Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1058 1059 [1060] 1061 1062 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6094651 times)

azrael4h

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Dwarf Fortress-centric You Tube videos, part of my nominally vintage gaming channel.
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #15885 on: August 28, 2011, 10:54:49 am »

Started a new fort, and hit the jackpot. Iron and gems and even coal everywhere. Platinum made up an entire hill just about.

So I get started, digging out the beginnings of a grand entrance hall, building a bridge over the river, setting up some basic defenses and even built a drowning room. Got the farms going, and as autumn came... BSOD. Lost everything.

Well, two seasons passed? Get them autosaves now. Nothing is lost~~

/facepalm. I haven't played in a long while, so I had forgotten about autosave!
EDIT 1
No save around? Still lost...
EDIT 2
I had forgotten to tweak the init file. So it was set to no autosave by default.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2011, 11:03:57 am by azrael4h »

Kaleb702 Games

• Bay Watcher
  • nearlyNonexistent
    • View Profile
    • My YYG Account
« Reply #15886 on: August 28, 2011, 01:36:20 pm »

Riverburn is being founded. Second try now. 0 metal on a map that was supposed to have metal. D:
EDIT:
Again!
This must be broken. *Regen!*
« Last Edit: August 28, 2011, 01:38:33 pm by Kaleb702 Games »
Quote from: Rose Lalonde, Seer of Light
One simple word can so easily begin a story in a very thick book.

FrisianDude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15887 on: August 28, 2011, 01:42:59 pm »

A troglodyte fell into a 2-deep ditch with upright training spears at the bottom and just... stopped existing. There is no corpse. Only blood and a message that the troglodyte was knocked unconscious. The combination of weapon trap with a bunch of training spears with another one behind it with four crossbows has taken out/repelled quite a lot of little beasties, but this splash was unique. Maybe because it was the first to fall on the spears.

Also, I noticed that a cave crocodile in a cage had a name. Turns out it mauled a fisherdwarf and I hadn't even seen the combat report. That Dwarf's death was definitely my fault because I had removed the fishing zone when the Goblin siege (15 spears, one axe) appeared.  :-\

Edit; oh goodie. Threat gone because I accidentally saw the inventory of the blooddrenched F. This crashed my game. :( I should have said mid-fight.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2011, 02:17:35 pm by FrisianDude »
A tiny, foul-tempered humanoid creature that dwells in the evil mountains. They are known to enjoy drinking liquor and will take any unguarded supplies of booze.

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #15888 on: August 28, 2011, 04:02:32 pm »

Suddenly, zerg rush in Numtosid. Well, shruk rush. Moar dead, moar injured.

I've decided to stop picking just useless dwarves and drafted also haulers and those from groups of 4-5 dwarves. Got sixteen recruits this way. They are dressed up and now training.

Oooh and we just hit 0 on food counter. Great. Time to make seed biscui- What do you mean we don't have plump helmet spawns? ...Fffffffuuu-
SigFlags!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

Oaktree

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15889 on: August 28, 2011, 04:14:41 pm »

A troglodyte fell into a 2-deep ditch with upright training spears at the bottom and just... stopped existing. There is no corpse.

Do a "t" and look at the trap.  The body is probably stuck *in* it.  I had miasma all over my one section after a siege was repulsed and did not find corpses until I checked my spike traps and found about half a dozen rotting troll corpses in it.
Armorer McUrist cancels forge steel mailshirt, interrupted by minecart

FrisianDude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15890 on: August 28, 2011, 04:21:03 pm »

Ah, good call. Though it is an upright spear instead of a weapon trap, so I'm not sure if that's possible. But I can't check because I'm relatively sure that that troglodeath was before my game crashed; after I last saved.
A tiny, foul-tempered humanoid creature that dwells in the evil mountains. They are known to enjoy drinking liquor and will take any unguarded supplies of booze.

Oaktree

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15891 on: August 28, 2011, 04:27:31 pm »

Tower Divine finished cleaning up the access tunnel of goblinite and went back to building. 

The magma pump stack has gone on-line and I have a magma reservoir at fortress level.  Now to do something with it...
- An obsidian casting facility is under construction; setting up the tunnels and floodgates to run water and magma there now.
- A water shaft down to the Magma Sea is in place to fill a cistern there.  That's for doing minor obsidian casting around spoilerite formations.  I have found three spires and two have essentially been mined out while the extent of the third is still being tested.
- Marksdwarves are training on some armored goblins in the arena area.  A militia leader got his 5th kill and adopted the extended name of:
Rith Alathod Saramlimar Idek (Rith Bolttunneled the Great Wealth of Brains)

And there was a grizzly bear incursion down a tunnel while it was being patrolled by a full-time axe dwarf unit.  Three body chops and then a decapitation coup de grace shot.

Artifact building is still mainly craftdwarf workshop stuff.  Jewelry, toys, etc.   :-[ 

And a new FB has appeared.  A flying work with noxious secretions.  That's further contamination of the underground lakes.  Time to build another set of traps down there and nail him and the feathered croc that is swimming around.
Armorer McUrist cancels forge steel mailshirt, interrupted by minecart

Ross Vernal

• Bay Watcher
  • Hilarity ensues.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15892 on: August 28, 2011, 05:06:14 pm »

Project Re-Re-Re-Route The River Back Into The River In Two Spots Oh And Also A Drowning Trap is nearing completion.

Also, this

http://img12.imageshack.us/img12/7932/kingyb.jpg

FrisianDude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15893 on: August 28, 2011, 05:08:43 pm »

Ah, good call. Though it is an upright spear instead of a weapon trap, so I'm not sure if that's possible. But I can't check because I'm relatively sure that that troglodeath was before my game crashed; after I last saved.

FLARKING TOOTING. My game crashed again because I accidentally checked the inventory of a blood-covered groundhog. Just four mentions of blood so I really don't see why it had to crash. Goddamn.

nickbii

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15894 on: August 28, 2011, 05:33:38 pm »

My fort was incredibly boring, and not at all interesting, until I started training up an engraver.

Now I have dozens of engravings of the epic battle between Snexa Sportmunks the Ettin and Littast Bronzeassault the Dwarf in Year 3. And by "epic battle" I mean the Ettin killed the dwarf.

I hope Snexa's the first mega-beast, so I can feed my engravers some Senxa Sportmunks tallow biscuits.

Nick

Kaleb702 Games

• Bay Watcher
  • nearlyNonexistent
    • View Profile
    • My YYG Account
« Reply #15895 on: August 28, 2011, 05:39:28 pm »

Riverburn founded again..
Only microcline and lignite.
WHAT
EDIT:
Again... again... again...
NOOOOOTHING. *Regen AGAIN*
« Last Edit: August 28, 2011, 05:42:23 pm by Kaleb702 Games »
Quote from: Rose Lalonde, Seer of Light
One simple word can so easily begin a story in a very thick book.

BloodBeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15896 on: August 28, 2011, 06:03:05 pm »

531 proved to be a very very bad year for goblin kind... 3 large sieges with a record high death toll of 197. My defences are very open so 1/3 of siegers usually run away to the maps edge but my dwarves let very few escape this year.

11 dwarves managed to add 10+ kills to their records and a swordsdwarf called Hollywood beat out everyone with 16. It's her 3rd time being slayer of the year as well as capturing the #2 spot for most notable kills in a single year. Deadpool, another swordsdwarf holds the #1 spot having killed 19 goblins in 506.

Notable kill tally of Daggerdepths' military:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Year 532? TOURNAMENT #4!  :D

UristMcDonald

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15897 on: August 28, 2011, 06:05:49 pm »

I am preparing to drop eighteen hundred cubic meters of water on a group of badgers!

Niccolo

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Sweet top hat]
    • View Profile
« Reply #15898 on: August 28, 2011, 06:39:09 pm »

The process of digging out my arena is going ahead in full.

More to the point, it's two arenas: One for my champion to face off against as many goblins as he or she so chooses... and another that's a set of thin ledges, twisting passages and multiple levels for combat with real danger and excitement. The entire thing will be lined with windows, too, so as to allow my civilian dwarves to watch in peace.

Minor goblin incursion through a hole in a wall which I forgot about... my war badgers and war bears made short work of them.
What's wrong with using magma? That's almost always the easiest method.
I have issues channeling it properly to do that method. I end up flooding the fortress with magma.
Check out my RtD!

azrael4h

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Dwarf Fortress-centric You Tube videos, part of my nominally vintage gaming channel.
« Reply #15899 on: August 28, 2011, 08:21:45 pm »

Once again I start anew, this time at Copperabbey. Having troubles with food, thanks to a number of immigrants, and the fact I forgot any nest boxes so my chickens never lay eggs. I slaughtered most of the chickens and a yak to beef up the stocks a bit, and got someone with no idea what they're doing (a soap maker) out hunting badgers for more, and another looking for surface food to further supplement the supplies. Gotta figure out where and how to establish the surface farming area without exposing the main fort and with keeping it connected to my main agricultural center. Granted, the massive, untrapped, unguarded, and with no way to seal it entrance could be an issue with security.

At least it's almost time for a caravan, so I can see what I can steal and what I can order. Hopefully I can get an anvil so I can get my smith to make a few picks and maybe some weapons.

Again plenty of iron (though not as much as waxbook) and a fair amount of gems has been uncovered. So I can quickly amass some wealth if I can just survive to another migrant wave. 
Pages: 1 ... 1058 1059 [1060] 1061 1062 ... 3842