Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1718 1719 [1720] 1721 1722 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6127636 times)

birdy51

• Bay Watcher
  • Always be Beeping
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #25785 on: September 29, 2012, 01:27:39 pm »

My cold mountain fortress is in the process of running out of both booze and food because I cannot get my farm fields together. Water is a bit of a chance to get, as I only have an underwater cavern to choose from. A Forgotten Beast turtle monster with poisonous fangs attacked from that cavern, but my dwarves were quick to  respond with deadly force. Nothing has gone terrible yet as I am sure to grab nearly every stock of food and booze that is delivered by my good friends the merchants.

However, where I placed my fort is rather badass. It's situated on the edge of a frozen waterfall/ frozen river valley. To make it even cooler, it's on a T junction, forming essentially three interconnected valleys. I'm going to have bridges connect section to section and try to make each little burrow self-sustaining, that way if I become attacked I'm not entirely crippled to death if I begin to lose. Besides that, it looks pretty awesome to have random bridges all over the chasm.
BIRDS.

Also started a Let's Play, Yu-Gi-Oh! Duelists of the Roses

Clover Magic

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOCTURNAL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #25786 on: September 29, 2012, 04:38:48 pm »

I've never seen a frostbitten pancreas before.  And this is after an increase in skin insulation!  Poor guy can't walk right now, but he keeps working.  Watching him crawl slowly to the wall to mine it is kind of sad.

Migrants arrived to our freezing hole in the ground.  They all got fevers from the fetid slime, but at least they didn't track through the horrid ooze, which as far as I can tell apparently causes blistering or something else everywhere.  Lots of penguins wandering around with pus spatters on their brains and hearts...not sure what it would do to a fort member.

I forgot to bring an axe, so work is being done on metalworks.  Now that I think about it, I should have used one of the wagon logs for a training axe, but eh.  Hindsight and all that.  We'll have to denude the caverns of wood since there's none on the surface.  We're not going to be testing the sawmill anytime soon, that's for sure.

SO far only one has died though, the idiot who somehow froze to death underground.  No burial for you.

Blucher

• Bay Watcher
  • Had a fine beer lately.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25787 on: September 29, 2012, 05:44:28 pm »

My cloak-loving mayor just imprisoned her husband for violation of production order. :-)

darkgloomie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25788 on: September 29, 2012, 05:53:05 pm »

Latest elven caravan arrived. i was feeling charitable, since they always seem to leave in a huff for a reason or another (once, they left in the middle of a siege. Another they went to meet the latest ambush, and such and such).

'cept I accidentally slipped them some wood. And they were, as usual "wtf? no wai! u jerk!". At which point I seized all their cloth bins and seed bags and sand bags.

I just wish I could use some of that *<<rope reed rope>>* I'm gonna make to strangle the whole of them to death >.<

Clover Magic

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOCTURNAL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #25789 on: September 29, 2012, 06:55:12 pm »

Migrants walked through the horrid ooze.

There's blood and pus all over the meeting hall but there isn't any wounds or blisters.

I don't know what's going on!

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25790 on: September 29, 2012, 06:56:34 pm »

If they have no wounds, it may be a fast acting syndrome and some blood vomitting. Or those syndromes don't show up as wounds.

Clover Magic

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOCTURNAL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #25791 on: September 29, 2012, 07:08:27 pm »

I figured blood-vomiting was the most likely culprit, but I have no idea what's causing the pus.  Unless the syndrome is just making every body part spontaneously produce it.

It was a shitty migrant wave too - a married couple and four of their nine children.  Why the hell anyone would bring their kids to a fort that's literally in the far southwest frigid corner of the map surrounded by evil, I have no idea.  There are obviously some very skilled Liars in the travel agencies back home - "Come to Herogods and see the beauty of the frozen Arctic!  Check out our (penguin-pus-covered) frozen ocean!  Admire the landscape painted in glorious red, purple, and green!  (Warning: The High Moral takes no responsibility for any resulting injuries from said colors)"

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25792 on: September 29, 2012, 07:14:16 pm »

Well I lived in a less threatening glaicer that had the same issue. The place got the majority of it's booze as imports for years and it's only exports were bone trinkets. The ONLY benefits to moving there were a guarenteed apartment for your and your family members and food. booze and water were maybes at best, and clothing was all coated in frozen blood. Hell I had nearly 20ish kids come to the fort and most of them grew up and became bolt/trade good carvers.

Wrex

• Bay Watcher
  • My vision is augmented
    • View Profile
« Reply #25793 on: September 29, 2012, 08:41:53 pm »

I just accidently werewolfed my whole fort. Ack.

Mr Wrex, please do not eat my liver.

OREOSOME

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25794 on: September 29, 2012, 08:42:59 pm »

Starvation deaths of my entire team i had building a cave system.
Ow! How the fuck do eldritch abominations bitchslap people?
With our pimp tentacles, obviously.

Clover Magic

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOCTURNAL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #25795 on: September 29, 2012, 08:45:39 pm »

Well there goes my medic.  Apparently he decided it was way too cold and that magma was nice and warm and stood there staring at it after he carved the fortification.  He will be missed.

There is blood all over the fort now.  There is an especially long line heading for the well.

Edit: And just now a caravan guard bit it from frost-bitten internal organs.  "His heart is frost-bitten."  Also his lungs and every single rib.

How their internal organs are getting frozen but everything else remains fine is a mystery.

Son of the edit:  Oh hell, the merchants are dying!!  Fuck this frostbite!  Why are the clothed and insulated genomes getting it fucking everywhere but the pack animals are just fine?  IDGI.  Screw you merchants, I'm locking you in and stealing your stuff.  I need it!
« Last Edit: September 29, 2012, 09:03:16 pm by Clover Magic »

Urist McWhovian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25796 on: September 29, 2012, 11:06:55 pm »

Awesome!! I just embarked to a site that had a ☼ symbol on it, and I arrive and there are, like, three dead elves and a bunch of random items scattered on the map. So cool!!  :D

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #25797 on: September 29, 2012, 11:11:18 pm »

Awesome!! I just embarked to a site that had a ☼ symbol on it, and I arrive and there are, like, three dead elves and a bunch of random items scattered on the map. So cool!!  :D
Bandit Camp.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Eisenritter

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25798 on: September 29, 2012, 11:33:19 pm »

Thought I'd join just to report this idiocy:  Had some FUN involving dorfs who refused to (or were just incapable of) climbing up a channeled corridor to obtain food and drink.  Both my miners died of thirst within minutes of embark before I could figure out what happened.  :-\

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25799 on: September 29, 2012, 11:37:58 pm »

A fourth monsterous beetle has arrived and cavern work is proceeding well, if slowly. Moar bigass bitey things! MOAR!
Pages: 1 ... 1718 1719 [1720] 1721 1722 ... 3842