lower levels are flooded. The dining room on level -16 is now blocked off (thanks masons for getting to that one in time), the workshops on level -19 are flooded entirely, and the water goes down to level -25. It has caused a fort redesign, as we had to make an alternate staircase.

oops.

Edit: oh, necromancers! fort is sealed, no worries. Not ready for that terror quite yet.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2013, 10:09:53 am by malimbar04 »
No! No! I will not massacre my children. Instead, I'll make them corpulent on crappy mass-produced quarry bush biscuits and questionably grown mushroom alcohol, and then send them into the military when they turn 12...

Lielac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31094 on: October 01, 2013, 10:15:12 am »

Razoract

6th Obsidian, 205

Wow. I haven't seen a semi-megabeast in a while. And I don't think I've ever seen a minotaur before.

Pages: 1 ... 2071 2072 [2073] 2074 2075 ... 3842