Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 966 967 [968] 969 970 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6125407 times)

jc6036

• Bay Watcher
  • Bilious Slick
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #14505 on: July 12, 2011, 10:00:08 am »

My bedrooms are 1x3 with a chest, bed, and cabinet each.

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14506 on: July 12, 2011, 10:07:37 am »

After discovering what a massive nightmare jail cages are, I've decided that I'm going to start creating some unassigned 3x3 bedrooms with a chain in the middle, with all the comforts of home - even 1-tile booze and food storage areas, and using them as jail cells.
How did I miss the existence of this thread?
(Don't attempt to answer that.  Down that path lies ... well I was going to say madness but you all run towards madness as if it was made from chocolate and puppies.  Just forget I said anything.)

Dr. Hieronymous Alloy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14507 on: July 12, 2011, 10:17:07 am »

After discovering what a massive nightmare jail cages are, I've decided that I'm going to start creating some unassigned 3x3 bedrooms with a chain in the middle, with all the comforts of home - even 1-tile booze and food storage areas, and using them as jail cells.

oh, now that's a good idea. I currently have a dedicated jail area, but I use restraints spaced in 3x3 cubes (so they can't reach each other if one goes berserk) and fill the free tiles with lots of little food/drink stockpiles.

My current embark is on a freezing/cold environment (one freezing biome, two "cold") with a frozen brook and a volcano. I'm in year 18, I've got lava running underneath the river and melting it, I've got my military all geared up in masterwork steel armor/weapons, I've got everyone a little bedroom with green glass cabinet and chest, so forth.

I've got three major projects I'm working on now, then the fort will be "done".

The first is to finish my internal waterfall. The whole fort's arranged around a central double-helix spiral rampway (there are single staircases to get from workshops to storage areas, but the bedrooms and dining rooms and so forth, central stair). I want to hollow a channel down the center of that staircase and drop a waterfall straight down the middle of the fort, draining into the caverns. Should fully automate dwarf bathing, etc. We'll see how it works out.

The second is to build a freeze trap in my front courtyard -- again, this one's mostly planned and dug out, but I have to dig all the plumbing etc. for both it and the waterfall at once, so it's complicated. Right now i'm placing the pumps and keeping the architect busy.

The third is building a ice tower up into the sky. The climate in the specific spot I want to build it (on top of the central stair, natch) is a little weird -- ice rocks melt at the height of summer, but cast ice walls don't. So now that the river's melted I've dedicated pond zones and I'm just letting my dwarves fill in the z-levels. At some point I'll need to do scaffolding, but for now I'm just filling in the natural slope of the mountainside. Once it's filled out I'll just use my standard dig plan for the central staircase and dig it out of the ice to connect it up with the main fort. OR a fire titan will show up and melt my tower. We'll see!
« Last Edit: July 12, 2011, 10:30:54 am by Dr. Hieronymous Alloy »

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #14508 on: July 12, 2011, 11:15:47 am »

Currently beating myself up for my stupidity.
I permitted a pond to thaw in order to drown half a troll crossbow squad, ignoring the fact that the trolls would still be standing there next to it when my militia showed up to kill them. So, when they did, the fight ensues and none other than my favorite little soldier dodges her dumb ass right into a pond and drowns when the miner is still only halfway out to her. No other casualties. This was a horrible decision, I had even planned to let that squad be and have the other one taken down to break the siege, but no, I just can't listen to myself when I have a better idea. I ALWAYS go with my own worst ideas. It's like I'm programed to make bad decisions!
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

UristMcHuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14509 on: July 12, 2011, 11:47:02 am »

Oilwax, another fort on another world, is being attacked by a pair of alligators. My novice axeman woodcutters are running away from them, and the gators have killed a chicken and are working on my dogs.

No saguaros, no shrubs, and a river, in the middle of a desert.The surroundings said scarce trees and scarce vegetation. I've found no saguaro trees (technically cacti) and no shrubs. It's gonna be a long, hard few years until I get some wood.

EDIT: I was forced to abandon, as my miners and woodcutters would not fight back. That one gator was still chasing my other miner around.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2011, 12:02:13 pm by UristMcHuman »

Gyvon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14510 on: July 12, 2011, 11:54:50 am »

ANOTHER SIEGE!!!  This time it was just a squad of Ferric Elf archers.  I activated the militia, ordered everybody inside a burrow (there's gotta be a quicker way to do this) so they don't run into the crossfire, then I unpause the game.

The elves just stood at the edge of the map, doing nothing.  I'm assuming they were dumbstruck at all the white tigerman corpses, body parts, and assorted organs strewn around my entrance (I hadn't cleaned up after the last siege yet) and promptly pissed their pants.

UristMcHuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14511 on: July 12, 2011, 12:44:02 pm »

New fort, Drinkwheeled. There's snow on the ground and all the above-ground water is frozen. No aquifer, shallow metals, deep metals, clay, very deep soil. Fire clay for automatically waterproof pots and jugs.

Lots of badgers on the northern border of town.

Update: Some badgers are becoming randomly enraged and are attempting to attack my livestock of chickens.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2011, 12:52:29 pm by UristMcHuman »

Kay12

• Bay Watcher
  • Fighting for Elite Liberal values since 2009!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14512 on: July 12, 2011, 01:10:16 pm »

Granitedances, my new fort with population of 20 hardworking dwarves (they really are, I have no idlers) is about to finish its great wall that should seal the fortress off completely. Once that's done, I'll create the bridge connection to the outside world.

I also have a carpenter churning out crutches aplenty because of a very favorable export agreement... I want to see how much stuff I can get for them! Apparently the demand is high because of some FB encounter in the Mountainhomes...
« Last Edit: July 12, 2011, 01:12:36 pm by Kay12 »
Try Liberal Crime Squad, an excellent Liberal Crime adventure game by Toady One and the open source community!
LCS in SourceForge - LCS Wiki - Forum thread for 4.04

Kay12

• Bay Watcher
  • Fighting for Elite Liberal values since 2009!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14513 on: July 12, 2011, 01:49:58 pm »

Granitedances, my new fort with population of 20 hardworking dwarves (they really are, I have no idlers) is about to finish its great wall that should seal the fortress off completely. Once that's done, I'll create the bridge connection to the outside world.

I also have a carpenter churning out crutches aplenty because of a very favorable export agreement... I want to see how much stuff I can get for them! Apparently the demand is high because of some FB encounter in the Mountainhomes...
gonna be a seige, just before you finish it.

No, I already managed to fill the gaps in.

It'll have to wait until I apply the finishing touches on the spike pit that's outside. Any survivors can just try the bridge again.

EDIT: Elves came and found a way in, those clever bastards. So much harder building a proper wall on rugged terrain...
« Last Edit: July 12, 2011, 01:59:25 pm by Kay12 »
Try Liberal Crime Squad, an excellent Liberal Crime adventure game by Toady One and the open source community!
LCS in SourceForge - LCS Wiki - Forum thread for 4.04

jc6036

• Bay Watcher
  • Bilious Slick
    • View Profile
« Reply #14514 on: July 12, 2011, 01:52:22 pm »

The fire from the swamp titan has went out, lost a dwarf to a mood as no dwarfs could path to the webs in the caverns in order to get silk. My front porch is beginning to resemble boat murdered, sans the magma and elephants. The miasma is still there, though.

BodyGripper

• Bay Watcher
  • The dog is screaming.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14515 on: July 12, 2011, 02:00:16 pm »

My pastured animals are wrestling with eachother.  I'm seeing lots of "The horse grabs the horse by the hoof with it's left lower leg" and such.  Good stuff.

Also, I've almost got 200 dwarfs.  8)
"I'm sorry. I'm so sorry... It's okay to sell quivers..."
I just ripped open a lions throat by biting it. Who's the lion now, bitch!

jc6036

• Bay Watcher
  • Bilious Slick
    • View Profile
« Reply #14516 on: July 12, 2011, 02:02:17 pm »

Aaargh. I set my pop cap at 130 for  performance reasons,  my computer being the  piece of crap that it is.   
« Last Edit: July 12, 2011, 02:15:49 pm by jc6036 »

Dr. Hieronymous Alloy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14517 on: July 12, 2011, 02:11:15 pm »

My pastured animals are wrestling with eachother.  I'm seeing lots of "The horse grabs the horse by the hoof with it's left lower leg" and such.  Good stuff.

Yeah, i've noticed that combat seems to happen when they get crowded.

How on earth are you running 200 dwarves without your computer turning into a smoking wreck? Are you getting more than ten FPS?

BodyGripper

• Bay Watcher
  • The dog is screaming.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14518 on: July 12, 2011, 02:32:27 pm »

Yeah, i've noticed that combat seems to happen when they get crowded.

How on earth are you running 200 dwarves without your computer turning into a smoking wreck? Are you getting more than ten FPS?

I really don't know how I'm managing it.  It seems to be moving at a reasonable pace, but I don't have the FPS counter on.   (When it's low, seeing just HOW low it is makes me sad.)  I haven't breached the caverns yet, and I don't have any goblins in this world.  Maybe that has something to do with it?

On the other hand, my laptop is getting pretty hot.  I've had to take breaks to keep from burning my fingers on my keyboard. 
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
"I'm sorry. I'm so sorry... It's okay to sell quivers..."
I just ripped open a lions throat by biting it. Who's the lion now, bitch!

jc6036

• Bay Watcher
  • Bilious Slick
    • View Profile
« Reply #14519 on: July 12, 2011, 02:36:23 pm »

How about hurting your fingers on the piping hot touchpad? Because that HAS happened to me. . .
Pages: 1 ... 966 967 [968] 969 970 ... 3842