Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1162 1163 [1164] 1165 1166 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6095766 times)

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #17445 on: November 26, 2011, 12:49:38 am »

You could embark on a desert and channel down for grass.

In my fort:

I just got basically the best migrant wave ever. A high master furnace operator, an accomplished glassmaker (I have sand), a bowyer (I'm planning a marksdwarf-heavy defense), a moron with a bit of brewing skill (which is more than I previously had). Also a gem setter.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #17446 on: November 26, 2011, 12:58:07 am »

"Oh good my fisherdwarves are bringing in lots of fish!"

Look at river

Fish just piled there

Fisherdwarves never thought of bringing these fish back

wut

do you have a food storage?
and a fishery?
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

krisslanza

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17447 on: November 26, 2011, 02:17:37 am »

Just started a new settlement. We have fire clay and clay, but no kaolinite alas. Probably going to try to have a nice pottery industry going, in theory. Marble as well I've hit, and just using it as building material right now due to the time it takes to gather up some clay.

Oh right the name of the settlement is Kodorsarvesh, "Dawnfurnace" with the group being The Black Diamond.

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #17448 on: November 26, 2011, 04:01:07 am »

I'm trying to kill this fortress, but I can't bring myself to just destroy it, especially since I want to come back as an adventurer after, so I'm letting it run and only interfering now and then, waiting to see what happens. I've gotten several strange moods lately and I've been hoping for an artifact that might be useful for my adventurer. So far I've got a claystone table, a schist throne, a lignite mechanisms, a goat bone ring, and claystone mechanisms, a bauxite floodgate, a blue peafowl leather right glove, a cave spider silk cloak, and a tower-cap ring. Come ON guys. We've got loads of ore lying around - how about a WEAPON!?

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #17449 on: November 26, 2011, 04:51:05 am »

or armor, armor is nice too
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Newbunkle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17450 on: November 26, 2011, 06:06:05 am »

The FPS monster approaches, but I can't bring myself to give up on this place. My baroness is also my militia commander and has gained 59 kills of various sorts including two giantesseses and a cyclops. It's the first time I've not had total wipeouts when fighting invaders. She's a legendary fighter already and the other skills are catching up.

McDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17451 on: November 26, 2011, 09:06:12 am »

I've gotten several strange moods lately and I've been hoping for an artifact that might be useful for my adventurer. So far I've got a claystone table, a schist throne, a lignite mechanisms, a goat bone ring, and claystone mechanisms, a bauxite floodgate, a blue peafowl leather right glove, a cave spider silk cloak, and a tower-cap ring. Come ON guys. We've got loads of ore lying around - how about a WEAPON!?
A dwarf's profession can influence what she will make when she goes moody. Masons tend to make furniture like tables, thrones, and floodgates, mechanics make mechanisms, and dwarfs with useless skills make crafts. Weaponsmiths make weapons, and if they have a preference for as specific type of weapon, they will likely make one of those, so you know to forbid light stuff when the dwarf who likes hammers goes peculiar.

If you really want to get some weapons, I would recommend training up a lot of dwarves in weaponsmithing.

raptorfangamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Svenleton King
    • View Profile
« Reply #17452 on: November 26, 2011, 10:54:44 am »

I just made an automatic drowining trap and used some elven merchants to test it, I already got enough trade for the next human caravan.
"Tobar, whats that on the wall?"

"That, Urist, is a reminder not to piss me off..."

McDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17453 on: November 26, 2011, 01:30:00 pm »

The duke's wife was out looting a caravan that encountered a goblin ambush when I get a pop-up box:
The Tundra Titan Sluslor Kunmeslu (Sluslor Drumseasons) has come! An enormous quadruped composed of clear garnet. It has large mandibles at it bears a look of unbelievable peace.

The titan is between her and the entrance to the fortress, so she turns to run and the titan gives pursuit. Fortunately, an @ (diplomat?) was following her around for some reason and she was faster then the diplomat, who distracted the titan for a couple of steps. Unfortunately, her escape root led her into a cete of badgers.

To keep the duke happy, I mobilized the military and, as usual, one dwarf arrived at the scene alone. This time it was Led, an axedwarf. The titan couldn't touch him, so he eventually hacked it to pieces. Then I get the message:
Led Rithotung Torasartum Led has bestowed the name Kastsheget Gishgilnom (Geniushorn the Contemptible God) upon a steel battle axe!

The rest of the squad eventually showed up, so I set them after the badgers. Might as well give them some joy from slaughter after forcing them into the nauseating gaze of the sun.

MaxZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Doot doodoo de doo
    • View Profile
« Reply #17454 on: November 26, 2011, 03:22:03 pm »

Repelled my first Goblin Siege, lost 2 dwarves in the process, a major improvement from previous botched ambush defences. I've since completed my perimeter wall and weapon trapped entrances, a further ambush was sliced to bits, quite pleased. Next task i reckon will be to make a little above ground fort-construction thingy with moat  for whatever bashes through the outer wall in the future

Iren

• Bay Watcher
  • I BREW THE BEER I DRINK
    • View Profile
    • Blog
« Reply #17455 on: November 26, 2011, 03:56:42 pm »

Trapped an ettin and made a nice dungeon for him to execute prisioners.
Your mother was a hamster and your father smelt of elderberries!

Zaerosz

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼sperm whale leather thong☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #17456 on: November 26, 2011, 05:55:36 pm »

A memorial slab was engraved today for the lone bandit swordsman who valiantly defended his fellow traders from no less than fifteen trolls with a broken leg and a steel sabre. His kill count at the time of death was one goblin pikeman and one troll, and he severed the hand of another troll shortly before his demise. He fought fifteen trolls for nine days before his defeat. We salute you, Akan Boybowls. May your flesh become one with the earth and your soul one with Armok.

EDIT: Also it appears we're on page 700. Woo!
« Last Edit: November 26, 2011, 06:01:29 pm by Zaerosz »
くコ:彡

Newbunkle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17457 on: November 26, 2011, 06:54:39 pm »

Monsters are starting to show up quite regularly. I saw my first Roc today. It ran straight into a cage and ended up in the pitting room. I dropped it down and sent my militia in to have a go at it. It ripped the leg off of a dwarf and flew up out of the pit. Oops - must make a mental note to lock the hatches.

I should mention that these guys are supposed to have spears, but one of them seems to have picked up a hammer. I'm not sure how that happened. Random Hammerdwarf was the one with his leg ripped off by the way.

Anyway, the Roc immediately caged itself. Thank Kermit I put some cage traps in the pitting room entrance. I dumped it back down and the fight continued. My baroness disabled it by stabbing its wing and one of its legs, then some lowly recruit ran in and stole her kill. Not long after that we had a forest Titan show up. It ripped off another dwarf's hand before the baroness stabbed it through the head.

I've captured a siege and will be using them for training soon. We have a squad of trolls, and two squads of goblins. I also seem to have captured a random nightwing and a couple of buzzards.

UristMcHuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17458 on: November 26, 2011, 07:59:09 pm »

I just started digging my entrance hall, and there's CAVE MOSS starting to grow in the dirt sections. I have not breached The Caverns as of yet, so I have no idea as to what's going on.

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #17459 on: November 27, 2011, 03:22:02 am »

I just started digging my entrance hall, and there's CAVE MOSS starting to grow in the dirt sections. I have not breached The Caverns as of yet, so I have no idea as to what's going on.

This happened to me once too but I never figured out why. I don't know if it's a bug, or if there's some way to get plants to grow naturally like that without breaching the caves. I'd be interested to find out.
Pages: 1 ... 1162 1163 [1164] 1165 1166 ... 3842