Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 965 966 [967] 968 969 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6125147 times)

thatkid

• Bay Watcher
  • <Servibot> thatkid, swag percentiles: 94
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #14490 on: July 11, 2011, 05:25:58 pm »

FPS death caused by the arrival of a siege and several ambushes at once.
I wonder who gets it listed on the kill screen, the attackers or FPS?

Regardless, my temple is basically done. I need only move the chains there and channel some areas, and I'm done. Then we shall set up strategic squads, and lower the bridge.
Fame is a vapor. The only earthly certainty is oblivion.

BodyGripper

• Bay Watcher
  • The dog is screaming.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14491 on: July 11, 2011, 06:07:41 pm »

I was just lamenting on the lack of romance in my fortress, when I saw that my mayor/metalcrafter/founder had become caught up in a new romance.  Even better, it's with a miner, who is also a founder.  Since my founding 7 are all treated like royalty (well, 6, since one went insane after becoming a baron and not having the best room), I hope they have babies, who can take over for them as the rulers of the fortress.
"I'm sorry. I'm so sorry... It's okay to sell quivers..."
I just ripped open a lions throat by biting it. Who's the lion now, bitch!

jc6036

• Bay Watcher
  • Bilious Slick
    • View Profile
« Reply #14492 on: July 11, 2011, 07:09:23 pm »

Just killed my first titan evar!!! He was a swamp titan that could breathe fire. I only lost one dwarf in the attack as well! Unfortunatley, the body set my forest on fire, causing massive lag. Im at 1 fps waiting for rain or for the fire to extinguish itself.

UristMcHuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14493 on: July 11, 2011, 09:44:09 pm »

Starting a new fort on another world of mine, picked a flat desert area with saguaros and a few shrubs, have a stream.

I'm deciding whether I should bring the finished goods or to challenge myself and bring the raw materials to make them (and I mean raw, like, the ores).

I don't know if I've got clay or not yet, so I guess I have to dig down a bit first.

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
  • King of the HFS & only man to win v0.31.25
    • View Profile
« Reply #14494 on: July 11, 2011, 10:16:16 pm »

My ring of fire has finally been built; it's open to the top, but that's the easiest part to correct (and eventually, I may even build watchtowers on top of the ring). All that's left is to wait for it to fill with magma.

And wait.

And wait.

And wait.....

Grr. Magma spreads so slowly.

ETA: It might be too slowly...the magma has gotten nearly 3/4 of the way around the ring in both directions (that is, it covers a total of around 3/4 of the ring), and really isn't going any further...
=Uncool-

How are you drawing the magma at the base of the pump stack? Is it coming directly out of the magma sea, or via some sort of inlet channel you dug into it from the side?

uncool

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14495 on: July 11, 2011, 10:57:30 pm »

My ring of fire has finally been built; it's open to the top, but that's the easiest part to correct (and eventually, I may even build watchtowers on top of the ring). All that's left is to wait for it to fill with magma.

And wait.

And wait.

And wait.....

Grr. Magma spreads so slowly.

ETA: It might be too slowly...the magma has gotten nearly 3/4 of the way around the ring in both directions (that is, it covers a total of around 3/4 of the ring), and really isn't going any further...
=Uncool-

How are you drawing the magma at the base of the pump stack? Is it coming directly out of the magma sea, or via some sort of inlet channel you dug into it from the side?
I'm using a volcano that's above the surface. I personally don't like to use pumps (probably because I haven't yet figured out how to properly use them yet) and pumps are especially hard on the glacier volcano map that I've been using recently, since farms have to be established really, really quickly.

On a side note, the waiting has paid off - there are no more 1s in the ring, so no more evaporation.
=Uncool-

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #14496 on: July 11, 2011, 11:23:56 pm »

in one fort, forgotten beast just arrived. First in 8-9 years...

In the other, digging. Lots of digging. Not enough diggers.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

BloodBeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14497 on: July 12, 2011, 12:10:22 am »

I was just lamenting on the lack of romance in my fortress, when I saw that my mayor/metalcrafter/founder had become caught up in a new romance.  Even better, it's with a miner, who is also a founder.  Since my founding 7 are all treated like royalty (well, 6, since one went insane after becoming a baron and not having the best room), I hope they have babies, who can take over for them as the rulers of the fortress.

Talk about lack of romance, Daggerdepths has had 1 marriage in 19 years, and that one was in the first couple years. My chief mason and militia commander have been lovers for basically the whole time   :-\

I guess you can say I keep my dwarves too busy to have a social life. Not that i'm try to stop them, I actually want dwarves to hook up and made babies. At some point i'll need to force myself to halt all projects, raise the drawbridge and let them party.

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14498 on: July 12, 2011, 12:27:52 am »

Siiiigh.  All 5 of my mining dwarves managed to entomb themselves in the pump stack.  Is it too hard for them to NOT stand on the side that has no exit?  I managed to save one of them.  I only knew because one of the others died of dehydration

thatkid

• Bay Watcher
  • <Servibot> thatkid, swag percentiles: 94
    • View Profile
« Reply #14499 on: July 12, 2011, 01:50:47 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

The siege was eventually broken, at the cost of all but a single axe dwarf and pretty much everybody in the fort who wasn't actually useless. Deler almost survived, but he bled out just as Urdim was leading a band of 30 dwarves (Urdim made 31) into the courtyard to kill the remaining trolls. The bridge is going to stay down for a while, because there's a lot of crap that I need to stockpile, wounded beyond the walls, and also because this fort has FPS death and I'd rather everyone die than I just abandon. As I'm typing this I'm waiting for the next swarm of ambushes and thieves.

If I'm lucky, maybe a caravan will come and we can trade away some crap. Then again...maybe not.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2011, 02:28:38 am by thatkid »
Fame is a vapor. The only earthly certainty is oblivion.

Urist_McArathos

• Bay Watcher
  • Nobody enjoys a good laugh more than I do.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14500 on: July 12, 2011, 02:07:59 am »

Was goofing around with a minimal-ish build when I happened across the greatest embark ever.

Oh, it was too perfect (link in my sig), so I couldn't just rush in with a bunch of random-ass ore and hope for the best.

No, only the Kingdom's FINEST could go.  This was a site overflowing with wealth and power.  I decided to abandon, since the original seven likely took one look at its immense wealth and ran home to tell everyone how important this find is.

I'm reclaiming with a hardened, well-equipped group of BADASSES who WILL make this a capital worthy of all the dwarves in the WORLD!

Welcome to Delerilrom Limar Anam; Stealpeaks, the Wealth of Ages.

Our civ has been renamed: the group that will claim it, and one day have the king call this place home: Oltarosor Zustash; The Gilded Kingdom of Ancients.

Should be fun..and hopefully, Fun.
Current Community/Story Projects:
On the Nature of Dwarves

lazygun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14501 on: July 12, 2011, 05:28:45 am »

Gildautumn faced another siege this winter. I should have expected it after one of my dwarfs was possessed and made a 700K adamantine chain. But still... 70 gobbos, including three marksgobbo squads, and ten trolls.

Those marksgobbo squads included a couple of elites, who managed to hit two of my marksdwarves through the fortifications. Grr... Meanwhile, I discovered a flaw in my defences when another squad started shooting from a low hill on the other side of the river, OVER my walls and killing a black bear and some wardogs hanging around the kennels. While I was distracted, the main force managed to charge through my traps, over the drawbridge and through the front doors before I could lock them. Time to release the hounds! I have a room next to the gate set as a pen for wardogs and since I've hit the dog cap (no new puppies for years) it was very full. They ran into the corridor, annoyed the gobbos, didn't do much damage, but did soak up many, many crossbow bolts and arrows so my hammer and axe squads could counterattack in relative safety. One huge mess followed.

One siege operator ran heroically into the dog room to throw the lever and nothing happened... I forgot to link up the bridge after I rebuilt it in gold blocks.

Casualties: one marksdwarf, one axedwarf, and my duchess. I don't know WHAT she was doing in the entry hall, but one of the gobbos managed to get a shot to weave past all that carnage and hit her. End of mandate... that probably saved a random dwarf's life! I also lost most of my wardogs and have 5 military dwarfs in the hospital.

Clean up has been going on for a whole season and I've only just managed to haul away the rotting corpses and body parts.

noah22223

• Bay Watcher
  • No. you fucking lose.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14502 on: July 12, 2011, 06:18:03 am »

Goblins, eh?
Heres what you fucking do.
You conscript EVERY-GODDAMN-ONE.
Have every dwarf in your fort stand ready to fight the siege.
FUCKING KILL EM DEAD.

Basically, goblins running to a fort screamin murdfer get met by an entrire fortress population charging at them.
Killed a siege. No losses.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hWTFG3J1CP8
So I'm a Depressing Jesus Wizard being stalked by Satan Lights, and my home's wiring is going bad?
Goddammit.

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14503 on: July 12, 2011, 07:53:01 am »

Had a bunch of Crundles spawn atop one one of the walls blocking the cavern.  Right on the edge of the map, so i cant dig a ramp down and the dorfs wont go near it to knock the wall down.  I THINK I've solved the problem though - sent the marksdwarf squad up to a nearby spot to use them for target practice

Gyvon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14504 on: July 12, 2011, 09:02:21 am »

Just finished digging out bedrooms.  Everyone gets 3x3 and a cabinet.
Pages: 1 ... 965 966 [967] 968 969 ... 3842