Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1211 1212 [1213] 1214 1215 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6101665 times)

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #18180 on: January 11, 2012, 06:08:29 pm »

Right- they can grow attached to items of clothing if they are using them as weapons, I just didn't know that GDS could get attached to anything.

GrizzleBridges

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18181 on: January 11, 2012, 06:09:55 pm »

Interesting...... Any mods or is this in a vanilla game?

No mods... I dont even have tiles or therapist, just a weird ass scorpion. I think there are previous combat reports of it beating a goblin to death with the glove.

Urist McKiwi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18182 on: January 11, 2012, 06:13:55 pm »

No mods... I dont even have tiles or therapist, just a weird ass scorpion. I think there are previous combat reports of it beating a goblin to death with the glove.

It's just the scorpion's special way of saying "Screw you!". Sure, it could sting, impale, claw, trample or fling you over a cliff. But no. You see this glove? This small, fine, silken glove? It's going to hit you with it.

Again.
And Again.
And Again.

....until you BEG for death. And then it will hit you some more.

Still. At least it's not a demon with a spoon.

proxn_punkd

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a better dove story than Twilight
    • View Profile
« Reply #18183 on: January 11, 2012, 06:14:33 pm »

Mayor has banned the export of addy goods.

Thanks, Gemsquashed, you gave me a mayor who's into that stuff...

Jenniretta

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18184 on: January 11, 2012, 06:23:26 pm »

That is kind of badass, I must admit. I've had scorpion guards in forts but I never noticed one grabbing an item to use as a weapon, let alone becoming attached to one. I want this scorpion.

kisame12794

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Arc Welder!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18185 on: January 11, 2012, 09:54:37 pm »

A scorpion stole my crossbow and an arrow, aimed and shot me with it. Hit me in the gut, I retched, scorpion smashes my head with the crossbow, I fall unconcious, scorpion curb stomps me. In vannila.
The non-assholes vastly outnumber the assholes but the assholes can fart with greater volume.
((You're an arm and a torso in low orbit. This was the best possible resolution of things.))

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #18186 on: January 11, 2012, 10:06:20 pm »

That is kind of badass, I must admit. I've had scorpion guards in forts but I never noticed one grabbing an item to use as a weapon, let alone becoming attached to one. I want this scorpion.

GDS can use crossbows if they nab bolts and crossbows off someone.

Jenniretta

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18187 on: January 11, 2012, 10:30:33 pm »

GDS can use crossbows if they nab bolts and crossbows off someone.

Impressive for a creature without thumbs.

So far, in my fort, the walls are being extended, the miners are looking for ore (all we have so far is tin and silver, neither are good for armour, which we need badly) After a migrant wive the military has doubled in size, we now have two axe wielding psychos slaughtering icewolves while the masons work on the walls (the 2nd axe came from a caravan, bismuth bronze of low quality, but better than making the poor sap wrestle wolves).

I'm also building a slightly winding path leading into the fortress (with double-thick granite walls :) ), so invaders are faced with corners when they try to enter (since I'm using only melee military, and no traps or siege gear, and no locking down[invaders always have a path inside the fort],a few corners do a lot in evening the odds against bowmen, and the 3-wide path helps handle swarms of goblins from becoming too overwhelming)\

Update: (edited in to avoid 2x post)

The elves came, pointy eared bastards, I offer them a trade with them at a modest 300db profit, not too bad, they refuse... Okay, how about a 500 profit?
Refused again, and they arent willing to trade anymore... I NEED that wood, we have 35 dwarves and 5 beds, no buckets, only about 5 bins, I am getting my armok-damned wood! if the elves won't accept a profit, they will settle for a loss then, the wood is mine, as is all their cloth, buckets, splints, crutches, and booze, and a badger they brought with them because, hey, why not. They might attack now, but elves are the least of my concerns on this ice-wolf infested tundra, in the summer it's so cold their blood freezes, nothing grows here above ground, the caverns are crawling with giant toads and troglodytes, dealing with the damned elves would be a day off for my military at this point, at least they only attack with wooden weapons, not sharp teeth and claws.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2012, 11:55:17 pm by Jenniretta »

the woods

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18188 on: January 12, 2012, 12:38:59 am »

You have to let the traders net about 1000 for 'satisfied', 2000 for 'happy' and 3000 for 'ecstatic'. I think they just don't tell you that 300 isn't enough to pay their guards and feed their animals, merchants, and merchants' families. If there was a 'business expense' listed to be met it might help out guessing how much of a profit they want. Your fort sounds cool.

Jenniretta

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18189 on: January 12, 2012, 12:48:31 am »

You have to let the traders net about 1000 for 'satisfied', 2000 for 'happy' and 3000 for 'ecstatic'. I think they just don't tell you that 300 isn't enough to pay their guards and feed their animals, merchants, and merchants' families. If there was a 'business expense' listed to be met it might help out guessing how much of a profit they want. Your fort sounds cool.

Yeah I usually trade for a 1-2k profit to the elves, 2-4k for humans, and usually around 5-50k profit for the dwarves (<.< I sometimes go for a tiny bit of overkill with the dwarves profits) but I had almost no goods to trade this season (most of it left with the autumn caravan and everyone has been busy making useful objects like chairs, tables, walls, etc, not stone toys. I really need wood though, the only trees I can see in the caverns are behind a giant cave spider and a horde of troglodytes

In other news, A werewolf wandered onto the map and I wanted to see how the military handled him, my militia commander cut his head off, in one swing of his bismuth bronze axe, lol. I think their next test will be that pesky spider guarding the wood... (I would try to cage it for a silk farm, but no traps for this fort means no caged wildlife.)

Imp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18190 on: January 12, 2012, 12:51:58 am »

It seems to me that merchants expect profits based on a percentage of the transaction, and this is modified by various dwarfy skills and also by any previous transactions done at the current caravan.

In the early years, before the broker has much in the way of 'brokerage' skills, caravans seem to refuse trades that are less than 50% profit on the items you are after.  If you want 50 db in goods, they refuse trades less than 25 profit.  You want 10,000 db worth of stuff, better offer 5,000 profit.  Later in play, a 50% profit can make them happy indeed, if you see that happening it's time to reduce the percentage profit you are giving.
For every trouble under the sun, there is an answer, or there is none.
If there is one, then seek until you find it.
If there is none, then never ever mind it.

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18191 on: January 12, 2012, 12:55:44 am »

The dwarves of Vathezzan have arrived again.
Hot on their heels is a siege of goblins, including mace lords, master lasher, hammer lords, elite crossbowgoblins and a couple of trolls.

As my dwarves are still emotional from the last siege, I can't afford to lose anyone.

EDIT: The siege was broken with very little effort. A kobold ambush also occurred, but was taken apart by Lolor. A mace lord was struck down, but he definitely didn't have any friends.

Multiple dwarves have now got titles.

Lolor Ceilingwild the Searing Fortune of Crystal - five notable kills, all kobolds.
Udil Climaxtraded the Teeth of Assembling - nine notables, including a GCS, a troll and 7 goblins.
Aban Cloistergenius the Constructive Age of Assembling - six notable kills, a troll and five goblins.
Libash Yellowdagger the Oracular Elder of Binding - seven notables, four trolls, a kobold and two goblins.

Sadly, the entire caravan of Vathezzan was killed by the lasher squad.
I can't help but think the capital will be angry at me over this though. Being parent civ, they'll just have a smaller caravan next year for me.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2012, 01:44:44 am by Reudh »

jaxy15

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #18192 on: January 12, 2012, 09:24:10 am »

Troglodyte attack. A carpenter and an animal dissector (Who is now a doctor because he she can suture well) got nerve damage to their arm.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2012, 09:34:00 am by jaxy15 »
Dwarf Fortress: Threats of metabolism.

ancistrus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18193 on: January 12, 2012, 10:15:45 am »

Discovered a site where a brook spring starts in air and falls alongside a cliff into a lake.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
pretty nice i thought, but didnt want to start a thread just for that

jaxy15

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #18194 on: January 12, 2012, 10:28:28 am »

Discovered a site where a brook spring starts in air and falls alongside a cliff into a lake.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
pretty nice i thought, but didnt want to start a thread just for that
..Is that a waterfall?
Dwarf Fortress: Threats of metabolism.
Pages: 1 ... 1211 1212 [1213] 1214 1215 ... 3842