Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1306 1307 [1308] 1309 1310 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6096875 times)

paraxite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #19605 on: February 21, 2012, 01:04:02 pm »

I just found out that an very unhappy baby dwarf got orphaned because a vampire killed his mom. He's crawling around in the dining hall, hungry and thirsty. Apparently he also saw the mom's corpse, too...

It feels bad, man. Feels bad... :(

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #19606 on: February 21, 2012, 01:05:29 pm »

The murderous giant sponge sits in the river, it waits, patiently

Giant Cheetah are good at spotting kobold thieves and tearing them apart.

btw: poor baby, mental scars for life, or untill it sees a nice statue
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

paraxite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19607 on: February 21, 2012, 01:09:08 pm »

Already tried that. doesn't work. I think the baby is too young to understand it...
Found my vampire, but he's currently my best and only macelord. Without him the fort will crumble for sure. Damn it.

Vehudur

• Bay Watcher
  • [evil]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19608 on: February 21, 2012, 01:19:22 pm »

Already tried that. doesn't work. I think the baby is too young to understand it...
Found my vampire, but he's currently my best and only macelord. Without him the fort will crumble for sure. Damn it.

And with him your fort will eventually tantrum spiral and crumble.  That, or every non-vampire dwarf will be dead, and too many deaths will scare away migrants.  Sometimes.

Your choice for that tradeoff. 
...and a third died in his bunk of natural causes - for a dagger in the heart quite naturally ends one's life.

I used to have an avatar, but I was told to remove it after it kept making people go insane.

theLumberJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Axe that rock!
    • View Profile
    • Musings and Photos
« Reply #19609 on: February 21, 2012, 01:24:48 pm »

I just embarked to a half evil map and half not evil map.  With a brook splitting the two almost perfectly.
The name gen named the fortress Fierychamber of Death
I watched a zombie dwarf tear off a girls dress and hit her with it so hard it became lodged in her skull.

Hatch Cover

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19610 on: February 21, 2012, 02:41:12 pm »

My last fort was in a terrifying zone that had the 'everything that dies becomes a zombie' attribute. I huddled everyone underground and got the supplies under before the undead came. Then I set about breaching the aquifier with the double slit method (Lemurson's, I believe. Thanks!). I had a walled off room attached to a room where a lever opens the door. When migrants came, I had not finished building these and they all died. The child they brought with them, became an adult and survived the longest before he died. I oppened the door and burrowed him, but he never made it. Second wave had five. This time, I had my safe double closed chamber enterance ready, pulled the level and burrowed the newcomers. The metalsmith made it inside the first chamber. I was tempted to close the door again, so I could let her inside, but her husband was the last survivor out in the open, so I gave him time to try and get to the room. Turns out, he was almost there, and I closed the door when we entered and temporarily unsealed the chamber to let them into the rest of the fort. I was super pleased to have not only saved some migrants, but to have saved both members of the couple by chance. I then got bored of trying to pierce the aquifier when I tried to use a second method to speed things up the no longer works with the way water flows in the new version. I should have been patient. Not wanting to start the aquifier piercing from scratch, I gave up on that fortress.

Now I am trying to make the most efficent, fun, and long-lasting fortress that I have ever made. Started out somewhere reasonably hospitable and am suprised to find how fast the time goes and how much I enjoy focusing on making things work as well as possible instead of having to focus constantly on survival. I have played fortresses in bad regions and aquifers for so long now, that it is odd for me to play a fort like this. The way I organized my fort, to make thing simpler on me in planning and for fun and simplicity, is to give a different floor to each category of job. And some misc floors too. Once the fort is larger, most jobs will be heavily segregated by burrows (Except that children live in the job burrow of a parent and sometimes spouses too). Each even having their on dining hall. Haulers will be important and they will have back passages and be allowed in the strore rooms of other dwarves job classes. My big dilemna still is: what to do about bath houses? I guess some areas will be shared for simplicity. Maybe I will have some shared meeting areas too.

Duriel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19611 on: February 21, 2012, 02:49:15 pm »

I just caught a vampire red-handed. The interesting thing here was that he was currently the mayor of the fortress. I wonder if he still lives after 50 strikes from a silver hammer...

Also, another thing that looks odd to me, that one of my carpenters has a long name and six notable kills, but no combat skills.
An invisible lurker.

I have a YouTube channel!

MadocComadrin

• Bay Watcher
  • A mysterious laboratory goblin!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19612 on: February 21, 2012, 02:52:29 pm »

Also, another thing that looks odd to me, that one of my carpenters has a long name and six notable kills, but no combat skills.
Werebeast perhaps?

Di

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19613 on: February 21, 2012, 03:11:02 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I figured I'd just blame all the victims of tantrum-zombie spiral onto vampire that has started it. Also, vigilance test: find another vampire here.
Aww... That sucks bastard activated some bureaucracy protocol prohibiting the hammering of those who has unfinished tasks. Now he is standing chained with cleaning job pending, doing nothing. I'm building spike floors around him.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2012, 04:02:47 pm by Di »
Quote from: Creamcorn
Dwarf Fortress: Where you meet the limit of your imagination, moral compass, sanity and CPU processor.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=103080.0 Fix sober vampires!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=91442.0 Dwarven Cognitive Science

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
  • A respectable sort of psychopath
    • View Profile
« Reply #19614 on: February 21, 2012, 03:21:26 pm »

Behold! The Fiend-Revealing Observation Garrison!

Code: [Select]
Legend:
# : Floor Grate
v : Rope (on solid floor)
t : Avian Detection Device (tm) (also on solid floor)
□ : Wall
+ : Door

□□□□□□□
□#####□
□##v##□
□##t##□
□□□+□□□

Construct the F.R.O.G. directly above and parallell to the entrance hall of your fortress such that the entrance hall may be clearly viewed through the grates; afterwards, simply assign the Avian Detection Device (scientific name meleagris gallopavo) to the rope in the center.

Upon sighting a concealed intruder through the grates, the ADD will, through a top-secret, patent-pending mechanism, telepathically alert all the residents of your fortress as to its presence. In addition, the floor grates ensure that your ADD will not be disturbed by rock-throwing vandals or crossbow-wielding invaders! The ADD requires no food or other maintenance -- just set and forget!

Initial test results showed a 75% success rate in detecting and warding off thieves, babysnatchers, and ambushes.
A great human twisted into humanoid form. It has an emaciated appearance and it squirms and fidgets. Beware its bronyism!

Spawn of Holistic, and other mods

My tileset. Because someone asked. (Now with installation instructions!)
I so want your spawn babies

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19615 on: February 21, 2012, 04:00:21 pm »

Behold! The Fiend-Revealing Observation Garrison!

Code: [Select]
Legend:
# : Floor Grate
v : Rope (on solid floor)
t : Avian Detection Device (tm) (also on solid floor)
□ : Wall
+ : Door

□□□□□□□
□#####□
□##v##□
□##t##□
□□□+□□□

Construct the F.R.O.G. directly above and parallell to the entrance hall of your fortress such that the entrance hall may be clearly viewed through the grates; afterwards, simply assign the Avian Detection Device (scientific name meleagris gallopavo) to the rope in the center.

Upon sighting a concealed intruder through the grates, the ADD will, through a top-secret, patent-pending mechanism, telepathically alert all the residents of your fortress as to its presence. In addition, the floor grates ensure that your ADD will not be disturbed by rock-throwing vandals or crossbow-wielding invaders! The ADD requires no food or other maintenance -- just set and forget!

Initial test results showed a 75% success rate in detecting and warding off thieves, babysnatchers, and ambushes.

the other 25% involved the turkey dying didn't it.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19616 on: February 21, 2012, 04:07:53 pm »

legendary miner, broker and expedition leader got a strange mood, claimed a masons workshop. I was oreoaring myself for a long list of items.

He claimes a microcline stone that was already in the workshop and started to work.

This is not going to be the most valuable artifact I ever saw, I'm guessing
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.

FrisianDude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19617 on: February 21, 2012, 04:09:59 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Designate a movement zone; restrict it near the waterfall.
A tiny, foul-tempered humanoid creature that dwells in the evil mountains. They are known to enjoy drinking liquor and will take any unguarded supplies of booze.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19618 on: February 21, 2012, 04:21:31 pm »

doesn't help and you should know it.
They want to go to the other side, along the waterfall is the only path they find, they don't care how restricted it is, it's better than not getting there at all. Another dwarf bites the drop

Clover Magic

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOCTURNAL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19619 on: February 21, 2012, 04:29:49 pm »

Starting out in .02 for the first time.  Half Terrifying Tundra, half Untamed Wilds Rocky Wasteland.  Dealt with a lot of Snowy Owl Corpses and Elk Corpses and the like, have dug myself underground.  Only zombies, I can handle that--

"A cloud of vile mist has drifted nearby!"

Ffffffff---

Mist AND zombies!?  Thank you lord I'd just finished the wall and roof around my entrance, complete with sealed drawbridge.  I didn't need the outside anyways.
Pages: 1 ... 1306 1307 [1308] 1309 1310 ... 3842