Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1209 1210 [1211] 1212 1213 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6102011 times)

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #18150 on: January 10, 2012, 09:32:14 pm »

Jenn's gonna be in it for about three minutes after she breaches 80 dwarves.

Gizogin

• Bay Watcher
  • [EVIL][RAWMANCER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18151 on: January 10, 2012, 09:35:20 pm »

That vomiting syndrome I mentioned earlier has just hospitalized half of my dwarves with... foot bruising.  Seriously.  They went to the hospital, slept in the bed, then got up and left as soon as one of my hastily-drafted medical staff diagnosed them.  In other news, the goblins all left, so I lowered the drawbridge to let my dwarves recover the wounded and the dead, which is still in progress.
Quote from: franti
"Let's expose our military to zombie-dust so they can't feel pain. They don't NEED skin."
Quote from: Ipwnurmom221
One FB post. Many dick jokes. Pokemon. !!VOLCANO!!. Dwarven mood thingee. Derailment itself. Girlinhat's hat. Cuba. Karl Marx. This is why i love Bay12 forums.
The rest of my sig.
Fear the fluffballs

Urist McKiwi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18152 on: January 10, 2012, 09:43:20 pm »

Meanwhile, at Aceboats.

Population continues to climb. One miner killed by pathfinding....issues....which I fixed just in time for him to die of thirst right next to the barrel of dwarven ale. 8)

Expedition Leader V. Unhappy: Dead miner was her friend, died right next to her, and they were stuck down there a while (she only just made it out). To make up for it, I gave her a new coffer in her bedroom. It seems to be working.

...On the plus side, his sacrifice was not in vain, because I just bought a crudload of steel, copper and bronze (and seeds for stuff other than Plump helmet) from the dwarves in exchange for all the emeralds and rubies we've been finding (The lower levels, while annoying, are at least making a profit. The sedimentary layer has ended, so it's ALL metamorphic, and thus Yet More Bloody Frikken Damned Stupid Bloody Annoying Pointless Stupid Damned Zinc.....but lots of beryl and emerald.).

Onwards to lava! I *will* build the prototype Lava curtain on this island!

Incidentally, what's a Fun way to dispose of excess Plump Helmet? I'm thinking about building a bomb out of booze, once I have an ignition source.....so that might work for getting rid of them.....

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18153 on: January 10, 2012, 09:49:36 pm »

Masses of flux, iron, tetrahedrite and coke-bearing rocks have been found.

A lot of gems have been found in cavern layer two- but the Military has been occupied by an almost constant assault by Reachers, Rutherers and Crundles. Hence, the Fortress's front entrance was sealed while the military keep the cavern-dwellers occupied long enough for level 2 of the caverns to be sealed off.

Pukako

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18154 on: January 10, 2012, 09:59:09 pm »

Fortressfangs, on the banks of the mighty Babysieze River has just hit 94 dwarves.

Cue 8 ambushes of tigermen, goblins, dark stranglers, more goblins.

We are cowering behind the walls, watching the invaders walk the narrow gap between the walls, the weapon traps, and the 8 level plunge to the island of bodies that has formed in the river...

And if that doesn't work, then the Narrow Razors, led by a legendary axedwarf that has just made an artifact GOBLINBONE BATTLEAXE, will deal to the invaders.

Mind you, nothing will explain the macegoblin that materialised INSIDE my dining room...

Because DF players are heavily into pain.

MAurelius

• Bay Watcher
  • Philosopher King
    • View Profile
    • Marcus Aurelius Let's Play
« Reply #18155 on: January 10, 2012, 10:01:27 pm »

Why are my games never this batty?

Jenniretta

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18156 on: January 10, 2012, 10:49:35 pm »

Jenn's gonna be in it for about three minutes after she breaches 80 dwarves.

Depends, I've had axe and spear dwarves trained this way hold up against sieges fairly well in this version, good armour helps a lot with the bowgobs, as do barking meat shields, (in old versions where I did this sort of melee-only challenge bowmen were the most devastating thing to go up against by far) I'm most worried about getting a FB that coats them in some murderous extract that spreads to the rest of the fort, or another exploding beastie like one I found a couple forts ago that immolates every dwarf nearby when it dies (it didn't breath fire or anything, but when it died the area near it burst into flames and all but one recruit of my 25-dwarf military got caught in it because it died on the only real path  through the caverns between where the fight was and the fortress itself).

My solo axe-wielding maniac is making quick work of the local ice wolves who are brave enough to challenge the walls (which is, unsurprisingly, a lot of them... aggressive little bastards), the chain mail and leggings help a lot, last ice-wolf infested fort I had the guard got mauled shortly after arrival because I didn't invest in the armour, a bit of bronze between those teeth and her guts goes a long way.

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18157 on: January 10, 2012, 11:01:01 pm »

Now that the cavern has been sealed and given a door to exit the caverns:

A human caravan from Iquimong has arrived.

Seconds later:
The enemy is upon us! A vile siege of darkness has arrived!
Another second later:
An ambush! Skulking vermin!

I hurriedly pulled the lever to seal us in when the humans got in. Three guards were killed (Two atomised by the bridge) and one shooting two trolls in the face before being mauled by other trolls.

A cat died detecting the kobold ambush. They turned it into a pincushion.
Sigun Rinulamost and Mosus Gidthuras, both unliked and unlikeable fisherdwarves were killed in half a second.

A hunter who was outside at the time was drafted and is taking potshots at the trolls, barely injuring them despite his skill. He is going to be crushed in a short second as I write this, but he's injured them pretty effectively. I'm buying time for the humans- even if I open the gate with my powerful military there, they will be swept aside and then I will have a war with the human nation on my hands too.

The humans have sold us various bars and some new weaponry, among them some whips, flails, morning stars and scimitars. Alcohol and two elephants, a male and a female, two dogs and a donkey were also bought.
Also being bought are chests, ropes, seeds, bags and food.

A passage has been cleared to allow them to exit via the ruins of Boldropes (Limulunnos is on the same 'Local' screen, just far enough away to not be in Boldrope's old territory)
« Last Edit: January 10, 2012, 11:08:21 pm by Reudh »

Indricotherium

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18158 on: January 10, 2012, 11:07:54 pm »

Horniest. Hydra. EVAR.
That is a wasteful idea that recklessly endangers life. I applaud your genius!
There are as many ways to play the game as there are socks on a battlefield.

Sting_Auer

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_WAR_DOG_HORDES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18159 on: January 10, 2012, 11:12:58 pm »

I'm having trouble getting my bathhouse drainage pipe to work. The water is refusing to move up when it's being pumped.
Thank you everyone for the help! I've since flooded the fortress I was working on and now have a new one going up.

prim

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18160 on: January 10, 2012, 11:36:06 pm »

Well i've just started a new map, everything was going well, had 11 dwarves, 4 of them warriors, wrestled a giant olm for a couple of months, but nothing too serious.

Hadn't started production of armour or weapons, when a bunch of Elks (deers) arrived. sent warriors at em as per usual, killed 3/4, and then the wierdest thing. The 4th one killed 3 of my warriors and bedridden the 4th one. Got a name for itself. At this stage i just wanted it dead, so recruited everyone else and sent it on it, but alas the pure speed and charging of this beast meant that it eventually killed all but the bedridden warrior. Combat logs show that it was deflecting copper battle axe strikes!

Anyway it decides to leave, and a wave of 17 migrants arrive. Along with a forgotten beast in almost the same second. I recruit everyone and send them to their deaths. No surprise they all die, but the forgotten beast then lingers in front of the masterwork engraved bedroom with the lone warrior for a while, as if taunting it, until eventually storming in and finishing him off. Only other surivors were a dwarf that slept through the whole thing (and got rudely killed in his sleep when the beast charged him afterwards) and a child that was somewhere else doing whatever children do.

Sufficient to say, I had to give up, but i will be reclaiming! :)
I'm wondering what the hell the neighboring necromancer was thinking when he named his stupid slab "Droolsluts the Anuses of Piss".

the woods

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18161 on: January 11, 2012, 12:18:18 am »

[Elk]

People don't usually go after elk with an axe. You can try marksdwarves next time but when they run out of ammunition they may try to go bash them with empty crossbows and you'll have the same problem. You also don't have to kill them at all; usually wild animals retreat benignly, unless they're zombies or predators. If you try it out in adventure mode, living herd animals run away from you until you're in an adjacent tile, then they will charge when you catch up to them.

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
  • King of the HFS & only man to win v0.31.25
    • View Profile
« Reply #18162 on: January 11, 2012, 01:03:09 am »

Badgers to the north cut off by a river, another river to the south with carp that's worrying my dwarves and an aquifer I'm bending to my will to give me power for future shenanigans.  My new fort is coming along nicely.

IamanElfCollaborator

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Shipper God and Freyjapiller
    • View Profile
« Reply #18163 on: January 11, 2012, 01:06:06 am »

The walls of Winterdirge are stained with blood.

A gobbo invasion arrived. They were cut down by marksdwarves/gremlins/kobolds/elves/traitor goblins/men (using dfusion lolol) from about 7 posts, accomodating 3 each. Then a naga siege came along....their pathetic bodies were pinned to the ground with bolts.

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18164 on: January 11, 2012, 02:32:55 am »

Oh sh---

Turns out those two fisherdwarves were friends with a lot of dwarves.

Oh noes.

Mayor is Very Unhappy.
Mayor's lover is our only Legendary Armourer.

Oh no.
Pages: 1 ... 1209 1210 [1211] 1212 1213 ... 3842