Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 893 894 [895] 896 897 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6112875 times)

hjd_uk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #13410 on: May 18, 2011, 07:40:29 am »

I just deviseda cave in but it didnt fall :S I mined/deconstructed all around a 3x3x1 set of blocks but it didnt fall.

Side-on: # is solid, . is open space, _ is floor
Code: [Select]
#_____#
#.___.#
#.###.#
#_____#

Im puzzled, and i'm going to savescumm to figure out why it didn't work.

FrisianDude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13411 on: May 18, 2011, 08:10:37 am »

Hell, I wish it was parties too. Instead I swear my dwarves are juggling mushrooms. They're all eternally on 'hauling' missions... but everything is where it's meant to be.
Dude, tell your miners to stop hauling. Then you can finally get some work done. :P
A tiny, foul-tempered humanoid creature that dwells in the evil mountains. They are known to enjoy drinking liquor and will take any unguarded supplies of booze.

hjd_uk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13412 on: May 18, 2011, 08:22:29 am »

I just deviseda cave in but it didnt fall :S I mined/deconstructed all around a 3x3x1 set of blocks but it didnt fall.

Side-on: # is solid, . is open space, _ is floor
#_____#
#.___.#
#.###.#
#_____#

Im puzzled, and i'm going to savescumm to figure out why it didn't work.

Tried again ,apparently Dwarven Physics sticks floors to their ceilings, I had to mine out the floor  above:
#_..._#
#.___.#
#.###.#
#_____#

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #13413 on: May 18, 2011, 08:39:37 am »

Tried again ,apparently Dwarven Physics sticks floors to their ceilings, I had to mine out the floor  above:
That never happened to me... Strange.

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 
will rena,eme sique to sique sxds-- siquo if sucessufil
(cant spel siqou a. every speling looks wroing (hate this))

FrisianDude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13414 on: May 18, 2011, 09:00:37 am »

Just killed my Goblin prisoners. Four Swordsgoblins and a thief. They didn't kill any of my militia (not even the newly born daughter.) despite that I didn't want to wait for my dorfs to take their gear. The thief, remarkably, lasted longest.
A tiny, foul-tempered humanoid creature that dwells in the evil mountains. They are known to enjoy drinking liquor and will take any unguarded supplies of booze.

Niccolo

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Sweet top hat]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13415 on: May 18, 2011, 10:19:06 am »

Hell, I wish it was parties too. Instead I swear my dwarves are juggling mushrooms. They're all eternally on 'hauling' missions... but everything is where it's meant to be.
Dude, tell your miners to stop hauling. Then you can finally get some work done. :P

Did that. (Dwarf Therapist is drool-worthy and awesome.) My miners - assigned to a burrow specifically to dig out a workshop for steel production - decided after a few minutes that they MUST GO WASH THAT PATIENT NAO. So I switched that off and they all took breaks. Naturally.

My Chief Medic is also being helluva lazy. I'm tempted to hand him a pick and make him carve out his own goddamn hospital. If he costs me another patient, I swear I'm going to feed him to the capybaras.

On another note, I'm finally getting iron production up and running! My dwarves are up to their asses in haematite, so I should be good. Hell, I should be able to train my weaponsmith and armoursmith up to legendary quickly.

Good times a-comin'.
What's wrong with using magma? That's almost always the easiest method.
I have issues channeling it properly to do that method. I end up flooding the fortress with magma.
Check out my RtD!

FrisianDude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13416 on: May 18, 2011, 10:20:47 am »

CMD's are SUPPOSED to be lazy. Odd that all your miners (two, three?) went on break, though.

Niccolo

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Sweet top hat]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13417 on: May 18, 2011, 10:26:49 am »

CMD's are SUPPOSED to be lazy. Odd that all your miners (two, three?) went on break, though.

Eh, they're just lazy fuckers. I had to train them from scratch, since my near-legendary miner went and dropped part of the ceiling on his stupid head.

Then goblins brutally raped the next ones.

So, yeah.
What's wrong with using magma? That's almost always the easiest method.
I have issues channeling it properly to do that method. I end up flooding the fortress with magma.
Check out my RtD!

FrisianDude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13418 on: May 18, 2011, 10:41:45 am »

And you still didn't have a hospital? :o In the last few games I had a hospital up and running before thinking about a depot.  :-[

Oh well. Just whiped out a group of Bowgoblins with one crossbow. They wounded a dog and two puppies and all but one died. They were spotted JUST after an Elf caravan arrived on my map and were dead before they started unpacking. :3

Edit; Feckarse, I should have checked for the second batch. Hammergoblins led by a morningstar-bearer. They killed two alpacas, a pet dog and Sigun Cerolag, a militiawoman who had been wounded twice before. My Militia Commander killed one Hammergoblin. He and two other militiamembers were knocked unconscious quite close to eachother. A stray war dog, now assigned to the MCom attacked the last goblin to be on my map but was knocked out as well. The Mcom is being taken to hospital, one of the other unconscious militamen is walking away on his own and the third should be okay as well.  :-[ Two militians were asleep and the last was too far away.

THESE guys spawned in my pasture so now I have to collect my animals. Minus my two alpacas. :(
« Last Edit: May 18, 2011, 11:12:26 am by FrisianDude »

Stoup

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13419 on: May 18, 2011, 04:09:40 pm »

I'm about to have to dig twelve graves.

Arrowfire, prior to this, has been unstoppable. With only a few deaths scattered here and there, the dwarves' master of engineering has lead them to a long, successful life.

Then Kul came along.

"A great feathered leech, it has a square shell and a gaunt appearance. Its BRONZE feathers are long and narrow. Beware its poisonous vapors!"

When it first arrived, I wrote it off as harmless. This was because I thought I had sealed off the first cavern layer, after a stripping operation of a small portion of the caves' woods and plantlife.

There was one small opening, only one, through which my captain of the guard unwittingly passed in a hunt for spiders' webs. Though the beast was too slow to catch up with him, when they first encountered one another the startled terror released its deathly gases.

Thankfully, the captain decided not to try and duke it out against this guy using his wooden axe. Instead, he ran right back the way he came. Before he even got halfway back, however, his body erupted in blisters, inside and out. He was dead moments after the extract began to take effect.

Now knowing the power of this beast, I panicked to try and seal off the breach.

This was not at all effective. By the time the captain died, the beast's bloodthirst went off. It stormed in the same direction my captain had taken... while several dwarves ran out to attempt to recover what of the captain's stuff I had failed to forbid. I naturally made sure ALL was forbidden, yet several of the woodcutters with orders to chop trees continued in the direction of the approaching terror.

The beast stormed up onto the upper entrance level, sliding along towards my hauling dwarves. Fortunately, only one of them got close enough to the beast to be affected by its noxious outburst... but that dwarf died even faster than the captain. I decided to cut my losses and lock the doors leading into the cavern layer, in spite of the two or three dwarves still wandering down there on various tasks. Things started going my way after this; if I could get the beast into the trap hallway it would be caught in a cage thanks to my tamed giant cave spider+cage trap combo.

The beast smashed one of the doors down. My main military force was now active, waiting around the corner should things go south with the spider.

In the time it took Kul to destroy the second door, more woodcutters and haulers started storming down the cage hall, now that the previously locked door was gone. Infuriatingly, one of the bloody workers ran right into the freaking beast before FLEEING INTO THE CAVERNS. If he hadn't appeared, the GCS would have trapped that horrid monster in a cage, and I would have thrown it into magma and have been done with it.

This was not fated to be. After chasing the woodcutter to the northern extreme of the cave level, Kul got bored and, thankfully, started sliding back towards the door. Things started going back my way again, until another wave of workers stormed out of the entrance and repeated the woodcutter's idiotic scheme.

At this point I decided that I would never be able to lure the beast into my traps. With one door missing there was no way to stop the dwarves from entering the caverns... So I sent the military after the beast.

Being clad in full adamantine, and all being at least adept with their respective weapons, the dwarves quickly dispatched the beast... but not nearly quickly enough. It had covered every single one head to toe in its extracts. With a heavy heart, I removed their kill order, and watched them march a few triumphant steps away from the beast before they dropped their weapons, and went straight to the ground.

Such is the present state of affairs in my fort. Ten dwarves are lying in a limbo, waiting to die, covered in fatal juices, in one of the most heavily-trodden areas of my fortress. I wonder if this is the beginning of the end for all of my dwarves

In hindsight I realize that I really should have simply left the bloody caverns alone. My decision to clear them of resources was purely on a whim, with no element of necessity present. I didn't need either the wood, nor the gems, nor the plants I took from that cave. My greed, I see now, was the downfall of the lives of these twelve dwarves, ten of which were vital parts of of the fortress's past and, probably, future.

Also, your input: Is it safe for the bodies to be hauled? I'm going to put them into a dwarven atom smasher, so contamination after disposal isn't too much of a concern, but if the haulers catch anything... all hell will break loose.

Additionally, what in god's name do i do with the equipment? Simply laying it to disuse seems unthinkable, but I don't have any methods for washing it off...

Edit1: Holy shitballs, one of the squad members survived. The lucky/lazy bastard was up in the barracks, probably scrambling for his equipment, whilst my other dwarves were down there being killed.

Two options for this guy: Magma, or leader of the new army?
« Last Edit: May 18, 2011, 04:20:54 pm by Stoup »

celem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13420 on: May 18, 2011, 04:25:06 pm »

Im cursing over my forgotten beasts too.  I had a pair in one cavern, one with noxious gases so I decided to dig a magma shower for them and rigged some bridges before gingerly opening to the cavern.

First up was a tail stinger so i sealed him in the maze and let a guard squad in.  I've reset now for the gas guy, with a duck chained under a magma pump but the bugger is just sitting in the water by the well scaring everyone and not moving :(

Elsewhere I beat off a small goblin seige.  Squad of spears lead by hammerlord on beak dogs, squad of xbows lead by elite xbow also on dogs.  Squad of trolls to round things up.  Unfortunatly an anti-climax.  The spears hit the disc trap by the front gate and most lost their mount before hitting a crossbow hail.  Melee went off early and 4 died to the hammerlord who seemed to have a thing for headshots through masterwork steel helms.  Crossbow goblins bailed which was nice, they arrived at the other gate right as the first attack's trolls were cleaned up but turned and fled without even hitting the gateway discs.
Marksdwarf Pillboxes
I wish I had something cool to say about this.  Because it's really cool.

Mr. Argent

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:TRAITOROUS_NATURE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13421 on: May 18, 2011, 04:34:52 pm »

Just started a new fortress, and due to a supply choice oversight i have started without a axe, which is a shame because the fort is in the perfect spot.

Abandon, or try to rise to the challenge of starting a wood-less bed-less fort?
Urist McVenom Cancels strange mood: Being exiled.

celem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13422 on: May 18, 2011, 04:37:11 pm »

three planks in the wagon....carpenters shop and 2 axes :)
Marksdwarf Pillboxes
I wish I had something cool to say about this.  Because it's really cool.

Stoup

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13423 on: May 18, 2011, 04:42:40 pm »

Ok, decided to chance it and simply unforbid the equipment. Now it's all back into circulation. Perhaps I can afflict mine enemies with this horrible disease when the weapons pierce their flesh!

This fort's been going strong for too long :D
« Last Edit: May 18, 2011, 04:44:25 pm by Stoup »

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #13424 on: May 18, 2011, 04:59:45 pm »

Finally found a cavern layer. It's deep, real deep, and considering the bug I created by permitting duplicate plants to exist I think it's only the first layer. Oh well: There's room above it for an enormous and impressive temple space!

Pathing is a bit of a problem though; the fort is a maze of confusing passages and the wells are a good distance out. No going back though, my fps is still good 8)

I finally remembered to turn invaders back on. Anticipating some bloodshed in the most peaceful fortress yet (no deaths in five years!) I just need my broker to hurry up and stealpurchase a good supply of starting armor from the cobalds, who bring mithril! My own metalsmiths are churning out bars to begin armor and weapon production, afterwards the militia will take our danger room for a spin. Still need to hook that thing up to a lever though...
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.
Pages: 1 ... 893 894 [895] 896 897 ... 3842