Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1208 1209 [1210] 1211 1212 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6101848 times)

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #18135 on: January 10, 2012, 02:12:50 am »

Dear 'John' and 'Kate',

Please stop... Breeding... Or else I'm going to drop you and your 14 kids down into the goddamn magma sea.

anzelm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18136 on: January 10, 2012, 02:33:56 am »

DF Combat mechanics continue to amaze me. Goblin gut strings for your diorite instruments, anyone?
And they raise their wooden pints
And they yoik and sing
And they fight and dance till the morning!

JasonMel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18137 on: January 10, 2012, 05:33:12 am »

My second fortress usually limps away from attacks, but occasionally great victories do happen even to the inexperienced. My first attempt at siege weapon use went better than expected.

--

The dwarves built the ballista above and behind the front door, aimed through a fortification and down the length of a narrow, raised approach. The fort's only ballista, it had lain in wait for years, bolt at the ready, for its baptismal first firing. With no-one yet sufficiently skilled in its use, invasions had always been handled by the fort's ragtag army. In hopes of a better solution, practice catapults had been built and used within the fort for some time, however, which is how Iteb the Dwarf finally achieved the status of a legendary siege operator. When, in the fourth year of surviving, the lookout spied the third titan to attack the fort, the army, weary of broken bones and infected sutures, decided it was time to test the weapon's effectiveness. They sent Iteb up to his post, but remained ready behind the door in case anything should go wrong.

As the horrible humanoid coalescence of steam rounded the corner and began to charge down the length of the approach, Iteb's hand on the ballista release began to tremble. He could fire stones at an inert wall ten feet away without thinking, but aiming a temperamental ballista at a moving, menacing, charging titan was another thing entirely. As the ravening monster neared, its murderous intent evident in every sinister curl of vapor, he attempted to steel his jangling nerves. In the tense silence, a hiss and flutter of scalding steam coming from straight ahead became audible.

Just a little closer, Iteb. Keep it together just one more moment...

Just before he had intended to fire, his shaking became uncontrollable. Giving up, demoralized and badly frightened, he rose from his post, unable to operate the fickle machine. But he had taken only a few steps when he began to hear a new sound -- cheers! His friends behind the wall were shouting their encouragement. It was enough to make him stop in his tracks. He could do this!

Buoyed by the shouts below, Iteb turned and made a mad dash for the giant weapon's release. The monster was so close now that he could smell the ancient, sulfurous malice; the time for precise aim had passed. All he could do now was release the huge, lethal-looking bolt and hope for the best. With one desperate leap, he threw himself bodily on the catch. Twisting in midair for a close-range glimpse of the beast through the stone slit, he seemed to see two great, insubstantial eyes take shape in the cloud -- and he landed hard on the catch, causing the ponderous bolt to leap from its repose and shoot through the opening with a deafening report, which he described later to his friends as the sound of a dead tree being dropped on a donkey cart.

Painfully, bruised and winded, Iteb picked himself up and peered through the opening. A few fading wisps of steam were all he could see of his first live opponent.

One shot. One kill. Legendary, indeed.

--

With a grunt, Iteb lifted the heavy bolt from the ground where it had fallen at the base of the retaining fence. Looking back, he noted with interest how far to the right the mammoth arrow had drifted from its center line along the raised catwalk leading to the fort's entrance. His long training in geometry and ballistic trajectories allowed him to quickly estimate where the projectile would have been if he had fired the same shot when he had first intended to, with the monster much farther away. He concluded that, with very little doubt, he would have missed the monster entirely had he not left and come back.

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18138 on: January 10, 2012, 06:31:11 am »

Why is it that dwarves called Iteb are always epic? In Boldropes Iteb was the best fighter in the fortress.

imperium3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18139 on: January 10, 2012, 06:34:35 am »

My main squads are finally starting to reach the experience that they become Axe Lords, Spearmasters etc. Though they got overtaken speedily by the marksdwarves, who sure do learn fast.

One of my most experienced speardwarves, who I believe has been in the squad since it's reformation after being wiped out by a bronze colossus, still has NO kills to his name. All the others are in double digits by now, but he still hasn't hurt a fly.

WHY???
Socks inspire the same sort of emotions in dwarfs that Helen of Troy inspired in the Achaean Greeks. Although it is said that Helen's face launched a thousand ships, socks have surely launched a million ultimately-fatal Store Owned Item tasks.

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18140 on: January 10, 2012, 06:53:11 am »

Intensifying Mod v0.23 for 0.31.25. Paper tigers are white.
Prepacked Dwarf Fortress with Intensifying mod v.0.23, Phoebus graphics set, DFhack, Dwarf Therapist, Runesmith and a specialized custom worldgen param.

Doomshifter

• Bay Watcher
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18141 on: January 10, 2012, 07:36:40 am »

My little kobold camp experienced a small goblin ambush recently. Thinking it no trouble, as the hated enemy only had about six or seven macegoblins and I had around 8 kobolds who had been practicing for ages now, the militia was sent out. Most were slaughtered in moments, until a particular macebold got mad as hell.

He smashed one goblin to the ground by himself and terrified all but one of the remaining goblins away. The final goblin was a twisted wreck on the ground, where the three remaining militiabolds were slowly beating it to a bloody pulp. One by one, nearby peasants walked over to contribute a fist to the slow and extremely painful destruction of this singular menace. Another smart peasant dragged over one of the tame trolls, who crunched the pitiful goblin's head underfoot.

I later learned that the original mad macebold had lost his son to those goblins. I understood his pain and he was promoted into the position of Head Kobold, taking up the armour of his fallen predecessor.
Add me on PesterChum! My chumhandle is doomedHermit.
Right now Rampages seem to be Godzilla quietly walking into Tokyo, biting the leg off of one reporter... then creeping off again without a sound.

Chilton

• Bay Watcher
  • Armok Cultist - Calligrapher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18142 on: January 10, 2012, 07:39:12 am »

You dont want to know.

It involves a Statue, Magma, Hell, and a Flourishing Fortress aspiring to become a Mountainhome, and !!FUN!!.
I Like To Think Of Myself As An Artist - I Create Masterpieces With My Tools Of Trade.

jaxy15

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #18143 on: January 10, 2012, 08:34:50 am »

Our miner got injured from a cave in while channeling holes above a drawbridge that retracts, so dwarves will get injured and my doctors can have medical practice.
Later the guy intended for falling down made friends, so I got another Dwarf.

A giant rat attacked a leatherworker, who scratched the rat and killed it.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2012, 08:39:36 am by jaxy15 »
Dwarf Fortress: Threats of metabolism.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18144 on: January 10, 2012, 11:44:18 am »

The beastmen sent three squads and some war wolves to lay siege to the now 11z tower of Slaptowns. At the same time the serpent men sent half a squad which immediately got into a fight with a baby monkey and set themselves, the other siege, an ambush, about a dozen prisoners in cage traps and pretty much everything that isn't the impenetrable stone tower on fire.

jaxy15

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #18145 on: January 10, 2012, 02:03:03 pm »

Epic fail. I dropped a cheese maker down said drawbridge. She broke her neck, and died of suffocation before she got to the bed.
Dwarf Fortress: Threats of metabolism.

yamgrenade

• Bay Watcher
  • Cancels task: Is a Dumba**
    • View Profile
« Reply #18146 on: January 10, 2012, 06:31:42 pm »

Epic fail. I dropped a cheese maker down said drawbridge. She broke her neck, and died of suffocation before she got to the bed.

Not epic fail....She was just a cheesemaker XD

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18147 on: January 10, 2012, 07:49:15 pm »

And nothing of value was lost...

Jenniretta

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18148 on: January 10, 2012, 08:31:26 pm »

Started a new fortress on a terrifying tundra, no trees, deep soil, some clay, some sand, Shallow and deep ore, Ice wolves running around all over the damn place, goblins, elves, dwarves and humans all in-range, no above-ground water sources (not even frozen pools), so I'll have to have wells over the cavern water, if there is any, haven't gone down that far yet.

the Mason is currently building a rough chert wall to keep the ice wolves from overwhelming us, while our one guard - an axedwarf with an iron axe and bronze chain mail and her 3 war dogs, keep watch over him.

I've decided to use only melee military dwarves this fort - no marksdwarves, no siege operators, just melee. Of course no traps as well, since that defeats the point, and no strong barriers to entry - Metal doors will be the strongest stopping point I'll allow (no moats, no drawbridges) and I wont be sealing off any cavern levels.. I want to see how well the military can do defending the fort on their own.
Worth noting, not danger rooms or any of that crap - I train my military on wildlife and drills/sparring only.

MAurelius

• Bay Watcher
  • Philosopher King
    • View Profile
    • Marcus Aurelius Let's Play
« Reply #18149 on: January 10, 2012, 09:26:43 pm »

Jenn's in it for the masochism.
Pages: 1 ... 1208 1209 [1210] 1211 1212 ... 3842