Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1056 1057 [1058] 1059 1060 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6094079 times)

ArKFallen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bohandean Desserter
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #15855 on: August 27, 2011, 11:30:58 am »

I got a very large migrant wave. According to Therapist it was 23 large :o. Unfortunately for the dwarves, they spawned on the wrong side of the river and waterfalls. And according to pathing this
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
is the only way across! It has already claimed the lives of four five, and my other dorfs are too busy stockpiling and planting to build the bridges across. This winter I'm walling in that waterfall, and possibly making that my fort entrance.

This is the very beginning of my second year and I've already lost 7 dwarves (before the waterfall deaths), including my old broker and recorder/manager, and have one (maybe 2) cripples. Captured 7 undead, killed 27, and had 3 named skely deer (why only deer?).
All in all, this is a good embark. ^_^

Edit: Right after I posted this my weaver went fey, claimed a Craftshop, and demanded body parts and rough gems. ???

Edit 2: I just noticed that one of my new migrants is pissed, so I check out why.
She has lost a child to tragedy recently. She has lost a spouse to tradegy recently. She was comforted by a lovely waterfall.
 :P
« Last Edit: August 27, 2011, 11:44:02 am by ArKFallen »
Hm, have you considered murder?  It's either that or letting it go.
SigText
I logged back on ;_;

FrisianDude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15856 on: August 27, 2011, 11:47:57 am »

Giant Cave Spider appeared. It webbed an engraver and a bowyer. Engraver was lucky, bowyer's head was macerated and masticated and the spider injected poison. A presser appeared and punched the spider a couple of times before the presser too was webbed and injected. The first of my militia then arrived and punched the spider to no effect, so she started taking legs off with the large copper dagger one of the dear goblins had brought. She removed two legs and part of a third before just killing the spider. Less then a minute later both the presser and the bowyer bled to death.

Edit; I said appeared but it had appeared earlier and tried twice before to pass two weak weapon traps (one with four crossbows behind one with ten training spears; all weapons and ammo wooden) with a 1 z-level deep ditch in front of it which had actually wounded it quite well.

Edit 2; as I was deepening that ditch I accidentally prevented my miner from being able to come back to the main fortress. While she was trying to build a single-floor bridge a giant olm appeared and chased him away twice. The miner then went back into the ditch and started with my proposed escape tunnel but instead of making the second part she went and killed the olm with four legendary blows. :P
« Last Edit: August 27, 2011, 11:59:25 am by FrisianDude »
A tiny, foul-tempered humanoid creature that dwells in the evil mountains. They are known to enjoy drinking liquor and will take any unguarded supplies of booze.

Ross Vernal

• Bay Watcher
  • Hilarity ensues.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15857 on: August 27, 2011, 12:14:19 pm »

One of my dorfs solo'd a dragon with an axe and a full set of wood armor I somehow hadn't forbidden.

He also OHK'd the dragon.

malimbar04

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15858 on: August 27, 2011, 12:14:49 pm »

Edit 2: I just noticed that one of my new migrants is pissed, so I check out why.
She has lost a child to tragedy recently. She has lost a spouse to tradegy recently. She was comforted by a lovely waterfall.
 :P
Just think migrant - that waterfall now carries the souls of your loved ones. Every time it washes down, you can imagine the beautiful... oh fuck it, the waterfall is a murderer, and she's a dwarf. That waterfall is a freaking hero, and needs to be memorialized.
No! No! I will not massacre my children. Instead, I'll make them corpulent on crappy mass-produced quarry bush biscuits and questionably grown mushroom alcohol, and then send them into the military when they turn 12...

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15859 on: August 27, 2011, 01:10:03 pm »

At one point my baroness threw two tantrums in a row. Looking at her status, the only thing that could possibly piss her off that bad was being "utterly traumatized at a lesser's pretensious sleeping arrangements". The only problem with that was that the only dwarf whose bedroom was so good it drove the baroness almost to insanity was her husband. That's right, she was extremely pissed off at her husband sharing a room with her. Or maybe someone slept in the dining hall(which had a no-quality gold statue, and an artifact galena statue in it).

Also fought off a siege, which had a kangaroo demon leading it. From experience(read: savescum), this kangaroo's skin is more or less impervious to high quality steel spears and silver warhammers(both only left bruises), and spews a poisonous vapor that first inflicts numbness, followed by the complete breakdown of the victim's entire circulatory system, resulting in a quick(and presumably painless, due to the numbing effect) death by massive internal bleeding. Round one with the bastard had 80% of my military getting covered in the stuff before I knew what it did.

Round two was only won because half the goblin force hit cage traps, or got bolts rained on them. I lost one Marksdwarf, who was too stupid to run inside the gate(along with a Speardwarf) before it closed, but even he started beating the hell out of some of the bowgoblin cavalry before a giant olm ripped out his throat. After they sounded the retreat, I ordered my military to sally out to finish off any survivors. That Speardwarf who stayed outside ran up to a wounded goblin, and stabbed out its pancreas, then twisted her spear.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #15860 on: August 27, 2011, 01:21:25 pm »

Having silly amounts of iron (yay for multiple layers of siltstone) but no flux, I am paving all internal surfaces with iron. I like to imagine the clank of my military dorfs iron boots on iron treadplate as they stomp around...
This is a blank sig.

UristMcHuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15861 on: August 27, 2011, 01:40:01 pm »

I had 10k points to start with, and my dwarves have the ability to perform [OUTDOOR_FARMING].

I brought 640 mudstone boulders along with lots of above-ground goodies. I had only one layer of soil (silty clay) before hitting phyllite.
Either a Mudstone city wall+clay huts+phyllite catapult ammo,
phyllite city wall+mudstone huts,
clay everything,
mudstone everything,
phyllite everything,
mudstone city wall+phyllite huts,
or phyllite city wall+clay huts+ mudstone catapult ammo.

I'm gonna go with the first.

I also brought insane amounts of wood and leather, too, for reasons I can't explain. I also let my dwarves use Civ Forge Longbows. In short, because of a MASSIVE mistake, the RAWs went back to vanilla type with the CF files still in it, so I had to give my dwarves back the CF weapons. I actually modded their size--and the sizes of most other sapient creatures of vanilla DF and CF--to that of humans to prevent armor and weapon restriction issues.

Simply put, my Dwarves are the most weapon-alogically advanced race (having the most practical weapons at their hands), but, along with humans and goblins, are the least technologically advanced (having lost their Blast Furnace, Finishing Forge, Crucible Furnace, and Crystal Furnace).

Oaktree

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15862 on: August 27, 2011, 03:33:17 pm »

Winter is ending at Divine Tower with a goblin siege.  Led by their civilization's general!

The seven attacking squads (spear, pike, sword, xbow, archer, two sets of trolls)  promptly stomped into the access tunnels.  The sword squad and pike squad, the former led by the general himself used the eastern tunnel.  The rest piled into the western tunnel.

At my first line of weapon traps in the east tunnel the *unarmored* general took a spiked silver ball to the head and died.  The leader of the pike squad dodged another trap in the line into a ditch.  Their soldiers are milling about and not doing much and either finding the ditch or eventually getting chopped up by a trap.

The western assault went right into the grinder.  The trolls that survived the initial traps tried to take out the outer grinder hatches - and got nailed by the lever-driven spike traps placed there to deal with that tactic.  The rest of the squads are in various states of dismemberment with their leaders dead or already in cage traps.  The inner line of cage traps before the *open* inner gate is still untouched.  Once the Master Lasher gets trapped or killed the waiting militia will be unleashed.  (Well, the militia got two on the west, then went and attacked the milling goblins in the east tunnel.  A 6-on-10 scrum that resulted in zero dwarf injuries.  The reserve marksdwarves are now practicing on the goblins stuck in the ditch.)

And a lone troll waits outside since she was late for the outer tunnel gates swinging closed.  She will get some company soon once the postern gate is opened.

In other news the magma stack is almost operational.  Just putting final touches on the upper reservoir before throwing the switch to power the system.  And I found out that magma *will* melt a open artifact floodgate if it is not magma-proof material.  :o

And right before the year ends a dwarf withdraws from society and makes a 1,380,000 dwarf buck adamantine axe!   :D  Except that it was raw adamantine, a craftsdwarf workshop, and he made a toy axe!  :'(  The artifact is appropriately named "SadnessShowers".)
« Last Edit: August 27, 2011, 05:04:53 pm by Oaktree »
Armorer McUrist cancels forge steel mailshirt, interrupted by minecart

Kilroy the Grand

• Bay Watcher
  • I only want to give you a small kiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #15863 on: August 27, 2011, 04:07:00 pm »

*pew* *blam* "Aughgghggurglegurgle..." *slither* *slither* *pit* *pat* *tap* *click-click* *BOOM* "Aiiieeegurgle gurgle..."
X-com meets Dwarf Fortress

Ross Vernal

• Bay Watcher
  • Hilarity ensues.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15864 on: August 27, 2011, 04:09:42 pm »

Normally I'd guess that was a female dorf, but then I didn't see the beard.

You appear to have a pregnant elf in your fortress. Quick, put her in a pasture with an Elf male!

UristMcDonald

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15865 on: August 27, 2011, 04:11:07 pm »

I just realized that my community fort was made for a dead civilization  :'(. My current plan is to close the gates, reclaim, and name the dwarves exactly what they were named before.

C0NNULL

• Bay Watcher
  • A bastion of crazy in a small area near Hurricanes
    • View Profile
« Reply #15866 on: August 27, 2011, 04:34:18 pm »

*smiles at Trogdor the Burninator*

The cat, Anom, approves of Scamps' methods. She admires fine scars on her human's body. She purrs in a method most disturbing. She thinks Scamps needs to train the human better. She rolls on the floor in a luxurious pile of catnip. She attacks her human lightly.
Rimamused  -  Dorfen Itza

Kilroy the Grand

• Bay Watcher
  • I only want to give you a small kiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #15867 on: August 27, 2011, 04:48:21 pm »

*smiles at Trogdor the Burninator*

It's what I imagine a *masterwork* forgotten beast statue looks like.
*pew* *blam* "Aughgghggurglegurgle..." *slither* *slither* *pit* *pat* *tap* *click-click* *BOOM* "Aiiieeegurgle gurgle..."
X-com meets Dwarf Fortress

Ross Vernal

• Bay Watcher
  • Hilarity ensues.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15868 on: August 27, 2011, 05:14:32 pm »

In order to attract the King, I'm paving the way from my trade depot to the end of the map in gold nuggets.

Also, I'm expanding my aboveground gold vaults.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15869 on: August 27, 2011, 05:39:18 pm »

Well, seven dead dwarves later I'm down to fifteen depressed types standing around out in the front yard. :-\
Now I just need to stop 'em from going back in to loot the bodies... Can someone tell me how to forbid an area, like a traffic zone? Haven't done that before.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.
Pages: 1 ... 1056 1057 [1058] 1059 1060 ... 3842