Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2070 2071 [2072] 2073 2074 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6096857 times)

Lielac

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:PEDANTRY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #31065 on: September 29, 2013, 04:16:41 am »

Sounds like he is well travelled, although, former king? A king only either stops being king because they died or became a night creature/necromancer. AFAIK, monarchs in worldgen don't abdicate or give up their crown and retire somewhere.

Vampire or not, sounds like his legends entry would be interesting.

Probably, yeah!

Oh, I got a jaguar and a wild boar from the elves. Then a giant kea mauled the jaguar. One slayrace later, NO MORE FECKING GIANT KEAS HUZZAAAAAAAH

EDIT:

Veilfigure

17th Obsidian, 204

... Oops.

Also, GODDAMN FUCKING GOBLIN SIEGES ENTIRELY MOUNTED ON GIANT BATS

I just went from 100+ dwarves to 1 in the space of three in-game weeks. Because I didn't have a roof. Stupid goddamn lousy dwarves--

Oh, and the one remaining dorf is 6 zs below the surface and wearing only a pair of mittens and a pair of shoes because his fragile dwarven brain snapped under the pressure of 20 of his friends dying and nearly a hundred more dwarves also dying. He's also slumming it with the 26 pigs I have. Seeing as it's late winter right now, I suspect an early Spring death date for Veilfigure. Whenever the fuck this guy dies, really.

Unless I lure the bats down with some pigs...

Edit2: WTF THE SIEGE BROKE

Edit3:

Time of death: 26th/27th Granite, 205

TIME FOR LEGENDS MODE
« Last Edit: September 29, 2013, 09:55:01 am by Lielac »

Lielac likes adamantine, magnetite, marble, the color olive green, battle axes, cats for their aloofness, dragons for their terrible majesty, women for their beauty, and the Oxford comma for its disambiguating properties. When possible, she prefers to consume pear cider and nectarines. She absolutely detests kobolds.

flabort

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a demilich, despite the 4e and 5e nerfs
    • View Profile
« Reply #31066 on: September 29, 2013, 10:05:16 am »

After my first embark with ravens (not the undead kind, though those are crabbing annoying too), I learned to always build a roof above your walls around your entrance. Still trying to get used to using a bridge as a door, though.
The Cyan Menace

Went away for a while, came back, went away for a while, and back for now.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #31067 on: September 29, 2013, 10:58:52 am »

One of the twelve year olds thinks she can escape corpse clearing duty by pretending picking up dead honey bees is the same as hauling an elf corpse.
Your parents cleaned up after themselves, so can you.
Give her some credit, no one wants to haul around a hippie elf.
It's a whole lot better than having to walk neck deep in Elf corpses though. Besides, if she wants to participate in the Fun, she has to also take on her responsibilities too.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

It's taken 15 years, but today R. Vabok Titans Dentedlashed had the honour of creating Silentthunders's first bar of soap.

Drilling a hole the size of a small Fortress all the way into the center of the Earth was easier than making a bar of soap.
Killing several necromancer sieges and attacks from Titans, Megabeasts and worse was easier than making a bar of soap.
Excavating and transporting mountainous piles of steel, tetrahedrite and adamantine from all cavern layers into the magma forges in the deepest depths was easier than making a bar of soap.
12% of all Dwarven members of The Roads of Justifying have died in the time it took to make one bar of soap.

This is my Fortress, this is my soap.

« Last Edit: September 29, 2013, 11:03:31 am by Loud Whispers »

Tharwen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31068 on: September 29, 2013, 11:26:38 am »

I'm in the middle of a ghost spiral. All the ghosts in my fort keep killing my dwarves, resulting in more ghosts, resulting in more batterings. The only thing I can do is spam coffins until it hopefully fixes itself.

Also, a lot of the corpses are destroyed or lost so I have to painstakingly work out which ones need memorials and craft them one by one.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2013, 11:32:41 am by Tharwen »
[Signature]

Stalker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31069 on: September 29, 2013, 11:35:34 am »

The only thing I can do is spam coffins until it hopefully fixes itself.
You can cheat, if you have dfhack: select a ghost an type 'tweak clear-ghostly', but it can destroy the FUN
A medium-sized creature prone to artifact hunting, radiation and general stupidity.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31070 on: September 29, 2013, 11:38:01 am »

Sounds like he is well travelled, although, former king? A king only either stops being king because they died or became a night creature/necromancer. AFAIK, monarchs in worldgen don't abdicate or give up their crown and retire somewhere.

Vampire or not, sounds like his legends entry would be interesting.

It says he was a slave so he was probably on the losing side of a war and got booted off his throne.

Tharwen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31071 on: September 29, 2013, 12:07:19 pm »

The only thing I can do is spam coffins until it hopefully fixes itself.
You can cheat, if you have dfhack: select a ghost an type 'tweak clear-ghostly', but it can destroy the FUN

I'm not really bothered enough to cheat. They're pretty much under control now - I got a big migrant wave to help out with the coffin-making and slab-carving.
[Signature]

flabort

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a demilich, despite the 4e and 5e nerfs
    • View Profile
« Reply #31072 on: September 29, 2013, 01:45:20 pm »

You bother with coffins? Must be at a later point then I ever got.  :P
Me, I slab indiscriminately, and throw all the bodies into stockpiles.

I will probably regret this if Necromancers ever siege.
The Cyan Menace

Went away for a while, came back, went away for a while, and back for now.

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31073 on: September 29, 2013, 01:59:34 pm »

You bother with coffins? Must be at a later point then I ever got.  :P
Me, I slab indiscriminately, and throw all the bodies into stockpiles.

I will probably regret this if Necromancers ever siege.

Oh you will.

You will.

YOU WILL.

YOU WILL.

Oh wait, no. I forgot.

They can raise the dead out of their coffins.

Disregard that.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #31074 on: September 29, 2013, 02:09:32 pm »

Burial receptacles have to be placed underground, usually this means they will automatically be gathered and placed somewhere out of sight from an invading army.

mirrizin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31075 on: September 29, 2013, 03:42:56 pm »

The project continues. The long axle is completely, power supply set up, screw pumps are within ten of a completely stack. The thing itself is carved out and smoothed, engraving in progress. Not long now...

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31076 on: September 29, 2013, 03:52:00 pm »

Coffins need to be placed 'inside' - a roof somewhere above the coffin is sufficient. I've built aboveground graveyards.

However, coffins keep the deceased happy and put corpses out of harm's way; you can build a bunch of coffins in chambers, and once a section is filled, just wall them off. No necromancer access, no restless dead, takes exactly as much place as memorialising everyone with slabs and requires no extra corpse processing.

Hmm, @Loud Whispers - if you're annoyed with a dwarf picking up dead honeybees, why not disallow remains on refuse stockpiles or toggle the relevant refuse option to 'dwarves ignore remains'?
When keeping bees, i generally do that, because otherwise my haulers would spend a large part of their time sweeping up dead bees.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #31077 on: September 29, 2013, 04:34:52 pm »

Hmm, @Loud Whispers - if you're annoyed with a dwarf picking up dead honeybees, why not disallow remains on refuse stockpiles or toggle the relevant refuse option to 'dwarves ignore remains'?
When keeping bees, i generally do that, because otherwise my haulers would spend a large part of their time sweeping up dead bees.
I'm annoyed that she wanted to pick up dead honeybees when she should have been clearing corpses like all the other young Dorfs. However, bee picking is still an important job - they get clogged in the doors otherwise. It's all about them priorities. One rots, the other doesn't - both need to go.

Still unsure about how to get those to go. Two blind cave ogres decided to give themselves to the zombie horde, because obviously they needed more corpses.

*EDIT
I will never underestimate Blind Cave Ogres again. Truly heroic. A third Ogre arrived and they fought their way through.

Three ogres against 80 undead, fallen Cave Spiders, Crocodiles and even Forgotten Beasts in their number. One Ogre was left behind, soon to die - the other two may survive. One even got a name, and now is called Crowserpent. Chances are though, they will soon succumb to their injuries. The only exit is either through the undead - or perhaps what I dread the most; the surface.
I may actually send an expedition to try and save at least one of the Ogres, goad them into the traps. A worthwhile detour from the usual grind of construction overseeing.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2013, 04:53:43 pm by Loud Whispers »

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31078 on: September 29, 2013, 08:45:17 pm »

Seems like the elves finally got the hint and brought a whole lot of animals to trade with, along with a tigerman clothier, wut.....

Still going to emancipate that tigerman. I also have another tigerman, but he came as a no-skilled peasant, though it doesn't actually say that he is a peasant. Too bad I can't put them to work.

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31079 on: September 30, 2013, 06:14:10 am »

Welp, seems like colliding minecarts doesn't have much FUN potential:
i scienced around a bit and as far as i can tell the rules are:
- if a moving cart bumps into a standing cart, it 'transmits' its impulse to the bumped cart and comes to a stop.
- if two moving carts collide, the first-built cart transmits its _non-zero_ impulses (probably listed separately for the three dimensions) to the 'younger' cart and stops where it is.

points in case:
two diagonally-moving carts, one going NE, one SE. If the 'younger' cart is the one going NE, it will move away straight SE, eastward and southward speeds appear to be exactly those of the 'older' cart; its own northward impulse is lost without a trace. Swapping the carts sees the younger one (coming in on a SE heading) going away towards the NE.

Two carts started simultaneously (dropped through hatches onto ramps) and accelerated to a bit over 200k by 30ish ramps collide on a ramp which one is passing going north, the other going east. The 'younger' cart (started going north) flies off NE while the older stops and falls back down the launch ramp. The launched cart's ascent and northward speed are the same as for a north-going cart without the collision, with the collision it just gets an additional eastward impulse. Interestingly, the eastward speed was a fair bit higher than the northward speed (16 tiles north vs. 23 east?), more than the weight difference between chestnut and highwood should be able to explain, and the path and thus speed difference should be minimal...

Taking those same two carts and bashing them against each other in a frontal collision on an E-W track:
the older cart stops dead, the younger cart zips away from the collision site. I swapped the carts around once to make sure it wasn't just path weirdness, and when the 'younger' cart came from the west, it went off to the west, and when it came from the east, it was propelled away to the east as well, so it's certainly 'build order'. In both cases, the impulse the younger cart brought to the meeting got dropped entirely.

Relative cart weight has an influence, but i'll have to go build a different rig to see if a heavy 'push' cart can significantly increase the speed of the pushed cart. With the long ramp i've used, the input speed was too high to really verify possible further speed increases. I could only observe that it worked the other way 'round: a wooden cart will only impart very little speed on a brass cart. Little surprise there.

Edit: well, of course bumping different-weight carts into each other can only reduce, not increase speed: throwing a wooden cart at a fifteen times as heavy brass cart imparts only a small fraction of the wooden cart's speed, bumping a billon cart into a wooden cart with a highest-speed roller only accelerates the wooden cart to max roller speed, no more. Meh.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2013, 06:24:30 am by Larix »
Pages: 1 ... 2070 2071 [2072] 2073 2074 ... 3842