Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: How do you win Dwarf fortress?  (Read 15979 times)

jasonred79

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
How do you win Dwarf fortress?
« on: March 19, 2010, 11:59:04 pm »

Or does it just go on forever?

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How do you win Dwarf fortress?
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2010, 12:14:50 am »

It goes until you stop it, either intentionally or by accident.

It's a "sandbox" game; there are many such games in existence, none of which have a defined "win" condition, so you can play until you don't want to play anymore. It's nice in some ways, though some people find such games annoying because they don't have a pre-defined goal to strive for.
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!

Malicus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2010, 12:17:05 am »

Many people play this for the interesting ways in which you can lose (or at least in which terrible things can happen).  After all, the motto of the game is "Losing is fun!"

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2010, 12:33:59 am »

I think winning is surviving in some cases... find the most hostile place to deploy and try to live.  ;D
"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2010, 12:37:42 am »

I count each spring autosave I make it to a small victory.

However, I am extremely tempted to start scoring myself on the number and type of dead things on the map, population, wealth, stocks of various things, and goals reached.

My current goal being to replace all the constructed walls and floors with obsidian blocks.

I have four layers of bottomless pit floored over entirely. This is taking Time.
The *large serrated steel disk* strikes the Raven in the head, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull, and tearing apart the brain!
A tendon in the skull has been torn!
The Raven has been knocked unconcious!

Elves do it in trees. Humans do it in wooden structures. Dwarves? Dwarves do it underground. With magma.

dakenho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2010, 09:52:05 am »

Toady has stated there should be a way to win the game, though i would imagine there would be a sandbox mode after that win game.
From the description of the event, I think that your copy of Dwarf Fortress was on drugs when this happened. That's surely the only logical explanation for a human werewolf with deadly farts dying from it's own excrement after slaughtering some goblins comrades.

Shrike

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2010, 11:03:37 am »

I like the quote that "You win DF when your fortress blasts off for the moon."

Qiu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2010, 11:25:56 am »

I guess you could consider yourself winning if you manage to attract the king in your fortress and meet all his requirements. Or maybe if you can kill everything coming out of the "special feature"

Lukas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2010, 12:35:16 pm »

Any time I begin a new fortress, before I do anything, I set myself a goal. I might look at the surroundings and see what kind of goal the area could support:

- Is there lots of flat and empty land? How about a crazy megaproject?
- Are there lots of mountains and z-levels to work with? How about an incredible fortress (and a megaproject to accompany that)? Or maybe try to build an engineering feat?
- Is the land rich with resources? Why not try to attain a huge amount of wealth?

So setting yourself goals in essence means setting yourself a win condition, which might be more to your liking

jasonred79

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2010, 12:57:19 pm »

Your fortress can blast off for the moon???

rickvoid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2010, 01:16:04 pm »

Sarchasm, Noun (Sar-Kaz-Im)
Definition: The gulf between your smartass comment, and the poor bastard that just doesn't get it.

No. You cannot make your fort blast off for the moon. Not even with magma/booze fusion engines and a kitten randomizer.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2010, 01:33:50 pm »

Sarchasm, Noun (Sar-Kaz-Im)
Definition: The gulf between your smartass comment, and the poor bastard that just doesn't get it.

No. You cannot make your fort blast off for the moon. Not even with magma/booze fusion engines and a kitten randomizer.

But you can build a stairway to heaven.  With which you can build a lead moon full of magma, and blast your fort with it.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Particleman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2010, 01:44:37 pm »

Only if you can manage to trap a !!clown!! for use as a fuel source.

Kipi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2010, 02:00:21 pm »

But you can build a stairway to heaven.  With which you can build a lead moon full of magma, and blast your fort with it.

After the lead moon is ready, turn off cave-in and remove the stairs. Voilá! You have artificial moon (the stairs should be the only thing that supported the moon before deconstruction)

Bonus points: Make the moon as near perfect ball as possible
More Bonus points: Construct hatch at the bottom of the moon, linked lever. The moon should be over your entrance. Now, when target is under the moon (preferably in artificial empty pool), pull the lever and all the magma forms "waterfall" filling the pool and killing the target... 8)
Room Values - !!SCIENCE!!

Quote from: zanchito
You know, they could teach maths like this at school. "There are 105 dwarves in a settlement. A goblin invasion appears and 67 die. Then a migrant wave..."

st0rmforce

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2010, 06:36:08 pm »

I like to go with the "see what interesting ways you can kill a fortress" goal.
Think about it, the only way the game ends is when there are no dwarfs left, so this must be the win condition (there is a cheat, "abandon the fortress", but you are only cheating yourself).

I had a great game a few days back, everything was going well...
Then my top marksdwarf's baby died somehow,
She went ballistic and went on a killing spree until she was finally brought down.
A lot of dwarfs were unhappy with having a load of their friends die, so made themselves feel better by smashing tables, chairs, doors, workshops, beds, fields, kittens and each other.
After days of endless carnage the goblin circus arrived, and a fun day was had by all. Especially one child, who was chased around in circles until he fell asleep, permanently.

The last dwarf alive was one of my original miners (who killed 5 goblins and chased the others away).
Being a miner, I sent him to investigate around the magma pipe. I accidentally told him to trap himself in a channel and dig into the pipe.
I win!

I didn't time it properly but I think I went from 120 to 0 dwarfs in about a month and a half. My future goal is to finish off a fortress faster than that. Although I was pretty lucky, having only goblin migrants for the period in question.
A worshipper of Tarn, the toad-headed god of software entropy.
Pages: [1] 2 3