Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1461 1462 [1463] 1464 1465 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6108749 times)

aaron32

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #21930 on: April 16, 2012, 02:21:16 am »

Wow, I thought goblins were bad, This is worse.
A little bit of background: This was using the Masterwork DF mod, Which among LOTS of other things, Adds raptors.
http://pastebin.com/s4QnYihp
Funfact: Some of the raptors got around 3 kills AND names!
(Probably Ex)Admin on Urist McStation, A space station 13 server.
Link: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=123140.0

It's pretty cool. Check it out.

ZzarkLinux

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_BUN:#1]
    • View Profile
« Reply #21931 on: April 16, 2012, 06:04:19 am »

BunnyBunches the Rabbit-Hut

09) Long-Term Challenges Begin Rising
10) Planning - The Megaproject to Save the Future !!

Warning - Long Droning Megaproject Planning Ahead

So last time, I completed trading and everything went well.

However, a GiantFlyingGreatHornedOwlCorpse stepped into some Foul Vapor and is now a persistent GFGHOFVC
And remember, fresh zombies / husks don't leave the map, ever. So I don't plan on this guy every leaving me alone.

Not only is it a threat by itself, but any wildlife that spawns (or migrant waves that arrive) may be swiftly converted to the GFGHOC's cause.
I know this from past experience (See Chapter 1 for previous forts ...)

Even though I have migrant tubes that allow migrants quick-underground-access,
there is still the threat that the now-permant GFGHOFVC will see the migrants and convert some of them.
Or, the GFGHOFVC will see wildlife that shows up and convert those.

All surface work is top priority. The surface-undead population is now projected to grow rapidly.
Likely the GFGHOFVC will be fed by the Spring migrant wave. Or a random kestral/skunk. Whichever comes first

--------

I form a group of Surface Masons.
I want to wall up as much of the surface as possible now before undead populations get out of hand.
This group is formed with:
: the Brewer
: the Jeweler
: the StoneCrafter
: the Armorer
: one of the Planters
: three haulers

The goal of this group is to:
1) Finish roofing Pasture Space B so my rabbits stop biting my dogs
2) Build additional walls and roofs whenever possible

Remember, the more space we have on the surface, the less that ground-based undead can affect us.
And when ash hits a wall (non-ramp), it goes away and de-spawns.

The others will remain under the earth to prepare halls and dorms close to each fort exit.
These will kinda be like "security checkpoints" where the dwarves can wait for the right time to do constructions.

Then the groups will be separated via forbidden door.
The Surface-Mason group will tactically race out and construct on the surface whenever there is a "clearing".
The regular dwarves will have other things to do.

--------

Additionally,

My Doctor is now rusty in his diagnostics.

So after the miners finish with the "security offices" in the migrant tunnels (tubes), they will dig out a garbage chute.
Before they finish the garbage chute, I will collapse one random dwarf into that area so my CMD gets some medical practice.
I actually need to make a hospital for that to work...

--------

Since my militia trio is depressed about long duty, they can come off duty to help with all the hauling that will happen.

--------

Work begins on the megaproject.
And there is a suprising development for next time ;)

Spoiler: The Megaproject Begins (click to show/hide)

Himmelblau

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21932 on: April 16, 2012, 06:32:19 am »

Wonder what a leather flute sounds like.
Bit of a stretch, but it could be a bagpipe.
Dwarf Fortress- where a sudden mist that causes you to bleed from every orifice and drop dead is one of the better outcomes.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #21933 on: April 16, 2012, 07:14:48 am »

one of my dwarfs engraved an image of a dwarven diety of death, blight, sholarship and poetry, that looks offended. He's an ardent worshipper. Looking at the diety, she is very fond of cursing her most ardent worshippers. Lucky for me, this dwarf is ecstatic for just becomming a parent, so this one isn't cursed (yet). However, I guess I should make ready for vampire fun somewhere in the future.
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

AWdeV

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21934 on: April 16, 2012, 07:17:06 am »

Elf caravan came.

Goblin attack. I killed the goblins and deconstructed the depot because there seems to be a bug in which trading can't continue after it's been interrupted. Depot moved to a safer spot, new defences, yadda yadda.

One marksdwarf got wounded in combat, was put in hospital. Had almost been fully patched up again.

War gorlak has reverted to a wild state. Huh.

Where is he?

In the hospital. His jaw clenched firmly shut around my wood burner/marksdwarfs throat.

Sonofabitch.

He did a minor amount of damage, ran into a nearby furniture stockpile and got all his limbs sliced off by a swordsdwarf. Traitorous evil little shite.
Teenage Bearded Axelord Turtles
Urists in a half shell (Turtle Power)

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #21935 on: April 16, 2012, 07:56:37 am »

Well well well. One of my deactivated hammerdwarves is killing giant dingoes left and right, without any order from my part. It's like he goes on the places of old battles, sees an animal, and then chases it and kills it for the hell of it.

I was amused. Seems I trained well my military, by "trained well" I obviously mean "battle-hungry killers".

He has therefore earned the profession name of Blood Seeker. Good job, Usān Isethshis !

... Oh wait. Usān Isethshis ? Murder Questfang ? That's a quite badass name. Now I just wait till he gets his title by killing enemy civ members.

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21936 on: April 16, 2012, 08:23:16 am »

Brewster

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Engraver
    • View Profile
« Reply #21937 on: April 16, 2012, 11:25:49 am »

Best part was when she changed back to a human and ran off the screen butt-naked. The boys sure had a good show that day!
(I didn't wanna draw werellama nude.)

AWdeV

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21938 on: April 16, 2012, 12:01:24 pm »

I have 60-odd war cave crocodiles. They like to leave their pasture and follow their trainers.

That's fine by me because, coincidentally, most of my trainers are part of the marksdwarf squad. Nom nom nom if Snodub gets too close.
Urists in a half shell (Turtle Power)

Andrakon

• Bay Watcher
  • [PLAYIN_THE_FOOL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #21939 on: April 16, 2012, 01:04:30 pm »

I had a fire breathing lizard diety come by my fort to have a meeting with my mayor today. :o After saving I let it in, and I bet the mayor had the most terrifying meeting in her life. I was half expecting my fort and especially my mayor to go up in flames! Zothrol was quite civil though, she called my dwarves noble and said I had a nice place. How does something/someone like that become the human law giver I have no idea. After it left my mayor was very happy about conducting a meeting in a fantastic setting.  8)  I hope Zothrol doesn't plan to take over my fort, it took a long time to build that gold and adamantine tower! >_>    <_<
Tetist Agsal, "The Flimsiness of Pools", an obsidian hatch cover. On the item is an image of two flesh balls in iron... ROFLMAO

nightwhips

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21940 on: April 16, 2012, 01:45:00 pm »

I had a fire breathing lizard diety come by my fort to have a meeting with my mayor today. :o After saving I let it in, and I bet the mayor had the most terrifying meeting in her life. I was half expecting my fort and especially my mayor to go up in flames! Zothrol was quite civil though, she called my dwarves noble and said I had a nice place. How does something/someone like that become the human law giver I have no idea. After it left my mayor was very happy about conducting a meeting in a fantastic setting.  8)  I hope Zothrol doesn't plan to take over my fort, it took a long time to build that gold and adamantine tower! >_>    <_<

He probably didn't even notice she was breathing fire and twisted into humanoid shape. He was just thinking "Armok-damn, I love this office!"
: Miner dwarves? In my volcano?

:I put childs into danger room...
They die, and their parents care nothing because legendary dining room.

Ant

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21941 on: April 16, 2012, 03:41:59 pm »

Sooooo... My blacksmith decides to go fey and starts tinkering something at the magma forge... End result is a lead statue about founding of the fort with some curious piece of history about choosing of vampire as the general of my civ in yellow spessartine. The name for such a grand statue is ominous, though; Anilbomrek, the Glorious Whip.

Orky_Boss

• Bay Watcher
  • Why not?
    • View Profile
« Reply #21942 on: April 16, 2012, 04:22:24 pm »

A couple of blind cave trolls found their way outside and managed to ravage my outdoor workers, killing several people, and one of them even taking down my militia commander (The one with a crutch and without a spear), since I somehow never got steel from the steel battle axe I had found and melted. Luckily, a huge wave of migrants came during the fighting, and I quickly filled a squad up with them, then zerg rushed the Blind cave trolls with them, quickly killing them.

After that crisis, I discovered that we were all out of booze, and severly underprepared for such a large wave of migrants (only 16 beds for 30 dwarves, with 4 of the bedrooms being used for an emergency hospital). We managed to get a small amount of steady booze, but the caravan had arrived during this mess, and due to my forgetfulness during a crisis, I hadn't gotten to making a craftsdwarf workshop, and so had nothing to trade for their medical supplies and booze.

After setting up my stockpile level, it came to my realization that there were many things from the cave swallows I had slaughetred at the beginning that we had never gotten to hauling, so I decided to claim them.

Guess what I found while unforbidding the items. MY FORMER MILITIA COMMANDER'S F*CKING STEEL SPEAR.

I unforbid that as well and assigned it to my new MC, who was luckily a novice speardwarf and a novice in armor and shield usage as well as a novice dodger. I started smelting the limonite I had found in the caverns and was making Iron Spears for the new conscripts.

Later, after discovering the body of my former expedition leader in a pond after my other miner was about to clean himself with the water and had begun digging to clear out the pond, I suddenly saw the message:

Urist McNew Expedition Leader cancels haul: Inturrupted by Cave Crocodile!

I look to see that several dwarves had lost limbs to a single cave crocodile, inculding the Carpenter (The replacement leader). I immediatly send my speardwarf squad to attack it.

Seeing trogolytes nearby and not wanting them to be a threat, I also order them to kill them after finishing off the crocodile.

Now, while most of the conscripts now had iron spears, they still only had civilian clothing, so as I watched them fight the troglytes I noticed some of them were blinking the cripple signal, and saw that some of them were missing hands and even arms, which meant more patients for the hospital on top of the civilians harmed by the Cave Crocodile, which meant flooded hospitals, which meant being required to assign even more bedrooms to be used as part of the hospital, which meant even more dwarves without a proper bed to sleep in...

Sh*t.
Shit! He's flatlining! Quick, get the Doctor in!

Doctor: Nah, I'm on break.

Koremu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21943 on: April 16, 2012, 04:31:37 pm »

Sooooo... My blacksmith decides to go fey and starts tinkering something at the magma forge... End result is a lead statue about founding of the fort with some curious piece of history about choosing of vampire as the general of my civ in yellow spessartine. The name for such a grand statue is ominous, though; Anilbomrek, the Glorious Whip.

Artefact Statues are one of the best items to get. I once had the first artefact in a fortress turn out as a Steel Statue of my Expedition Leader surrounded by the rest of the Expedition labouring, relating to the founding of the Fortess.

I set that up in the main dining hall and every Dwarf had happy thought from eating in an incredible dining room and viewing a sublime statue.
It's a dwarf.  Their natural habitat is "trapped on the wrong side of a wall".

Flinging children halfway across the map to land in magma is good, wholesome fun, but extramarital reproduction?  Why, that's just unseemly!

randman

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #21944 on: April 16, 2012, 04:32:04 pm »

This artistic rendition of Dorfen philosophy, regarding the concept of infinity, a.k.a. Dorfception:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I'm working on an animated GIF cartoon thing to go along with it. :P
Pages: 1 ... 1461 1462 [1463] 1464 1465 ... 3842