Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2072 2073 [2074] 2075 2076 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6096735 times)

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #31095 on: October 01, 2013, 10:40:37 am »

Depending how successful they are at breeding (even dragons breed during worldgen) and how long a worldgen you run, they're somewhat common.

SilverSynch

• Bay Watcher
  • The Inconcivable
    • View Profile
« Reply #31096 on: October 01, 2013, 11:33:40 am »

I was having problems with a mandate of chairs, as I had most of my doors and walls blown apart by a building destroyer, and I couldn't leave them open.

Some time later I see "The Mandate of Urist McChairs has ended!" Yay! Let's go see the mayor!

Wait, where is he?

*Checks logs, no deaths, no nothi- WAIT SOMEONE GOT A FELL MOOD*

Guess what happened to the mayor?

My new Bonecarver turned him into a chair, adorned with lovely images of the now-chaired mayor being attacked by bats (his least favorite thing.)

I took out the original chair in the office and placed this one there as a warning to the next bastard.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31097 on: October 01, 2013, 11:38:32 am »

I was having problems with a mandate of chairs, as I had most of my doors and walls blown apart by a building destroyer, and I couldn't leave them open.

Some time later I see "The Mandate of Urist McChairs has ended!" Yay! Let's go see the mayor!

Wait, where is he?

*Checks logs, no deaths, no nothi- WAIT SOMEONE GOT A FELL MOOD*

Guess what happened to the mayor?

My new Bonecarver turned him into a chair, adorned with lovely images of the now-chaired mayor being attacked by bats (his least favorite thing.)

I took out the original chair in the office and placed this one there as a warning to the next bastard.

Wow, talk about irony XD

I love DF for this kind of thing, it seems to have sapient emergent behavior when you least expect it.

Finished walling off the top of the magma tube which is in the first cavern layer (got delayed a bit when an ambush, well, ambushed, the dwarven caravan and a quick cleanup). Now, I'm trying to decide whether to use the top of the magma pipe which is right next to the main stairwell for the forges or tap into the surface volcano and place the forges further up.

Also, earlier a dragon came which roasted the dogs, however since the smoke (or maybe fire, despite it being a DRAGON) blocked the pathway into the fort, the thing decided to path onto the roof where it roasted two cats and melted most of the bridges I used for roofing. While it did scare the crap out of the dwarves below, it didn't actually kill any since once the dogs on fire burned out, it pathed through the entrance and into a cage trap.

Since I had killed the goblins general who brought the flying mounts long ago and the most dangerous flying thing around this embark have been ravens, I haven't bothered to fix the roof while I was walling off the magma pipe. Well, there WERE vultures but they're more of an annoyance and I haven't seen them around in a while, not sure if I locally extincted them or if the ravens just keep taking up the wildlife slot.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2013, 12:35:07 pm by smjjames »

Pinstar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31098 on: October 01, 2013, 01:15:36 pm »

On a seaside hot biome, desperately looking for the caverns. I don't care which layer at this point. I need some fresh water and I need those floor fungus/subterranean tree spores as I have limited amounts of trees to chop down and lots of hungry livestock.

I also noted that the two biomes (part tropical ocean and part tropical shrubland) both listed metal. So far I've hit...zinc and lead ore. I'm hoping that isn't the extent of my 'metals' listed on embark.

At least I found cobalt to make pretty blue walls with!

Togre

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31099 on: October 01, 2013, 02:21:44 pm »

A bunch of firsts for me.  My first vampire (Bitey McSucker) claimed his first victim (only a jewler, yay!) and I administered my first real !!JUSTICE!!.  The sherriff punched out his back teeth!  If he had knocked out the front ones, that would have solved the problem.
"Hey guys, you know how I've been repeatedly injuring you over and over again for the purpose of training up a team of high skilled doctors? Yeah well we didn't actually need to do that."

Shininglight

• Bay Watcher
  • Hi There
    • View Profile
« Reply #31100 on: October 01, 2013, 03:19:10 pm »

Dealing with a booze and plant shortage in WiltSeals, i have my Main Entrance KillZone dug now, bedroom digging is entering full swing and my forges are up and running, still i'm low on wood and booze as i had to dig my farms WAAAAAAAAAY away from the main stockpile, in an effort to alleviate the long lag for supplies i'm making my first attempt at setting up a minecart track, one that switches directions between z-levels at that. I can only hope i've set it up right, screenshots may be added soon.
tl;dr: My fortress is literally powered by puppy skulls.

Shininglight

• Bay Watcher
  • Hi There
    • View Profile
« Reply #31101 on: October 01, 2013, 03:31:14 pm »

Dealing with a booze and plant shortage in WiltSeals, i have my Main Entrance KillZone dug now, bedroom digging is entering full swing and my forges are up and running, still i'm low on wood and booze as i had to dig my farms WAAAAAAAAAY away from the main stockpile, in an effort to alleviate the long lag for supplies i'm making my first attempt at setting up a minecart track, one that switches directions between z-levels at that. I can only hope i've set it up right, screenshots may be added soon.

Screens: Entrance Level:

Screens: Workshop/ Farm level
tl;dr: My fortress is literally powered by puppy skulls.

flabort

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a demilich, despite the 4e and 5e nerfs
    • View Profile
« Reply #31102 on: October 01, 2013, 05:16:04 pm »

A yak just killed the berserk miner (failed mood) who was chasing everyone 'round with his pickaxe. However, I'm pretty sure he's directly underneath the resurrection zone, so I'll have a second zombie inside my halls...
Where did the first one come from? Oh, the miner killed a hauler where I'd been mining coal. Which is, you guessed it, underneath the wrong biome.
So I'm putting cage traps in my quarries, and everywhere else where the zombies might spawn.

...Can zombies be cage trapped?
The Cyan Menace

Went away for a while, came back, went away for a while, and back for now.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #31103 on: October 01, 2013, 05:20:23 pm »

...Can zombies be cage trapped?
Only trapavoid zombies can waltz past them. You'll be fine, at least till you run out of cages.

mirrizin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31104 on: October 01, 2013, 09:37:28 pm »

So, forgotten beast emerged from cavern #2. Sent the dwarves below, sent the troops to the usual intercept point...wait, what?

It was a big fat pterasaur with poisonous blood. Flying up the stinking garbage chute!

Redirect the military! Seal the inner gate! The gate retracted because I had never checked the darned thing since it was built! Nooooo!!!!

It popped up, military intercepted, beat it to a pulp.

Back to work, Worksack. 

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #31105 on: October 01, 2013, 10:44:38 pm »

I lost a couple of dwarves today due to a pair of ambushes by kobold bowman squads. One of them was a civilian who made a good target. The other was a legendary macedwarf, Ezum Inkedwhips the Reticent Cyclone of Spring (at least I think that's what her title was), who was tragically crushed under a drawbridge I was trying to get opened at the time. And she won't even be missed by anyone besides her pet cat: she only had five relationships total, all of which were passing acquaintances. No friends, no family, nothing. At least she took a minimum of that number of our enemies to the grave with her. She will receive an awesome slab...

Half a dozen kobold thieves accompanied and complicated the ambushes. One of them was trying to run off with a pair of trousers. Really? that's the most valuable thing you could get your hands on before getting butchered? I hope your little kobold thief gods are proud of you in your afterlife.

[edit]

Yet another thief was caught, this one trying to run off with a ☼144 cloak belonging to one of our rangers. They were stopped short of escape by one of the human caravan's guards, but not before suspending the construction of every single building I had designated.

[double edit]

And again, another thief was discovered trying to make off with some of our oh-so-valuable clothing. She died tragically from suffocation after a human caravan guard shoved her off our trap bridge into the deep pit below, breaking her spine in two places. Both of which were very important to her lungs.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2013, 11:04:42 pm by Eric Blank »
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

malimbar04

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31106 on: October 02, 2013, 02:12:31 am »

So I'm looking at my 3 legendary but poorly equipped sword dwarves (bronze sword, wood shield, two have bronze helm, and one has bronze breastplate). And then I'm looking at the 5 necromancers waltzing around my outside. Ah, what the hell. Armoks beard lets see what happens. I push them out an airlock and order them to kill a necromancer.

Injuries on my part: 1 dwarf with a fractured right upper leg that can no longer stand. 1 dwarf with a broken foot (plus toes) that thinks he has no problems.
Edit: the broken foot is actually a training accident from my wrestlers.
Injuries on their part: 62 + 85 + 72 undead kills. Necromancers flee.

I also now have 3 named bronze short swords and 2 named wooden shields. Also, I need to make a quick hospital for the medics to get to work.

Overall success I say.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2013, 02:14:50 am by malimbar04 »
No! No! I will not massacre my children. Instead, I'll make them corpulent on crappy mass-produced quarry bush biscuits and questionably grown mushroom alcohol, and then send them into the military when they turn 12...

Snaake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31107 on: October 02, 2013, 05:54:20 am »

On a seaside hot biome, desperately looking for the caverns. I don't care which layer at this point. I need some fresh water and I need those floor fungus/subterranean tree spores as I have limited amounts of trees to chop down and lots of hungry livestock.

I also noted that the two biomes (part tropical ocean and part tropical shrubland) both listed metal. So far I've hit...zinc and lead ore. I'm hoping that isn't the extent of my 'metals' listed on embark.

At least I found cobalt to make pretty blue walls with!

Pumps will desalinate water. And in my experience, the site finder is exact about it's plurals. If both biomes listed only 1 of shallow/deep metal, you've got your 2 metals. If one of them had both a shallow and deep metal, or the plural "metals" was used anywhere, you've still got a chance. Unless both biomes or both shallow/deep were zinc/lead ;)

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31108 on: October 02, 2013, 06:19:12 am »

Evidently I have a very grim civilization. I had some copper coins minted because why not, and the symbol of the civ, The Sepia Palisade, is two skeletal humans. Lovely.Also I have no idea how but the dark stranglers actually outlasted the frogmen and blendecs in world gen. I woulda thought that the blendecs would have beat them both...

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31109 on: October 02, 2013, 01:35:59 pm »

Started a new masterwork fort (circumstance has caused the loss of both Granitebulwark and The Bastion) and Armok actually saved someone. A farmworker rushed to save a kid on the cusp of adulthood who wanted plant fiber cloth, making both the totem and building the shrine he used to pray for a gift of cotton cloth. ON the third try, Armok answered our prayers and saved the boy's life as he would have lost his shit otherwise and it would have been a waste of a soon-to-be worker.

Our archaeologist also feverishly chiseled and hammered the dirt and compressed brick off of a large rock that held a glint of iron, and expecting a simple cache of rusting iron and steel weaponry or armor, instead discovered a long buried Guardian of Armok. We've also ben gifted with two members of the dwarven academy of magic, specifically a wavekin and pyromancer. Now if we could just get some freakin' platinum to research the needed things for founding a local academy...

EDIT: Though I hit edit on my last post. Sorry 'bout that.
Pages: 1 ... 2072 2073 [2074] 2075 2076 ... 3842