Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1719 1720 [1721] 1722 1723 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6127630 times)

Varnifane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #25800 on: September 30, 2012, 03:23:41 am »

Spent an hour and a half laying out where the different parts of the fort are going to be. Dante's Gate. The road of skulls. The king's castle. The pump stacks, the reservoirs, the candy mining access points, the magma forge complex, the masonish temple, the mine cart paths, the castle, the five pillars of dwarfdom, dante's gate, the road of skull and the king's castle.

24th Limestone, 6

Got the magma forge complex dug out. Lost a dwarf to magma. In my defense he looked faster than he was. Cut down a shit-ton of trees for various reasons. Mined out two different magnetite deposits. Making big disks for trade. Trader should be along any time now. Once word of our awesomeness gets out we will get huge migrant waves. Yes!
I regret to inform the community that the mass murder of puppies does not create a viable clock.
I don't know if you need other ideas when you have magma.

Madventurer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25801 on: September 30, 2012, 03:33:26 am »

Everyone's dying and my miner went berserk.
He was locked into a chamber with couple more dwarves, and killed them all.
Then he got a name.
Kolad Enteredposted the Depressed Tragedies
Then he made grudge wit about 20 other dwarfs (still don't know why - perhaps they were stealing his chair).

MightyDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25802 on: September 30, 2012, 03:40:49 am »

If badger sows are nasty, giant badger sows are riders of apocalypse. My whole team of 4 urist mc carpenter ended rip apart in a second. Oh snap. :o >:(

Tamber

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • FurryHelix
« Reply #25803 on: September 30, 2012, 05:09:26 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

And, despite that, the mace-lutin kept smashing the Minotaur everywhere he could reach, with his +iron mace+, until backup arrived.

He shall be getting a nice room, because I'm in a good mood; and because the imaginati-o-vision turned this awesome. Of course, if he'd waited for the rest of the military to arrive, then he wouldn't have been taking on a Minotaur alone, and probably wouldn't have been as badly broken; but still, good show!

[...]
His left knee is broken. His lower spine is broken.
[...]
he has poor analytical abilities, very bad intuition, little patience and a lack of understanding of social relationships.
[...]
He often greets others with a hug

Well, that might explain a few things; but someone should tell him that one normally doesn't hug things with a mace. ...then again, if he'd tried wrestling it, I don't think there'd be enough left to bury.

Edit: For some reason, he decided to go wandering outside again; and discovered a squad of bowgoblins waiting in ambush. The military couldn't get to that end of the map quickly enough, and he was turned into a pincushion.

He has been avenged.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2012, 05:44:04 am by Tamber »
I see !!elves!! of green, and red !!magma!! too; I see them burn for me and you; and I think to myself, what a wonderful world...

Stil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25804 on: September 30, 2012, 08:18:27 am »

Been hiding in my fort ever since 50 undead turned up. Just had a goblin ambush arrive - they are now dispatching zombies, thanks greenskins :)
"This in particular, simply because it's so siggable." Ironyowl

lordofthenothing

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25805 on: September 30, 2012, 08:33:10 am »

After awhile when playing on a new fortress...

Schist, schist everywhere.

Oaktree

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25806 on: September 30, 2012, 10:09:21 am »

Goblins appear to be avoiding Waterspear in terms of sending sieges.  Lost a dwarf to a combination snatcher/ambush.  (He ran away from the encountered snatcher towards the outer works and smack into a pike and spear unit of goblins.)  Said goblins and their crossbow-bearing backups soon followed him into the thereafter - they got hit by five legendary melee dwarves while a group of elite marksdwarves fletched goblins from the battlements.  One goblin squad leader got gutted, de-limbed, and head-shotted by three different dwarves at roughly the same moment.  And the lower half of a goblin snatcher was golfed over a wall and about six tiles away.

A kobold dodged an attack into the south defense ditch.  And found out that the fortress has placed a few giant bark scorpions acquired from the elves there.  They stung him up while he was still stunned from the fall. 

A few more migrant groups turned up as well.  Population is 225 and has been housed, clothed, and assigned to squads for military training. 

Construction has been completed for breaching the circus.  A few more preparations and then the fort pretty much seals up topside projects and goes to work expanding downward!
Armorer McUrist cancels forge steel mailshirt, interrupted by minecart

DiezIrae

• Bay Watcher
  • From the depth of thy soul I cometh...
    • View Profile
« Reply #25807 on: September 30, 2012, 10:33:13 am »

I'm trying to copy project "Fuck The World", I don't have any elephants, but let me tell you; I will flood that damn human village with Magma! Hail the greatness of 'Embark Anywhere'! And if that fails, I will just make a Necromancer tower collapse on itself!

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #25808 on: September 30, 2012, 11:49:02 am »

Everyone's dying and my miner went berserk.
He was locked into a chamber with couple more dwarves, and killed them all.
Then he got a name.
Kolad Enteredposted the Depressed Tragedies

Ok, I giggled.  That's pretty hilarious.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Clover Magic

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOCTURNAL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #25809 on: September 30, 2012, 12:22:02 pm »

Okay, found the problem with the rampant frostbite deaths.

Protip: Always check your modded material temperatures, kids, so you aren't possibly giving your civ clothes made out of a material that can and will freeze their asses off, literally.

krisslanza

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25810 on: September 30, 2012, 12:54:51 pm »

Embarked on a volcano area, that was easy enough to use. When I tapped it, I melted my miner. Oops. Well... I guess that's how I tap volcanoes now anyway...

SixOfSpades

• Bay Watcher
  • likes flesh balls for their calming roundness
    • View Profile
« Reply #25811 on: September 30, 2012, 06:56:33 pm »

Short version: A warrior ran in the right direction.

Long version: Two raccoons were butting up against my north gate, *bonk* wanna get in, *bonk* wanna get in. The human caravan arrives near the north gate, frightening the raccoons away. Pretty much simultaneously, some goblin ambushes spawn--one is near the west gate, and they run inside & immediately dogpile into my cage traps, except for one Macegoblin, who sits down & starts reading "Opening Cage Traps for Dummies." A Human pikeman chases the raccoons around the map until they reach the west gate. "Yay," think the raccoons, "Thread! Gems! Socks!" until they, too, get sucked into the traps. The Pikeman chases them in, and finds himself face-to-face with the macegoblin. The goblin is no match for him and he inflicts grievous non-lethal wounds. Just then, another ambush party appears in the same hallway, forcing the Pikeman to fight off odds of 5 to 1. He dodges, he rolls, he jumps out of the way, always in the right direction: Away from the goblins, toward his friends at the trade depot, and most importantly, through more cage traps. In the end, he took several cuts to his limbs, and though he lost a motor nerve in his left arm and several nerves in his right foot, he successfully baited the goblins right through the traps, instead of doing what a dorf would do: Berserk attack until slain.

And dammit, I can't make a slab to commemmorate this event, because he's not a citizen, he didn't die, and he didn't kill anyone.
Dwarf Fortress -- kind of like Minecraft, but for people who hate themselves.

Imp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25812 on: September 30, 2012, 07:30:53 pm »

Short version: A warrior ran in the right direction.

Long version: Two raccoons were butting up against my north gate, *bonk* wanna get in, *bonk* wanna get in. The human caravan arrives near the north gate, frightening the raccoons away. Pretty much simultaneously, some goblin ambushes spawn--one is near the west gate, and they run inside & immediately dogpile into my cage traps, except for one Macegoblin, who sits down & starts reading "Opening Cage Traps for Dummies." A Human pikeman chases the raccoons around the map until they reach the west gate. "Yay," think the raccoons, "Thread! Gems! Socks!" until they, too, get sucked into the traps. The Pikeman chases them in, and finds himself face-to-face with the macegoblin. The goblin is no match for him and he inflicts grievous non-lethal wounds. Just then, another ambush party appears in the same hallway, forcing the Pikeman to fight off odds of 5 to 1. He dodges, he rolls, he jumps out of the way, always in the right direction: Away from the goblins, toward his friends at the trade depot, and most importantly, through more cage traps. In the end, he took several cuts to his limbs, and though he lost a motor nerve in his left arm and several nerves in his right foot, he successfully baited the goblins right through the traps, instead of doing what a dorf would do: Berserk attack until slain.

And dammit, I can't make a slab to commemmorate this event, because he's not a citizen, he didn't die, and he didn't kill anyone.

Re your inability to have the dwarves make a slab to commemmorate this:  I blame it on their world view.  You have to be able to both percieve and comprehend a strategy to realize that it's genious (or even recognize that it's effective); to the dwarves what that Pikeman did was nothing short of inept lunacy; both his survival and the goblins' downfall during his actions was random and clearly unconnected to his meaningless and aberrant behaviour.  Truly meaningless - he's not a citizen, he didn't die, and he didn't kill anyone.  Truly abberrant - no dwarf would ever intend to do what he did - he either was awesomely clumsy even for a coward scrabbling to escape, or doing things for reasons no dwarf would ever consider a goal.

As if, in real life, a vagrant as he passed through town went out by the town gate and worked very hard on a 'raindance' while clouds already filled the sky.  Most people won't seriously credit the vagrant with having anything to do with the following storm - as far as our worldview goes, there's no meaningful connection between raindances and rain, especially when the storm's already starting.  So too our dwarves, to kill an enemy you charge them, nothing else has anything to do with defeating enemies.
For every trouble under the sun, there is an answer, or there is none.
If there is one, then seek until you find it.
If there is none, then never ever mind it.

Eisenritter

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25813 on: September 30, 2012, 08:05:14 pm »

New embark.  Dwarves apparently dislike building walls.  Hope they like eating sand...

MadocComadrin

• Bay Watcher
  • A mysterious laboratory goblin!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25814 on: September 30, 2012, 09:22:19 pm »

I've noticed over the past few forts, my ability to make certain items of clothing has disappeared. One fort ago, tunics wouldn't show up in the job list; now shirts aren't showing up either. I'm stuck with dresses, coats and robes now. I dread the day trousers disappear.
Pages: 1 ... 1719 1720 [1721] 1722 1723 ... 3842