Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1060 1061 [1062] 1063 1064 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6094674 times)

Crazy Cow

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Procrastinator
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #15915 on: August 29, 2011, 08:16:32 am »

So, I'm playing a modded evil race, and all of my... people have evil names like "Nightmare" and "Malice" (translated, of course (What? I'm curious!)). My mason's name is Lie, and every time I get the message "Lie has created a masterpiece!" I chuckle out loud. I'm getting looks from the guys in the lounge with me.

FrisianDude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15916 on: August 29, 2011, 08:26:54 am »

I tend to organize tombs family-wise; a dead mechanic is buried in his tomb but in the same room his wife also has a tomb. The wife is still alive. Turns out the two of them have a baby daughter but the daughter IS NOT in my u-list and I can't assign a tomb. So I checked the baby herself; she is happy to be free. DAMN. That means the Goblins got her, doesn't it?

Edit; whoops-a-daisy, I found the third cavern. A while ago I made, more or less by mistake, an up/down staircase in the little pit some enemies have already died in and I noticed it was marble there. I dug another piece of staircase there because I wanted the marble and I found the third cavern. Only one z-level between the second and the third, too. Lossa marble in the third level. And the vaunted metal, of course. No iron so the marble is mostly for the pretty, but still.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2011, 08:40:36 am by FrisianDude »
A tiny, foul-tempered humanoid creature that dwells in the evil mountains. They are known to enjoy drinking liquor and will take any unguarded supplies of booze.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15917 on: August 29, 2011, 08:45:46 am »

Well, Clashcloisters is still in trouble. Four more dwarves died when the magma reached the crude shack they were forced to live in, and they were too slow to follow orders to move.
The survivors moved uphill to where the miners were digging out a simple little cave... But somehow, they struck water, which predictably started pouring out of the hole.
They dug another hole down below, which is where the dwarves are staying for now. It's damp, and cramped, and really quite poor accomodation, but the newly-created waterfall outside is preventing a full-scale riot. For now.

Seriously, this is a really strange embark! Judging by the water that poured out from the mountainside, I'd say I have a cavern in a mountain... :o Needs further investigation!
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

lazygun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15918 on: August 29, 2011, 08:59:19 am »

More likely an aquifer.

I just breached the caverns under the magma sea, for the first time in 31.25. One solitary locked floor hatch stands between Gildautumn and 75 nasties.

No, make that 103.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2011, 09:01:18 am by lazygun »

FrisianDude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15919 on: August 29, 2011, 09:26:27 am »

Gotta cyclope. Inna cage. 'cause it couldn't resist the temptation of attacking the chained cavy sow working as outpost.

Edit; hell. :D
In the two fortresses I've had on this world a lot of the statues made were of the Hyena monster Zestto Athurer (or Splashmoistened) killing Goblins. With sometimes statues of Goblins killing humans, most notably the goblin Atu Frozenfly havving killed multiple humans and being killed by Zestto Athurer.
I just looked into the civ screen and Zestto Athurer leads the Immortal Confederacy; the Human nation I trade with. HAH!
« Last Edit: August 29, 2011, 09:48:00 am by FrisianDude »
A tiny, foul-tempered humanoid creature that dwells in the evil mountains. They are known to enjoy drinking liquor and will take any unguarded supplies of booze.

UristMcHuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15920 on: August 29, 2011, 12:40:48 pm »

Embarking in one of my three v0.31.24 Civ Forge+Wanderer's Friend+10k embark point+cheated smelter worlds.

Found a really good site. Stream, heavy conifer forest, clay, it either said flux stone or deep metals, and no aquifer. Calm surroundings. I'm clearing out the area to make a city-state type fortress, with clay walls, clay brick inner housings, wooden farmer's huts outside the walls, and lots of good houses. I will make a 21x21 keep out of stone in the centre eventually, but that's when I get a Baron(ess). I've also removed the tags that make dwarves [ALCOHOL_DEPENDENT], so they'll have no problem drinking water. I'll also have a half dozen pubs with booze and prepared meal stockpiles in their basements. Stone block roads will be placed in a street-style pattern in the city walls with dirt paths being dug outside. Once I'm done, the area should look like a grassland, with a few bushes of bamboo and some trees here and there.

Yes, I'm going to log the WHOLE map, even when the Elves ask me not to chop down more than a hundred or so trees. So I'll probably be facing a few elven sieges with them firing their wooden arrows at my walls. I will have my Longbowmen fire back at them with arrows of iron, and my swordsmen will deal with them shortly after my archers have taken out a good deal of the enemy.

Military will be laid out like this:
Swordsmen: Iron chainmail with iron bucklers and iron longswords.
Spearmen: Iron chainmail with iron breastplates, iron shields and iron spears.
Pikemen: Iron chainmail with iron breastplates and iron pikes.
Halberdiers: Iron chainmail with iron halberds.
Knights: Steel chainmail with steel breastplates, steel shields and steel war axes. Children of royalty.
Landsknechts (German mercenary): Iron chainmail with iron breastplates and iron two-handed swords. Elite swordsmen.
Archers: Leather armor with wooden shortbows and iron arrows.
Crossbowmen: Leather armor with wooden crossbows and iron bolts.
Longbowmen: Iron breastplate with wooden longbows and steel arrows. Elite archer.
Paladin: Bismuth bronze chainmail with bismuth bronze shields and silver skullcrackers. Elite knight.
Priest: Own clothing with wooden bucklers and silver maces. Defends temple.
Militia: Leather armor with wooden shields and bronze spears. Anyone inside the city walls.
Farmer militia: Own clothing with copper spears. Anyone with homes outside the city walls.
Hunter militia: Own clothing with wooden crossbows and wooden bolts. Anyone with hunting skills.
Woodcutter militia: Own clothing with any axe in their hands. Anyone with woodworking skills.

Sorry for the long post.

Ross Vernal

• Bay Watcher
  • Hilarity ensues.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15921 on: August 29, 2011, 01:21:24 pm »

I'm creating a dump pile of elf, goblin, and troll corpses/bones/skulls/body parts outside my main gates and all the way through my Invader Doom Path. At least, the start of it, for now, since there's a whole lot of corpses I can't retrieve laying in my drown-dodge trap and my FB-wielding-a-silk-tunic trap.

I figure it shall serve as an impressive warning.

http://img651.imageshack.us/img651/7014/deathyf.jpg

Ross Vernal

• Bay Watcher
  • Hilarity ensues.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15922 on: August 29, 2011, 01:34:25 pm »

...Or not. My save file just up and deleted itself for no apparent reason.

UristMcDonald

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15923 on: August 29, 2011, 01:44:19 pm »

I have breached the top cavern. It's a very nice one, water for two or three z-levels, lots of iron ore. I need a place to empty my Badger Rehabilitation Device too, and the Caverns are the perfect place. Oh, and lots of Cave Crocs and Giant Toads... I'm setting up a trapped hallway.

BloodBeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15924 on: August 29, 2011, 04:05:31 pm »

The year is 532 in Daggerdepths and the 4th quadrennial inter-military tournaments are wrapped up. Again I used Runesmith to make my dwarves poke each other with sticks to determine the best swordsdwarf, axedwarf, hammerdwarf and speardwarf. The champions get put into my Elite Squad 1 while the runner-ups are put into Elite Squad 2. The champions of each then battle in their own tournament of champions.

I started doing these tournaments 12 years ago and even then the dwarves were badass. Now I got dwarves with over 30 years combat experience fighting full contact, woo.

Results of the Main Tournament, complete with (sometimes lengthy) tournament history:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Results of the Tournament of Champions:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Biggest winner: Tosid 'The Surgeon'
The Surgeon became the first dwarf outside the 10 veteran military to champion in their weapon specialty. He didn't place in the first 2 tournaments and was among the group of 4 last tournament to be the first runner-ups outside the 10 veterans, building on it this time around.

Biggest loser: Another speardwarf, Tulon 'Spartan'
Spartan championed in the previous 3 tournaments, is a former tournament of champions winner and on average had the best success in these games. She didn't even get runner-up in the speardwarf tournament, being swept by Siegebane in a best-of-5 match, of whom untill now was tied for the worst performing dwarf in tournament history.

C0NNULL

• Bay Watcher
  • A bastion of crazy in a small area near Hurricanes
    • View Profile
« Reply #15925 on: August 29, 2011, 04:48:48 pm »

The pit room has been moved to drop six levels into magma. I think it a lovely re-design from the previous water-based dump that was planned.

The waterfall area is well built, but I am afraid to turn it on. It dumps to a 3x3 set of grates with the middle being a channel without a grate. (Eight great grates - I am so sorry.) There is a gold wall around the area to deflect any water into the lake that dumps into the south border or the map. This should drain, right?

Code: [Select]
..OOOOOOOOO..
..O.......O..
..O..###..O..
..O..#~#..O..
..O..###.~O..
~~~~~~~~~~...
~~~~~~~~~~...
<8 more then edge>

Squad 6 is almost fully equipped, but they seem to have a few issues finding what they are looking for.  Pretty normal, that.
The cat, Anom, approves of Scamps' methods. She admires fine scars on her human's body. She purrs in a method most disturbing. She thinks Scamps needs to train the human better. She rolls on the floor in a luxurious pile of catnip. She attacks her human lightly.
Rimamused  -  Dorfen Itza

ArKFallen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bohandean Desserter
    • View Profile
« Reply #15926 on: August 29, 2011, 06:56:42 pm »

Most of this year my legendary bonecarver (profession: Craft Knight) has been spamming me with give food cancellation each time he realizes he can't give plump helmets to a starving goat. We now also have a male and female badger which we ordered from the scorpionmen (modded race, and I like all races to have a trader & diplomat and allow caravans), which I then made war animals. I hope a future badger army bolstering my dorfs will cut down on casualties.
  I'm also beginning to expand my pig tail farms/dimple cup farms, and hopefully when I'm done we'll be getting thread fast enough to better occupy my weavers/clothiers. We also have a surplus of food/drink and a major shortage of barrels/wood.
  In less worrying news: I've fully renovated the jail. I'm going to carve fortifications into all the cell walls and have a walkway where marksdwarves can fire from (mostly finished). According to therapist only 5 dwarves are below happy, but they're all on the high end of content, so I doubt I'll get to use the jail anytime soon.
  The undead raids are mostly over (probably because we've got 8 caged), though we can't build a bridge over one of the waterfall cliffs because of a skely moose at the bottom. Maybe sometime soon I'll encounter !!FUN!! seeing as the goblins are now on my list of civs (oddly it says we're at peace). The "value" for exports to them is "Terror" and our "offerings" are "Vengeance".
Arkfallen,
Overseer of Nutgilt
Hm, have you considered murder?  It's either that or letting it go.
SigText
I logged back on ;_;

Frogwarrior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15927 on: August 29, 2011, 07:52:00 pm »

Got another goblins siege RIGHT after the elven caravan appeared. Shut the door in (most of) their hippie faces. Now I'm "waiting for my dwarves to finish equipping themselves" as I'm currently cranking out another round of steel armor, and the gobbos are going to town on the caravan.

Currently one elf merchant is dragging around an unconscious horse who is getting stabbed and bashed by a spearman and a troll. Man, that guy sure can run fast even while dragging an entire horse and all its gear behind him.
Lately, I'm proud of MAGMA LANDMINES:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=91789.0
And been a bit smug over generating a world with an elephant monster that got 87763 sentient kills.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=104354.0

Teronsuke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15928 on: August 29, 2011, 07:59:48 pm »

I've got magma, walls going up around the entrance to make myself less easily killable, and a drawbridge with a dry moat to keep things away while I prepare for them. Next step is to work on making steel readily available in as high a quality as can possibly be done.
Dear Unnamed Fire Imp,
 Get the fuck out of my magma vent. You've already killed one swordsdwarf as he jumped into the volcano to attack you and burned to death hundreds of Urists below.
- The Invisible Man in the Sky

azrael4h

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Dwarf Fortress-centric You Tube videos, part of my nominally vintage gaming channel.
« Reply #15929 on: August 29, 2011, 08:15:30 pm »

Copperabbey's food situation is stabilized somewhat, and the permanent kitchens and stills are set up finally. The farming area is almost finished; just lacking the surface crops area. Drinks are critical; I'm down to some rum I traded for and some wine. The biggest news is that I have a metalworking station set up temporarily outside near the entrance. The bad news is I have work tomorrow.
Pages: 1 ... 1060 1061 [1062] 1063 1064 ... 3842