Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 967 968 [969] 970 971 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6125310 times)

Doro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #14520 on: July 12, 2011, 02:52:48 pm »

News from Bronzesun, the dwarf fortress.
3rd year in this fortress. i've lost dwarves in steady progress by silly deaths. one starved cause he locked himself into 2 square room when building wall, 2 miners died of cave-in and now, carpenter drowned when the murky pool melt.
Now a clothier went secretive but he is just sketching necessary ingredients and not getting them. He needs cloth, wood, raw gem and a skeleton... i have all of them now but he is just standing in his workshop. I believe swordsdwarf is going to cut is throat as soon as he goes berserk because i stationed my only squad of dwarves just outside his shop.
I bet if i lose a single dwarf, my fortress falls into a tantrum spiral. one of the recruits has been quite p****d off since i lost my first dorf :S
Well. clothier is anyway going to make a bag or some sort of a useless artifact. perhaps i could store my Birchen Cup the Artifact and Tetrahedrite Bracelet the Artifact and put it into a display case.

EDIT: thunder storm cut out the electricity and no more mooded dwarves
« Last Edit: July 12, 2011, 03:01:58 pm by Doro »

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
  • Ecstatic about recieving his own E:4 mug recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #14521 on: July 12, 2011, 03:43:29 pm »

@work I use a laptop that vents to the right, causing a very hot mouse-hand. I'm not running DF there though, just the default Office(r) apps. I figure running DF when breaching the caverns would probably melt its keyboard. ;)

news: recent immigrant wave more than doubled pop.
basic stockade now has 3 fortified towers crewed with/patrolled by 2 marksdwarves each.
Those squads could be expanded to 4, but more would require expansion of the stockade.
Had my part-time assault squad get rid of the zombie groundhogs, -horses, -crundle, -rabbits that were crowding the map.
Annoyingly, caged zombies are scary as hell.
Elves showed up to trade, apparently in their reality we are not at war...oh well  need to empty the finished goods stockpiles anyhow.
Priorities are now bedding for those homeless and armour for the guard, I'm sure we are at least not friendly with the goblins.
My images bucket for WIPs and such: link

thatkid

• Bay Watcher
  • <Servibot> thatkid, swag percentiles: 94
    • View Profile
« Reply #14522 on: July 12, 2011, 03:48:50 pm »

Goblins, eh?
Heres what you fucking do.
You conscript EVERY-GODDAMN-ONE.
Have every dwarf in your fort stand ready to fight the siege.
FUCKING KILL EM DEAD.

Basically, goblins running to a fort screamin murdfer get met by an entrire fortress population charging at them.
Killed a siege. No losses.
Hehe that's what I just did. I was hoping to have my strength broken, but no dice :P
Fame is a vapor. The only earthly certainty is oblivion.

LemonFrosted

• Bay Watcher
  • I can't really make you love me
    • View Profile
« Reply #14523 on: July 12, 2011, 03:56:23 pm »

My pastured animals are wrestling with eachother.  I'm seeing lots of "The horse grabs the horse by the hoof with it's left lower leg" and such.  Good stuff.

Also, I've almost got 200 dwarfs.  8)

Yeah, i've noticed that combat seems to happen when they get crowded.

How on earth are you running 200 dwarves without your computer turning into a smoking wreck? Are you getting more than ten FPS?

I really don't know how I'm managing it.  It seems to be moving at a reasonable pace, but I don't have the FPS counter on.   (When it's low, seeing just HOW low it is makes me sad.)  I haven't breached the caverns yet, and I don't have any goblins in this world.  Maybe that has something to do with it?

On the other hand, my laptop is getting pretty hot.  I've had to take breaks to keep from burning my fingers on my keyboard. 
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Unibody MBP? I've burnt my fingers on the aluminum between the keys on the top left. I'm so rough on it :-(. Now that the weather's nice and my apartment is always on the 23ēC+ side of things I've had to prop up the back and aim my fan at the computer.

Khris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14524 on: July 12, 2011, 04:00:46 pm »

How on earth are you running 200 dwarves without your computer turning into a smoking wreck? Are you getting more than ten FPS?

I'm almost at 200 dwarves too plus shitloads of dogs and cats and it runs still at around 50fps.

thatkid

• Bay Watcher
  • <Servibot> thatkid, swag percentiles: 94
    • View Profile
« Reply #14525 on: July 12, 2011, 05:19:25 pm »

I'm almost at 200 dwarves too plus shitloads of dogs and cats and it runs still at around 50fps.
I can usually do the same.
Oddly, I only ever seem to really get bad FPS when FPS is being displayed.
Fame is a vapor. The only earthly certainty is oblivion.

Dr. Hieronymous Alloy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14526 on: July 12, 2011, 06:05:38 pm »

Ok, but you aren't saying *how* :P

vhappylurker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14527 on: July 12, 2011, 06:06:09 pm »

Update from Bronzemachines:

Members of my military are training with bows and crossbows. Unfortunately, instead of using the targets I've got placed out of the way of my main path to the fort, they're either shooting at each other or they're firing at the dogs. I've already lost one mastiff shield to a trigger happy dwarf and another to old age (the first "natural" death in my fort...). No dwarven casualties yet, though.  I finally got fed up and moved barracks from the nice "ceremonial area" leading into my fort to the two spots near my watchtowers. Hopefully, they'll figure out that they need to shoot targets not other dwarfs. Upside, I may get some legendary dodgers out of this fiasco.

C0NNULL

• Bay Watcher
  • A bastion of crazy in a small area near Hurricanes
    • View Profile
« Reply #14528 on: July 12, 2011, 11:16:17 pm »

Orbsbell currently has 247 dwrfs total, (I kinda like that spelling,) with only 5 babies and 62 children. We are just on 18 years old, so after many random deaths early on, and the default LNP caps (200/100?), we have many new peasants-in-waiting. So far, 2 children graduated, but more are coming.

I have a few projects in mind. A mist generator perhaps - I could mess one up in a secluded place before I make a useful one - while I wait for a few more kids to grow up. Also, for easy mining practice for the new kids, for strength I think, I am flattening the SW corner of the map to about my entrance z-lvl. I figure that if I get the idea for an above ground thing, there will be room, and it is accessible from underneath.

I usually hover at 21 FPS at this moment. With a lot of controlled water doing my thing. And other water doing it's thing. [Nothing special, an i7 930 sufficiently cooled to run BOINC on the other 7 threads with the lowly GTS 250 running another task, (not water-cooled or O/C,) in Miami.]

The cat, Anom, approves of Scamps' methods. She admires fine scars on her human's body. She purrs in a method most disturbing. She thinks Scamps needs to train the human better. She rolls on the floor in a luxurious pile of catnip. She attacks her human lightly.
Rimamused  -  Dorfen Itza

Jalapeņo Cheesepuffs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14529 on: July 12, 2011, 11:25:32 pm »

Tried something new for an embark.

Found a place with 10+ steep cliffs and embarked with SEVEN Proficient Miners. I designated a Armok-load of rock to be dug (i.e. an awe-inspiring fortress), unpaused, and took a brisk stroll around my neighborhood. Then I came back, was suprised to see that most of my dwarves were ecstatic, and abandoned the fortress. Reclaimed with a real group of dwarves. Found it odd that my fort is named "Ironplanks" and my current dwarf group is "The Silent Planks". Anyways, about an hour or two into the fortress I notice that its main floor looks exactly like a goddamn dwarf icon, complete with black area for the eyes and mouth. The dining room makes up his nose area, and residential rooms make up his helmet. Stockpiles ringed by workshops make up the beard. Definitely not adding anything to this floor.
"The eyes are open, the mouth moves, but Mr. Brain has long since departed"

-Edmund Blackadder

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14530 on: July 12, 2011, 11:30:26 pm »

'The War Troglodyte Minkot Adiloslan has organised a party at Limestone Table.'

What? This is a troglodyte, not a dwarf. But cool, i guess...

Kay12

• Bay Watcher
  • Fighting for Elite Liberal values since 2009!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14531 on: July 13, 2011, 12:20:48 am »

At 30 dwarves, my expert carpenter was possessed and created a 4800¤ artifact wooden chair! I'm just wondering where should I put it - some noble's dining room/office or a public dining room.
Try Liberal Crime Squad, an excellent Liberal Crime adventure game by Toady One and the open source community!
LCS in SourceForge - LCS Wiki - Forum thread for 4.04

Khris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14532 on: July 13, 2011, 12:37:50 am »

Ok, but you aren't saying *how* :P

uuhh....
Well, 4x4 embark, no magma yet, my fortress is organized through a central shaft with additional staircases on the rim, the caverns are breached, I have some constructions including water, not much military.....don't know what else may influence fps.

Earth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14533 on: July 13, 2011, 01:01:19 am »

I modded goblins to reproduce like crazy, 10-20 at a time with adulthood at 3 years. Life span is only 30 however. The world im playing in has 2 dwarf empires, both on the verge of extinction. Two elf empires, that both live in the same forest at the western borders of the map, two human empires that have managed to dominte the entire eastern coastline and two goblin races, one living in between the two human empires and another in the far southwest

The syrup of apes, a dwarf kingdom has been at war with the elves for a good 100 years, and as far as I know - still are. They are losing badly and have lost every single city bar the mountainhome. The white armoury has fought the goblins since the dawn of time, and have lost almost every city.

Im currently trying to build a stronghold for the white armoury in the far southwest, within a mountain range dominated by one goblin empire that has never seen war - and is ruled by a demon. So far its the ideal location, I love the combat aspect of DF and the location has not let me down.

Right now, I just lost my milita commander/baron to a blind cave orge while trying to set my well system up and am watching it spiral into chaos, military took a beating in the 3rd level of the caverns and are still down there, while a goblin ambush attacked the fortress and ghosts are starting to hunt the place.

Im looking forward to visiting in adventure mode, that is for sure.

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14534 on: July 13, 2011, 01:20:57 am »

I just killed a Goblin Master Thief whose name was Snang Assnang. That translates as Thief Masterthief. WHAT THE HECK?
Pages: 1 ... 967 968 [969] 970 971 ... 3842