Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1721 1722 [1723] 1724 1725 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6127405 times)

Mageziya

• Bay Watcher
  • OH NO, EVERYTHING'S DEAD!
    • View Profile
    • Derp
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #25830 on: October 01, 2012, 09:59:16 pm »

I PIERCED THAT DAMN AQUIFER! FINAAAAALY!

Sooo, I tried taking advantage of the cold first month, but ultimately it just hindered me. Cold Dirty Plug = WTFBBQ ICE CAVEINS AHHHHH. Freeze Through = STOP BECOMING ONE WITH THE ICE, or dumkompf carpenters. So instead, I set up a dirty plug, and then waited till everything thawed. I simply then let it go, and It worked....but there was a thin layer of water over my plug. 1/7 layer..... So I simply performed a poor-man's atom smash by building a wood-floor over all of it. It worked, I removed the floor over where I wanted the stairs, and SWEET SUCCESS!

I hope there's fucking hematite or something here. Feather-wood and sword-bearing horses are half the reason I came here.
Every dwarf, every dwarven man, women, and child, that comes to our forts will die there; it's truly sad when you think about it. And we ask our selves, why? Why do we push forward, knowing this fate, that we are destined for failure? Because, this game grasps the concept of mortality. Some games you can never lose, but we all stop eventually, causing a 'death' to those game's 'worlds'. Dwarf Fortress gives us a definite end, knowing that we will leave that world eventually, and move on to more.

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25831 on: October 01, 2012, 10:31:50 pm »

Heh, I love it when my hunters uncover lurking kobolds. Imagine the looks on their faces when they see a dorf armed with a crossbow suddenly stumble upon them and pepper them with bolts
This fort really does sit on the event horizon of madness and catastrophe
No. I suppose there are similarities, but I'm fairly certain angry birds doesn't let me charge into a battalion of knights with a car made of circular saws.

NESgamer190

• Bay Watcher
  • Crundle hugger
    • View Profile
« Reply #25832 on: October 01, 2012, 10:43:31 pm »

LanceTomes is holding up kinda poorly...
No matter how much I farm and how much I try, I seem to always run outta non-meal foods or drink.  Right now, the fort's on a drought of beer, and the dwarves are slowin' down now.  Also of note is the kinda shameful failure of an execution pit for the three goblin thieves I caught in cages along with two troglodytes.  They fell on the spikes down 7 z-levels as planned, but didn't die as planned.  Well, at least I had the 10 copper disk trap guarding the ONLY way out of the shaft of spikes.  Have fun with that, Lancetomes prisoners...  Ahh well, if I was being a sadist, I'd have succeeded in inflicting a great amount of hurt on the prisoners, yet not killing them.  (I did mop up with the military on the first two failed executions.  Didn't want Gobbo McThief shafting Urist McCitizen with a silver dagger.  Planning to continue on with the volcanic fort by the ocean, hopefully with a better front door guard after 2 ambushes right in a row.  (Archers and swordblins)

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25833 on: October 02, 2012, 02:12:25 am »

Blarg Lashcrystalsfell to a single ambush due to my only defense being a single swordsdorf squad...that was at adequate AT THE MOST(NO Dorf out of the 80 or so that migrated had any military, so...). Note to self: route entance so that I can trap it without blocking taders
No. I suppose there are similarities, but I'm fairly certain angry birds doesn't let me charge into a battalion of knights with a car made of circular saws.

MaxZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Doot doodoo de doo
    • View Profile
« Reply #25834 on: October 02, 2012, 11:51:20 am »

Pigging hell, he was one of my best. That is beyond feeble. Someone else can have his tomb, A peasants grave for a peasants death

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25835 on: October 02, 2012, 03:29:06 pm »

Heh, my new fort breachlabored just acquired some pretty beefy backup in the form of a cave croc that tried to bumrush a fishery worker hauling a freshly caught trog back to the stockpile. He managed to dodge long enough for the croc to get caught in the traps behind him in the corridor leading back up to my staircase. Best part? It's a female croc, so I only have to get a male and I'll be set when I get 40 of the buggers to hatch...then war crocs, HO!

Clover Magic

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOCTURNAL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #25836 on: October 02, 2012, 04:42:15 pm »

Considering we get a swarm of like ten every month, Shadowknife has now started a thriving raven training industry.  It only took us two waves of ravens to achieve general familiarity.  Our first trained hatchlings have hatched, so we're on the way to domestication.

We've also caught a herd of reindeer, a giant snowy owl, and a polar bear.  We're now trapping the caverns, the first cavern has a giant cave spider that keeps popping in and out of view and I have to get it.  The second cavern is off-limits due to an FB wandering around.

My doctor died - I accidentally sealed him out into the third cavern.  Didn't even notice until I got a popup about his pet chocobo becoming a stray again.  It would be nice if Toady had implemented the whole "goes missing if hasn't been seen in a while" thing because then I would have noticed I'd sealed him into the caverns a lot faster and probably in enough time to save him.  As it was, I only got the "has been missing for a week" after he died, which was about an entire damn season or so after he was sealed in the caverns and so was useless.  I gave him a blinged-out gold tomb in apology, I might cage his former pet chocobo in there too.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #25837 on: October 02, 2012, 05:24:50 pm »

My nurse/gem cutter just dragged to bed one of my miners. Her job was listed as "recover wounded" of course. The miner was completely uninjured and immediately got back up, but the nurse had been chasing him for a long time, so I'm not sure what her idea was.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Mageziya

• Bay Watcher
  • OH NO, EVERYTHING'S DEAD!
    • View Profile
    • Derp
« Reply #25838 on: October 02, 2012, 05:54:07 pm »

DF physics confuse me. So the aquifer I have is 2 layers, apparently (Yay, savescum.). But the stairwell is completely dry. So a 2 z-level thick dirty plug will afflict the area below a one z-level thick drop pond. The resulting plug, even if it converts to the same material as the z-level, will be dry. If this was afflicted by the fact I made the drop pond one tile too large, all around, I do not know.

Some ~Science~ needs to be done on this.

In other news, this fort Malachite, which, hopefully, will provide me just enough to survive until I get proper steel equipment (This is if there is no iron hiding under my nose). I do like the green, however.

DERPADERPAUPDATE: So I should of looked harder when I pierced the caverns by accident the first time, Magnetite! YES, THE SUPER ORE OF IRON. There is plenty of flux, lots of trees, a Mirthful enviroment, and an aquifer (Which is useful once you actually breach the damn thing.) ARMOK HAVE MERCY ON MY ENEMIES! MWUAAAAAAAHAAAAAH! YES!
« Last Edit: October 02, 2012, 06:03:59 pm by Mageziya »
Every dwarf, every dwarven man, women, and child, that comes to our forts will die there; it's truly sad when you think about it. And we ask our selves, why? Why do we push forward, knowing this fate, that we are destined for failure? Because, this game grasps the concept of mortality. Some games you can never lose, but we all stop eventually, causing a 'death' to those game's 'worlds'. Dwarf Fortress gives us a definite end, knowing that we will leave that world eventually, and move on to more.

Beast Tamer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25839 on: October 02, 2012, 08:17:46 pm »

Okay, so, I recently started a fortress in an Evil biome. Now, this biome, instead of skeletons all over the place, has nefarious soot clouds that drift by every once and a while- you know, the ones that make almost un-killable husks?

During the first year, half of the first migrant wave and all of the second were either wiped out by a soot cloud, or by the zombies they make. I had to seal myself inside, dig out long winding tunnels, and make a system of doors and floodgates to seal them in the tunnels so I can go back outside and get much needed wood.

I unseal the entrance, and send out my woodcutter. A mason also drifts past, followed by her dozen of war dogs she trained. I cut down a few trees, and some time later, get an announcement saying that she gave birth. I zoom to her, and find that she's sleeping on the edge of the map.

I also find that half her pack of war dogs got turned into soot zombies and are attacking the other half while she sleeps, but that's not the interesting part. I see that one dog is hanging around her rather than the fight raging a few squares away, then I notice an arm flying away and blood spurting onto the ground. Curiosity piqued, I check her for wounds, after finding none, I check her baby.

Her baby lost the arm, and is also a soot zombie.

The dog keeps attacking the baby, ripping off both arms and legs, until the mother wakes up. She sees the fight raging just a few feet away, then runs- taking the baby with her. The war dog follows, determined to make the zombie baby into a snack. Once far enough away, she makes a run for my fortress. Out of curiosity, I don't seal her out.  She walks into the fortress, the dog still running after her.

Nobody notices the zombie baby flailing around her bloody stumps besides the dog, and the Elf Caravan. So now, I have a zombie baby with just a head, upper and lower body, Elves that run away whenever my mason gets close to them, and a war dog determined to do its job.

I'm thinking of making it my first mascot.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2012, 08:19:37 pm by Beast Tamer »
There is currently a minor problem in that the veteran demons fighting in the corpse factory have failed to die in the 2 year battle and have become legendary unkillable gods of war. I may have misjudged this possible outcome.

MrWillsauce

• Bay Watcher
  • Has an ass that won't quit
    • View Profile
« Reply #25840 on: October 02, 2012, 08:23:34 pm »

Husks are immune to magma right? If so build this vessel to hold your mascot:

Code: [Select]
GGG
GMG
GGG
G=Glass windows, M=7/7 Magma

Put baby in center and a glass floor over the top.

Beast Tamer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25841 on: October 02, 2012, 08:30:38 pm »

A good idea, if I ever find the damn caverns.

Also, I don't know it they're immune to magma. That's going to be one of my first experiments on this fort. If not, I'll just use them to train my marksmen for a few years, or dig out all the cotton candy and see if a few husks can beat a legion of clowns.
There is currently a minor problem in that the veteran demons fighting in the corpse factory have failed to die in the 2 year battle and have become legendary unkillable gods of war. I may have misjudged this possible outcome.

Clover Magic

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOCTURNAL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #25842 on: October 02, 2012, 08:59:59 pm »

I think someone pitted husks against clowns once.  The husks won.  Don't know about husks, but I do know normal zombies are immune to magma.  Submersing them in it just makes flaming zombies.

In my own fort...everyone likes chocobos.  Everyone.  So many announcements about chocobos adopting people.

Good thing they breed by eggs so I can cut them off or else I would have a chocobosplosion.

Edit: Also my liason just migrated to my fort.  What.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2012, 09:55:47 pm by Clover Magic »

the woods

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25843 on: October 02, 2012, 11:32:58 pm »

Considering we get a swarm of like ten every month, Shadowknife has now started a thriving raven training industry.  It only took us two waves of ravens to achieve general familiarity.  Our first trained hatchlings have hatched, so we're on the way to domestication.

The raven-swarms of Shadowknife...

the woods

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25844 on: October 02, 2012, 11:37:52 pm »

I thought I could make a cool cavern commune by designating each big layer-2 stalagmite for one purpose (administration, abbatoir / incinerator, physics department, sleeping cells...) and connecting them with twisty tunnels, but it turns out spreading the fortress into discrete tubes 100 z-levels down was making really long paths and dwarves were constantly thirsty after every errand. Going to free the necromancer collection and abandon this slowass place.
Pages: 1 ... 1721 1722 [1723] 1724 1725 ... 3842