Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1057 1058 [1059] 1060 1061 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6094372 times)

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #15870 on: August 27, 2011, 06:22:10 pm »

Well, seven dead dwarves later I'm down to fifteen depressed types standing around out in the front yard. :-\
Now I just need to stop 'em from going back in to loot the bodies... Can someone tell me how to forbid an area, like a traffic zone? Haven't done that before.

I don't know any way to forbid an area, you have to go the long way and designate areas dwarves are allowed to go. If your just trying to keep them from going towards the bojects you can always mass forbid them with D>B>F.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15871 on: August 27, 2011, 06:59:05 pm »

Okay, I guess I'll just do that, thanks. This is epic... The stockpiles are all bursting into flames, and the lava just keeps spewing down the mountain!
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

UristMcDonald

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15872 on: August 27, 2011, 07:05:53 pm »

My Badger-Rehabilitation-Project, which involves capturing as many badgers as possible and drowning them in revenge for the peasant they knocked into a murky pool, is going swimmingly... Except that there are more badgers than cages, and the badgers know. THEY KNOW! There's three separate conga lines parading around. All my traps are filled and they just keep coming...

Ross Vernal

• Bay Watcher
  • Hilarity ensues.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15873 on: August 27, 2011, 08:32:52 pm »

Basically, in the middle of my brook, I have a pump stack sucking all the water up 3 Z-levels to come down through my dining room and a few bedrooms before exiting at the bottom of the natural waterfall.

The problem is, the stack made the natural waterfall vanish. So, I'm building a new pump stack to run the river water back up and into the river a few steps down of the original stack. Or, alternately, into an area I have designated the "Unusually Large Drowning Trap", depending on the throw of a lever.

Agent_Irons

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15874 on: August 28, 2011, 03:11:01 am »

I have decided to vanilla FD, set up the main level of my fort in the caverns, and doesn't afraid of anything. So far I have about as many coffins as beds, umpteen billion tantrums, and no military whatsoever. Sadness.

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15875 on: August 28, 2011, 03:18:32 am »

Metalcrafter failed a mood. Went stark raving mad, then i lost power to the computer. Back a few hours. D:

C0NNULL

• Bay Watcher
  • A bastion of crazy in a small area near Hurricanes
    • View Profile
« Reply #15876 on: August 28, 2011, 04:44:44 am »

So the metalcrafter went nuts and pulled out a wire from your computer... Well, we're all good to go. Just what we need; semi-sentient idiots going nuts and animating themselves enough to cause actual harm to our computers. What next, my beer?
The cat, Anom, approves of Scamps' methods. She admires fine scars on her human's body. She purrs in a method most disturbing. She thinks Scamps needs to train the human better. She rolls on the floor in a luxurious pile of catnip. She attacks her human lightly.
Rimamused  -  Dorfen Itza

AWdeV

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15877 on: August 28, 2011, 04:52:40 am »

Kind of how several mountain titans and forgotten beasts (and a GCS) had the special ability of making my game crash.
Teenage Bearded Axelord Turtles
Teenage Bearded Axelord Turtles
Urists in a half shell (Turtle Power)

igmas

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #15878 on: August 28, 2011, 06:11:07 am »

Picture say it all. I struck a adamantite vein that had a open pipe all the way down to hell..

Took about 1 h for the demons to burn above ground, kill everyone(Left the sick and jailed dwarfs to last) and flood the fortress. One wrestler dwarf survived 30mins against 3 demons and he was Unconscious half of the time.

8 years and 205 dwarfs at its peek and now nothing left but rubble..

JacenHanLovesLegos

• Bay Watcher
  • A medium-sized creature prone to great ambition.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15879 on: August 28, 2011, 07:53:24 am »

Been a while since I've had that message...

(I never really mine past the first cavern until I have to)
As it turns out, the pen was in fact a poor choice for melee combat in comparison to the sword.
So I just started playing this game and I accidentally nuked the moon.

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #15880 on: August 28, 2011, 09:19:12 am »

Numtosid, Windarmor, is under siege.

First it was goblins - the greenskins a rather tough cookie because this time they brought an elite crossbow guy who shot down three of our hammerdwarves before melee battle ensued. In total, the city lost five, with another five now in beds.

And then, the dire, high-pitched war horn of Vishne has been heard.

Now those are gods of steel and four-arm-wrestling art. They are willing to wait at a hill until we become better hunting game. I'm scrambling whatever armor and weapons I get can from corpses of the fallen, goblin equipment is melted and new recruits are equipped and sent to train like mad.

So far, ten recruits have been drafted. I hope that the remaining healthy veterans + fresh guys with some training will succeed.

I will have fun anyways :P
SigFlags!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15881 on: August 28, 2011, 09:28:52 am »

Human merchants got ambushed by goblins, the merchants' donkeys take a beating but none of them die and they continue into my fortress.  I'm happy about the merchant guards' ability to defend their charges and then I spot the small hitch in my plans of trading with the humans this year.

"No! What are you doing don't drag that unconscious donkey over those..." *chop slice hack chop puree WillItBlend? bloodspray* "...serrated disk traps..."
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

azrael4h

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Dwarf Fortress-centric You Tube videos, part of my nominally vintage gaming channel.
« Reply #15882 on: August 28, 2011, 09:40:44 am »

Started a new fort, and hit the jackpot. Iron and gems and even coal everywhere. Platinum made up an entire hill just about.

So I get started, digging out the beginnings of a grand entrance hall, building a bridge over the river, setting up some basic defenses and even built a drowning room. Got the farms going, and as autumn came... BSOD. Lost everything.

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #15883 on: August 28, 2011, 09:56:43 am »

Started a new fort, and hit the jackpot. Iron and gems and even coal everywhere. Platinum made up an entire hill just about.

So I get started, digging out the beginnings of a grand entrance hall, building a bridge over the river, setting up some basic defenses and even built a drowning room. Got the farms going, and as autumn came... BSOD. Lost everything.

Well, two seasons passed? Get them autosaves now. Nothing is lost~~

Update on Numtosid: Vishne have been beaten, but we lost ten veteran hammer and axedwarves and two children of the squad commander. I have to make new recruits somehow but I'm already running out of peasants.
SigFlags!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #15884 on: August 28, 2011, 10:01:00 am »

Wow, it's my first time posting about my fort experiences in this thread, primarily because I never had any forts that went past basic digging. 

My fort, forgot the name, has been going moderately well, no aquifier, no deaths, nothing.  I dug out some stuff, made a wooden wall around the hole in the ground that is my entrance.  In the process of training some recruits ( for the first time ever ).  My fort's main food supply right now comes from fishing in the nearby river, hopefully my farms work. 

And that's about it.  My most successful fort so far, 11 inhabitants, a few tamed animals, nothing special.  Other than the fact that I can now actually have fun in Fortress Mode.  Perhaps, in time, I can be considered a true Dwarf Fortress player.  I'll need magma, though...
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.
Pages: 1 ... 1057 1058 [1059] 1060 1061 ... 3842