Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1720 1721 [1722] 1723 1724 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6127503 times)

MrWillsauce

• Bay Watcher
  • Has an ass that won't quit
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #25815 on: September 30, 2012, 09:23:17 pm »

Just pray that your dwarves never go without socks.

MadocComadrin

• Bay Watcher
  • A mysterious laboratory goblin!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25816 on: September 30, 2012, 09:28:12 pm »

I don't make socks. Good dwarves may get them during goblin Christmas, but I prefer leather shoes for the extra kick.

Varnifane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25817 on: October 01, 2012, 12:55:14 am »

Oruksmata.

16th Galena, 7

Into summer of year two. I have the magma forge complex churning out iron weapons and armor for mass militarization. Three squads set up an axe, a hammer and a spear.  I've redone the entrance, which will remain open from now on. Setting up my first minecart ore dumping operation and I hope to re-purpose half a dozen dwarves to making steel.

All boring stuff right now. But I got a visitor in one the caverns, a gaunt, eyeless monkey with a large trunk and noxious secretions. I watched him swim about for a few minutes and noted that the secretions froze as he left them behind. I'm thinking these noxious secretions might take a little more than penicillin to clear up. I'll pay him a visit later. His will be the first skull in the road of skulls.

I regret to inform the community that the mass murder of puppies does not create a viable clock.
I don't know if you need other ideas when you have magma.

gbrngfol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25818 on: October 01, 2012, 01:16:25 am »

Ok another artifact, a possession this time. so quick tally of my artifacts:

Querns:1

Hatch covers:1

Earrings:1

Bracelets:1

Rings:1

Another thing to note is that the ring took two whole andesite slabs to make.

Edit: The newest one is the hatch cover by the way and I've just found out it's called "Skythreats". I'll put this at the top of my Tree-Based Execution Tower.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2012, 01:23:16 am by gbrngfol »
My computer breaks down regularly. Duct tape is starting to lose it's charm.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #25819 on: October 01, 2012, 01:19:04 am »

At least you have a hatch cover. My last artifact was a figurine. Of Snails. I just can;t get over how pointlessly useless it is.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

gbrngfol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25820 on: October 01, 2012, 01:25:52 am »

At least you have a hatch cover. My last artifact was a figurine. Of Snails. I just can;t get over how pointlessly useless it is.

It's not as pointlessly useless as the andesite sheild ring.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #25821 on: October 01, 2012, 01:29:08 am »

At least you have a hatch cover. My last artifact was a figurine. Of Snails. I just can't get over how pointlessly useless it is.

It's not as pointlessly useless as the andesite sheild ring.
No, Because at least with a ring, someone could make a badass Proposal. Mine was a Stone figurine of snails. What child would play with that?
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

darklord92

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:SERGALNORTH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #25822 on: October 01, 2012, 01:33:27 am »

Dwarfs working with modded !!SCIENCE!! gasoline and plastic testing, attempting to make large explosions, I've already managed to make a real gas "explosion" by causing the material to evaporate and than 1 degree urist later combust spontaneously, results are mixed, but the meeting hall is on fire so it's passed the first test!

Other than gasoline tests I've started using macros for the first time, and hell they are a time saver.
Form walking potato man out of corpse. Absorb anyone else in the house.
We have a successful derail.
The Vilous Mod - Jingle berries!

gbrngfol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25823 on: October 01, 2012, 01:47:39 am »

Goddammit I just accidentally cut down my Execution Tree and stripping all the trees from the surface means I cant get another one close to the fort. Oh well at least I now get some free 'bold bones.

Edit: Wait. Could it be? A single tree right next to the entrance just grew to full size! IT'S A MIRACLE.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2012, 01:54:07 am by gbrngfol »

Stil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25824 on: October 01, 2012, 05:10:38 am »

Had all my crossbows path into my goblin incinerator on the way to archery practice rather than the shorter, safer route :( I paused the game and had one minute of silence followed by 10 of loudly cursing in their honour. Gobbo siege killed all the undead but another necromancer troop turned up. I think being near several towers will ensure a steady supply of interesting things... which is a damn shame I need a moments rest so I can get an anvil and start making metal...
"This in particular, simply because it's so siggable." Ironyowl

Cabbagetroll

• Bay Watcher
  • likes weiner dogs for their endless pluck
    • View Profile
« Reply #25825 on: October 01, 2012, 09:33:59 am »

After a bout of food shortage - the product, I might add, of neglect and mismanagement on my part - I decided to start a facotry system for my foodstuffs. I have enough animals being born that I can continually butcher them for their limited meat, bones, skulls, and hides, and I now have well over 2000 prepared meals. I never wanna go hungry again.

Also, I got a platinum low boot artifact, so that's fun.

gbrngfol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25826 on: October 01, 2012, 07:43:59 pm »

Testing the new execution tower.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Edit:Also first uninvited guest:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: October 01, 2012, 07:51:13 pm by gbrngfol »

Mr Space Cat

• Bay Watcher
  • inactive, changed accounts. sig for info
    • View Profile
« Reply #25827 on: October 01, 2012, 09:21:36 pm »

FigureCurse just got a load of migrants, now up to 60 dwarves or so. Elven caravan arrives, and SUDDENLY DARK STRANGLER SIEGE OMGWTFBBQ.

It's only the second year. Our military consists of one axedwarf and 3 crossbow dwarves.  We haven't had any metal armor made and only have 6 cage traps out front versus a swarm of stranglers. I think this spells the end!

EDIT: Oh man, the elves just saved our bums.  The elven speardancer guard almost singlehandedly drove off the siege by slaying 3 or 4 dark stranglers and chasing the rest off.  Gonna have to get some proper armor and gear for our army if we'll be getting these strangler sieges regularly. 
« Last Edit: October 01, 2012, 09:26:21 pm by Mr Space Cat »
Made a new account that I use instead of this one. Don't message this one, I'm probably not gonna use it.

New account: Spehss _

ZzarkLinux

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_BUN:#1]
    • View Profile
« Reply #25828 on: October 01, 2012, 09:24:19 pm »

Journal of Kotonoa, 30th Timber, yr.453
First Previous Next

Hexes broke my pathing.
It's neat, but I gotta build looms right next to the webs or else the dwarf gets confused.

A injured child refuses to rest.
Instead, every time I deconstruct his bed he gets "interrupted by zombie" again even though that zombie is sealed away 30 levels above.

I used to bs about dwarves getting nightmares, but I guess wishes do come true  :D

Spoiler: Dwarven Hauling (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Dwarven Resting (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: October 03, 2012, 08:00:16 pm by ZzarkLinux »

Clover Magic

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOCTURNAL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #25829 on: October 01, 2012, 09:32:20 pm »

Happy day!  My frost spiders are working!  I've seen a few flitting about the surface of the tundra, and their webs are there too.  Also giant frost spider webs, I hope that doesn't mean one's hiding somewhere, because that would be really shitty for a fort not even out of first spring yet.  Also glad there is no more frostbite issues with frost spiders - Remember kids, bad things happen when you accidentally set the temperature of a material your genomes really like to wear to a temperature that is apparently below dwarven absolute zero.  Learn from my fail.

Tundra plants also working, yay.  Still can't fix the "we need plump helmets in plant_standard boss or we just can't farm anything" or the world gen crashes for anything larger than Small.  Oh well.  Got my sawmill showing up after another stupid mistake, we'll test it out here.

Apparently the only ores on this map are galena, native gold, and adamantine.  That sucks so bad I'm not even going to expand on it, but I did build the outer wall and trade depot out of gold nuggets.  It felt appropriate, so now there's a giant wall of bling sitting on this tundra.

FUCK OFF RAVENS.
Pages: 1 ... 1720 1721 [1722] 1723 1724 ... 3842