Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 891 892 [893] 894 895 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6112566 times)

Oaktree

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #13380 on: May 16, 2011, 07:36:12 pm »

New to the game and finding wonderful ways to break goblin sieges.  Enjoyed watching a pressure pad triggered bridge drop most of a squad of goblin cavalry to their doom along with some trolls.  The general in front looked back... and saw nothing. 

Topper was a goblin x-bow squad camped out in one of my approach tunnels when a dragon appeared.  Dragon headed for the same tunnel and there was a sudden confrontation.  Simultaneous exchange of bolts and dragonfire.  The smoke started to clear and... two trolls walked out.
(They were caught in wood cages.  The dragonfire burned the cages away while the cage shielded the trolls.)  Once the trolls were dispatched a crew was sent up to recover the non-incinerated goblin armor.
Armorer McUrist cancels forge steel mailshirt, interrupted by minecart

MasterMorality

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13381 on: May 16, 2011, 07:48:19 pm »

Ah Maelstrom died finally today. Forgetting her bardiche, she charged headlong into battle and was swiftly killed. Congratulation old girl, you did the fortress proud, but you are/were really fucking stupid.

Nasikabatrachus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who watchdwarfs the watchdwarves?
    • View Profile
« Reply #13382 on: May 16, 2011, 08:04:26 pm »

(They were caught in wood cages.  The dragonfire burned the cages away while the cage shielded the trolls.)  Once the trolls were dispatched a crew was sent up to recover the non-incinerated goblin armor.

Aha! There's my solution. Wooden cages for the trolls and fast units. Trapped in magma the cages will burn away, then the trolls will burn too.
"I want to have goblins about me, for I am courageous. The courage which scareth away ghosts, createth for itself goblins--it wanteth to laugh." Thus Spake Zarathustra, chapter 7, Friedrich Nietzsche

Stoup

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13383 on: May 16, 2011, 08:15:44 pm »

My high master cook just grabbed a single obsidian boulder and has begun working on a mysterious (possessed) construction in a Mason's workshop.

This ought to be interesting. I imagine it'll be some stone shrine to plump helmet roast.

Oh shit, a siege. This ought to be interesting. Only about a page of units mostly axemen and spearmen. There's a bowmaster and several blizzard men as well though...

-shudders-. I've only ever encountered blizzard men in the Arena before. And that was when I was testing the effects of fire on them. They're invulnerable to it.

Shitshitshit. 16 freaking blizzardmen? This ought to be !!FUN!! (though any magma-related trap is nowhere near completion in my fort)
« Last Edit: May 16, 2011, 08:25:58 pm by Stoup »

FaultyLogic

• Bay Watcher
  • [EDIBLE_RAW]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13384 on: May 16, 2011, 08:18:41 pm »

They had arrived in the far north a month ago. At the fringes of the goblin domain they had been tasked with building an outpost, to monitor the dark citadel in the distance. But Datan Clashdiamonds wasn't worried about goblins now. He tried desperately to keep his crossbow aimed towards the single obsidian door while wiping beads of sweat from his brow. They had heard their low howls all the way down in the only room of the fort, as they were hauling the last items inside. As the dwarves took cover in silence, thundering footsteps could be heard in the tunnel above, drawing nearer quickly. Soon they could hear their heavy breathing on the other side of the door. Datan swallowed hard, closing his eyes for a moment and wishing they had more time to set up traps. 
"It's unpossible!"

Couchmonster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13385 on: May 16, 2011, 08:47:08 pm »

At the moment I am trying that glass serated disc trap thingy someone posted here in the forum :)
My dwarfs are fortifying my overground position at the moment with catapults and medi-evil like walls.
The last goblin siege went off after they couldn't penetrate my walls with marksdwarfs on top... I think they will be back with archers :(

BUT I WILL BE PREPARED!!! :D

Niccolo

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Sweet top hat]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13386 on: May 16, 2011, 08:49:13 pm »

In other news  I'm throwing five puppies into a magma pipe in the name of Armok. There's not nearly enough bloodshed in this fort of mine...

Okay... for some reason, this disturbs me. I don't know why.

I think it's 'cause they're puppies and not a catsplosion.
What's wrong with using magma? That's almost always the easiest method.
I have issues channeling it properly to do that method. I end up flooding the fortress with magma.
Check out my RtD!

Stoup

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13387 on: May 16, 2011, 08:53:27 pm »

Well I get puppysplosions, and have recently had minor bursts of bunny and pigsplosions.

Those puppies actually served science, though! They landed on the "magma flow" at the bottom of the pipe, and revealed that I have TWO magma pipes at my embark. This one I just discovered, though, is down on the third cavern layer, which I haven't plundered yet.

This siege is going hilariously. I never thought my copper weapon traps would be very effective, but holy hell, they sure are.
Helps having masses of masterwork bolts to rain down on those goblin throats too.

Update: Oh shit, this is AWESOME. After having ground the first two goblin squads into a fine mulch, I closed the drawbridges at both ends of my trap corridor, and filled it with water from a reservoir I had placed above in the event I wanted to drown a particularly annoying frog-like invader. So I sealed it up, filled it with water, and managed to drown a lone axegobbo who was chilling on a spent cage trap. Amusingly enough, the water washed him into one of the adjacent serrated disk traps, and he started panicking between fighting the current onto the cage trap and being mulched on the disks. Eventually he just drowned I think, didn't bother reading the combat logs once the archers started chipping bones all over the place.

So I let him stew in there, while his buddies started assembling on the outside of the first drawbridge to the fort. Now normally I would drain the water over the other drawbridge, which has access to a brook for drainage, but instead I decided to let the water spill out the front of my fort to the feet of the remaining two goblins squads.

The gore is glorious. It's not water draining, it's pure blood, with goblin arms surfing the hideous tide to give the remaining invaders a high-five.

I love Dwarf fortress.

Update2: The siege is now broken. An entire squad of goblin spearmen, in addition to almost all of the blizzard men, AND a squad of trolls, all left without fighting. Hell, I raised the gate and started collecting the goblinite before they left! There's one blizzard man left that my marksdwarves used as practice. He's unconscious, both his arms and both his legs are cut to shit from my bone bolts. Time to see how tough these things really are.

From this battle, I have learned two things:
1. The trees around my entrance seriously need cutting. The gobbos were hiding behind them fairly effectively, and even with a Z-level of vantage on them I don't know if my marksdwarves had a good shot.
2. I need to extend my marksdwarves' range of fire. They can't hit anything directly in front of the gate...
« Last Edit: May 16, 2011, 09:24:36 pm by Stoup »

Couchmonster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13388 on: May 16, 2011, 09:43:26 pm »

hehe I once connected my serrated disc bridge traps water bassin with my fortress waterfalls system.
Showering vomit and blood everywhere in my legendary dining hall! That was cool! :D

FaultyLogic

• Bay Watcher
  • [EDIBLE_RAW]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13389 on: May 16, 2011, 10:15:59 pm »

The two ogres broke through the door, and were immediately set upon by the forts four dogs. At the same time, Datan peppered them with bolts from his position. The ogres fell without any dwarf or dog taking any injuries.

Wich is pretty amazing, since I've done about five new forts in this area in the course of one hour. All died to ogres in the beginning.

During the next months a few more ogres attacked the fort. But this time the defences were ready, and toppling stones crushed their heads. Not until the fort ran out of drink, forcing the dwarves to go out to the river did the dwarves see the death of their own. First it was the liason, who got seperated from his caravan and killed by an ogress. Later, Datan Clashdiamonds was struck down in the woods coming back from the river. He was the first of the dwarves at Tomedwelled to die, but probably not the last.
"It's unpossible!"

Nasikabatrachus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who watchdwarfs the watchdwarves?
    • View Profile
« Reply #13390 on: May 17, 2011, 02:48:05 am »

Note to self: make bins early and often. After 9 in game years of painted seeds, not taking the fort seriously at all, whenever I make bins the whole fort jumps into action putting things into bins.

I was surprised when I noticed the year was 261: I founded Paintedseeds in 252. A dwarf recently came of age here who was one when the fort was founded. For all I know, he was born in the fort, but I doubt it. This fort has been scoured down to its core by sieges that got into the main halls, and yet it still survives. Something like one hundred dwarves have died here. I doubt if even two of the original seven dwarves still live, even as ghosts. And finally after all this time I am able to make hoary marmot leather items for the duchess. The vile fiend condemned four dwarves to death by dehydration in her lust for leather!

A siege just arrived, and the engineerdwarves are putting the finishing touches on an alternate method of filling the magma death chamber...
"I want to have goblins about me, for I am courageous. The courage which scareth away ghosts, createth for itself goblins--it wanteth to laugh." Thus Spake Zarathustra, chapter 7, Friedrich Nietzsche

Tharwen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13391 on: May 17, 2011, 10:34:31 am »

The magma death chamber is up and running.

Unfortunately it fills up slowly and the magma "evaporates" a tad too slow. On top of this, the fast units like trolls get to the fort end of the chamber before the goblin squads do, meaning I must either close the chamber, preventing the squads from pathing into the fort, or I must have a buttload of traps to catch the fast ones while the slow squads catch up. I didn't realize this until after I had committed to destroying the latest siege, so the first couple runs have been very, very slow. However, two goblin squads have been melted in the chamber, and the siege was broken. Now to work on filling the chamber faster, shrinking the total room size with bridges or something to allow for better drainage, and executing the prisoners of war.

You could build loads and loads of doors in the way, so that the early units get delayed while destroying those and the others have time to catch up.
[Signature]

malimbar04

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13392 on: May 17, 2011, 11:31:44 am »

Having fun now that I've turned off invasions. I'll turn them back on eventually, but for now I don't want to have to worry about ghosts and a "meh" military. Currently I'm working on the glorious precious-metal floor of my jail. If anyone gets sent there... they will come out feeling like they're the kings of the world (since you know, they're in better conditions than the king is).
No! No! I will not massacre my children. Instead, I'll make them corpulent on crappy mass-produced quarry bush biscuits and questionably grown mushroom alcohol, and then send them into the military when they turn 12...

FrisianDude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13393 on: May 17, 2011, 11:43:50 am »

I've never heard of either possibility before, but now I have a Dorf who likes Goblins (for their menacing features) and a Dorf who likes Humans (for their stature.)
A tiny, foul-tempered humanoid creature that dwells in the evil mountains. They are known to enjoy drinking liquor and will take any unguarded supplies of booze.

bucket

• Bay Watcher
  • i am a bucket.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13394 on: May 17, 2011, 12:53:39 pm »

I had such a good fort layout going... until I discovered that the caverns are only 6 Z-levels down. My OCD is compelling me to abandon.
Pages: 1 ... 891 892 [893] 894 895 ... 3842