Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1024 1025 [1026] 1027 1028 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6129671 times)

Varnifane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #15375 on: August 11, 2011, 05:59:20 pm »

Started a new fort because  I forgot to link the levers to...well... anything in my last fort and got double ambushed.

Used the prospector tool and there is supposedly more than 16k cotton candy.  Woot!

I regret to inform the community that the mass murder of puppies does not create a viable clock.
I don't know if you need other ideas when you have magma.

Daetrin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15376 on: August 11, 2011, 07:47:16 pm »

Started a new fort after a hiatus.

Building a green glass tower based on a hex grid.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Pop is capped at 60 so I don't have to divert labor to military and cleanup of sieges.

I've given myself a hundred z-levels of sky though I very much doubt I'll use 'em.

Planning for a magma pump stack is underway.

Edit: And due to delaying a diplomat for a full year, I now have two barons.  They're the same dwarf.  I have no idea what will happen.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2011, 07:57:16 pm by Daetrin »
All you need to know about Ardentdikes
It is really, really easy to flood this place with magma fwiw.

Doors stop fire, right?

Aiyon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15377 on: August 11, 2011, 07:57:09 pm »

Previous post

The blasted elves only brought 6 pieces of wood. By my count, I'll need at least 16 to get through the aquifer. I got twelve barrels, some surface plants, a tame honey badger and a tame jaguar off them though, so I'm going to let it slide. For now.

Grass has been popping up in the channels where my moat will be. Which is strange because my biome is supposed to be completely barren. It probably has something to do with those tiles originally being underground and then becoming valid space for plant growth once exposed to either surface light or cavern spores.

I might as well take advantage of it. I have a small pasture for Fath the Pig and I punched through the ceiling next to my plump helmet farm and built a second plot for surface plants. It looks like a mess, but this is just a temporary fort till I can get past the aquifer.

One of these days I'm going to have to flood my moat. I haven't dug out the walls between the creek and the moat simply because I don't have enough raw materials to build a bridge over the moat once it's full.

Mining continues on the second layer of dirt. I left enough space around my main staircase that I should be able to get through the aquifer on the third layer without much trouble. I'm mainly just clearing space which will hopefully become an underground tree farm if/when I get to the caverns.
Might I suggest a cave-in method?

I'm inspired, I may try a zero point embark on my next attempt.. The world I'm playing on (gonna use it until the next verison comes out) is extremely savage and has many enemy races (CivForge and Fortress Defense) and no $$$/pop limit on titan attack.. Still should be fun.
Also, what is a zero point embark?
« Last Edit: August 11, 2011, 07:58:47 pm by Aiyon »
Sarchasm, Noun (Sar-Kaz-Im)
Definition: The gulf between your smartass comment, and the poor bastard that just doesn't get it.

Niccolo

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Sweet top hat]
    • View Profile
« Reply #15378 on: August 11, 2011, 08:41:13 pm »

Also, what is a zero point embark?

Exactly what it sounds like. You spend no points on either skills or items. You embark with seven peasants, three pieces of wood from your wagon and two livestock.

OHGODSOMANYGOBLINS.

I've never lost this many migrants before. They ALWAYS appear as the goblins are wandering nearby, which is... well, not productive.

I have a new mayor who likes thrones and doesn't want me to export them. I imagine he is doing this so as to not suffer the same catapulting fate of the previous one, but I swear that actually WAS an accident.
What's wrong with using magma? That's almost always the easiest method.
I have issues channeling it properly to do that method. I end up flooding the fortress with magma.
Check out my RtD!

Scraggletag

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15379 on: August 11, 2011, 08:52:20 pm »

Previous post

The first human caravan has come to Lushmines. Nothing super important; just few more pieces of wood, 2 barrels (I'm up to 16 now!), a horse in a copper cage and a bin full of leather (Also, my first bin!).

The interesting part was when a pack wake of vultures tried to sneak down into my food stockpile while the caravan was still at the depot. The caravan guards slaughtered them. Thanks to auto-butchering, I suddenly had a food stockpile full of vulture parts. I nonchalantly put "Prepare lavish meal" on repeat in order to clear some space. Didn't realize my mistake till it was too late.

You see, at this point I have practically no defenses. That's OK because I only have 12 dwarves and it takes at least 20 to trigger ambushes. I haven't gotten immigrants since the first winter but all those lavish meals caused my created wealth to skyrocket. Which, in turn, means my population will skyrocket. Which leads to ambushes.

While I was trying to figure out what to do, the dwarven caravan arrived. They brought the wood, iron, pig iron, steel and limonite i requested last year. We also got a pair (male and female) of peafowl and I wasted a log to make a nest box. I had forgotten to request flux last year, but I made sure to add marble and chalk to the list for next year.

I got to work on the aquifer while thoughts of ambushes lingered in the back of my mind. It took most of the wood I had available, but I got through it by mid winter. Or, I should say, I got through the first layer of the aquifer. Turns out there are at least two of them¹.

While I was cursing my rotten luck, I hit upon an idea to increase my defensive position. The limonite I got from the caravan was stone! I mean, sure it sounds obvious enough. But with 3 pieces of limonite, I could build 3 mechanisms. Which meant I could build a lever and raise a drawbridge. I already had most of a moat in place and a few pieces of wood left over. The rest was simple enough.

Sorry, Fath the Pig, your pasture is gone. You'll have to go back to being hand fed dwarf meals. We all have to make sacrifices.

Next post

¹There shouldn't be too many aquifer layers. I have mudstone boulders scattered all over my map, which means that my first stone layer will be mudstone. Despite it's name, mudstone can't have aquifers so the aquifer should be confined to the soil layers, and the first layer after that.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2011, 06:18:54 pm by Scraggletag »

UristMcHuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15380 on: August 11, 2011, 09:41:04 pm »

I had a friend over during world gen, and, uhhhhh... I accidentally let my large region hit the year 1050. Oopsies... On the plus side, The Cyclopean Plain is in The Age of Legends. Does that mean less (semi)mega-beasts?

I'm going to go and build my space fort now. Will the extremely advanced timeline kill my frame-rate and take forever to offload units?

Ragingpantsless

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15381 on: August 11, 2011, 11:34:54 pm »

Finally got a good plan to use all those young reptiles. Instead of dropping them, I will put them in cages inside a giant moat, which will have just low enough water for sieges to go through. I hope gobbos/hippies like mud pits of reptiles. And betting still open.
"And if you look down in the boiler chamber, you'll see that our hot spring is powered by an ancient, unholy, cramped and extremely pissed forgotten beast."

alesia

• Bay Watcher
  • [BIOME:ANY_MAGMA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #15382 on: August 11, 2011, 11:44:07 pm »

Finally got around to looking through my dwarves' appearances and realized I'm running some sort of Aryan Nation compound or cloning refugee site.  Everybody has wrinkled dark peach skin, greasy sandy-taupe hair with grey in it, and bronze eyes.

Time to mess with the raws and hope some of the children come out different...

Greasemunky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15383 on: August 12, 2011, 01:04:37 am »

Trying to piss off elves for the fun of it. They've been great trading partners, but this time they didn't bring enough booze.
Time to teach them a lesson by chopping down a few dozen trees. Also going to make more wealth to hopefully coax more goblins into attacking, and then getting literally butchered by my weapon traps, around half of which are made from the remains of previous sieges.
And hey, fps rose from 4 to 12 from all the death.  That's good, right?

ZhangC1459

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15384 on: August 12, 2011, 02:03:49 am »

Doing the "live like humanz" challenge.  Made even easier to follow by the fact that there's no stone on my embark without using the :effort: to break through three or more layers of aquifer... there's a shitton of wood though so my dwarves all live in aboveground buildings, and everything is made of wood.

predictably, the elves fucking love me.  And by love, I mean they bitch at me for cutting down trees and stuff.

Socializator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Dwarf Fortress CZ
« Reply #15385 on: August 12, 2011, 02:31:43 am »

I found this gem, leading to bloodchamber bellow. Finally an effective way to train my military without excessive micromanagment.
Navštivte českou Dwarf Fortress komunitu a fanpage!

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #15386 on: August 12, 2011, 03:36:31 am »

Olddagger is doing fairly well. I have enough booze to keep my 58 drinking-age dwarves (and six babies) drunk for a year and a half at least, and more is being produced constantly. My farms lay fallow, because I don't need them. I have some two thousand units of food, of which about 300 are plants, and only about half of those are plump helmets. My still is serving as a main population center because of all the booze pots there that can't go in the stockpile because it's full.

On an industrial note, all stones except chert, petrified wood and slade are reserved for economic use because once I get magma access I just know I'll want to make one or more magma-based automated cleaning systems for my fortress, so I'm preemptively making everything magma-safe. I also just got an artifact petrified wood mechanism, so I'll have to link all the magma systems in my future to the bright red doom lever I'll build with it. Also, the entire (forest) map has been clearcut.

It is 28th Obsidian of the year 4, and tomorrow is the second anniversary of the founding of the fortress.

EDIT: The only casualty so far was a newly-immigrated woodcutter who was helping quantum-stockpile logs when the murky pool under him thawed.

EDIT2: Roc hatchlings have hatched. I am now the proud owner of 194 untrainable fully-grown giant eagles adorable tiny baby birdies.

EDIT3: They're just so adorable!
« Last Edit: August 12, 2011, 04:10:17 am by Urist Imiknorris »
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Togre

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15387 on: August 12, 2011, 06:22:08 am »

My first legitimate military action took place last night.  Had two ambushes sprung (almost overlapping in time).  Lost 2 civilians and 2 military (out of 5 total).  The one civ sprung the ambush, so not much could be done for him.  But Civi2 knew there was an ambush.  He was all, like, "What? I don't have to haul wood inside anymore? Yay! I'll take a break and wander around outside.  Huh.  Wonder what those green thingies are?  Well, there coming this way, I'll stop to get a close look."  If the gobo's hadn't killed him, I should have.

My military (snicker), consisted of a pack of meat shields, a decent hammerdwarf, a decent sworddwarf and 2 recruits.  Oh and a hunt/markdwarf.  The markdwarf and 1 recruit SLEPT THROUGH THE WHOLE SMURFIN BATTLE.  The sworddwarf started out on break, finished in tea and crumpets, daintily wipe a crumb from his stash and started to join the fray.  First gobo he meets he's all like "I say good chap, would you mind standing aside. I really must stab that blighter over there.  Perhaps we can reschedule, old chum."  And walks past the gobo, who then puts a silver maul through his skull like he deserves.

That left my hammerdwarf and his protege, raw-recruit hammerdwarf.  Raw recruit was holding his own, dodging and blocking and even killed 1 or 2 gobos.  But then the Silver Mauled started after him and before he could get any help his skull was stove in too.  But hammerdwarf avenged him.  6 kills total and didn't even get his armor dented.  Now for the clean up.
"Hey guys, you know how I've been repeatedly injuring you over and over again for the purpose of training up a team of high skilled doctors? Yeah well we didn't actually need to do that."

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15388 on: August 12, 2011, 07:16:49 am »

Tamed unicorns to prop up my army JUST IN CASE there's any evils about. Not a one of the 7 militia are above Adequate with the exception of the three original who have Expert.

Edit: And a goblin thief showed up, got detected, left the map unharmed and without anything. Checked civ list and.... Ludosmolngo, the Rumoured Monster is at peace with the Elves of Anayaarile, Dwarves of Olin Cenath and Kobolds of Tukulragis. Humans haven't made contact yet. Does this mean I get a gobbo caravan in winter?

Edit 2: Three goblin snatchers showed up (two captured, one detected and escaped with no-one). I assume it's the 'peace for first few months' that i've got, right?
« Last Edit: August 12, 2011, 09:39:04 am by Reudh »

JasonMel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15389 on: August 12, 2011, 10:25:15 am »

A fey dwarf who was assigned to a workarea (aka "burrow") was unable to find in his workarea any but one of the materials his stonecraft magnum opus required, which was stone, the first item on his list. Since the fortress lacked the second due to an unforeseen technicality, he gathered nothing but stone until it filled the entire workshop from floor to ceiling. Before I noticed what was happening and was able to take him out of his burrow and make everything on the list available, he had procured a list of stone ingredients two screens long.

The resulting artifact figurine was the most unusual conglomeration of images a dwarf has ever carved. Not stopping at representations of dwarves founding the settlement, he incorporated anything that entered his mind, which usually ended up being images of crutches. Apparently this dwarf thinks he's Salvador Dalí.
Pages: 1 ... 1024 1025 [1026] 1027 1028 ... 3842