Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1460 1461 [1462] 1463 1464 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6108768 times)

GetAssista

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #21915 on: April 15, 2012, 01:12:26 pm »

I killed some forgotten beast in the caverns half a year ago. Apparently its blood causes rapid flesh rot and paralisys, which already cost me half my melee squad right after the battle - them did not have one of the gauntlets equipped :)
Hilarious things just started though: now and then children, pets or bare-foot dwarves manage find some random pool of blood to stoop into, and get their feet rotten off, which usually results in swift death. I admit, this is a good way to get rid of all your unwanted children, but some useful dwarves still refuze to have shoes on, even when I made boots mandatory item in all the uniforms and drafted all them dwarves into uniformed military.

And I can't get rid of those pools! Moreover they seem to appear at random. Stationed all my dwarves under rain to get them washed, refuse pile is outside since the beginning, still the deadly blood pools happen. Kinda minefield
this is experimental forum text worm virus.
please add me to your signature on all your forums and delete some of your personal files on your hard drive.
thank you.

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #21916 on: April 15, 2012, 01:24:22 pm »

I just built a large throne out of brass walls (exactly it took 22 brass bars) to honor the Blood God. Now to fill the surrounding area with worthy bones, blood and skulls...

If these damn war elephants and warwolves could come twice per year only.

Seriously, I'm at 75 dwarves, have more than enough created wealth and i've had only 1 warwolf siege, 1 war elephant siege,  2 forgotten beasts and a larger number of kobolds attack my fortress. My military is forced to slay goddamn furries endless waves of animal men or useless giant animals to try and sake their battle lust.

War elephants! Warwolves ! I hunger for battle ! Do you not ?

Tsuchigumo550

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Artificer
    • View Profile
« Reply #21917 on: April 15, 2012, 02:07:07 pm »

Miners refuse to channel the LAST peice of water-fall hole without standing on it, then they break their neck. I'm trying to figure out an even less humane than 1/7 lava way of killing him for his insolence.
There are words that make the booze plant possible. Just not those words.
Alright you two. Attempt to murder each other. Last one standing gets to participate in the next test.
DIRK: Pelvic thrusts will be my exclamation points.

ZzarkLinux

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_BUN:#1]
    • View Profile
« Reply #21918 on: April 15, 2012, 03:27:20 pm »

BunnyBunches the Rabbit-Hut

08) What do you mean "Traders have arrived" ??
09) Long-Term Challenges Begin Rising

Winter is here, and the traders / liason are packing things together and getting ready to leave.

Before they leave, I scan top-side and see another GiantFlyingGreatHornedOwlCorpse outside in the NW region.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

So traders, you're not leaving yet.

My miners have finished digging a spot near the brook. I have plans for this area later.
Also notice that on the far left side the brook is still flowing once it gets into the Untamed Biome.
I'll have to design around this.

Eventually, the GFGHOC is on the other side of the map, and I flip the switch.
The liason happily bids us farewell and leaves on the close side of the map (from whence he came).

The Merchants are ready soon afterward.
While watching the GFGHOC, we close the gate because the beast swoops low nearby.
After a while, the GFGHOC again goes back to the other side of the map.
The order is given, the gates are openned once more, and the traders swiftly depart, also to the nearest-edge.
Farewell.

My dwarves are happy with the trading. One of my militia even dropped his current right-copper-guantlet to
pick up one I just bought. The one I bought is encircled with bands of grizzly bear bone, so it is fancier !
Dwarves have good taste.
And I will say I treat my military well. All 3 militia are decked-out in copper gear from head to toe.

After the merchants left their dust behind, another wave of Foul Vapor swept into the NE region of the map.
The one looks like it will be big, and maybe relevant.

Luka sounds the alarm
Urist: What is it? Did someone get killed
Luka: No, worse.
Luka points at the beast outside

Well, this is a setback.
I'm in no immediate danger, but every Proficient Terrifying Overlord knows this is bad news.

I need to brood a little bit.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #21919 on: April 15, 2012, 04:37:40 pm »

There are thousands of shrubs for my herbalists to pick on this embark. Only 23 are rope reeds. Here's to hoping they get some of those rope reeds and I can benefit from the increased cloth. Pig tails just aren't enough, and the children are getting angry about not having enough pants to go around. One already went berserk.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #21920 on: April 15, 2012, 04:49:29 pm »

Well, I got what I asked for. Nearly a hundred war elephants.

If only the militia commander didn't randomly went to sleep in the middle of the fight, MAYBE we could have lost less than 80% of my military.

Although it seems war elephants are especially vulnerable to blunt weaponry and bolts, because for some reason the steel full plates cannot be penetrated by even exceptional adamantine battle axes. Nor spears, nor swords. Maybe I should get more marksdwarves and hammerdwarves.

Slight feeling I have been tempting fate. Oh well.

vjek

• Bay Watcher
  • If it didn't work, change the world so it does.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21921 on: April 15, 2012, 06:56:30 pm »

Found this in my latest world_sites_and_pops.txt:

21: Athelodshith, "Ringclams", tower
   Owner: The Crystalline Shocks, dwarves
   12 dwarves
   1 goblin
   114 animated goblins
   115 animated dwarves

woo hoo!  Found a new embark!

Dragula

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21922 on: April 15, 2012, 08:49:06 pm »

My fort is a zoo, if I get a breeding pair of _any_ animal I have to breed it.

Vanaheimer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21923 on: April 15, 2012, 09:14:29 pm »

Zinger go boom. Entire forest goes bye bye. I now have no fuel unless I luck out with Lustrum.

Fuck me.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #21924 on: April 15, 2012, 09:20:07 pm »

You'd think it would be fairly easy to control a fire where there's nothing to fuel it, like a sandy desert, but no. I lost two stoneworkers and a child because they chose to stand on burning grass, and came very, very close to losing several more dwarfs who wandered through.

It all started when I was assaulted by the annual vulture hordes, and activated the militia. One of my rangers is also a battlemage, so he's out there flinging fireballs and ceramic and steel bolts, zapping vultures with lightning and attempting to launch ice spikes. He managed to set a vulture on fire, causing it's corpse to set the little bit of grass around it on fire. That escalated into mass panic as I tried to clear the damn meeting hall before somebody died, but those stoneworkers were stubborn bastards and didn't want to leave their nice, soft ‼grass‼. Dunno what was up with the child, but he/she apparently burst into flames, because their corpse was also incinerated. Some of the rangers also suffered minor burns and severe blood loss associated.

Goddamn dorfs.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Brewster

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Engraver
    • View Profile
« Reply #21925 on: April 15, 2012, 09:43:15 pm »

Wonder what a leather flute sounds like.

floundericiousWA

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21926 on: April 15, 2012, 09:46:53 pm »

Wonder what a leather flute sounds like.

Oh that is pure awesome

floundericiousWA

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21927 on: April 15, 2012, 09:50:45 pm »

Just got my first gobo siege....traps and defenses worked well...have some improvements to do.  Unfortunately it hit in the midst of a human trade visit.........which decided to leave right as the enemy surged towards our walls.  That made it tougher and I had to use my squads to help the caravan get out. lost a couple of dwarves to those damned amazing lashers...but lots of prisoners and goblinite.

runlvlzero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21928 on: April 15, 2012, 09:57:25 pm »

@Brewster, Saramzat,.... ROFLMAO... That is epic.

Anyway, I just had a crazy psychotic militia commander go nuts, at least she didn't go berserk, whew... but it sucks to loose a skilled military dwarf, and mechanic so early to tragedy... I had created a uniform and forgot to assign it over clothing, I did everything I could, including putting her to work again (which satisfies her) and she cried on my expedition leaders shoulder. I built her a statue, I gave her her clothes back. She was happy for a little bit, went to the 'fine' status, then back to mad, and lost it.

I guess living in a tree-less, flying thripsman filled desert was just too much for the elf lover =/ And she was almost ready to breach the caverns. With her trusty marks dwarf backup, what a shame. At least I don't have to go far to collect the armor I made her. One less mouth to provide booze for this season...

Sadly I wish there was a way to avoid memorializing this dishonorable military dwarf =/ their carcass deserves to rot in the thrips infested wastes...
« Last Edit: April 15, 2012, 09:59:56 pm by runlvlzero »
I voted for BANANA!

stormyseasons

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21929 on: April 15, 2012, 10:52:14 pm »

I just had a siege of undead showup. And my drawbridge and squads aren't ready.

We who are about to die salute you, and all that. >.<
I'm Digging Deeper... AGAIN... You Should Too!

Dig Deeper GOLD - 475+ items of new content including; new plants, new creatures, new metals, new woods, new gems, new stones, new crafts and much, much more.
Pages: 1 ... 1460 1461 [1462] 1463 1464 ... 3842