Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1022 1023 [1024] 1025 1026 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6129388 times)

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #15345 on: August 10, 2011, 10:32:16 pm »

Food and booze levels have dipped dangerously low this season, but fortunately it turns out that Capybaras are good eating, and plentiful- the most productive action my military has taken all game.

FAKEEDIT: Scratch that, my patrol just successfully intercepted and chunkified a swarm of buzzards. We eat meat tonight!

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
« Reply #15346 on: August 10, 2011, 11:18:05 pm »

Discovered that Yeti are butcherable, and provide ~40 meat + 13 organ meats. My arctic fort will be well-fed.

SkiFree guy, I have avenged you!

ImaDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15347 on: August 11, 2011, 12:15:40 am »

My Blacksmith just got taken by a fey mood and claimed a metal smith's workshop with a bar of silver in hand.  I hope he makes a silver hammer :D.  Edit: He made an animal trap.   :'(
« Last Edit: August 11, 2011, 12:24:56 am by ImaDwarf »

malimbar04

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15348 on: August 11, 2011, 01:56:44 am »

dwarves started to get really thirsty, and I was out of barrels. The elvish trader had barrels, and wood... but they were leaving apparently. Damn them, I was busy trying to protect their sorry little lives, and they just say "see ya". Yeah, they didn't make it out alive. Made a crapload of barrels with their wood, and had a good boost with their alcohol. With the spare dwarves I made a new internal well fed from artificially-enlarged lakes.

All the extra stuff I "sold" to the humans who came right afterward. I mean, is it really selling if they get a 9000 profit on like 400 worth in goods? Anyways, that gets rid of most of the wood and rope-reed stuff in my fort. Oh wait... gotta make sure the military didn't pick that up. Wooden armor is freaking horrible.

No! No! I will not massacre my children. Instead, I'll make them corpulent on crappy mass-produced quarry bush biscuits and questionably grown mushroom alcohol, and then send them into the military when they turn 12...

Wolock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15349 on: August 11, 2011, 05:34:35 am »

It's Spring in my fort and I think that my golden crossbow has draw a cult around it in my fortress. I've got three dwarves trained has marksdwarves in the immigrant wave and one bowyer made an alder bow with an image of Boweltime during a mood.

I've done some exploratory mining and I haven't found more cassiterite or iron, but I'll probably get by with a force of marksdwarves (don't know why...) with copper bolts until the caravan brings me some iron.

Finally I've found the caverns and there's not much, except more gold and marble to add to my literal mountain of flux.

AWdeV

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15350 on: August 11, 2011, 07:14:27 am »

The honey badger has become enraged!

The war jaguar charges at the honey badger!

What followed was 3 pages of fighting. Well, I say fighting but the honey badger didn't manage to do a single thing besides falling down and standing up while the jaguar tore bits off of it like it was the enraged one.
Teenage Bearded Axelord Turtles
Teenage Bearded Axelord Turtles
Urists in a half shell (Turtle Power)

Niccolo

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Sweet top hat]
    • View Profile
« Reply #15351 on: August 11, 2011, 08:35:06 am »

My mayor had decided to stand on the gate to hold his meeting with the liaison. This was circa my first siege, of course.

The liaison was probably crying with happiness at how this was the most prompt meeting ever when all of a sudden the gate shut, firing my mayor into space like he was a part of Team Rocket.
What's wrong with using magma? That's almost always the easiest method.
I have issues channeling it properly to do that method. I end up flooding the fortress with magma.
Check out my RtD!

alesia

• Bay Watcher
  • [BIOME:ANY_MAGMA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #15352 on: August 11, 2011, 10:46:00 am »

Just offloaded a stack of alpaca/goat/sheep/turkey soap on the human caravan (aka the trashmen).  The dwarves of Hammerwork only wash with =Forgotten Beast Soap=.  (And good criminy we have a ton of it...)

magic dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15353 on: August 11, 2011, 11:37:16 am »

got my first titan in months (real world months)! it was a giant made of fire, burning through the forests surrounding my fortress. Marksdwarfs firing from the top of my wall slowly killing it, then FREEEZE!?! Noooo !!!!!!!
reloaded the save from before and froze again at about the same time :(

Ragingpantsless

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15354 on: August 11, 2011, 12:07:09 pm »

There have been two births in my fort recently. That and the tame saltwater crocodile pair I got from the pointies laid eggs. More reptiles for the aircrocogator coalition, reinforced by the two swordlords I've been training. Both are decked out in masterwork steel sets of armor(having a High master armorer helps, don't it?) though their weapons could be better, I'm not complaining after that thief met one head on. Though the bloodstains from that do make an interesting pattern.
"And if you look down in the boiler chamber, you'll see that our hot spring is powered by an ancient, unholy, cramped and extremely pissed forgotten beast."

Silly Theory

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15355 on: August 11, 2011, 12:28:48 pm »

This is my first fort that reaches the 4 year mark (not sure about this, since I can't figure out how to know for sure how old your fort is).

I had restarted every other one (about 8 of them, I think - only been playing for 2 weeks or so) either because I had too many people or because I got crushed by gobbos. For this one I decided to go along and have some !!FUN!! to the last dorf.

So, the story of the fort is: it has reached, on it's prime days, 70 or so dorfs. I got ambushed, and lost about 45 of them, I think. One of the gobbos killed like 30 or so o_O . For this first ambush I had to enlist almost every dorf to finish them off. My militarized ones got crushed, so I sent off some civilians afterwards, deciding to play along.

I was left with 13 dorfs. The attack and the tantruming dorfs really took their tolls.

I soon got some migrant waves, but also some 3-4 new ambushes. I defended them better this time, having parted my new military dorfs into 3 squads. That helps micromanage them, and the battles went better. I also received some pretty good fighters on the migrant waves.

I had no iron, so the only weapons I had were some silver blunt weapons, and some gobbo leftovers. I also had to trade for my armors. Luckily, one of the things I had learned on my previous abandoned forts is that a craftsdorf making stone crafts on "repeat" will soon create enough wealth for you to buy everything every merchant has to offer. That and my blooming gem industry.

(I mostly keep gems, though...).

That stonecrafter has gotten legendary +5 now, and when I tell him to craft on repeat I get flooded by "crafty has created a masterpiece" (or something, forgot the exact message) messages. Because of that guy, I have 3000+ food stores, and my cook spends his days turning all kinds of weird foreign foods into lavish meals for my hungry dorfs.

Now I have 4 squads training two of every three months, one of them being a 5-dorf archer squad.

Also, found the adamantite spiral. Working on extracting and smelting those now.

Mickey Blue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15356 on: August 11, 2011, 12:34:24 pm »

My entire military is rotting after an encounter with a particularly dangerous forgotten beast (a flying sheep of all things..).  We killed it but are dropping one by one as they rot from the inside out.. I'm replacing and retraining quickly.  There is another beast that is in the caverns but cannot get to my fortress (it cannot fly and is separated by water) and we have fought a titan and an ettin as well as a few light sieges. 

We need to pull ourselves together before the next wave.

alesia

• Bay Watcher
  • [BIOME:ANY_MAGMA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #15357 on: August 11, 2011, 01:17:12 pm »

For some reason my cooks won't cook royal jelly (even though it's enabled in the z-kitchen menu), and we have about eighty jars of it cluttering up the food stockroom.  ... fuck it, we're offloading this shit on the elves.

moki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15358 on: August 11, 2011, 01:47:46 pm »

Everythings going well. I finally figured out alerts and schedules, so my 3 militia squads are now automatically guarding the entrance with one squad on break (but close by, just in case) at any time. Two squads of marksdwarves constantly patrol the fortified walls and watchtowers... it's been a while since a siege even got the the main gate.
If I ever get bored, there are still 3 forgotten beasts waiting in the caverns, but none of them has any real potential for Fun... I'm not in a hurry to send my military down there as long as there's nothing interesting.

Meanwhile, more redecorating is going on.
This time it's not of the gory but of the architectural kind. I built a little pump stack out of boredom and decided to make a swimming pool... 8z above ground with a nice noble mansion around it. I might make parts of it dropable for laughs and dramatic dwarf disposal.
The pool's bottom is a bridge, so it can be emptied at a pull of the adjacent lever. As a bonus, it's right above the fort's entrance. Imagine a bucket of water above a door. Now imagine that multiplied by a few hundred times and you got the dwarven version of that prank. Ok, magma would be dwarfier, but I haven't gotten around to pumping it up yet. And with temperature turned off (to make FPS bearable) it would be rather undramatic. Like dropping a swimming pool of strawberry jelly onto invaders ::)
On the bottom left you can see the main spiral ramp with central 11x11 drop shaft that goes all the way through the fortress. From the current level that's 20 levels to the (very hard) bottom, but it's still being expanded, both deeper and higher. Eventually it will go from the top of the sky to the magma sea.

Spoiler: Screenshot (click to show/hide)
But my good sir, the second death was for Dwarven Science!

malimbar04

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15359 on: August 11, 2011, 02:17:30 pm »

Currently giving my dwarves real uniforms:
1 steel chain mail, breastplate, helm, greaves, gauntlet, high boot, shield, sword
1 blue pigtail cloak, hood,
1 blue pigtail pair of trousers, mittens, and socks

And the dwarfiness project resumes, as the train themselves with only sparring and goblins. For better training purposes, I'm also expanding my gobin-drop training room. Apparently I don't have enough space for the gobins captured so far.
No! No! I will not massacre my children. Instead, I'll make them corpulent on crappy mass-produced quarry bush biscuits and questionably grown mushroom alcohol, and then send them into the military when they turn 12...
Pages: 1 ... 1022 1023 [1024] 1025 1026 ... 3842