Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1023 1024 [1025] 1026 1027 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6129406 times)

Mickey Blue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #15360 on: August 11, 2011, 02:50:37 pm »

My fort is rotting.. But I think I've contained and removed the illness..

ETA:

Scratch that.. I have missed something, the illness is still spreading throughout my fort, I've closed off the hospital and the main hall.  We've fought off a siege of tigermen, they went down without too much trouble but we don't have the manpower or the training to deal with anything more difficult.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2011, 03:01:27 pm by Mickey Blue »

Weary Exile

• Bay Watcher
  • Beard Science!
    • View Profile
« Reply #15361 on: August 11, 2011, 03:07:27 pm »

A minotaur just killed/incapacitated my entire fort except for one guy.

At first I thought it was no big deal because said minotaur was easily caught with a cage trap, but then I got bored and decided to dump it into the goblin pit for shits and giggles. I paid dearly for my hubris, gentle reader. The minotaur somehow escaped during the transfer from the cage to the hatch adjacent to it, something that I didn't even know was possible*, and now that it was loose inside my fort it ran around and killed maybe 75 dwarves or so.

Daaang.

*did i do something wrong here?
« Last Edit: August 11, 2011, 03:10:38 pm by Weary Exile »
It's like regular childcare, except with more dogs, and less care.

Weary Exile

• Bay Watcher
  • Beard Science!
    • View Profile
« Reply #15362 on: August 11, 2011, 03:08:56 pm »

double post sorry nothing to see here carry on

malimbar04

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15363 on: August 11, 2011, 03:18:44 pm »

*Kelela Highshields the Moist Violence has just named her steel short sword:
"Caverncatch the Strangled Anguish"

How fitting.
No! No! I will not massacre my children. Instead, I'll make them corpulent on crappy mass-produced quarry bush biscuits and questionably grown mushroom alcohol, and then send them into the military when they turn 12...

Silly Theory

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15364 on: August 11, 2011, 03:19:35 pm »

I didn't know minotaurs were that strong. I got one just now, and sent a couple of 3/4 dorf squads after him. Noone even got bruised.

vjek

• Bay Watcher
  • If it didn't work, change the world so it does.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15365 on: August 11, 2011, 03:21:59 pm »

... The minotaur somehow escaped during the transfer from the cage to the hatch adjacent to it, something that I didn't even know was possible*, and now that it was loose inside my fort it ran around and killed maybe 75 dwarves or so.

Daaang.

*did i do something wrong here?

No, it just happens from time to time.  I've had it happen, personally, with snatchers, thieves, and flying beasts with considerable regularity.  I have the military standing by for those releases, now.

One thing I haven't tested is if making the hatch cover forbidden will help, and/or if that is related at all.  It seems like if the creature has a certain... agility?  ... it hops out.  I've even had it happen where throwing a goblin thief into lava (one square down, not a long shaft) resulted in the goblin bleeding profusely for 7 steps then bleeding to death while trying to escape.  Evidently he was hot dipped !

However, non flying/non thief/non forgotten beasts ?  If there is a long drop shaft, with a default hatch cover, I've never had a creature pop out and run.

Weary Exile

• Bay Watcher
  • Beard Science!
    • View Profile
« Reply #15366 on: August 11, 2011, 03:47:15 pm »

I ended up abandoning my fortress.
Then I checked in legends and apparently at some point this minotaur obtained a wolf leather mitten at my fortress, which it then wielded to kill fifty of my dwarves. With a mitten.

This game is hard.

Hungry Elephant

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15367 on: August 11, 2011, 03:55:09 pm »

Recently I played with a average fortess (no iron) and had to abandon due to a serie of unfortunate events (they died of thirst, even if I had a well and some booze, too long way to the well I suppose...).

I reclaimed and found a big mess, some berserker dorfes and goblins. I abadoned again and reclaimed with a military strike team. It worked a wee better.

So I reclaimed some stuff and start to gathering things waiting for migrants (strange to say, but I needed some manpower, I also lost one dorf in the initial assault).

After the first wave of migrant I had to start mass engraving slabs due to the insane number of ghosts rising. So i started some production and so on.

I went down some zlevels just to claim the good bedrooms and some other stuff and found a not so friendly troll. My expedition leader (and top hammerdwarf) put him to a good rest, but another dorf got injured and paralyzed for life.

Things were going quite well, some trading was made and some (few) suit of armours were made.

They were enough to fully equip one dorf but I did not really realized that because in the military screen the metal armor was checked for most of my dorfes in the military.

Time was ripe for some semi megabeast assault and a minotaur has come.

He smashed a wagon and sitted just one tile away of my door. I unlocked the door to make him come and taste some traps but the bastard did not see reasons. He was just camping there, blockin my entrance.

So I gathered my squad and order to CHARGE!!!! the infamous beast.

Then the disaster happened.
Urist McIdiot was able to get killed on one of our own traps, deciding to go uncoscious just on a weapon trap tile with some serious giant spiked silver balls (silver balls uhmmmmm) inside.

Other three dorfes were badly beaten by the Minotaur. With a pig tail fiber hood. Now probably this hood was denominated "dorfslayer" and I will look forward to see it engraved in some works of art.

This is when I realized then they went to battle just with some pig tail fiber cloack (and copper helms) while the military menu was showing them in full armour (DOH!).

Of course this mess was stopped by the heroic expedition leader that introduced his silver war hammer to the minotaur skull.

Now this guy is really mean. Even if his ability to grasp is impaired (due to the battle with the troll) it's still awesome when it's time to grasp a warhammer and go bashing heads around. He is the only guy with some kills in the military

So in the end I got two casualty and two seriously wounded dorfes.

I tought one was not serious, having only a yellow mark on the arm. Then after diagnosis I discovered his arm was completely smashed.
I expect that at least one guy will die from infection due to soap shortage (but I'm producing some).

And that's all for now for Somberpulleys the haunted fortress (never seen so manyghosts around, I think I should call the ghostbusters).

UristMcHuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15368 on: August 11, 2011, 04:29:04 pm »

I'm going to make a fortress OUT OF GLASS. I'm making a crude dome-like shape (more like a pyramid). I'm treating anywhere outside the glass containment as the vacuum of space. A 10 tile long tunnel 5 tiles wide will have two drawbridges to form a crude airlock system.

The fort itself will be lain out like this, going from the ground up:

Ground Level: The Main Hall will be here, with the well inside the hall. The trade depot will be here as well. There will also be about ten beds for those without living quarters. Steel corner turrets will contain one catapult and two ballistae.
Barracks: 5x5 tile rooms with beds on the side and an extra row of beds 4 tiles long in the centre. The walls will be made of incendium for warmth.
Mess Hall: Three kitchens, 2 tile wide rows of tables with chairs next to them. A row of tables and chairs are in front of the kitchens.
Hospital: Individual 3x3 rooms containing a bed, steel table, and a chest stocked with 30 rolls of thread and 30 pieces of cloth.
Armoury: Weapon, armour and ammo stockpiles will be here. Nothing more.
Observatory: This room will take up as many z-levels as necessary to go up to the top.

Military:
Stormtroopers: Incendium armour and mask, with a steel crossbow firing blazing incendium bolts. Basic military soldiers, trained in underground firing ranges.
Plasma Troopers: Levisium armour and mask, using wrought iron crossbows and glacium bolts. Secondary trooper, trained in the same manner as stormtroopers.
Laser Swordsmen: Incendium armour and mask, with blazing incendium long sword and glacium roundshield. Reserved if outer defenses are breached, trained against unarmed captured invaders.
Plasma Swordsmen: Incendium armour and mask, with a glacium long sword and glacium roundshield. Same purpose as laser swordsmen, trained in the same manner.

Food and booze will be kept in underground stockpiles. Prepared meals will be kept in the mess hall, and will consist of stews.

Siege engines:
Laser Cannons: Ballistae firing bolts with blazing incendium heads.
Plasma Cannons: Catapults, basically.

Living quarters will be connected to the main fortress by 2 tile wide tunnels with walls and ceilings of glass. Rooms will have steel doors and walls. Because space is so cold (hovering around Absolute Zero), floors of rooms will be made of incendium instead of the usual glass. The farms will be encased in glass and will be called 'Bio-Domes'. Food will be grown above ground in the bio-domes. Underground farm plots will be dug under the underground food stockpiles.

I use the Civilization Forge mod, so this challenge may not be possible in vanilla DF. I've also made the buildings spew out the metals, so I can have easy time building my settlement. Stone for the plasma guns, however, will have to be dug for. The mineshaft will consist of up/down stairs, and 1 tile wide shafts to wander through. The steel up/down stairs in the glass fort itself will be surrounded with steel walls and a steel door on one side. The shaft will be called the fort 'elevator'.

Any positive thoughts about this are proudly accepted. If you are thinking negatively, don't post your thought.

EDIT: To heat an entire complex of either the fort itself or a small building of living quarters, a solid 5x5 block of incendium will be built in the complex one level under the building in the exact centre.. To fuel the whole fort, a 3x3 room will be set in the exact center of the main hall, with a wood furnace to burn wood as fuel. One log will be fed to the reactor per season, otherwise all heaters will cease to function and the production buildings will be useless. If the reactor is a charcoal furnace, one log will be fed every two seasons.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2011, 04:39:26 pm by UristMcHuman »

Mickey Blue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15369 on: August 11, 2011, 04:31:16 pm »

Sounds like a neat idea, I don't use CivForge so I don't know how hard it'll be but I'd look forward to seeing it.

I do find it odd that you ask for feedback but only want positive feedback.. Whats the point beyond having your ego stroked?

Scraggletag

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15370 on: August 11, 2011, 04:36:31 pm »

Previous post

The blasted elves only brought 6 pieces of wood. By my count, I'll need at least 16 to get through the aquifer. I got twelve barrels, some surface plants, a tame honey badger and a tame jaguar off them though, so I'm going to let it slide. For now.

Grass has been popping up in the channels where my moat will be. Which is strange because my biome is supposed to be completely barren. It probably has something to do with those tiles originally being underground and then becoming valid space for plant growth once exposed to either surface light or cavern spores.

I might as well take advantage of it. I have a small pasture for Fath the Pig and I punched through the ceiling next to my plump helmet farm to build a second plot for surface plants. It looks like a mess, but this is just a temporary fort till I can get past the aquifer.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

One of these days I'm going to have to flood my moat. I haven't dug out the walls between the creek and the moat simply because I don't have enough raw materials to build a bridge over the moat once it's full.

Mining continues on the second layer of dirt. I left enough space around my main staircase that I should be able to get through the aquifer on the third layer without much trouble. I'm mainly just clearing space which will hopefully become an underground tree farm if/when I get to the caverns.

Next post
« Last Edit: August 11, 2011, 08:57:20 pm by Scraggletag »

Lexx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15371 on: August 11, 2011, 04:40:13 pm »

Well Frosthames falls. A goblin siege had only just been fought off. Before traps could be reset and new militia drafted an Orc siege showed up. Being about as tough as a humanoid and as evil as a goblin they didn't flee so easy and ground my militia down. Epic showdown though with my militia leader killing 4 of them off before being pin-cushioned by a group of archers.

Now to do some more tweaking of raws and another fort will be in order. Maybe a no points embark?

jc6036

• Bay Watcher
  • Bilious Slick
    • View Profile
« Reply #15372 on: August 11, 2011, 04:49:30 pm »

Trying out my new fort designs with the genesis mod, probably going to have to get my military started early.

Mickey Blue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15373 on: August 11, 2011, 05:05:06 pm »

I'm inspired, I may try a zero point embark on my next attempt.. The world I'm playing on (gonna use it until the next verison comes out) is extremely savage and has many enemy races (CivForge and Fortress Defense) and no $$$/pop limit on titan attack.. Still should be fun.

Ragingpantsless

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15374 on: August 11, 2011, 05:15:22 pm »

Second year is almost at a close and the walls have been designated. Say what you will, having 50 no skill masons makes the wall work go fast. That and the reptile core has been put on gate duty for temporary reasons. That being the tower isn't built yet. From which I will drop their cages onto enemies. Betting for fortress death is still open to all. The bets are:

-Flooding the fort with magma. (Possible, I have a high elevation volcano)
-Flooding the fort with water. (Not really. I don't have a river.)
-FPS death.
-Death by siege.
-Forgotten beast tears the fort a new one.
-FB syndrome kills everyone.
-A stupid ambush catches everyone off guard.
-FUN! (My bet, cause I can still take that dive.)
-Cavern critters kill everyone.
-Random tantrum spiral.
-Other.

Still taking bets!
"And if you look down in the boiler chamber, you'll see that our hot spring is powered by an ancient, unholy, cramped and extremely pissed forgotten beast."
Pages: 1 ... 1023 1024 [1025] 1026 1027 ... 3842